Greenstreet Cycles (Moving to 24th & Harney)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

DTmatt
New to the Neighborhood

Greenstreet Cycles (Moving to 24th & Harney)

Post by DTmatt »

Greenstreet Cycles (13th and Mike Fahey St.)

It still feels weird to call it Mike Fahey Street.

Anyways, I just found this group on Facebook.  Looks like they are opening a bike store in the 22 Floors building.  Not much information is known but according to their status yesterday, they were being interviewed by the Omaha World Herald so look for a story to appear soon.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Omaha-NE/ ... ymk&v=wall

Is there any other bike stores in or around downtown?  This should be a cool little shop, which will definitely cater to the crowd that the Slowdown, Film Streams, Urban Outfitters, etc. attract.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

No but I think this is a great place for a bike store. There are tons of people biking into DT everyday and this would be a convenient place for them to pick up what they need.
DTO
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is an absolute WONDERFUL tenant for that area, and for the rest of Downtown, since there's no bike shops in the area (the closest being Recycle Bicycle on 13th or Olympia on 40th).

This will be an amazing asset to Downtown residents and to bicycle commuters alike.

The web site says coming in March 2010.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

they have a cool logo, too.
Go Cubs Go
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Their Facebook says there will be an article in the Money section on Tuesday.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

What a great addition to the area and community.  I wish them success.  It would be great to rent bikes in that area come spring.  The area is flat and easy to get around in.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Quick shot from tonight:
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

BIG write-up in today's Omaha World-Herald MONEY section.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20091215/MONEY/712159963

Here are a few excerpts:
A pedal-peddling retailer is spinning into north downtown, selling bicycles and related accessories for everyone from racers to commuters and offering bike rentals and taxis to tourists, concertgoers and future ballpark visitors.
Christensen, the 22 Floors building developer, said the bike shop complements other nearby businesses. They include the independent theater Film Streams, retailers Urban Outfitters and American Apparel, Blue Line Coffee and Slowdown bar.

And because the bike shop is not just selling bikes but promoting social activities, it especially fits with 22 Floors, he said. The apartments’ first-floor lounge, featuring a flat-screen television, Xbox video game system, pool table and laundry facilities, is meant to encourage socializing among the Generation Y tenants.

Swan said the bike shop plans to offer spin classes, social bike rides and “gold sprints,” in which bikes are raced in place at entertainment spots like bars.
“Bikes are cool right now,” he [Jason Kulbel] said.
What: Bicycle equipment and service store that also will lead free social rides, offer spin classes, rent bikes for rides on nearby trails and the pedestrian bridge, and provide three-wheeled bike taxis that transport two to four people to downtown destinations
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Its always a good sign when they have a golden retriever in their store!
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

You could not ask for a better location.  They are located by a major university, in a new trendy part of town, and next to one of the worlds best pedestrian bridges.  I wish them nothing but success.
where the corn meets the concrete
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

DTO Luv wrote:There are tons of people biking into DT everyday.
Really???
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I know UP has a lot that do and I always saw many regulars even going back and forth from DT and Midtown when I worked at Mutual. Maybe "tons of people" is a bit much but there are many bike commuters into DT.
DTO
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Sarah Johnson and Andy Pedley from Greenstreet Cycles met with me last week for some coffee and showed me around the shop. It's really going to be a spectacular space, in addition to the physical asset it will become for Downtown. The people behind this project are great people and I know it's going to be a huge success.

I didn't catch any interior shots, as it is still very much in progress, but here are some pictures of some interesting, custom bike racks that will be in the exterior corridor next to the shop.

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Great update photos Streets!
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

Those are some fantastic looking bike racks.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Cool sign:
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

[youtube][/youtube]
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

The sign looks great (especially on a street-fronted building with a sidewalk!).

