The Crossroads (72 & Dodge)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Greg S
City Council

Re: Crossroads - Redevelopment Plan

Post by Greg S »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:Wonder if that West Roads lobby was one of the ones who came to this forum to tell us how great West Roads is and how Oak View is doomed? :sly:

Ummmm, no. Both Oak View and Westroads have the same owner, General Growth.

Greg
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:Wonder if that West Roads lobby was one of the ones who came to this forum to tell us how great West Roads is and how Oak View is doomed? :sly:
Once Streets' moat is built around Oakview, the mall will be doomed.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Westroads is doing great and Oakview blows. I know this because I have working eyeballs and have been to both.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

Anyone else think this project won't happen? People are already upset at how much the city is spending on HDR and the Holland mess. If the developers want the city to pay millions for it you can consider it dead. Trust me I want this project to happen as much as the next guy I just still don't see it getting off the ground.

I seriously hope I look back on this a year later and feel like an idiot. :mrgreen:
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

PotatoeEatsFish wrote:Anyone else think this project won't happen? People are already upset at how much the city is spending on HDR and the Holland mess. If the developers want the city to pay millions for it you can consider it dead. Trust me I want this project to happen as much as the next guy I just still don't see it getting off the ground.

I seriously hope I look back on this a year later and feel like an idiot. :mrgreen:
Since best buy left, I have a little more faith than I did a year ago. The boundaries are clearly defined now.
michaelsjewel
Home Owners Association

Post by michaelsjewel »

The fact that the new Crossroads Village will be a mixed used development and not just shopping, to me, means that it will not pull from Westroads when it comes to customer's like some are worried about and denied the new bill said it could cause... I think Crossroads should pull in retail that it does get to be diff stores than are at Westroads, that way they could complement each other instead of competing with one another.

And Oakview is still very nice, the issue is the demographic that surrounds the mall. People have more money by Westroads and interstate access - Oakview is not exactly in a prime real estate area and the surrounding outlet stores look like |expletive|. They aren't unified. Get rid of JCPenney and put in something high end - the malls that are surviving in the US are ones with at least one high end anchor store... Westroads has Von Maur - Oakview has maybe Dillards...but it's not at the same level as Von Maur.
What's simple is true...
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

From my understanding, anchor retailers at a lot of these shopping malls negotiated ridiculous leases which are hard to break. Replacing one Oakview anchor with another probably isn't feasible if the current tenant doesn't want to leave.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
michaelsjewel
Home Owners Association

Post by michaelsjewel »

jessep28 wrote:From my understanding, anchor retailers at a lot of these shopping malls negotiated ridiculous leases which are hard to break. Replacing one Oakview anchor with another probably isn't feasible if the current tenant doesn't want to leave.
Oh I'm sure. but to start, I think they could make Oakview better by remodeling the grounds/outside retail by negotiating the area to make it a destination. I hardly find Oakview failing. But it is, however, not doing as well as Westroads.
What's simple is true...
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Omaha just really doesn't need 2 enclosed mall. Especially as close at these two are to each other.

They are not going to give an anchor the boot. One of the biggest problems facing enclosed malls right now is the lack of available anchor stores. The traditional department store is a dying breed. The ones that are surviving and building are going to Lifestyle Centers (like Von Maur).

Greg
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

So Yates is either Wallstreeting or Shamrocking us which is fine but in the mean time the parking lots NEEDS resurfacing somn' fence. A friend and I just went to Applebee's and the craters nearly |expletive| the car up.
15-17, 26, 32
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

MTO wrote:So Yates is either Wallstreeting or Shamrocking us which is fine but in the mean time the parking lots NEEDS resurfacing somn' fence. A friend and I just went to Applebee's and the craters nearly |expletive| the car up.
Oh yeah, we're getting Wallstreeted pretty good. I expect the old Best Buy to become some kind of Dragon and Sword outlet. It's funny that Crossroads Village was supposed to spur the development of the surrounding area. But it seems the area has started without Yates. Crossroads is definitely the glaring eyesore.
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

choke wrote:
MTO wrote:So Yates is either Wallstreeting or Shamrocking us which is fine but in the mean time the parking lots NEEDS resurfacing somn' fence. A friend and I just went to Applebee's and the craters nearly |expletive| the car up.
Oh yeah, we're getting Wallstreeted pretty good. I expect the old Best Buy to become some kind of Dragon and Sword outlet. It's funny that Crossroads Village was supposed to spur the development of the surrounding area. But it seems the area has started without Yates. Crossroads is definitely the glaring eyesore.
Watch out, whenever you say something bad about this development people freak out.
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

It's nice they are moving on the Best Buy property. That being said, my overall impression of this whole process is negative. You just get the feeling the developers are still angling for more incentives, and without them I don't see them moving forward.

