The Crossroads (72 & Dodge)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

Creighton is part of that program.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

OK, so we're talking about authorized Apple resellers in the campus computer store, not Apple Stores on campus.

Significant difference (but only to nerds like me).
Stable genius.
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

It would be cool to get one at 72nd and Dodge, especially if they make it bigger.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Big E -- I think an Apple campus Store would be a step up from a typical reseller like Nfm/BestBuy

http://education.apple.com/locate/buyoncampus/

It talks about in house training and workshops which NFM/BB don't offer and I think they can offer the education discounts which a reseller like NFM/BB doesn't
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Uffda wrote:Big E -- I think an Apple campus Store would be a step up from a typical reseller like Nfm/BestBuy
Absolutely no argument there.
Stable genius.
skywalker23
New to the Neighborhood

Post by skywalker23 »

Uffda wrote:Big E -- I think an Apple campus Store would be a step up from a typical reseller like Nfm/BestBuy

http://education.apple.com/locate/buyoncampus/

It talks about in house training and workshops which NFM/BB don't offer and I think they can offer the education discounts which a reseller like NFM/BB doesn't
An apple campus store is a little apple store integrated into the university bookstore. at least that's what it is at my school. I don't know of any training or workshops that happen there, but it must be convenient for Macbook owners to get quick support/repair. When my Dell computer's AC adapter broke, I had to call some guy on the phone, explain what i need 3 times, and then they shipped a new AC adapter; took 2 days. Thankfully I was able to dump everything on a flash drive before the battery died, so I could continue to work using library computers while the new AC adapter came.

anyways, an apple store near a university, especially a large one like UNO, must be a cash cow for apple.
joleo
Home Owners Association

Post by joleo »

Brad wrote:
nebport5 wrote:
almighty_tuna wrote:REI!! WOOO!!! I'll be broke in a week, but ready for any spontaneous mountaineering adventure!
I'd love REI as well but it may curb your enthusiasm a bit if turned out to be not much more than clothes, like the Chicago area locations.  I'm sure they'd cater to the demographic and compete with Cabela's and Bass Pro, but hopefully they'd have more "outdoor gear" since they don't cater to hunters and fishermen.
They thing I don't like about REI is their Downtown Denver store is absolutely AMAZING!  However the rest of the stores look like any other big box store.
I've been to 3 REI's.  Seattle, Minneapolis and Denver and they are all awesome!!  I'd bet between those 3 stores, I've spent 4k-5k over the years.  One in Omaha would be amazing!!!!!!
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

What does REI sell?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

mcarch wrote:What does REI sell?
Outdoor Gear.  Hiking, climbing, camping, etc.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Anybody know when this project is supposed to begin.  I'm really hoping this does become a reality.

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Fairacres May Be Designated As Blighted
City Needs Declaration In Order To Redevelop Crossroads Mall

KETV wrote:The city plans to declare the area around Crossroads as a community redevelopment area. It's part of a state law that allows cities to offer tax increment financing to developers. In order to do that, the area must be designated as blighted and substandard.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

Yo. I don't think the Fairacres Crips are gonna like this one bit-- ------ I predict high tea followed by some taggin'.
Last edited by ricko on Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Call Johnny at the Dispensary.  He went mainstream.
Stable genius.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I believe they can shrink the area they are designating as blighted.  I think District 66 has been trying to force that.

Greg
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

ricko wrote:Yo. I don't think the Fairacres Crips are gonna like this one bit-------- I predict high tea followed by some taggin'.
ROFLMAO!
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Coyote wrote:Fairacres May Be Designated As Blighted
City Needs Declaration In Order To Redevelop Crossroads Mall

KETV wrote:The city plans to declare the area around Crossroads as a community redevelopment area. It's part of a state law that allows cities to offer tax increment financing to developers. In order to do that, the area must be designated as blighted and substandard.
This clearly demonstrates how dumb government is.  Blighted has NOTHING to do with the state of the neighborhood.  Essentially, they are saying "hey we got a great opportunity to develop ____________, but the developer wants the taxpayers to pay for a chunk."
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/Cont ... 48984.html
Rod Gates, of OTB Destination, explained they want to create a "mixed use development here with office components, hotel, student housing component of roughly 500 beds, and about 500-600,000 square feet of new market retail that's not currently operating in the Omaha market."
500 beds would be a pretty substantial addition on top of the old Dillards if they all go there.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Does anyone have a pic of the proposal rendering shown in the WOWT video?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Linkin5 wrote:Does anyone have a pic of the proposal rendering shown in the WOWT video?
Not the exact rendering.  Here is a pdf from a presentation on the project though.  It is the best I have found.

