The Crossroads (72 & Dodge)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

byrdrules
Home Owners Association

Post by byrdrules »

Winchestertonfieldville?
michaelsjewel
Home Owners Association

Post by michaelsjewel »

I remember in this thread mentioning a possible Macy's...
from what I've heard, Macy's will not operate in the same state that has a Younkers as they both are the same company. So as long as we have a Younkers, we will not have a Macy's...  but you never know... Is a Macy's much different from a Younkers anyways?
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

michaelsjewel wrote:I remember in this thread mentioning a possible Macy's...
from what I've heard, Macy's will not operate in the same state that has a Younkers as they both are the same company. So as long as we have a Younkers, we will not have a Macy's...  but you never know... Is a Macy's much different from a Younkers anyways?
Meridian Mall, Lansing Michigan. (Actually Okemos, just outside of Lansing)

http://www.meridianmall.com/shop/meridian.nsf/directory

Something just struck me.  Younkers is owned by BonTon.  Macys used to be known as Federated, which also owns Bloomingdales.  By the way, there are states where there are both Macys and Bloomies, so the premise is untrue.
michaelsjewel
Home Owners Association

Post by michaelsjewel »

NovakOmaha wrote:
michaelsjewel wrote:I remember in this thread mentioning a possible Macy's...
Meridian Mall, Lansing Michigan. (Actually Okemos, just outside of Lansing)

http://www.meridianmall.com/shop/meridian.nsf/directory

Something just struck me.  Younkers is owned by BonTon.  Macys used to be known as Federated, which also owns Bloomingdales.  By the way, there are states where there are both Macys and Bloomies, so the premise is untrue.
That's what I get for listening to a person instead of looking it up. Thank you lol... I should've known if I search for sioux falls, sd mall they have both as well. It's still surprising that we don't have one though.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

(I haven't shopped extensively at either (well, I should admit that I shop at Menard's more than any other store anyway), but the first time I walked through Younkers, it sure felt like the Macy's back at home in IL.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I think the are more or less the same.  The big kicker, at least in this market, is that Macy's probably carries a better reputation than Younkers.  People would drive past Westroads to go to Macy's which is exactly what this development needs to be successful.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Macy's vs Younkers/ J C Penny or Nordstroms/ Marshall Field's/ Neiman Marcus?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

From better authorities on this topic than me this is pretty much how I have heard Omaha right now ranks.  Just for department stores.

Von Maur
Younkers
Dillards
JC Penny
Kohls
Gordmans
then whatever else.

Been told Nordstrom's would be the best in Omaha and Macy's would be interchangeable with Younker's.  This is some information that I remember from a conversation probably 2 years ago now though.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

For those of us who remember the original DT J. L. Brandeis... I would put them right up there. All I remember is the escalators.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Macy's isn't the upscale store it used to be, however, you will see that their merchandise will vary from low to high depending on the surrounding market/demographics.  Incidentally, Marshall Field's is no more and have all been rebranded as Macy's much to the chagrin of Chicagoans.  So as this point ranking the stores in Omaha would be speculative, but I'd go with this...

1. *Nordstrom's
2. Von Maur
3. Dillard's
4. *Macy's
5. Younker's

and honestly who cares after that?

*assuming they eventually open stores here.

And for what it's worth, I'd rather have a Nordstrom's Rack over Macy's and probably even Nordstrom's.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Yes, I am one of many who cringed when Marshall Fields was taken over by Macy's. I must admit that I have never been to a real Macy's. So I do not know the attraction of this establishment. So to establish a wish list is very partial.

First would be Nordstrom , wait a Brooks Brothers outlet.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Or a duck outlet... My nephews and neice love to find my duck symbol.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/More ... 48901.html
City Councilman Pete Festersen says the biggest transformation will be turning Crossroads Mall into University Village. "We're on track for the $300 million redevelopment of Crossroads, which is very exciting for the area and also for the entire city."

Festersen is meeting with the development team periodically. “They're still actively marketing, but have had substantial interest from new to market retail that I think will be great for Omaha. Right now, they're anticipating construction in 2014 and 2015."
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

$300 million?!
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

lol "on track". That's one looooong track.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

And University Village is a stupid name for it too if the development isn't going to be affiliated with UNO.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

jessep28 wrote:$300 million?!
Yep.  This would be a ridiculously huge redevelopment project.  The trouble is I have next to zero confidence in it ever happening, maybe we will get lucky.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Let's add this to the list of "Waiting projects" that probably won't come to fruition in the next ten years, along with Shamrock and the Southport things.

I'll believe it when I see it.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

MadMartin8 wrote:Let's add this to the list of "Waiting projects" that probably won't come to fruition in the next ten years, along with Shamrock and the Southport things.

I'll believe it when I see it.
Yeah.  Omaha as a city has something like $600 million in announced development in the "planning stages."
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

City faces ‘hard work’ to get state help on Crossroads
Juan Perez Jr., World-Herald Staff Writer wrote:Omaha officials want new state-based incentives to spur efforts to redevelop Crossroads Mall and the surrounding area.

