The Papillion Mall

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Would you support an enclosed mall in this area?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:20 am

yes
83%
no
17%

Total votes: 6

nebrwesleyan
Home Owners Association

The Papillion Mall

Post by nebrwesleyan »

I have changed my mind on this issue. I originally wanted the enclosed mall. I beleive it is situated in a prime spot in our metro and would support other shopping and buisness growth along the 370 corridor. However, after seeing what RED did with South Pointe in Lincoln, and Village Point, I began to like the idea of an outdoor mall in Papillion. Then, I started to think back to what could have been. I have changed my mind a third time. I again believe that an indoor mall would be a great investment on the sout edge of our metro. It would not affect the other 3 major malls that we currenlty have and again it is in a perfect spot as the metro is growing. The development along 370 is amazing. Even after this promenade is built, I still think that an enclosed mall would go perfectly around this area of town. The plans that I have seen call for 40 tenants, with alot less square feet than that of Village Point. It seems from the plans as well, that it won't be a 'village' kind af atmosphere, but more a strip mall with some bigger buildings similar to that surrounding Oak View. What would it take to build and lobby for an indoor mall comparable to Westroads in this area. I think that it could be built closer to Kennedy Freeway. Remember that in a few years an expansion is going to be built and that will only bring more people to the area. Anyway, just a thought. Opinions?
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I think Sarpy definitely can support a million square foot enclosed mall. I mean for crying out loud... we ARE talking the fastest growing county in the state. As it happens... Papillion Promenade will not be a particularly large development in terms of store fronts. It will be dominated by surrounding big boxes... with a smaller 'town center' (considerably smaller than Village or South Pointe). I think in time 370 could support both as well (just as, on a larger scale... Dodge will support both Westroads and Village Pointe). By 'in time'... I'm thinking within 10 years after the Papillion Promenade is completed anyway... assuming something, like Offutt being shut down, doesn't happen.

Papillion Promenade http://www.eomaha.com/gallery/develop/13/
Village Pointe http://www.eomaha.com/gallery/develop/32/