New Veterans Hospital

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

New Veterans Hospital

Post by Brad »

New Veterans Hospital

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100201/NEWS01/100209970
Joseph Morton WORLD-HERALD BUREAU wrote:WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama's budget includes $56 million for the design of a new veterans medical facility in Omaha, the White House announced Monday.

“Our veterans deserve the very best care available,” said Sen. Mike Johanns, R-Neb. “The staff and administration of the Omaha VA Medical Center do a first class job caring for our veterans and now they will have a facility to match."
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

$56 million for design? Whoa! This should be a heck of a hospital!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:$56 million for design? Whoa! This should be a heck of a hospital!
Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Historic Omaha »

Its part of Obama's left wing conspiracy to put only white collar workers (architects) to work.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Cool. I wonder where it would be located.
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

A logical spot would be to locate near UNMC.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

If it is renovations - like I think it says - it will remain there. The other plan was to build a new building on the UNMC campus - but it appears that this plan isn't that.
omaproud
Home Owners Association

Post by omaproud »

The Weird Gerald article states the cost will be $560 million and includes demolishing the old main hospital to make room for a new tower.  It also includes renovating the existing outpatient clinic.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

Coyote wrote:If it is renovations - like I think it says - it will remain there. The other plan was to build a new building on the UNMC campus - but it appears that this plan isn't that.
I never thought about building it on the UNMC campus.  That seems like it could really benefit the veterans.
where the corn meets the concrete
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Yes, there are 2 options currently being considered - on the UNMC campus (not sure of exact location), as well as on the existing site.  The "on site" plan would essentially build a brand new tower in their front parking lot, and once completed, the existing structure would be torn down to make way for parking.  Logistically, this route would be significantly harder, as there would nowhere to park onsite for several years during construction (for either staff or patients/visitors), but would allow for continued use of the newer, non-connected structures on the VA campus - I believe there is an outpatient center as well as a dialysis unit.

Just to clarify, they've already said NO to the remodeling option.  If they stay at the current site, it will be a completely new main building.  The existing building is in such a state of disrepair, its coming down whatever option is chosen.   Too expensive to bring it up to modern standards and code requirements.

From what I've heard (several of the local neighborhood assoc have had meetings with the mayor to hear more on the options), they're leaning towards the UNMC campus option....

It would be very interesting to get Creighton's take on all of this.  Currently, the VA is staffed by its own docs, as well as a mix of both Creighton and UNMC residents and faculty that rotate through.  I'd assume that if the VA moves to the UNMC campus, it may convert to only VA/UNMC staff, and Creighton may be left out in the wind.  While this might not make a big difference for the patients, it makes a huge difference for the Creighton Med School, as it'd lose a significant # of training opportunities for its students and residents.  While UNMC as a hospital is large enough to have its students train only there, Creighton is a very small hospital, as teaching hospitals go.  They must retain affiliations like this with the VA in order for their students to get enough training opportunities, as they don't have enough beds / patient volume at their own site.  FYI Creighton also has these affiliations with other hospitals around the city (I'm not sure of the specifics, but I believe OB rotates through Bergan, Psychology through Immanuel, and Pediatrics through Childrens - UNMC pediatrirics might also do Chilidrens)
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

That's all very interesting. Thanks for your insights.
Ben wrote:...the existing structure would be torn down to make way for parking.
I wonder what for... Without the VA Hospital, what would be the need for expanded parking at the old site?

I think this could be an incredible opportunity for an amazing park/public space, or an awesome infill development (a la AK Village and MTC), OR BOTH!!!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

Might want to read Ben's post closer. If a new tower is built on the existing parking lot adjacent to the existing tower, a new lot or structure would be built where the old tower is. Essentially it would be a trade from the sounds of it.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Ah. Thanks for pointing that out.