Greg
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

PotatoeEatsFish wrote:Watch out, whenever you say something bad about this development people freak out.
I don't freak out, just shake my head an laugh now...

I give them the benefit of the doubt. We live in such a strange time where everyone wants everything right now. There is no patients for anything anymore, its just a compulsive, instant gratification society we live in.

Meanwhile, developments have become more complex, financing has become more complex, regulations and permits have become more complex. Developers just cant go make a handshake deal and start building, there are so many moving parts involved. There is a lot longer lead times on development now.

I would much rather them keep the existing mall open until they have all their ducks in a row. I think it would be worse if they were to tear the existing structure down and then let it sit as a dirt field for a year until they are ready to build.

All and all, I hope they take their time and do it right. Nothing would be worse for this location than they rushed in to something and we ended up with a half assed development.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Yeah. look at how long Slosburg took at 90th and Center... and its still not done...
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote:
PotatoeEatsFish wrote:Watch out, whenever you say something bad about this development people freak out.
I don't freak out, just shake my head an laugh now...

I give them the benefit of the doubt. We live in such a strange time where everyone wants everything right now. There is no patients for anything anymore, its just a compulsive, instant gratification society we live in.

Meanwhile, developments have become more complex, financing has become more complex, regulations and permits have become more complex. Developers just cant go make a handshake deal and start building, there are so many moving parts involved. There is a lot longer lead times on development now.

I would much rather them keep the existing mall open until they have all their ducks in a row. I think it would be worse if they were to tear the existing structure down and then let it sit as a dirt field for a year until they are ready to build.

All and all, I hope they take their time and do it right. Nothing would be worse for this location than they rushed in to something and we ended up with a half assed development.
Amen Brad! I completely agree :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:Yeah. look at how long Slosburg took at 90th and Center... and its still not done...
Very true.. I still remember the old NW corner..and the Burger King and VIP car wash.. Oh and Putt-Putt Golf and the International House of Pies :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Coyote wrote:Yeah. look at how long Slosburg took at 90th and Center... and its still not done...
Very true.. I still remember the old NW corner..and the Burger King and VIP car wash.. Oh and Putt-Putt Golf and the International House of Pies :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
and that building that just said "computer games" on it. I never actually knew what that was. Was it an arcade at one point? It seemed closed down by the time I was old enough to remember driving by it.

Always wondered what it was.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

omaha79 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
and that building that just said "computer games" on it. I never actually knew what that was. Was it an arcade at one point? It seemed closed down by the time I was old enough to remember driving by it.

Always wondered what it was.
I vaguely remember that "computer games" too. I'm pretty sure it was not an arcade though...

Ciao..LiO...Prace
Go Cowboys!
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

I do agree that the project is complex and shouldn't be rushed but I have seen Aksarben Village built, Nebraska Crossing built and the Capitol District started while the Crossroads Village project remains stagnant. The digital library has already been built and Fresh Thyme is opening up in other locations now. Also, the original idea, University Village, has already been built at the Aksarben Village. Yates had great ideas but I think he got greedy because he thought Omaha was going to give him the moon like Gretna did. I hope I am wrong about the project not going forward and I should be. That intersection has too much traffic for Crossroads to remain in it's current state. Also, I wonder how much extra business Target has missed out because Crossroads is so blighted?

I'll quit griping about it now :hammer:
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

DSM's Apple Store is getting a $3 million makeover and nearly tripple in size. How about that here Mr Yates!?

http://iphone.appleinsider.com/articles ... le-in-size
15-17, 26, 32
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I've been patiently waiting on this whole project (like we all have). I haven't heard anything for awhile. I'm glad that Best Buy recently moved further West. I think that's a good sign. In the meantime, I'm ecstatic about the new Bucky's gas station and Hobby Lobby there now. It looks so much better. That is a very busy prime area of town, so it should look great, imo.

I have to say: As much as that new Target on 72nd & Dodge is very nice, I almost hate that it (and the large parking lot in front, and the parking garage behind) ruins any idea of a 100% "clean slate" there for designers. But, oh well... I think I would have loved to have the feeling of urban density with highrises near the corner of 72nd & Dodge, and stuff. Anyways, I like the overall plan as it is. I just wonder when they'll get it started?
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

RockHarbor wrote:I've been patiently waiting on this whole project (like we all have). I haven't heard anything for awhile. I'm glad that Best Buy recently moved further West. I think that's a good sign. In the meantime, I'm ecstatic about the new Bucky's gas station and Hobby Lobby there now. It looks so much better. That is a very busy prime area of town, so it should look great, imo.