http://www.crewmidwest.com/presentation ... ads%20.pdf
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

iamjacobm wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:Does anyone have a pic of the proposal rendering shown in the WOWT video?
Not the exact rendering.  Here is a pdf from a presentation on the project though.  It is the best I have found.

http://www.crewmidwest.com/presentation ... ads%20.pdf
Nice.  Thanks, Jacob.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Crossroads 'blight' is reduced
Jeffrey Robb of the Omaha World-Herald wrote:Wednesday, the Omaha Planning Board voted 4-0 to endorse a smaller redevelopment area. Among the residential areas removed was Fairacres. Parts of the Westside Community Schools district also were removed from the redevelopment area.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

I didn't see any residential or office space in that rendering...maybe theres a more current one?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:I didn't see any residential or office space in that rendering...maybe theres a more current one?
That is from a presentation the developers had at the Qwest during the Crew Midwest event in early April.  OTB's website has nothing on the project so I assume that this is the most recent drawing available.
Dusty
Human Relations

Post by Dusty »

I really wish they would drop the "university village" from the title. Just call it Crossroads. I'm sick of all the developments using village in the title. Yes, we know it is an urban village based on design. You don't need to throw that in the name.
Fromaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Fromaha »

I really wish they would drop the "university village" from the title. Just call it Crossroads. I'm sick of all the developments using village in the title. Yes, we know it is an urban village based on design. You don't need to throw that in the name.

How about calling it The Village Shoppes at Towne Pointe Centre. A nice catch-all.  :sarcasm:
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

How else would people know it's safe to go there, though?
Stable genius.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

That plan has changed quite a bit and continues to evolve.  Hopefully for the better.  Additional tennants and more cooperation from some of those existing.  

Unfortunately, the City isn't moving forward with the Blight and Substandard in Fairacres so they won't be able to condemn that old ladys house.  That would have really made the plan awesome!   :roll:
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Dusty wrote:I really wish they would drop the "university village" from the title. Just call it Crossroads. I'm sick of all the developments using village in the title. Yes, we know it is an urban village based on design. You don't need to throw that in the name.
I agree.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

The Old Country Buffet is closed now.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Yeah, when the Old Country Buffet closes... you know the situation is dire.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Another 3 months or so they should be closer to a more definitive site layout and design... or so I'm told. Sounds like this project is going to be pretty cutting-edge and really cater toward the younger demographic, too.
Dusty
Human Relations

Post by Dusty »

I hope they save the double tent canopy over the food court and use it somewhere else in town. This is the only cool thing left at crossroads.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Dusty wrote:I hope they save the double tent canopy over the food court and use it somewhere else in town. This is the only cool thing left at crossroads.
The largest of its kind in the world when it was built, IIRC.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Dusty wrote:I hope they save the double tent canopy over the food court and use it somewhere else in town. This is the only cool thing left at crossroads.
I actually walked through the mall for the first time last week (my wife needed to stop by VS).  It was dead, but surprisingly nice.  I've seen more run-down malls (and certainly strip malls) that with much higher occupancy and customer traffic.  Sure, it looks dated, but that's just on its way to vintage, right?  The canopy is pretty cool.

I'm not going to feel bad if it's leveled, but I don't think it's as bad as people say it is.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I thought Victoria's Secret was long closed by now.
Bomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Bomaha »

You will obviously categorize this in the rumor section of this particular thread, but a friend from work is in an architecture class and had a guest lecturer, the Omaha city planner. Apparently, nordstroms and macys are set for here and they are trying desperately to get rid of Sears. They want this to be like a high end retail, area. Okay this is coming from some snot nose brat that I hate with all my might. I understand that none of this makes sense. The city planner apparently said that it is basically a done deal, but he wasn't supposed divulge those retailers. Again I don't know of any validity to these "claims" though.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I'm actually going to be sad of Sears leaves.  I don't want to drive way out to BFE when I need tools!
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Isn't Target pretty entrenched there anyway?  I don't know how you can kick out Sears because they're not "upscale" enough, but still have Target in the development.  Despite what all the fanboys say (and I am one who does enjoy Target), they really are just Wal-Mart with a classier image.  At least Sears is classic (if not classy).
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Seth wrote:I don't want to drive way out to BFE when I need tools!
Exactly!