Either way, I think there's a huge opportunity for a civic space/mixed-use infill.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

I don't think that the Saddle Creek location is even an option anymore.  From what I have heard, the money was granted in a way that makes a 'remodel or addition' required.  Now, this will likely mean tearing down 90% of the existing facility so the terms are very loose, but it appears to require staying on the existing site.
JPenny
Home Owners Association

Post by JPenny »

Personally I think it would be better to keep the new VA on the existing site. As much as i would like to have another new tower on the UNMC campus i think they need all the land they can get to keep expanding since im sure they wont be stopping anytime soon.  Plus if the VA left its existing campus then what would they do with all of that open land there?  I think it would be more efficient keeping everything together on the VA campus.  its not like its very far away from UNMC anyways! But either way I think its great that our veterans will finally have a great facility to go to that they deserve.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Whatever happens, I doubt you will see any ribbon cuttings this decade.
MrPoloShirt
Home Owners Association

Post by MrPoloShirt »

To put this in perspective, didn't FNBO tower cost half as much as this?  Wow.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I would rather they build a new downtown post office.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

MrPoloShirt wrote:To put this in perspective, didn't FNBO tower cost half as much as this?  Wow.
I have friends who work in hospitals doing physical plant maintenance, and the cost in code compliance when compared to traditional residential and commercial is significant.  Not only are fire-prevention measures some of the most stringent, but everything from wall outlets to plumbing fixtures must be specifically tested and approved for hospital use.  It wouldn't surprise me if constructions costs were 50-100% more per square foot than office or even residential use.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

and that isn't even considering updating medical equipment - which would mean sharing space with UNMC a good alternative - but I don't see that happening.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

when my son was in the hospital at children's, we talked to the doctors a lot there over the course of 2 weeks.  It had come up in conversation that when they finance construction, they have to factor in nearly $1 million (yes, that's right) per room.  80 new rooms would equal $80 million+, due to equipment, special plugs, wiring, etc (like was mentioned).  I thought it was crazy, but the doctor that told us was one of the head people so i have to go with it.
Go Cubs Go
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

thenewguy wrote:due to equipment, special plugs, wiring, etc (like was mentioned).
Special plumbing is the biggest issue.  They can't have normal sinks and such with overflow preventers because that is a breading ground for mold.
S33
County Board

Fox News and new VA Hospital

Post by S33 »

There's some stupid btch on Fox News talking about how the new VA hospital in Omaha is not needed and the funds for the hospital are just another "Cornhusker Kickback".

She says she KNOWS the hospital is just fine and a new one is not needed because her aunt is a nurse there. My understanding is that the hospital is a dump.

I really have to stop watching Fox, they upset me off.

(I guess this would have been just fine in the VA thread, oooops)
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Did they at least call us a liberal commie area? I hope.
DTO
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

DTO Luv wrote:Did they at least call us a liberal commie area? I hope.
Nah, I was hoping she'd mention me by name, too. Didn't happen, instead she just self-indulged in her btchyness.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

Aren't they the patriotic ones that want only the best for the troops?
Well then.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

That place is a joke - a dump - and should be imploded.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

justnick wrote:Aren't they the patriotic ones that want only the best for the troops?
Well then.
She was just a guest in the name of "Fair and Balanced" reported.
JPenny
Home Owners Association

Post by JPenny »

The OWH has an article about an article in the Washington Post. haha its pretty interesting what some of these reporters are coming up with
mattg
New to the Neighborhood

Post by mattg »

I remember awhile back talk of funding for a hospital in Bellevue also. That may have more been a deal for the vote. I hope both hospitals get built. I have been to the VA and think it is old and needs replaced. I had a recent stay in Clarkson Hospital and wasn't disappointed with Clarkson so if the VA can get to that quality then I could see keeping it.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

JPenny wrote:The OWH has an article about an article in the Washington Post. haha its pretty interesting what some of these reporters are coming up with
It was the Washington Times, not the Washington Post.
The Omaha World-Herald wrote:The Veterans Administration's top facilities manager told a U.S. Senate committee last August that a new $500 million-plus VA hospital for Omaha had a good chance of being funded.

Donald Orndoff, director of the office of construction and facilities management for the VA in Washington, indicated that a recently completed review by an independent consultant had given the agency a much greater understanding of the depth of issues with the 60-year-old facility.

"The Secretary is very supportive of moving forward with this project,'' Orndoff told the U.S. Senate's Committee on Veterans Affairs during a field hearing in Omaha on Aug. 20.

Orndoff's testimony directly contradicts a report in Friday's Washington Times that VA officials had told the Senate during that month that they were recommending a renovation of the existing Omaha hospital, not a much more costly new one.

