Generations (126 & Highway 370)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Generations (126 & Highway 370)

Post by Brad »

Pennant Place (126 & Highway 370)

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110118/N ... y-ballpark
John Ferak WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:An Iowa developer trying to lure businesses near Sarpy County's new Werner Park is pitching a baseball theme for his project.
John Ferak WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:He hopes to lure retail shops, sit-down restaurants, executive offices and two hotels. Other planned features include a senior citizens living center, residential housing and green space.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

I still am having a hard time seeing this area compete with Shadow Lake and Southport.
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:I still am having a hard time seeing this area compete with Shadow Lake and Southport.
I totally agree.  The plan looks nice and it would a wonderful addition, but its too much commercial too close to other commercial.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The thing that area needs more than any retail or hotels is people.  There are no houses out there and like you guys said, everyone that is near already lives closer to more established shopping areas.

Well see though this sounds like a 10 year plan kind of thing.
SabrinaFaire
Home Owners Association

Post by SabrinaFaire »

There's plenty of residences off of 144th & Giles. Shadow Lake is a bit of a drive for us, and there isn't a whole lot at Southport. I've been hoping that they would put some shopping near the ballpark. I do hope that they upgrade the exit ramp off of 80 at 144th though, it has a lot of truck traffic.
Hoop
Home Owners Association

Post by Hoop »

I wouldn't be surprised to see Southport blow up this spring/summer with the passing of Legislative Bill 1018 and vote by La Vista to allow it to be used.  This bill does not apply to Werner Park or its surrounding development.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

SabrinaFaire wrote:There's plenty of residences off of 144th & Giles. Shadow Lake is a bit of a drive for us, and there isn't a whole lot at Southport. I've been hoping that they would put some shopping near the ballpark. I do hope that they upgrade the exit ramp off of 80 at 144th though, it has a lot of truck traffic.
How many people live within walking distance of the ball park?  I would say close to....zero.  How many live within a mile?  I would say less than 500.  I can't imagine much new housing being built in that area (or anywhere else) in the coming few years, until the economy improves.
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

nativeomahan wrote:
SabrinaFaire wrote:There's plenty of residences off of 144th & Giles. Shadow Lake is a bit of a drive for us, and there isn't a whole lot at Southport. I've been hoping that they would put some shopping near the ballpark. I do hope that they upgrade the exit ramp off of 80 at 144th though, it has a lot of truck traffic.
How many people live within walking distance of the ball park?  I would say close to....zero.  How many live within a mile?  I would say less than 500.  I can't imagine much new housing being built in that area (or anywhere else) in the coming few years, until the economy improves.
This might be one of those "if we build it, they will come" deals.  I love the land the ballpark sits on.  You can see all the way downtown.  if they did build the lake and the homes that was planned when the ballpark was approved, the area would become a success.

Does anyone know of what happened to the proposals for the lakes?  There were supposed to be 2, one small, and one larger.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:I still am having a hard time seeing this area compete with Shadow Lake and Southport.
It doesn't have to, to be successful.

But by that same measure, something has to be completed much sooner than "five or seven years" for all of the parties involved.  Well, maybe not the developer. But the county and the baseball organization won't last very long with this stadium sitting in the middle of nothing.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

The baseball organization will be fine.  People are going to love the ballpark (the ones that have been there already do).  Those that have been against this are going to be terribly disappointed by the success of the Storm Chasers.  

From Shatel:  
• If you think that people aren't going to venture out to see Werner Park, home of the Omaha Storm Chasers, think again. More than 5,000 showed up on Saturday at the Chasers' open house to see an empty stadium still under construction in 20-degree weather. They trudged over snow and ice in the parking lots and concourses for a look. Chasers GM Martie Cordaro said the club is surprised at the response: They sold as many season tickets on Saturday alone as they usually do in 10 days. They've already sold more merchandise than all of last offseason. Only two suites are left for purchase and club seating is almost gone.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110124/S ... -the-facts
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Greg S wrote:The baseball organization will be fine.  People are going to love the ballpark (the ones that have been there already do).  Those that have been against this are going to be terribly disappointed by the success of the Storm Chasers.  

From Shatel:  
• If you think that people aren't going to venture out to see Werner Park, home of the Omaha Storm Chasers, think again. More than 5,000 showed up on Saturday at the Chasers' open house to see an empty stadium still under construction in 20-degree weather. They trudged over snow and ice in the parking lots and concourses for a look. Chasers GM Martie Cordaro said the club is surprised at the response: They sold as many season tickets on Saturday alone as they usually do in 10 days. They've already sold more merchandise than all of last offseason. Only two suites are left for purchase and club seating is almost gone.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110124/S ... -the-facts
I have no doubts that they'll do fine in 2011 and 2012.  But what happens once that "new ballpark smell" wears off?  It happens to every stadium, once everybody's seen the new ballpark.  The curiousity, the romance is over at that point.  No doubt about it, Martie Cordaro and his team work their hardest to attract fans, but the location is what it is.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

