New Veterans Hospital

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Re: New Veterans Hospital

Post by Dundeemaha »

It used to be an 18 hole golf course without a road running through the middle of it.
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

Yes, there has always been a road going through it but I though that it also occupied the land the VA is on now?
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

lmdramos wrote:maybe if they close that site there will be renewed interest to close the street and have field club buy the land so they can make their course how it used to be.
I'm not a golfer, and know even less about the business of running a course, but it seems doubtful that it would make financial sense to buy and develop prime urban real estate for an extra 9 holes on an existing course.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.dailyjournal.net/view/story/ ... ital-Omaha
The analysis by Omaha-based Booz Allen Hamilton released Monday says funding now could be delayed until the late 2020s. The analysis points to a $9 billion backlog of approved projects and VA infrastructure needs that could reach $60 billion.

"There never really was any real chance there was going to be a new hospital here," said U.S. Rep. Brad Ashford, D-2nd District.
Well we can close the book on this one.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

So now what?
15-17, 26, 32
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

If they were smart they would partner with UNMC to create a specialty center dedicated to vets instead of a separate hospital. I always had to take my grandpa to both anyway to see all of his doctors, why not just condense them into one campus?
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Garrett wrote:If they were smart they would partner with UNMC to create a specialty center dedicated to vets instead of a separate hospital. I always had to take my grandpa to both anyway to see all of his doctors, why not just condense them into one campus?
That has been one of the options for years now...
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

It's just a shame how our government treats it's vets despite what they say in front of the cameras. If they wanted to they could make it happen and even after the huge scandal they still don't care.
15-17, 26, 32
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

MTO wrote:It's just a shame how our government treats it's vets despite what they say in front of the cameras. If they wanted to they could make it happen and even after the huge scandal they still don't care.
Agreed
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

MTO wrote:It's just a shame how our government treats it's vets despite what they say in front of the cameras. If they wanted to they could make it happen and even after the huge scandal they still don't care.
If they cared they could make it happen with a swipe of a pen.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

They're finishing the removal of the reactor that was mentioned a while back.

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/nuclear ... e28f6.html
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

The nuclear reactor should be remembered by a state historical marker.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

We could weld the spent fuel rods into a modern art sculpture, maybe even make some kind of playground equipment with them...
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

RNcyanide wrote:We could weld the spent fuel rods into a modern art sculpture, maybe even make some kind of playground equipment with them...
Funny.

The VA's nuclear reactor made isotopes for a lot of experiments and therapies that have resulted in cures and treatments for a large number of people. It actually is historically significant.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

All the more reason to iconize it.
15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Heard some good news...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

~$130 million public/private partnership to build a clinic next to the current building. Will work with the hospital.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

iamjacobm wrote:~$130 million public/private partnership to build a clinic next to the current building. Will work with the hospital.
Is there any word on what kind of services that will be provided at this clinic? Clinic is kind of a nebulous term nowadays, so I'm assuming it's more than checkups and urgent care stuff.

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Don't know. The news outlets should have it today or tomorrow.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

iamjacobm wrote:Don't know. The news outlets should have it today or tomorrow.
Super. Thanks!

The Bride
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Public-private partnership could pave way for new $136 million VA facility in Omaha
The 157,000-square-foot facility envisioned would include primary, specialty and ambulatory care, as well as radiology and surgical capabilities, the secretary said.

The potential timeline for the project isn’t clear at this point and McDonald cautioned that legal hurdles remain. But he struck an optimistic tone.

The latest proposal is a more modest facility to be built in conjunction with the existing hospital, using $56 million already appropriated by Congress, plus money raised by the community.
The $136 million price tag would require private donors to pony up about $80 million.
Ashford said he has met with prominent members of the local philanthropic community — he declined to disclose their names at this point — who have indicated a willingness to come up with around the same amount as Congress already appropriated for the new facility.
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

I really hope they build it! I visited the current facility a lot towards the end of my grandpa's life and was really impressed by the staff. But the building is in need of some upgrades.
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

What a joke and regardless of the excuses at this point it's all unacceptable. Our veterans served to protect the greatest country on earth they deserve the best healthcare on earth.
15-17, 26, 32
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Obama signs law for $136 million VA facility in Omaha
Joseph Morton / World-Herald Bureau wrote:Ashford said the hope is to have the design phase underway early next year, with the facility completed in 2018.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I wonder what the final price tag will be after cost overruns and project delays due to government bureaucracy?
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

300+ for the cancer center 400+ for children's expansion how can this be less than 140?
15-17, 26, 32
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

MTO wrote:300+ for the cancer center 400+ for children's expansion how can this be less than 140?
Just like everything else the government does for the people, it will be substandard...