The Times article says the new VA hospital was a "budget plum'' to U.S. Sen. Ben Nelson as the White House was wooing the Democrat to vote for the health care overhaul.
http://omaha.com/article/20100319/NEWS01/100319512
bargainhunter
Library Board

Re: Fox News and new VA Hospital

Post by bargainhunter »

S33 wrote:There's some stupid btch on Fox News talking about how the new VA hospital in Omaha is not needed and the funds for the hospital are just another "Cornhusker Kickback".

She says she KNOWS the hospital is just fine and a new one is not needed because her aunt is a nurse there. My understanding is that the hospital is a dump.

I really have to stop watching Fox, they upset me off.

(I guess this would have been just fine in the VA thread, oooops)
Yeah, well I have a friend whose a nurse there that says the place is a |expletive| hole.  Therefore, I KNOW its a dump!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

They are talking about brand new construction...right?  This isn't a half BILLION renovation is it?  I'm not sure they paid any more than half a BILLION to build all three of the Lakeside, Methodist Women's and Bellevue Medical Center hospitals.

But then again, I guess we're talking about the government which is paying $48 a person for the 2010 census, huh.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Stargazer wrote:They are talking about brand new construction...right?  This isn't a half BILLION renovation is it?  I'm not sure they paid any more than half a BILLION to build all three of the Lakeside, Methodist Women's and Bellevue Medical Center hospitals.

But then again, I guess we're talking about the government which is paying $48 a person for the 2010 census, huh.
I believe the pricetag on Bellevue Med Ctr was $135 million...  That's probably the fairest comparison among the new hospitals, but the VA has a much wider service base - VA Omaha is the hub for all veterans across Western Iowa and all of Nebraska.  There are a huge # of clinics that are based at the VA.  Inpatient wise, Bellevue is something like 100 rooms, where as the new VA facility would likely be 250-300 rooms, if not larger.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Ben wrote:
Stargazer wrote:They are talking about brand new construction...right?  This isn't a half BILLION renovation is it?  I'm not sure they paid any more than half a BILLION to build all three of the Lakeside, Methodist Women's and Bellevue Medical Center hospitals.

I believe the pricetag on Bellevue Med Ctr was $135 million...  That's probably the fairest comparison among the new hospitals, but the VA has a much wider service base - VA Omaha is the hub for all veterans across Western Iowa and all of Nebraska.  There are a huge # of clinics that are based at the VA.  Inpatient wise, Bellevue is something like 100 rooms, where as the new VA facility would likely be 250-300 rooms, if not larger.
Not to mention a growing need for the millions of soldiers which will have eventually partaken in decade long wars.
bargainhunter
Library Board

Post by bargainhunter »

Ben wrote:

The Methodist Women's Hospital is roughly $120 million, 116-bed, five-story facility.

FYI: Opens June 21
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

New healing environment for vets

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110419/N ... t-for-vets
Henry J. Cordes WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Though far from final, plans are taking shape for what is believed to be the biggest public works project in Omaha since original construction of the Interstate system. Tentatively, completion is expected by 2018.

The first schematic designs to be released by the VA on Tuesday call for a million-square-foot structure on the same grounds as the current hospital, northeast of 42nd and Center Streets. The new hospital would go up in what is now the VA Medical Center's parking lot.

A glass atrium running the length of the curved four-story building would serve as the hospital's central spine and visual centerpiece.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Looks like a pretty impressive building.
willackerman
New to the Neighborhood

Post by willackerman »

Lot's of good points made about the challenges currently facing the aging building which is the Omaha VA Medical Center. This 60-year-old grand lady has and continues to serve our Veterans well, but, it's becoming quite a challenge to keep the HVAC and other systems operating efficiently. This new medical center will be a state-of-the-art facility that will serve Veterans for years to come.

We are also blessed to have the best health care providers serving our Veterans, because all of our physicians hold appointments at UNMC or Creighton. I am more than willing to answer any questions you might have about the medical center, the design process, or the services we provide here. OR, you can go to our Facebook site at http://www.facebook.com/nebraskaiowava where we will post information and engage in dialogue with our Veterans and the community. We will also be launching a design page on our web site in the next few days at http://www.nebraska.va.gov

Great news for our area Veterans.

Will Ackerman
Public Affairs Officer
VA Nebraska-Western  Iowa Health Care System
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I happened to drive down Woolworth yesterday evening and noticed that their was some heavy equipment behind the current buildings.  It looks like they might be knocking down some little old buildings and doing some clearing between the current hospital and the trail.  I wonder if they're getting read for site prep work already?