correct me if i'm wrong, but is this not the development they had on the mid-day news that was compared to the power & light district in KC?  They made specific mention of p&l, on undeveloped farm land somewhere in la vista---even had conceptual art too.  I caught it during a snack break at work, but don't remember many details.  This can be moved if someone finds more on it: i wasn't able to...and didn't see a mention of it on the forum (looked there, too)
Go Cubs Go
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110412/NEWS01/704119863
“The Pennant Place development brings together an unparalleled combination of exceptional access, geography, location, demographics and planned growth with a pro-business climate. Add Werner Park, a recently completed world-class ballpark in the center of the development plus two recreational areas adjacent, and you have a recipe for immediate success. Pennant Place then goes further by providing a plan for a fully developed mixed-use development designed to create a consumer experience that is unlike any other — the feel of an urban pedestrian streetscape with the ease of vehicle-centered entertainment facilities and large-scale retail.”
“Pennant Place is a great location where, like Shadow Lake and the Ak-Sar-Ben area, people can live, work and play in the same area. People are looking for that these days because their time is valuable, and if they can do the majority of their shopping in the same location where they work and live — and take in a baseball game with the Storm Chasers — it allows them more time with their family. I see this as a premier mixed-use location that will have a significant impact on Sarpy County economically and socially.”
http://www.360brokers.com/pennantplace/

Developer's now a days have very relaxed definitions on "mixed-use".
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I know this project will take time given the state of the economy, but it would definitely be great to one day see all that.  After looking on the Werner Park website aerials, it is clear that there isn't much out there right now except for a bunch of fields.
FrontlineOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by FrontlineOmaha »

same development, or something else: http://www.kfab.com/articles/local-news ... -11683332/
Varsity
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Varsity »

The cinema is part of Pennant Place.

There are also plans for:

-a new 130 acre lakeside recreational park
-281,000 sq ft of entertainment (restaurant, hotel, and entertainment venues)
-58,000 sq ft of professional office space
-158,000 sq ft of retail
-retirement community (under development???)

and

-131 Single Family Medium Density Lots
-105 Single Family Lots
-46 Residential Townhomes
-590 Apartment Units

I'm not sure which portion of that residential was being referred to, but I heard at least a good chunk of the single family houses will be in the half million dollar range.
Varsity
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Varsity »

Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Solid sprawl.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

See video at link...

Werner Park Finally Has Some Company
WOWT wrote:This time next year, Werner Park will have company. A drafthouse cinema and entertainment center is planning to build at the entrance of Pennant Place, Hwy 370 and 126th Street.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

This says a lot about the future growth of the SW part of the metro.  600 houses is a ton and this movie theater actually is a decent distance from the rest of the movie theaters in the area.  

The entire area between Giles, 96th, Capehart and 144th is going to be fully developed by 2020.  It is a shame they didn't make 370 a limited access highway like Dodge because traffic down there is going to be a |expletive|.

Sarpy is just a monster right now, nothing stopping that sprawl train anytime soon.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

After a while, I don't think Sarpy County will have a choice but to make 370 a limited access highway. Papillion, LaVista and Gretna need to work something out to encourage growth in a responsible manner down there. Otherwise it will be fields upon fields of cookie cutter homes...
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

RNcyanide wrote:After a while, I don't think Sarpy County will have a choice but to make 370 a limited access highway. Papillion, LaVista and Gretna need to work something out to encourage growth in a responsible manner down there. Otherwise it will be fields upon fields of cookie cutter homes...
It is already destined for uninspiring sprawl, it is a fact that they are fine with.  It is still going to be the metro's biggest area of population growth.

I think they already missed the boat transportation wise.  They missed the foresight to make 370 the vehicle carrier that Dodge is, it's future is destined for Center St which is filled with retail and residential, but is a slow moving thoroughfare filled with stoplights.

If the metro could fine a half billion their best bet would be to build I-?80 on the basic path of Platteview Road.  If an interstate ran from the outlet mall just north of Springfield to I-29 it could keep a lot of trucking traffic off I-80 in the city to keep traffic down while staying ahead of the inevitable 25 year development pattern in Sarpy Country.

I would obviously rather invest in public transit, but knowing this city a partial beltway would be gangbusters.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Another beltway would be nice, but like you said, I would like more investments in public transit. We never know, Papillion and Gretna might get their |expletive| together and do something smart. I hope.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

RNcyanide wrote:I don't think Sarpy County will have a choice but to make 370 a limited access highway.
Technically it is a "Limited Access Highway"  The state does control where intersections are located.  There is only one every half mile.  I am guessing you mean you want a freeway with entrance and exit ramps.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Brad wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:I don't think Sarpy County will have a choice but to make 370 a limited access highway.
Technically it is a "Limited Access Highway"  The state does control where intersections are located.  There is only one every half mile.  I am guessing you mean you want a freeway with entrance and exit ramps.
Yes, that is what I was going for  :oops:

It'll have to fill in more for that to happen, I suppose.

