Elkhorn School Bond $130 Million

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Brad, nebugeater, Coyote, Omaha Cowboy

OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Elkhorn School Bond $130 Million

Postby OmahaFan » Wed May 17, 2017 7:00 am

Why is Elkhorn needing a $130 Million bond issue? I just thought they built a couple of new schools within the past year!

nebugeater
County Board

Re: Elkhorn School Bond $130 Million

Postby nebugeater » Wed May 17, 2017 7:36 am

I believe it is for a third high school. two new elementary schools and expanding two middle schools.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Postby OmahaFan » Wed May 17, 2017 8:16 am

I'm wondering what the current capacity is at the New Elkhorn South High school and the Original High school. Building a brand new third one seem's a bit premature then again Elkhorn is growing plus new development's are sprouting up non stop it seem's like. Idk if people living out there in the Elkhorn school district's taxing area would want a $130 Million bond issue added onto there property taxes. My next question is where would they build this new High school at?

Greg S
Planning Board

Postby Greg S » Wed May 17, 2017 8:24 am

That area continues to grow. I wonder if they won't build the third high school bigger to accommodate more growth.

A little bit off but we live in NW Omaha (156th between Fort and Ida), and the amount of housing under contruction is the most since the early 2000's when we built out there. Definitely another housing boom going on.

Greg

iamjacobm
City Council

Postby iamjacobm » Wed May 17, 2017 8:57 am

I am sure they want to stay Class B and will build to right below that threshold.

OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Postby OmahaFan » Wed May 17, 2017 9:50 am

Question what is the difference between a Class A school and a Class B school? Is there positives to being a Class A school compared to a Class B school? I son't know from the sound's of the article in the OWH they might want to be a Class A school system. Who know's? Either way it's great to see Elkhorn just bustling with activity especially after the huge annexation Omaha did back in 2005. I think the Annexation of Elkhorn was actually quite positive overall for the area in West Omaha. It's spurred explosive growth in Elkhorn and around it I also have noticed that Downtown Elkhorn is growing and getting more business. Unrelated this issue it's like Omaha has 2 downtown's now. The original one and then one out in Western Omaha.

iamjacobm
City Council

Postby iamjacobm » Wed May 17, 2017 11:26 am

OmahaFan wrote:Question what is the difference between a Class A school and a Class B school? Is there positives to being a Class A school compared to a Class B school? I son't know from the sound's of the article in the OWH they might want to be a Class A school system. Who know's? Either way it's great to see Elkhorn just bustling with activity especially after the huge annexation Omaha did back in 2005. I think the Annexation of Elkhorn was actually quite positive overall for the area in West Omaha. It's spurred explosive growth in Elkhorn and around it I also have noticed that Downtown Elkhorn is growing and getting more business. Unrelated this issue it's like Omaha has 2 downtown's now. The original one and then one out in Western Omaha.

Better student to teacher ratios, smaller class sizes, better chance to make your sports team or club etc. Probably to differentiate themselves from OPS and Millard as well. Elkhorn gets to be the "small town" mentality in the city, that will attract families.

GetUrban
Parks & Recreation

Postby GetUrban » Wed May 17, 2017 12:49 pm

OmahaFan wrote:Question what is the difference between a Class A school and a Class B school?

Class A, B, etc. refers mainly to competition activities the school participates in....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebraska_School_Activities_Association

While the Districts are classified by as I, II, III, IV, V and VI by state law according to the population of the district...
http://law.justia.com/codes/nebraska/2009/Chapter79/79-102.html
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.

MKMScat20
New to the Neighborhood

Postby MKMScat20 » Wed May 17, 2017 5:28 pm

I believe the bond is to build a 3rd High School, additions at 3 middle schools, build 2 new elementary schools, and some other infrastructure updates throughout the district. With the district growing as much as it has, capacity at Elkhorn High before the first split was around 1400, by 2020 I believe Elkhorn High is projected to be at that amount so a need for a 3rd High School would be warranted.

Hope this helps answer your question.

OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Postby OmahaFan » Fri May 19, 2017 7:48 am

Well if it bring's in more people and families I'd say go for it! A healthy Elkhorn school district is great for Omaha because it creates a highly educated future and worker's for Omaha which allow's company's looking for such talent to locate here and tap into it! If only Omaha public schools could get it's act together maybe then it would be a contributor to Omaha instead of a negative. Personally if OPS just got dismantle and Millard took over the City's side I think the education gap would greatly improve. Heck OPS can't even pick a leader without bickering over it.

Dundeemaha
Library Board

Postby Dundeemaha » Fri May 19, 2017 12:15 pm

OmahaFan wrote:Well if it bring's in more people and families I'd say go for it! A healthy Elkhorn school district is great for Omaha because it creates a highly educated future and worker's for Omaha which allow's company's looking for such talent to locate here and tap into it! If only Omaha public schools could get it's act together maybe then it would be a contributor to Omaha instead of a negative. Personally if OPS just got dismantle and Millard took over the City's side I think the education gap would greatly improve. Heck OPS can't even pick a leader without bickering over it.

The OPS board is a cluster right now, but OPS is a very different district than Millard with significant challenges that Millard does not face. I see no reason to think Millard would be able to handle those challenges:

OPS:
51,966 students
74 % Free / Reduced Lunch
15 % ESL

Millard:
23,913 students
18% Free / Reduced Lunch (double the 2009 pct)
< 2 % ESL

OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Postby OmahaFan » Fri May 19, 2017 1:15 pm

Well if you give Millard the Entire OPS school District you get more taxing authority therefor more income would be coming in. Income that could be use to improve the OPS education system of course Millard would face significant shortcoming's during probably the first 2 years of actually operating such a large district. Then again this goes back to that Major argument that erupted when OPS tried to Annex Millard public school's which created quite the firestorm. Hence why the State legislature created a Learning community so everyone was happy. Personally in my view Millard and Elkhorn are far superior to OPS in educating student's. Just look at the testing Scores and the amount graduating from those 2 public school district's. OPS is getting my taxpayer money and I expect for them to be using it wisely and on the student's education. Which mean's improved testing score's and graduation rates.

Dundeemaha
Library Board

Postby Dundeemaha » Fri May 19, 2017 4:14 pm

I hear what you're saying, my opinion boils down to this idea:

The relative affluence of Millard and Elkhorn are more important to the quality of education they provide than their governance.

Within OPS you have a subset of students who have access to elite education opportunities that no other public district in the state provides. When I was at Omaha Central in the early 2000nds there were at least 3 AP courses no other school in the state offered not to mention the later addition of the IB program. The difference is that OPS also has a large population of students who start at a disadvantage to the majority of students in Millard and Elkhorn and never catch up.

Millard and Elkhorn have zero track record of being able to serve those students because they have so few.

Return to “Suburban Omaha Development”