Outlets at Southport

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

Brad wrote:Any word on a Canon Factory outlet out there? :;):
It's hard enough getting good quality Canon equipment new.  You would risk buying it refurbished or blemished at a factory outlet store?

(j/k)
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Maybe Coach should be doing more research on what's happening in the market.
Maybe they have
Let's see... Cordish and it's impressive track record of building some of the nation's most visible entertainment/retail developments versus some podunk developer who has let Nebraska Crossing rot to this point, only promising action when the taxpayers have agreed to subsidize the costs ?   Not to speak of proximity.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

TechnicalDisaster wrote: You would risk buying it refurbished or blemished at a factory outlet store?

(j/k)
I have had a Horriable track record as of late..

I bought a 70-200 2.8L IS and slipped on the Ice and dropped it on the ground...  Sent in to be rebuilt and it works good.

Then two days ago, I dropped by brand new 16-35 F2.8L on the ground...  It seems to work fine.

However, two weeks ago, the only Lens I have not dropped, 24-105 F4L, stopped working and needs to be sent in to be repaired!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Reminds me of a story a colleague of mine told me about his time working at General Dynamics in Davenport.  They made various components for attack helicopters.  He said they would heat, shake, freeze, humidify, sand blast, etc, etc... the heck out of each component, and in the rare circumstance that one survived the rigorous testing... THEN they would send IT out to the field.  It would almost be akin to GM/Ford putting 100,000 torturous miles on your car before handing it over to you.

I guess the tie in to Brad's story experience is... perhaps we should drop our camera equipment the moment we get it, while under warranty, to verify that it will work down the road when it is inevitably dropped again. :)
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
FrontlineOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by FrontlineOmaha »

Stargazer wrote:
Maybe they have
Let's see... Cordish and it's impressive track record of building some of the nation's most visible entertainment/retail developments versus some podunk developer who has let Nebraska Crossing rot to this point, only promising action when the taxpayers have agreed to subsidize the costs ?   Not to speak of proximity.
I dont disagree that Nebraska Crossing has been left to rot to this point, but they have partnered with OTB Destination who I would not classify as "some podunk developer".  They may not be as proven as Cordish, but everyone has to start somewhere.  OTB is responsible for Legends in KC and also has their hands in the University Village Redevelopment.

I have nothing to base this on, but Coach probably cares less about the developer and more about the location statistics and other tenants that will be signing on.  The NE Crossing location is only ~10 minutes away from the Southport location and it puts it that much closer to Lincoln as well.  Coach already has a full blown store at Village Pointe, that may be another consideration for the location of their outlet store.
Uncle Rico
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Uncle Rico »

FrontlineOmaha wrote:
Stargazer wrote:
Maybe they have
I dont disagree that Nebraska Crossing has been left to rot to this point, but they have partnered with OTB Destination who I would not classify as "some podunk developer".  They may not be as proven as Cordish, but everyone has to start somewhere.  OTB is responsible for Legends in KC and also has their hands in the University Village Redevelopment.

I have nothing to base this on, but Coach probably cares less about the developer and more about the location statistics and other tenants that will be signing on.  The NE Crossing location is only ~10 minutes away from the Southport location and it puts it that much closer to Lincoln as well.  Coach already has a full blown store at Village Pointe, that may be another consideration for the location of their outlet store.
I just don't see understand why any retailer would consider Nebraska Crossing over Southport.  Nebraska Crossing failed miserably the first time around because it was too far away.  Why would this time be any different?  If NC wins this Outlet Mall race I'll be extremely shocked and disappointed.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

First to clarify the owner / developer that let Nebraska Crossing turn into a dump pile has absolutely nothing to do with the ownership group that is trying to redevelop it now.  It changed hands and that is when some attempt at putting life back into it started. They at least have a vision.

Will Southport or Nebraska Crossing get it done?  I have no idea if one or both will.  I am guessing that one will though  and not both.  The unofficial signs that I see as an observer seem to indicate that NC might have a lead on that race.  The Bass store closed at NC crossing late in 2011.  I was in a couple of times late in there days and talked to a person that told me that they were a profitable store.  Had the option of relocating a couple of times during the rebuild but chose to not go through that but they would be back and had a singed agreement already for new space.  Not clear if it was in the new or redeveloped part of the mall.  The Daycare that is out there was told to move at the first of the year.  They had outside help step in to get that extended until the end of the school year from what I hear.  There have been some of the "local" businesses already mover and there seems to be more happening soon.

As for Southport land were this would be built.  Over the last few days this has been tilled to smooth it out and it looks to me like it has been seeded or soon will be.  While this means nothing in the overall cost I can't see this taking place if the plans are in place to start doing infrastructure work on that site this spring or anything was firm to go ahead.  the ground was ready for construction as it stood.