A plan to bring a bill before the Legislature next year, however, doesn’t yet have the support of the City Council. A lack of specifics in the proposal drove the council to delay voting Tuesday on Mayor Jim Suttle’s request to endorse such legislation.

Omaha’s interest is aimed squarely at reviving the Crossroads Mall area and the 72nd Street corridor to Interstate 80 as a massive hub for retail and housing activity.

“This whole area is now in the center of the metropolitan area, and it needs a renaissance,” Suttle said.

Developers want to “de-mall” Crossroads, maintaining anchor stores Target, Sears and Barnes & Noble while turning the enclosed mall into open-air shops, offices and housing.

“It’s, to me, a huge mixed-use development with all the things we would see at Midtown Crossing, probably times five,” Suttle said.

The development would feature ample public space, because it’s likely that any new incentives could solely fund public infrastructure improvements.

“It could be a street, sidewalk, parking, a fountain, trees, whatever,” Suttle said.

Crossroads’ developers still are negotiating details such as leases and holding talks with tenants who might occupy the new development.

Updated figures on the potential cost of the Crossroads project are being developed, Suttle said, adding that he’s pushing to find out how much the developer is willing to invest.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Sounds like a long shot on the state level.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

What we would have to do is get other cities on our side, like Kearney and Grand Island.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I'm all for the redevelopment of Crossroads but I think the developers are asking a bit much here.  If they can't make it go using only TIF, might be time for someone else to give it a go.

Greg
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Greg S wrote:I'm all for the redevelopment of Crossroads but I think the developers are asking a bit much here.  If they can't make it go using only TIF, might be time for someone else to give it a go.

Greg
Even TIF is maybe too much.   If you are sitting at the huge intersection, and you have a big lit up sign on that intersection avertising your facility's specials, and you have a large national chain on the east side, and a large one on the west side, and you can't make it, maybe TIF is asking too much?  Afterall, The TIF money comes from sales and property taxes that won't be collected from a major retail space for a long time.  This money will be collected when this facilty is also in it's prime sales generation years.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but Sears at Crossroads has completely shut down their thrid level.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Greg S wrote:I'm all for the redevelopment of Crossroads but I think the developers are asking a bit much here.  If they can't make it go using only TIF, might be time for someone else to give it a go.

Greg
It's a smart move. Why take on all the risk when you can have the taxpayers finance some of the project for you?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

jessep28 wrote:

Greg
It's a smart move. Why take on all the risk when you can have the taxpayers finance some of the project for you?

It's definitely a smart move on the investors part.  I don't think it's a good move on the taxpayers part....

Greg
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

bigredmed wrote:

Greg
Even TIF is maybe too much.   If you are sitting at the huge intersection, and you have a big lit up sign on that intersection avertising your facility's specials, and you have a large national chain on the east side, and a large one on the west side, and you can't make it, maybe TIF is asking too much?  Afterall, The TIF money comes from sales and property taxes that won't be collected from a major retail space for a long time.  This money will be collected when this facilty is also in it's prime sales generation years.
TIF has absolutely nothing to do with sales tax.  The desire, however, is to be able to tap into that as a new source for funding.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

TIF isn't intended to take on the burden of projects and pass them onto the taxpayers, its intended to make infill development competitive with greenfield development.  In urban environments, developers don't have financing mechanisms like SID's.

I see no problem with enhancing TIF.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

If they can't make this work on TIF alone, might be better to have someone take over.

Greg
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130114/N ... l-redesign
This month, Omaha's Planning Department will hold a public meeting on the city's redevelopment plans for the 72nd and Dodge Streets corridor.

The city's interest is aimed squarely at reviving the Crossroads Mall area and the 72nd Street corridor to Interstate 80 as a massive hub for retail and housing activity.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I sense a study in the making.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

jessep28 wrote:I sense a study in the making.
They have studies to decide that. Let the process take place.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

S33 wrote:
jessep28 wrote:I sense a study in the making.
They have studies to decide that. Let the process take place.
An announcement is about 30-60 days away.  Stay tuned.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

I hope it's a parking lot. We need more surface parking.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

The Lotse of Parkinge at University Place.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Axel wrote:The Lotse of Parkinge at University Place.

It'll be "Yard²". The squared means its more awesomer.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Axel wrote:The Lotse of Parkinge at University Place.

It'll be "Yard²". The squared means its more awesomer.
Until threatened businesses in the area succeed in squashing any hope of them getting a liquor license for outdoor activities. Then it will just be The Lot.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

S33 wrote:
StreetsOfOmaha wrote: I'd also say it's only a matter of time before Village Pointe, Westroads, and Shadow Lake all add residential components.
Just imagine if they would allow people to live inside the stores, I bet sales would sore through the roof.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUPpoukTpps
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I didn't go, but this article says the packets passed out will be online next week.  Other interesting comments from the developer.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130125/N ... evelopment
“I can tell you we will have a gourmet grocery,” Yates told Jeanne Penry, who asked whether the planned outdoor mall would have a supermarket.

Yates also said the redeveloped mall would include space for local retailers, a 135-room hotel and 400 to 500 residential units. “We're going to do some luxury apartments and some condos,” Yates said.
Trader Joe's?  A hotel and that many residential units would be great as well.