The Crossroads (72 & Dodge)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

bluecollartechworker
New to the Neighborhood

H&M

Post by bluecollartechworker »

I heard a rumor that H&M was going to be opening a location here, but I didn't find anything about H&M when I searched the forum.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

S33 wrote:
StreetsOfOmaha wrote: I'd also say it's only a matter of time before Village Pointe, Westroads, and Shadow Lake all add residential components.
Just imagine if they would allow people to live inside the stores, I bet sales would sore through the roof.
:lol:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Plan takes shape for Crossroads

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110405/N ... crossroads
Jeffrey Robb WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The City of Omaha is looking to create a redevelopment zone around Crossroads Mall to help fund the shopping center’s makeover.

And officials hope new tax incentives offered across a roughly three-square-mile area will spark further revitalization of what is being called the “Crossroads District.”

Wednesday, the Omaha Planning Board will take up a proposal that would establish a redevelopment area centered on Dodge Street running from Happy Hollow Boulevard west to 90th Street, and roughly from Pacific Street north to Western Avenue.

The Planning Board will be asked to designate the area as blighted and substandard. That’s a legal label acknowledging that the area is in need of redevelopment, not a description of its physical condition.

Along with Crossroads Mall, the target area would include the University of Nebraska at Omaha, the Methodist Hospital area and Nebraska Furniture Mart. Among the neighborhoods included are Fairacres, Elmwood Park and Old Loveland.
omaja
Library Board

Post by omaja »

Nice!  They should extend the 'blighted' label further east along Dodge while they're at it.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Perhaps I don't understand redevelopment districts too well, but why does it include Fairacres and Old Loveland, etc? Not exactly blighted and it seems like it just makes it easier for someone to tear down some of the historic homes around there so that new mcmansions can be put there instead, much like what has happened southwest of 90th and Dodge.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Titos, I have no idea, however I wonder if it looks at more than just buildings, Loveland's roads may be blighted, and I wonder is there is a sewer project that needs to be done in fairacres?  Just a guess.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_redevelopment_plan
Area redevelopment plans
634 A council may

(a) designate an area of the municipality as a redevelopment area for the purpose of any or all of the following:
(i) preserving or improving land and buildings in the area;
(ii) rehabilitating buildings in the area;
(iii) removing buildings from the area;
(iv) constructing or replacing buildings in the area;
(v) establishing, improving or relocating roads, public utilities or other services in the area;
(vi) facilitating any other development in the area,
Seems to be a way to get anything and everything done in the area.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

In that case I declare my workstation, cir 1970 stall shower and kitchen blighted and substandard.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I'm declaring myself bloated.
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

lol!  You made my boring nice afternoon happy!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

That's terminology that really needs to be changed. All it is is a formality to allow for these kinds of special taxing districts, but it alienates people by calling their neighborhoods "blighted and substandard".

Who's idea for a name was that, and how the heck did it get accepted?
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Will Mall Come Back from Brink? Plans Released for University Village

http://www.kptm.com/story/14681700/will ... y-villiage
www.kptm.com wrote:Developers still aim to open the revitalized mall around Thanksgiving of 2013.

On Thursday, they said 27.5 acres will be remodeled and made into various shops, boutiques and businesses.

"The space will feature brands unique to Omaha," said developing partner of OTB Destination Lee Ra Johnson, Scottsdale, Arizona.

Plans show the intent to keep Target and Sears, to build a Macy's and stores like H&M, Crate & Barrel, Apple, and Lucky Strike Bowling to name a few.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Exsqueeze me? Baking powder?

Did they just confirm the developer's intent to bring in Macy's, H&M, and Crate & Barrel... "to name a few?"
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I don't see H&M coming to Westroads.  Hope I am proved wrong though.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Those are pretty big names to just be throwing around.  I would be surprised to see H&M happen as well, but that would be a major get for this place.  The closest one is in the Twin Cities and it would be the only one between there and Tucson.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Inexplicably, Albany has one.

And, to be clear, Linkin, this is the new Crossroads development we're talking about, not Westroads.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Inexplicably, Albany has one.

And, to be clear, Linkin, this is the new Crossroads development we're talking about, not Westroads.
Whoops, meant to say Crossroads :).  As Jacob said H&M would be a huge get.  Anyone know what Lucky Strike Bowling is?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

It is a "cool" bowling alley.  The one in KC is in the Power & Light District and it is 21 and over after 8.  Like a bar that wants to be a club/restaurant/bowling alley all in one.  I want terribly impressed with it, but I can see how some people would enjoy it.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Looking at H&M's map of locations, there's one in Madison, WI, and Fort Wayne, IN, both of which are smaller markets than ours. Most metros that they located in with over 1 million people seem to have more than one location. I can see them locating here.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

iamjacobm wrote:

Plans show the intent to keep Target and Sears, to build a Macy's and stores like H&M, Crate & Barrel, Apple, and Lucky Strike Bowling to name a few.
[/quote]

I don't see Apple opening or relocating down there at this time.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110520/M ... -to-gretna
At Crossroads, Yates told the group, several prospective tenants are in various levels of discussion with the team. Those include Macy’s, H&M, REI, Brooks Brothers, Yardhouse restaurant, a second Trader Joe’s and a second Apple Store.
Wow, a Macy's, H&M, and REI would be HUGE gets, not to mention second locations for Trader Joe's and Apple Store. I'm so glad they are really going for the gold and aiming to set this project apart, not only from other mixed-use or "lifestyle" centers, but from the other major malls in the Metro.

