The Crossroads (72 & Dodge)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

RNcyanide
Planning Board

Re: Crossroads - Redevelopment Plan

Post by RNcyanide »

Or 7210.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

Apart from the demo to start in March information, was anything different discussed that made you think it's for real this time?
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Nothing special announced but they did say there will be a 10 gigabyt pipe and yes phase 1 opening by 2017. I kinda got the impression they learned to stop making announcement dates..
15-17, 26, 32
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

.....March is drawing near... the Grow Omaha guys keep hinting at some exciting stuff is coming. I personally hope REI isn't one as they blew past Omaha and opened in DSM.
15-17, 26, 32
lonnie
Library Board

Post by lonnie »

MTO wrote:.....March is drawing near... the Grow Omaha guys keep hinting at some exciting stuff is coming. I personally hope REI isn't one as they blew past Omaha and opened in DSM.
I wonder if REI is going into Westroad's old-food court ? The space is about correct, typically 25,000 square feet and General Growth said it would be a 30,000 square foot store new to the market.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

lonnie wrote:I wonder if REI is going into Westroad's old-food court ? The space is about correct, typically 25,000 square feet and General Growth said it would be a 30,000 square foot store new to the market.
Is there an open level in the middle of the old food court like at Oakview, I can't remember, but if there is they could easily put in some climbing/repelling walls and other outdoorish features.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Yes there is an open level.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Those pictures are from crossroads the REI we're talking about would be at Westrosds.
15-17, 26, 32
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

What is REI?
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

daveoma wrote:What is REI?
Some manner of outdoorsy store.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

RNcyanide wrote:
It was the original outdoor store. It is a coop. Modern reviews are net-negative because their sales staff is judged by how many memberships they sell. Apparently that has had two negative effects, that they waste your time trying to sell you one, and if you already have one, then they don't spend time with you.

Not sure they have anything over Canfield's.
mattl181
Home Owners Association

Post by mattl181 »

bigredmed wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:
It was the original outdoor store. It is a coop. Modern reviews are net-negative because their sales staff is judged by how many memberships they sell. Apparently that has had two negative effects, that they waste your time trying to sell you one, and if you already have one, then they don't spend time with you.

Not sure they have anything over Canfield's.
Plus Westroads already has Dick's. Can't really see the benefit of having two outdoor/sports stores as anchors.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

REI would be a better draw for Westroads. Some people really really like the store (though it would not be like the flagship store in Denver). There are so many Dick's Sporting Goods in the metro that it is not much of a draw for Westroads (though it is the largest). You could have REI and Dick's co-exist like you have Von Maur and Younkers.

REI landing at Westroads would be a blow to Crossroads though, as it has been rumored to be going in there when and if that project gets under way.

Greg
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

"Two months until demolition."

We shall see.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

choke wrote:"Two months until demolition."

We shall see.
I know every time I go down dodge I look over and count off in my head but I've been doing that for a couple years now.
15-17, 26, 32
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

MTO wrote:
choke wrote:"Two months until demolition."

We shall see.
I know every time I go down dodge I look over and count off in my head but I've been doing that for a couple years now.
Right. And here we go again with the economy skidding into the toilet. UP having a horrible year, CON Agra leaving town and Cosentry getting bought up by some St. Louis company. I can only see the Crossroads project, once again, delayed :x
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

This has been painful to watch. I think they just had it in their heads they'd get a sweetheart deal like Gretna gave them for the outlets. The problem is they had leverage out there because La Vista was desperate to get theirs off the ground with Cornish.

Greg
samtaborusa
New to the Neighborhood

Re: Crossroads - Redevelopment Plan - TRUMP

Post by samtaborusa »

MTO wrote:I don't think there'll be any fighting unless there's someone on the forum that actually feels compelled to defend Trump. In which case it would be nice to know whom they are.... :punch:
Hey everyone. I'm right there with u, my fellow Omahans. This has been decades past due. I wish we did give CROSSROADS as much priority as Gretna gave the outlets.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Someone just told me a hearing-aid store stand alone building up behind Best Buy is gone can anyone confirm?
15-17, 26, 32
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

MTO wrote:Someone just told me a hearing-aid store stand alone building up behind Best Buy is gone can anyone confirm?
that's been gone for ages, and best buy is in the old toys r us now
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

justnick wrote:
MTO wrote:Someone just told me a hearing-aid store stand alone building up behind Best Buy is gone can anyone confirm?
The last I saw it half of the building was missing, and that was nearly 2 years ago.

The Bride
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

RNcyanide wrote:
justnick wrote:
The last I saw it half of the building was missing, and that was nearly 2 years ago.
Ah I figured it was some other building then that one that I wasn't aware of. My-bad
15-17, 26, 32
BPHusker
Home Owners Association

Post by BPHusker »

justnick wrote:
The Best Buy is still open in the original location as of January 30th. They are still working on the old Toys R Us.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

The new Best buy actually looks pretty good.