The 2011 plan called for a 1,000,000 sqft facility at a cost of $560 million, but this new plan calls for only 157,000 sqft. The Omaha VA serves a veteran population between 100-150 thousand, and the new Denver VA hospital serves a veterans population of 400,000 with a 1.2 mllion sqft facility, then we should be 25-33% of the same amount of money and facility size, right? Well, the Denver VA already costs more than $1.73 billion... wait, what?

I guarantee two things, 1) the $136 million for our new facility is just a teaser number, it means nothing compared to the final cost, and 2) the size of the facility will increase. Heck, even the Lauritzen Outpatient Center is 170,000 sqft. So of course the new VA is underwhelming, probably intentionally so.

text of the bill
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

And has anyone heard if they are going to replace or renovate the existing building?
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

This is purely a new large clinic building to supplement the existing services in the current hospital. Essentially, they're going to move outpatient services to this new building... Moving these items to a different building will allow for easier patient access to services, consolidate things (several outbuildings now), and allow some of the services that are hospital based to remodel / expand into space that will be vacated by things moving to this new building.

This is most akin to the new Lauritzen Outpatient Center at UNMC if you're looking for a comparison...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/livewellnebraska/o ... c3714.html
A nonprofit backed by influential Omaha business leaders has committed $30 million to a partnership with the Department of Veterans Affairs to build an ambulatory care clinic on the grounds of the Omaha VA hospital.

Heritage Services — which developed local landmarks such as the Holland Performing Arts Center and TD Ameritrade Park — voted late Tuesday to back the clinic through a new nonprofit called the Veterans Ambulatory Center Development Corporation.

The project would pool $56 million previously appropriated by Congress with the $30 million raised locally to build the complex for the VA Nebraska/Western Iowa Health Care System on its campus near 42nd Street and Woolworth Avenue. VA officials have said it would offer primary, specialty and ambulatory care as well as radiology and surgery suites. It would be built on the site of the employee parking lot, to the northwest of the current hospital entrance.
Then there was a comment below stating that there would be a parking garage built on the grounds as well, but no mention of that in the article.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/livewellnebraska/h ... ccf32.html
Work has begun on an $86 million expansion of the Omaha VA medical center.

Construction of the 157,000-square-foot ambulatory care clinic is expected to continue until summer 2020, according to a press release from the Bozell public relations firm. It will include new exam rooms, an outpatient-surgery suite and a women’s health clinic, allowing about 400 additional outpatients to visit the medical center each day, the release said.

“The state-of-the-art facility will allow us to serve more veterans and provide the type of health care services they need,” B. Don Burman, director of the VA Nebraska/Western Iowa Health Care System, said in a statement.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

This is misfortunate a project like this means they are going to piecemeal a new VA hospital. Don’t get me wrong it’s over due and I’m glad something is underway but an entirely new clinic from ground up would have been a better long term option. Thanks Denver.
15-17, 26, 32
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

MTO wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:08 pm This is misfortunate a project like this means they are going to piecemeal a new VA hospital.
This was my reaction as well.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I forget if it’s been discussed before, but what is the advantage to having specific hospitals for vets over providing some sort of voucher or maybe a vets department at non-VA hospitals?
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

MTO wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:08 pm This is misfortunate a project like this means they are going to piecemeal a new VA hospital. Don’t get me wrong it’s over due and I’m glad something is underway but an entirely new clinic from ground up would have been a better long term option. Thanks Denver.
Maybe there's a misunderstanding about what this new building will be. For outpatient care (doctor visits, outpatient surgery, pharmacy, etc) this will be the single place that vets will need to visit. Unless they need to go into the hospital for some sort of major surgery or illness, my understanding is that they will only visit this new clinic building.

The old hospital building will be for inpatient services... Given that many of the departments above move out, it will leave room for eventual remodel of that building as well.
mgoett
Home Owners Association

Post by mgoett »

I am a veteran that goes to the VA for my healthcare. I am excited that the clinic is being built. As for the Hospital, I think it needs to be torn down. Just my Opinion. I have not had any major surgeries since taking full benefits at the VA but hopefully I could use the med center. I will have to look into that.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

A comprehensive rebuild would have looked more like Denver’s, this is a half measure. Regardless I’m glad they are doing something but I do think our veterans deserve more than half measures.
15-17, 26, 32
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Thank A Veteran Tour