Going to post this in both threads in interest of fairness  ;)
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Frank Krejci and Rod Yates are a far cry from "podunk" developers.  In fact, Rod Yates carries with him a reputation of being an "outlet mall expert."  Krecji is one of the biggest developers in town.  Neither of them had anything to do with the mall until recently.

Does that make them better than Cordish?  I don't know, but they aren't even close to "podunk"
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Maybe what will happen is NC will win with the outlets, but that the Southport project will still go ahead, just without the outlets. From what I remember, it was outlets and an entertainment district. If NC wins the outlet war, then Cordish still might decide to go ahead and make the entertainment district. And they may even expand the plans for it making it bigger and better. That would really be a win-win for both developers.
FrontlineOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by FrontlineOmaha »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:Frank Krejci and Rod Yates are a far cry from "podunk" developers.  I
Oh yea, I forgot Krejci was involved in this...

Wasn't his last major project Oak View Mall?  I think is knowledge, experience and connections, combined with Yates more recent development experience should prove to be a successful combination.  

At this point, I would say there is too little actual information to say one is happening and the other is not and that is that.  I will be anxiously following any developments to this story.
Hoop
Home Owners Association

Post by Hoop »

PUT A FORK IN THIS PLAN!  It looks like Cordish has conceded victory to Gretna, they pulled the two semi billboards last week.  Yet another project lost by La Vista.  Makes you wonder if La Vista planners need to loosen such strict design criteria.  How many more projects will go to Papillion, or Gretna as all the "Prime Retail" lots in La Vista remain bean fields.   I realize the economy has influenced a lot of development decisions, but other Cities are getting it done.  Hopefully the entertainment area will still go through, without the Outlets...  Way to go Gretna!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Hoop wrote:PUT A FORK IN THIS PLAN!  It looks like Cordish has conceded victory to Gretna, they pulled the two semi billboards last week.  Yet another project lost by La Vista.  Makes you wonder if La Vista planners need to loosen such strict design criteria.  How many more projects will go to Papillion, or Gretna as all the "Prime Retail" lots in La Vista remain bean fields.   I realize the economy has influenced a lot of development decisions, but other Cities are getting it done.  Hopefully the entertainment area will still go through, without the Outlets...  Way to go Gretna!
They said on the Grow Omaha Radio Show a while back that Southport could have been too close to existing "non-outlet" stores to build outlet stores.  They don't want the outlets taking business from the regular stores.

Also, Were the billboards for the Outlets or the Lifestyle center?  The Lifestyle center was south of Cabella's and the Outlets were across the street West from there.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:
Hoop wrote:PUT A FORK IN THIS PLAN!  It looks like Cordish has conceded victory to Gretna, they pulled the two semi billboards last week.  Yet another project lost by La Vista.  Makes you wonder if La Vista planners need to loosen such strict design criteria.  How many more projects will go to Papillion, or Gretna as all the "Prime Retail" lots in La Vista remain bean fields.   I realize the economy has influenced a lot of development decisions, but other Cities are getting it done.  Hopefully the entertainment area will still go through, without the Outlets...  Way to go Gretna!
They said on the Grow Omaha Radio Show a while back that Southport could have been too close to existing "non-outlet" stores to build outlet stores.  They don't want the outlets taking business from the regular stores.

Also, Were the billboards for the Outlets or the Lifestyle center?  The Lifestyle center was south of Cabella's and the Outlets were across the street West from there.
If I remember correctly Brad the signs on the trailers covered both.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Hoop wrote:Makes you wonder if La Vista planners need to loosen such strict design criteria.
No they do not.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Cordish's track record isn't perfect & for what it's worth not every plan comes to fruition.  I'm not sold on the idea that it was too close to existing stores.  There are other areas of the country where outlets are close to existing stores.  

Years ago there was a proposal for a regional mall where Paypal is now.  It was proposed at the same time as Oakview & Oakview was built and the other one wasn't.  It happens.  

I'd say wait 30-60 days & see if something else is announced....
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

This is still at Cordish's web site so it must still be happening.

http://www.cordish.com/sub.cfm?section=newdev
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

NovakOmaha wrote:This is still at Cordish's web site so it must still be happening.

http://www.cordish.com/sub.cfm?section=newdev
Earlier I saw in an article they committed $10,000 to a study on the development.

Also, not that it matters, in the aerial view they provide, I can see my house.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

RNcyanide wrote:Also, not that it matters, in the aerial view they provide, I can see my house.
Does that mean you have a new house, and this would be a recent aerial photo?
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Coyote wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:Also, not that it matters, in the aerial view they provide, I can see my house.
Does that mean you have a new house, and this would be a recent aerial photo?
No not at all. The rendering of the aerial view looks kind of old on their website, and my house is coming up on 30 years old.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride