Shadow Lake Towne Center (72nd and 370)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

this will really act as a catalyst for growth in the area, i predict similiar to the boom in southwest omaha brought on by oakview. I only hope that not too many people in omaha decide to move down to sarpy county though.... :roll:
loyalomahan
Library Board

Post by loyalomahan »

John Bacon, communications director for RED Development, which is partnering with Lerner on the project, said another announcement could come within about two months about one of the development's anchors, a department store.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

jsheets wrote:The Papillion Times is reporting the first 12 tenants:
http://www.papilliontimes.com/index.php ... id=1414291
Hy-Vee, Best Buy, Bed Bath & Beyond, Pier 1 Imports, American Eagle Outfitters, The Buckle, Kirkland's, T.J. Maxx, PETsMart, Chipotle, Red Robin Gourmet Burgers and First National Bank of Omaha
The best news on this list for me are Chipotle, and Red Robin. Hopefully more restaurants will be announced later. I love the Kirkland's announcement too. I was hoping for new stores to the metro, but all of these are new to Sarpy County!
It looks like its off to a good start. I like how this will be the 2nd Omaha area expansion store for Best Buy, Pier One, and American Eagle in only....three years I guess it will be. In that same time period it'll be Bed Bath and Beyond's third and Chipotle's....billionth. Prior to their most recent locations, none of these retailers opened up any new stores in Omaha for quite a few years. Omaha is getting an ambush of retail.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:I like how this will be the 2nd Omaha area expansion store for Best Buy, Pier One, and American Eagle in only....three years I guess it will be.
2nd? I believe this will be the 3rd new Best Buy in Omaha in the last year or so (unless you're subtracting the one at OakView that closed, but then you'll have to subtract the AEO closing at Mall of the Bluffs in that list too).
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I was subtracting Oak View. I didn't know that the AE at Mall of the Bluffs closed.

Shizzle...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I work in the Papio/LaVista area in a local eating/dringing establishment where all of the regualrs meet every day and I still have heard no one talk about this project. It will be great for the area.
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

More coverage from the World Herald:
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=46& ... nd=2492610
and another:
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=46&u_sid=1414743

Links to renderings:
http://www.omaha.com/toolbox/imglib/mai ... shadow.jpg

http://www.omaha.com/toolbox/imglib/mai ... owlake.jpg
RED leasing agents, he said, have packed schedules for the industry's largest trade show later this month in Las Vegas. He said they'll be seeking other tenants, such as a bookstore.
A 30,000 sq ft Best Buy. How does that compare to VP, Crossroads, or CB?
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

The entire project is about 1/3 larger than VP.

Best Buy sizes
VP- 40,000 sf
CB- 20,000 sf (about)
papiostud
Home Owners Association

Post by papiostud »

I like the look of that a lot better then Village Pointe. I bet they can get an Abercrombie or Hollister in there too.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Wow! The design in that rendering looks WAY better than what we've been looking at for some time now.

By the way... please post URL links... rather than IMG links to World Herald photos. Thank you. :)
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

This is clearly exciting news for Sarpy County. Right now there are no large shopping areas anywhere in the county. From reading the articles it sounds like the "Grand Opening" may be 2 years off. But it takes time to build a quality center, and from the artist renderings this will be a quality center. Papillion and LaVista are leading the way in the metro for quality construction regulations. This is an example of those quality controls paying off for everyone.

I hope that they lure a book store and even a cinema complex to the center. The area is starved for a good book store, and having a theatre complex would add more nighttime excitement, and help fill restaurants. I just wonder whether the county could support more screens, with a 15 screen complex stuck in the middle of a field in what was supposed to be a similarly designed shopping district on the west side of Bellevue.

With the Market Point Center tied up in court for who knows how long (6 months at least) all eyes will be on 72nd and Hwy 370 for some time to come.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

They may not be done in court... but in case you hadn't noticed the landscape is already drastically changing at 72nd and Giles.
papiostud
Home Owners Association

Post by papiostud »

Whatever happened to the Twinkcreek Town Centre they proposed? Also when is 48th St. from Cornhusker to 370 to begin?
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

native, I agree with the movie theater statement, but I don't think they are looking in that direction. I truly believe that Sarpy can handle another theater, especially when you consider that Sarpy's population is on par with Lincoln's (I think so, but don't hold me to that). Also, think about the distance between the two: Twin Creek being the Bellevue stop (3rd largest city in Nebraska, and very close to much of south O), and Shadow Lake being a closer stop for Papio, La Vista, South Ralston, Springfield...

Twin Creek still has room to grow. I had heard they were waiting to expand the bridge in front of the theater before more development goes in. Also, The Varsity sports bar there is AWESOME! Very unlike other sports bars, it's almost on par with a lounge more than a sports bar. Very cool decor, and worth a look to anyone that heads down to Twin Creek for a movie.

[ jhuston, on a side note, I think it is acceptable to quote small excerpts of text, and link to pictures, if they are fully referenced with qualifying links. This practice is used by many other sites, with google news being the highest profile. Saying that, I will abide by whatever rules you see fit, as it is your site, and you have to fight any battles coming our way. ]
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

jsheets wrote:...especially when you consider that Sarpy's population is on par with Lincoln's (I think so, but don't hold me to that).
eh, I think Sarpy's population is about half of what Lincoln's is. Sarpy ~130,000 and Lincoln ~250,000.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Anyone notice the very nice bridge in the mixed use development immediately west of Twin Creek... about as nice a looking little bridge as I've seen anywhere in the metro.

[sheets... the World Herald specifically requested that no photos be posted... while links were fair game. I have dealt with their retainer law firm before, while it was somewhat amusing, I'd rather not have to go through it again. I'll let go photos posted from any other source which doesn't specifically request otherwise though]
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Finally..

Much anticipated..MUCH needed..

And room for 60-70 stores..Department store wise, I would expect a Sears or Dillards (most likely both eventually) announcement..I would be suprised to see a Younkers..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Sodak
Home Owners Association

Post by Sodak »

PIt could be JC Penney as well. They have been moving in to stand-alone vacant Mervyn Department Stores in the Twin Cities, anchoring strip-type developments. Sears is a good bet, too. Von Maur?
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

My bet is:

#1 Von Maur (who RED has worked well with)
#2 Younkers (closed at Crossroads)
#3 Sears (less likely, but possible move from Southroads to here)
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

Another update from the OWH, this one describing the positive impact of Shadow Lake Towne Center on Sarpy County:
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1636&u_sid=1415175
Mike Ebert, a partner in RED Development that is developing the site with the Lerner Co., said most of Shadow Lake's customers will come from south of Interstate 80, between Gretna and the Missouri River, north of the Platte River.

The area has about 210,000 people and is rapidly growing, Ebert said.
Brad
City Council

RED has Nebraska ties

Post by Brad »

AZCorey
Home Owners Association

Post by AZCorey »

As exciting as this project is, I find myself rolling my eyes at the prospect of another Younkers or VonMaur, although it probably isn't realistic, it would be nice to get a department store anchor that is unique to the area, like Macy's. Macy's isn't what it used to be, but it would be a fresh face in Nebraska....or even a Daytons....something other than Dillards/Younkers/Von Maur/Sears....YAWN!!

But I am excited for the project overall....Sarpy County should feel very proud and excited about this!
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Yeah Macy's would be cool wouldn't it ... but I would say that Younkers is the safest bet given their Crossroads departure.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

My bet would be either 2 of the following:

Dillards, Sears, JC Penney, Von Maur..

Given Saks financial situation and Younkers lack of committment to the Omaha area (regardless of Crossroads closing) I'd be a bit suprised to see a Younkers springing up in this new Sarpy county development..Regardless of how much sense it would make..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

(But you'll give me a little credit for calling the Oakview Best Buy closure following the VP move... and predicting a Papillion Promenade store... yes? :D )

Well, hopefully it will be at least a Younkers or Dillards. I personally can't figure out how Von Maur even makes it at Westroads, they always seem to have so little foot traffic. In the case of Shadow Lake, I can't see it surviving in this still relatively middle class dominated part of the metro, on the other hand the Lincoln store seems to still be hanging around.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

jhuston wrote:(But you'll give me a little credit for calling the Oakview Best Buy closure following the VP move... and predicting a Papillion Promenade store... yes? :D )

Well, hopefully it will be at least a Younkers or Dillards. I personally can't figure out how Von Maur even makes it at Westroads, they always seem to have so little foot traffic. In the case of Shadow Lake, I can't see it surviving in this still relatively middle class dominated part of the metro, on the other hand the Lincoln store seems to still be hanging around.
Credit officially granted :D ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Anyone notice the very nice bridge in the mixed use development immediately west of Twin Creek... about as nice a looking little bridge as I've seen anywhere in the metro.
http://www.continentalbridge.com/galler ... /index.cfm
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I honestly don't know that there is much of a future for big, upscale retail stores... I mean look at the state of these stores today. It would be nice to see a new store come to town... but I wouldn't count on it with all the consolidation that is going on. At this point... Sarpy just needs -a- department store.