I have to say: As much as that new Target on 72nd & Dodge is very nice, I almost hate that it (and the large parking lot in front, and the parking garage behind) ruins any idea of a 100% "clean slate" there for designers. But, oh well... I think I would have loved to have the feeling of urban density with highrises near the corner of 72nd & Dodge, and stuff. Anyways, I like the overall plan as it is. I just wonder when they'll get it started?

From what I have heard, it sounds like Yates has come to terms with that there are no more incentives left to get -- he was waiting for a Legislative bill to pass for more incentives but the bill stalled. Last I read, he was going to submit what he has to the city sometime in May and start construction shortly after. Although, he has been saying this for years, so who really knows.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Thanks for an update! We'll have to wait and see... (I wish I could just "like" things, like on FB, to show you I agree. I feel so chatty and gabby here. lol)
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Has anyone checked the Las Vegas oddsmakers to see which is favored to occur first, the Crossroads reconstruction or a new HDR headquarters?
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

nativeomahan wrote:Has anyone checked the Las Vegas oddsmakers to see which is favored to occur first, the Crossroads reconstruction or a new HDR headquarters?
Or hełł freezing over.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Meanwhile, just across the street, Furniture Row Outlet is closed and will become a Denver Mattress. I hope they do extensive renovations to this place.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

nativeomahan wrote:Has anyone checked the Las Vegas oddsmakers to see which is favored to occur first, the Crossroads reconstruction or a new HDR headquarters?

My money is on HDR announcing Boystown for it's HQ in the next 30 days. For Crossroads, nothing unfortunately.

Greg
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Well if time kills deals than I suppose the crossroads plan is a rotting corpse by now.
15-17, 26, 32
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

MTO wrote:Well if time kills deals than I suppose the crossroads plan is a rotting corpse by now.
Said the same person about Shamrock...
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Greg S wrote:

My money is on HDR announcing Boystown for it's HQ in the next 30 days. For Crossroads, nothing unfortunately.

Greg
In the big scheme of things, I care 100% more about the Crossroads project getting started than anything HDR does outside of DT...unless they can help kick-start Crossroads.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Agreed. If HDR isn't building downtown then I'd rather see Crossroads start happening (provided it's not too scaled down).

Greg
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Coyote wrote:
MTO wrote:Well if time kills deals than I suppose the crossroads plan is a rotting corpse by now.
Said the same person about Shamrock...
Said part sarcastic part citing, I've heard "time kills deals" a lot ever since HDR's chickenshit pullout.
15-17, 26, 32
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Greg S wrote:Agreed. If HDR isn't building downtown then I'd rather see Crossroads start happening (provided it's not too scaled down).

Greg
Maybe Gates and HDR can team up to redevelop Crossroads?
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

daveoma wrote:
Greg S wrote:Agreed. If HDR isn't building downtown then I'd rather see Crossroads start happening (provided it's not too scaled down).

Greg
HDR could have a 1/2 of 1/2 Name Brand Clothing on its ground floor for retail. That'd be awesome.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

choke wrote:
daveoma wrote:

Greg
HDR could have a 1/2 of 1/2 Name Brand Clothing on its ground floor for retail. That'd be awesome.
As well as the off-brand Yankee Candle shop and seasonal costume shop that's there now!! Maybe even a Halloween store!

The Bride
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

RNcyanide wrote:
choke wrote:
daveoma wrote:

Greg
As well as the off-brand Yankee Candle shop and seasonal costume shop that's there now!! Maybe even a Halloween store!
Even better, the county fair.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

The announcement and this thread started in 2011 so I don't think those of us complaining can necessarily all be included in the "I want it now crowd." I think 5 years is quite awhile. Yes I want it done right. That being said I am extremely frustrated with Yates. I think he wanted and believed he was going to get an incentive package similar to what he got at Gretna. That would have been great for him, but he does not have the leverage here that he did there. That's where my doubts come in.

Greg
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Greg S wrote:The announcement and this thread started in 2011 so I don't think those of us complaining can necessarily all be included in the "I want it now crowd." I think 5 years is quite awhile. Yes I want it done right. That being said I am extremely frustrated with Yates. I think he wanted and believed he was going to get an incentive package similar to what he got at Gretna. That would have been great for him, but he does not have the leverage here that he did there. That's where my doubts come in.

Greg
Yep. I think this pretty much sums it up...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!