The Bride
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

RNcyanide wrote:It'll have to fill in more for that to happen, I suppose.
I don't ever see it happening.  May be Platteview Road, but I don't see it happening on 370.
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

Platteview would be the likely choice to make into a "southern freeway" since the new US 34 plan has it going into Platteview half a mile or so west of the future US 75-34 interchange. Is a bit of a shame they wont do it to 370 though with all the devolpment over the last several years
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Turtle9160 wrote:Platteview would be the likely choice to make into a "southern freeway" since the new US 34 plan has it going into Platteview half a mile or so west of the future US 75-34 interchange. Is a bit of a shame they wont do it to 370 though with all the devolpment over the last several years
From what I've read, it seems that it's the plan to eventually make Platteview a freeway. I know that when OPPD proposed a new power substation at I think 25th and Platteview, Sarpy County asked them to not put it right in the corner of the intersection for that reason. (Although I'm not sure if they got their way)
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

Sarpy county did get them to build it back from Platteview, its about a half block to block from north of Platteview.  Makes sense now they did it that way if there long term plan is make it into a freeway in the future.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

I think it would be awesome if they turned Platteview Rd into a freeway route.. It just makes sense because of all the things that are going on in the South part of the metro now.. The beauty of it is its really straight so there wouldn't be a huge amount of work necessary to make it freeway worthy..  :yes:
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

iamjacobm wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:After a while, I don't think Sarpy County will have a choice but to make 370 a limited access highway. Papillion, LaVista and Gretna need to work something out to encourage growth in a responsible manner down there. Otherwise it will be fields upon fields of cookie cutter homes...
It is already destined for uninspiring sprawl, it is a fact that they are fine with.  It is still going to be the metro's biggest area of population growth.

I think they already missed the boat transportation wise.  They missed the foresight to make 370 the vehicle carrier that Dodge is, it's future is destined for Center St which is filled with retail and residential, but is a slow moving thoroughfare filled with stoplights.

If the metro could fine a half billion their best bet would be to build I-?80 on the basic path of Platteview Road.  If an interstate ran from the outlet mall just north of Springfield to I-29 it could keep a lot of trucking traffic off I-80 in the city to keep traffic down while staying ahead of the inevitable 25 year development pattern in Sarpy Country.

I would obviously rather invest in public transit, but knowing this city a partial beltway would be gangbusters.
Totally agree.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The latest plat to have passed:

Coyote
City Council

Re: Pennant Place (126 & Highway 370)

Post by Coyote »

Drove by Pennant Place a little while ago; they are having a practice house fire with that farm house on the NW corner of 126th & 370. Looks like that will be leveled soon.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Drove by Pennant Place a little while ago; they are having a practice house fire with that farm house on the NW corner of 126th & 370. Looks like that will be leveled soon.
That's actually North Shore Commercial west of 126th Street.
Al Buterol
Home Owners Association

Post by Al Buterol »

So an agent told me Le Mesa and 4 other unnamed restaurants were in the discussion/contract stages of moving in West of the the ballpark.

Anyone have any news on the north shore commercial or whatever is between 132 and 126th st north of 370?
Past where they burned down the house?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Haven't heard anything, but that would be a smart move since LaMesa is a big sponsor of the Storm Chasers as well. I hope whatever ends up there is a nice, planned development and not just a bunch of pad sites.
Al Buterol
Home Owners Association

Post by Al Buterol »

This is "North Shore Commercial" I think and not Pennant Place, or maybe it is one and the same.

Rest of that housing structure is gone and dirtwork has started west of the ballpark.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

This may or may not be the correct place to post. More likely goes to projects never built. Are the Trade Winds blowing the pennants around? Never have found this one.

I found this information posted on the Edward Rose development site a while back. I asked them for more information but never got a reply. Could these be related? Does anyone know where or when "Trade Winds" are blowing? The post is at http://www.edwardrose.com/about-us/new- ... quisitions

website says... Trade Winds Apartments - Omaha, NE
This brand new community is scheduled to open in the near future featuring beautiful one- and two-bedroom apartments with many convenience-enabling amenities like a full-size washer and dryer in every apartment and enclosed, private storage. A swimming pool with large sundeck, fitness center and community building are also planned."
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

Here is a link to the OWH development map and article from August 2014 for Pennant Place. I don't want to paste it and violate the OWH rules.
Map is http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews ... .image.jpg

Story is http://www.omaha.com/money/development- ... ge&photo=1

Pennant Place still has a website up at http://www.360brokers.com/pennantplace/ that at least is a sign that this may someday happen.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Or more likely, waiting to see if it will happen.

Something will happen...someday...as Papillion continues to grow.