Combined with a public library, hotel, offices, and residences, this project is going to create an extremely strong urban node.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:http://www.omaha.com/article/20110520/M ... -to-gretna
At Crossroads, Yates told the group, several prospective tenants are in various levels of discussion with the team. Those include Macy’s, H&M, REI, Brooks Brothers, Yardhouse restaurant, a second Trader Joe’s and a second Apple Store.
Wow, a Macy's, H&M, and REI would be HUGE gets, not to mention second locations for Trader Joe's and Apple Store. I'm so glad they are really going for the gold and aiming to set this project apart, not only from other mixed-use or "lifestyle" centers, but from the other major malls in the Metro.

Combined with a public library, hotel, offices, and residences, this project is going to create an extremely strong urban node.
PLEASE bring a second Apple store!
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Since we can't have this downtown (alas our great surface lot deficiency) it would be nice to have a development like this closer to the east side.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

REI!! WOOO!!! I'll be broke in a week, but ready for any spontaneous mountaineering adventure!
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

almighty_tuna wrote:REI!! WOOO!!! I'll be broke in a week, but ready for any spontaneous mountaineering adventure!
I'd love REI as well but it may curb your enthusiasm a bit if turned out to be not much more than clothes, like the Chicago area locations.  I'm sure they'd cater to the demographic and compete with Cabela's and Bass Pro, but hopefully they'd have more "outdoor gear" since they don't cater to hunters and fishermen.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebport5 wrote:
almighty_tuna wrote:REI!! WOOO!!! I'll be broke in a week, but ready for any spontaneous mountaineering adventure!
I'd love REI as well but it may curb your enthusiasm a bit if turned out to be not much more than clothes, like the Chicago area locations.  I'm sure they'd cater to the demographic and compete with Cabela's and Bass Pro, but hopefully they'd have more "outdoor gear" since they don't cater to hunters and fishermen.
They thing I don't like about REI is their Downtown Denver store is absolutely AMAZING!  However the rest of the stores look like any other big box store.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I just dropped another $300 at REI last night.  :shock:  I'm getting there on my hiking/camping setup though. Picked up a new sleeping bag and my camp stove.  :D

REI would be a good get for Omaha, even if it is one of their box stores. The store closest to me is of the box variety, but they did use eco-friendly construction methods for it.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Apple plans retail stores for Sarasota, Florence, Omaha, and massive Madrid flagship
Mac Daily News wrote:“In Omaha, Nebraska, sources claim that Apple has agree to open up a store in a renovated and repurposed Crossroads Mall.”
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Coyote wrote:Apple plans retail stores for Sarasota, Florence, Omaha, and massive Madrid flagship
Mac Daily News wrote:“In Omaha, Nebraska, sources claim that Apple has agree to open up a store in a renovated and repurposed Crossroads Mall.”
You will have a bit of a wait

but is not expected to open until mall preparations are completed in 2013.

Read more: http://www.macnn.com/articles/11/05/26/ ... z1NUsUwx9X
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Sweet. Plenty of time for this project to die and lobby a move of the 2nd Apple Store to DT. :;):
DTO
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

As secretive as Apple is with its product announcements and store locations, I think this is more of a developer's wishful thinking than a done deal. Not sure Omaha had room for two at this time.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

DTO Luv wrote:Sweet. Plenty of time for this project to die and lobby a move of the 2nd Apple Store to DT. :;):
What good would it do for Apple to locate downtown over 72nd Dodge?
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

S33 wrote:
DTO Luv wrote:Sweet. Plenty of time for this project to die and lobby a move of the 2nd Apple Store to DT. :;):

How about make a plethora of urbanites happy.  I get what you mean but maybe rephrase the question.  Realistically, it's unlikely to see an Apple store downtown anytime in the near future, but in an ideal world that's where it would be.  Sure the Crossroads redevelopment if it comes to fruition would be a better bet, however...

An Apple store downtown would mean there'd be a development big enough to sustain such a store (and other coveted retail).  My fantasy development in place of the cement "Yard" would be a mixed used development with anchors like Apple, Trader Joe's, an urban Target and of course housing above.

Yes, you have UNO close to Crossroads, but you could make a case for Creighton and the downtown demographic being a bit more Apple centric.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

S33 wrote:
I was more talking out my a$$ than anything. :) I'm not big into Apple so I could care less. However, if there is only going to be one of something in the metro or its limited, it should be Downtown.
DTO
Fromaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Fromaha »

Yes, you have UNO close to Crossroads, but you could make a case for Creighton and the downtown demographic being a bit more Apple centric.
While talking to some Creighton faculty a while back, I thought they said that Creighton had, or is slated to get, an Apple store on campus. Maybe its only open to student though.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Fromaha wrote:
While talking to some Creighton faculty a while back, I thought they said that Creighton had, or is slated to get, an Apple store on campus. Maybe its only open to student though.
I doubt that, since they don't have that model anywhere else.  I could see a "computer store" with Apple licensed service, perhaps.
Stable genius.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Fromaha wrote:
They don't have an apple store but they have an apple certification program, which is a pretty big deal. It's located in the journalism / design / computing program that also houses an extremely impressive server run through apple's servers. Apple execs from Cupertino are frequently at the department. So I'd agree on the demographic fitting well downtown. I hadn't heard of an Apple store coming to the school though.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Big E wrote:
Fromaha wrote:
I doubt that, since they don't have that model anywhere else.  I could see a "computer store" with Apple licensed service, perhaps.
Actually there are some Apple Campus stores on some universities around the country
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Really?  I pay pretty close attention to Apple and that totally went by me.  I shall have to look into that.
Stable genius.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

There not everywhere and seemed to be tied in with bookstores, but a lot of them are called Authorized Apple Campus stores.

http://www.apple.com/buyoncampus/