If there is one thing Phoenix can be proud of... it is it's retail offerings. I guess it's the best refuge from 110 degree heat.

As for restaurants... I sure haven't forgotten about them... and west Omaha is getting it's share of new locally owned establishments as well. There are a number of locally owned retail establishments also going into smaller developments like Shops at Legacy/Lakeside/etc.

It's also exciting to see Saddlecreek brining a local brand of entertainment to North Downtown (which of course the Old Market has already carved out a niche for... we see so many overly sanitized, 'me to' entertainment districts springing up in big cities around the nation... it's nice Omaha retains it's local flavor.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Corey-

I couldn' tagree more with your assessment of chain restaurants in the Omaha market.

I have never understood the fascination with those places. I mean, how many ways can you deep fry something? They are great for small towns like Fremont or Grand Island, but Omaha has the population (and the money and diversity) to support some unique places.

One thing I've never understood is why these unique to Omaha restaurants haven't formed some sort of marketing coalition - especially the ones located in the Old Market. It doesn't matter what night you go down there, you can almost guarantee that Old Chicago will be the busiest place in the neighborhood.

Chains like Flemings and Kona Grill are at least a step in the right direction. They provide respite from the never-ending lineup of Applebee's, TIGFridays, Outback, and the like.

But the TRULY great restaurants are the ones that stand on their own and mirror the local flavor, as well as dictate it.

-Big E
Stable genius.
AZCorey
Home Owners Association

Post by AZCorey »

Jeff Houston,

All I can say to your response is that THANK GOD I only have 40 more days of this horrid heat!! I move to LA on 4th of July weekend....and then it's ADIOS PHOENIX! I feel like I'm getting out of prison! haha

There is a local publication here, called the 'New Times', and the current cover story is about how Phoenix cannot compare with other large cities, and how strange it is that although we have a substantial population, we are just not in the leagues of Dallas, LA, Atlanta, Chicago, Houston, Miami, and many others....actually, DTO feels much more urban than DT Phoenix because Omaha has a lot more history....this is definitely the weirdest place I have ever been to or lived in....and although I am clear that LA isn't paradise, it's at least a big city with a good energy, progressive thinking and culture.

You are right, Phoenix does have some beautiful malls and shopping areas....'they' are fortunate to have Saks, Neimans, Nordstrom, Gucci, Tiffany's and others....the big malls in Chandler and Scottsdale are pretty tough to beat anywhere.....
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

So on monday I heard the first comment on the new pappillion mall. "I heard its going to be a Hy Vee with a strip mall along it" Being the good bartender that I am I got a beer coaster and a pen and drew a picture and explained it all to him.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Enjoy LA Corey!

Back to the subject at hand... RED was kind enough to email a higher resolution copy of the rendering the World Herald was showing. Apparently Shadow Lake will have all the little details that VP has... right down to the fireplaces. It should be a very nice development.

OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

I don't think that diagnal parking is such a good idea. At VP, they close the main road off most of the time anyway, y don't they just make it a walkway with parking outside of it?

Are there any proposed hotels in this area. I have always thought a hotel would work out in the Village Point area, and if this is bigger than VP, it should work out even better.
loyalomahan
Library Board

Post by loyalomahan »

I think your thinking of the Old Market (which they now no longer close down the street for either) because aside from when it first opened when they had a concert stage set up, I cant think of a time when they've closed off the 'main street' at VP. The diagonal parking at VP is used all the time and in it's own way slows traffic down making the street more pedestrian friendly.
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

loyalomahan wrote:I think your thinking of the Old Market (which they now no longer close down the street for either) because aside from when it first opened when they had a concert stage set up, I cant think of a time when they've closed off the 'main street' at VP. The diagonal parking at VP is used all the time and in it's own way slows traffic down making the street more pedestrian friendly.
Nope last saturday I was out buying some shoes at Scheels and the main road was closed. This wasn't the first time I saw it either.
loyalomahan
Library Board

Post by loyalomahan »

Perhaps when they have their weekend night music entertainment on hand, but aside from that I've never seen the road closed off, certainly not on weekdays.
scraper
Home Owners Association

Post by scraper »

The street was closed at VP last weekend, and for a couple weeks before that, because they were redoing all of the brickwork in the road.
loyalomahan
Library Board

Post by loyalomahan »

That makes even more sense. Although I liked the extreme bumpy factor, another traffic calming 'device'.
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Ohhh, I knew there was a sloution. I really doubted that the would just close it like that.
Raraavis
Library Board

Post by Raraavis »

I have a friend who is a department manager at Von Maur. They said there is no chance of a second Von Maur in Omaha any time soon. The Department Store Anchor is going to have to be someone else.