That is also one of my favorite gags in Super Troopers.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

Like I said in that other thread.  I really enjoy all the interesting signs in the north downtown area.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Has anyone checked it out yet?  I want to get over there at some point, but until i do, i am curious to see what it's like, the bikes they carry, parts, etc.
Go Cubs Go
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

thenewguy wrote:Has anyone checked it out yet?  I want to get over there at some point, but until i do, i am curious to see what it's like, the bikes they carry, parts, etc.
I don't think they're open yet.  I believe that I heard somewhere that Grand Opening is scheduled for March 1....
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

ah my bad.  I thought they said they had a soft opening on their facebook page.  I need to pay more attention :)
Go Cubs Go
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I walked past yesterday. The store isn't stocked yet, but the interior space is done or very close to done.
morgan
New to the Neighborhood

Post by morgan »

we just wrote up a piece about Greenstreet Cycles - we interviewed Sarah, the shop manager... let us know what you think, I know they'd love to hear your comments
Omaha.net - we're looking for writers!

Omaha.net on Facebook
@Omaha_NET on Twitter
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

On their facebook page, Greenstreet announced a big open house tomorrow with discounts on new bikes and accessories.  I'm jealous not to be in Omaha yet as I've been coveting a nice new commuter.  I'm afraid I'm getting a bit sick of my crappy old Roadmaster.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

Greenstreet is either doing well or they have a lot of people stopping by on cycle taking a look.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

windsor wrote:Greenstreet is either doing well or they have a lot of people stopping by on cycle taking a look.
I was at Goodnings the other night an there were a lot of people going by greenstreets.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

When we went to Goodnights tonight, Greenstreet had a U-Haul out front and they were moving everything out.  Apparently they Leased their space during the CWS and they are moving out for a couple weeks.

cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

There will be bike parking right outside though during the series.  I believe its secure and even has staff watching it.
Brad
City Council

Re: Greenstreet Cycles (13th and Mike Fahey St.)

Post by Brad »

Is Green Street cycle moving to 24th and Harney Street next to wag? I am sure I just saw their sign on the window.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I think that was left there bc that is their temporary location during the CWS.
nwenn
New to the Neighborhood

Post by nwenn »

They will be moving into the Kellog Hotel building in March along with Mug Life Coffee.
Per Greenstreet's Facebook page "Muglife will be joining us in our Harney St. location come March 2015 as a full service coffee shop, and we are stoked"
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

nwenn wrote:They will be moving into the Kellog Hotel building in March along with Mug Life Coffee.
Per Greenstreet's Facebook page "Muglife will be joining us in our Harney St. location come March 2015 as a full service coffee shop, and we are stoked"
Thanks for the info.

North Downtown continues to lose businesses. I can't believe Urban Outfitters is still open down there either.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:
nwenn wrote:They will be moving into the Kellog Hotel building in March along with Mug Life Coffee.
Thanks for the info.

North Downtown continues to lose businesses.  I can't believe Urban Outfitters is still open down there either.
Too may absentee owners that only care about making a buck two weeks a year and not about the health of the city. Really Sad. So much potential that will never see the light of day...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:
Thanks for the info.

North Downtown continues to lose businesses.  I can't believe Urban Outfitters is still open down there either.
Too may absentee owners that only care about making a buck two weeks a year and not about the health of the city.  Really Sad.  So much potential that will never see the light of day...
I really think North Downtown is riding a very close line to being a complete development failure. A couple more years of closings(Goodnight's, Blue Line, UO are iffy IMO) and that area could become a complete event wasteland.

Such a shame that an incredible music venue/art house theater complex opened and next to nothing else has happened in the area.
samwise
New to the Neighborhood

Post by samwise »

Hey guys, my name is Sam. If you have any questions I work at Greenstreet.

We will be moving in March of 2015 to 2452 Harney St.
It's a better location for us, more room, already own building, etc.

It definitely does stink that North Downtown is dwindling such as it is.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

It needs a development anchor is all. CLink and Ameritrade aren't it.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

samwise wrote:Hey guys, my name is Sam. If you have any questions I work at Greenstreet.

Welcome to the forum!

I don't blame you guys for the move, it makes a ton of sense especially with that part of Downtown on the upswing.

Hopefully there will be an awesome cycle track on Harney right in front of your shop in a few years!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

samwise wrote:Hey guys, my name is Sam. If you have any questions I work at Greenstreet.

Thanks for that info Sam. I hope the new location works out better. Welcome to eOmahaForums! Don't be a stranger...