Very nice to see the vacant buildings along 76th being filled. We're getting a little momentum going!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Now demo pushed back at least a couple more months why am I not surprised...
15-17, 26, 32
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

BPHusker wrote: The Best Buy is still open in the original location as of January 30th. They are still working on the old Toys R Us.
I was told by someone that works there that they are aiming for an opening on March 18th or 19th. They will be closed for a couple of days while everything gets hauled over.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Uffda wrote:
BPHusker wrote: The Best Buy is still open in the original location as of January 30th. They are still working on the old Toys R Us.
I was told by someone that works there that they are aiming for an opening on March 18th or 19th. They will be closed for a couple of days while everything gets hauled over.

Well, they have plenty of time to move. Once again, demolition of Crossroads has been delayed. What a surprise :roll:
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Perhaps arguing about an NHRP listing??

The Bride
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Bill that could have aided Crossroads Mall goes nowhere

http://www.omaha.com/news/legislature/b ... ffbcd.html
Emily Nohr 
and Roseann Moring / World-Herald wrote:LINCOLN — Disagreement among Omaha’s development community contributed to a state senator’s decision not to introduce legislation aimed at providing new incentives for Crossroads Mall and other major projects.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

:roll:
riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

Omahans should be very skeptical of using incentives to build retail centers. The risk of cannibalization is real: Kansas City suburbs fight each other with ever-higher incentives all the time, to the detriment of taxpayers and communities. Newly built malls in the KC metro close just as soon as another suburb, further out, offers even greater subsidies.

I don't see why the city's obligation at 72nd and Dodge should go beyond infrastructure work (road and sewer, as necessary) and TIF. I haven't heard anyone clearly state why additional incentives are necessary.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I agree. But I think the sentiment here is that it is getting pushed back yet again.

The Bride
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

I am thrilled that bill failed. Absolutely horrible idea.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Agreed, I think if the business plan is good then they shouldn't need any money from tax payers.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Tax payer financing is only fair if the taxpayers get part of the profit. If rich guy X wants rich guy Y to buy into the investment, he has to sell him some stake in the deal. Why should we be going without stuff to finance this and then let him make all the profit?

This was a bad idea, and I am glad it failed.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

bigredmed wrote:Tax payer financing is only fair if the taxpayers get part of the profit. If rich guy X wants rich guy Y to buy into the investment, he has to sell him some stake in the deal. Why should we be going without stuff to finance this and then let him make all the profit?

This was a bad idea, and I am glad it failed.

The return for taxpayer's investment is a healthy and productive 72nd and Dodge. I agree that the city should help revitalize the area but I also believe there is a limit to what extent the tax payers should be involved. The Crossroads failed because it was not reinvested in and did not evolve like the Westroads. If you can't turn a profit on 72nd and Dodge then you aren't trying very hard. I agree with Yates that there is risk in building Crossroads Village but I am not sure how great the risk is at this particular intersection; there is an unbelievable amount of traffic that passes through 72nd and Dodge every day. The mayor has said that the city is up to 35% when it comes to help paying for the project; I believe this is more than fair. Do it right and there is big money to be made on this corner. If Yates doesn't start demolition soon then he never will. He has squeezed the city and the taxpayers for all that they are going to give for this.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Not much of a return if he gets us to do 35% of the cost and he keeps 100% of the profit. Maybe we could see where that 35% could be returned to the city in the form of a new school or public office building. Sure would be nice to be able to do county business at the Crossroads where a big parking space is available rather than go downtown to do it. Might also be nice to have a school or library there.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The plan to turn back sales tax into infrastructure improvements really isn't all that different than the city taking out a bond for improvements. Probably just would have helped hammer down where specifically the funding would have come from.

The issue here is that it costs a lot of money to completely change a site plan on a large chunk of land in the city like this. Sewers and streets need to be moved, finding a funding source that works for the city and developer is tough.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Wonder if that West Roads lobby was one of the ones who came to this forum to tell us how great West Roads is and how Oak View is doomed? :sly:
riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

iamjacobm wrote:The plan to turn back sales tax into infrastructure improvements really isn't all that different than the city taking out a bond for improvements. Probably just would have helped hammer down where specifically the funding would have come from.

The issue here is that it costs a lot of money to completely change a site plan on a large chunk of land in the city like this. Sewers and streets need to be moved, finding a funding source that works for the city and developer is tough.
And I think there are lots of folks who would agree that the city has a role in helping pay for improvements to sewers and streets. What would the cost of building the proposed street grid and corresponding utilities at this site? $50m?