Shadow Lake Towne Center (72nd and 370)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

flyOMA wrote: Can you imagine what a project like this would have looked like 10 years ago?  I cringe just thinking about it.
A cringe, a cough drop and a shudder at that thought..

:;):  ..
Go Cowboys!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Stargazer wrote:Of course if this architecture were in North Downtown or Aksarben Village it would be hailed by our creative class as another great achievement towards Omaha's urban renaissance.
Well, no, actually.  I'd make fun of it there, too.  And thankfully, I don't have to, because we're not seeing this kind of development in urban Omaha.  We're seeing actual urban development.

Anyway, I will certainly take the Disney World architecture over what might have been built 10 years ago, and, as I said, think it's fantastic for Sarpy County and the Metro.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
scraper
Home Owners Association

Post by scraper »

It sure looks like Slowdown is using washed out bricks meant to make it look older than it really is.  Is that Disney World architecture as well?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Nickelodeon's Bell giving free concert in Papillion
Omaha World Herald wrote:Drake Bell, star of Nickelodeon's "Drake and Josh," will perform music from his new album in a free concert at Shadow Lake Towne Center at 1 p.m. May 27. Bell will perform in the Alegent Health Amphitheater. After the show, he is scheduled to sign autographs at Best Buy.

The celebration includes a concert by the B-52s at 7 p.m. May 26.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

According to the print version of the OWH today there is a brew pub coming to SLTC.  I have not read this here before so sorry if I missed it.  It will be a locally owned place called Nebraska Brewing Co. owned by Kim and Paul Kavulak.  It will be located near the new HyVee @7474 Towne Center Parkway Suite 101  Seating for 170 with a full bar and American restaurant.  They will be making 6 beers on site.  More can bee seen by spending $.50 and getting a hard copy of the OWH ( but not much more)  Hope to be open in October.

Here is the start of their web site I found.

http://www.nebraskabrewingco.com/
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Paul must have changed the name for this brew pub. We have been watching it over here:
Flatland Brewing Company coming to Omaha
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:Paul must have changed the name for this brew pub. We have been watching it over here:
Flatland Brewing Company coming to Omaha

Well apparently not all of WE      :mrgreen:  

I was focusing on the name and it didn't click.  With the Flatland name it now "clicks"

Besides, what happened to the keep it in one thread rule?     :bounce:
skaught
New to the Neighborhood

Post by skaught »

From the OWH:

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... id=2386318
Kim Kavulak said she and husband Paul are still negotiating a lease of the space at 7474 Towne Center Parkway, Suite 101, behind the new Hy-Vee Supermarket at 72nd Street and Nebraska Highway 370. But they hope to open a 170-seat, full-service American restaurant, brewery and bar there in October.

Sounds like it's still somewhat up in the air.  Hopefully it comes together.  Closing out the development with Dick's, Macy's, a theater and a brew pub would suddenly take it to another level.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Shadow Lake Towne Center in Papillion formally opens
Omaha World Herald wrote:About 400 people attended the opening ceremonies. Gov. Dave Heineman cut a 12-foot floral garland. Papillion Mayor James Blinn spoke about how Shadow Lake will benefit the community. The outdoor shopping center at 72nd Street and Nebraska Highway 370 has 800,000 square feet and 32 retailers. An additional 15 stores are planned, and there are more vacancies to fill.

Other events for the grand opening weekend include a performance by Nickelodeon star Drake Bell at 1 p.m. today in the Alegent Health Amphitheatre. On Memorial Day, a patriotic program will feature the Offutt Air Force Base Color Guard, a special flag celebration and live musical performance by the Avi8ors.
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

I would be curious to hear estimates on the B-52s attendance.  We were there, and the traffic control cops stopped letting cars into the mall around 7:20 as there was no more parking in the lots.  People were parking down by Farmer B's and walking; others were parking by Great Clips and daring the crossing of Hwy 370 at 72nd Street; some kids tried parking in a field south of the mall and about 5 cars were stuck in the mud.  I guess there was a shuttle from Papio South but I didn't hear much about it.  It was a great night out there, and there seemed like a lot of people at the concert and walking through the mall.  It felt packed.

Some notes:
The Borders is very nice.  The Wheatfield's building is two stories with an interior elevator and hallways/bathroom.  The varied architecture is very cool looking.  The fountain area is sunken, so you step down into a nice small amphitheater space w/ water and fountains in the middle.  There is an area for summertime kid fountains that kids can walk through the jumping water.
lonnie
Library Board

Post by lonnie »

jsheets wrote:Some notes:
The Borders is very nice.  The Wheatfield's building is two stories with an interior elevator and hallways/bathroom.  The varied architecture is very cool looking.  The fountain area is sunken, so you step down into a nice small amphitheater space w/ water and fountains in the middle.  There is an area for summertime kid fountains that kids can walk through the jumping water.
I couldn't agree more, my wife and I bugged out before the B-52's, spent an hour or so in Borders.

I was struck how the center area had that old downtown flair, much more than Village Pointe... Village Pointe has more of a theme and Shadow Lake is a mish-mash of architecture making it look like it grew over many decades.

Where is the Wheatfields building?  In the center area?

Lonnie
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

Where is the Wheat Fields building?  In the center area?
Wheat Fields faces Hwy 370, just west of the grocery store.  They have a couple of big Wheat Fields signs in the windows that face 370.  There looks to be a nice patio space for them on the North side.

Also, I noticed that there is a large building going in between G Mans and J C P.  My wife was hoping for a Macy's there, but according to the S L T C map it is a strip of 6-8 small retailers.  I think the only spot left for Macy's is next door to Dick's, unless they do something creative and place it in the parking between J C P and the 'mall' area.  And I'm excited for the Movie Theater rumor, but I don't see anywhere that it would fit, except for a possible new development across to the south or 72.

Oh, and the map says that Nebraska Brewing Company will go in at the most SE point of the mall behind grocery store.  Close to where the concert was yesterday. (And I won a Nebraska Brewing Company shirt today from a prize wheel by Borders :D.  One of the prizes was for "Coco Locos" which they said is the new water park name at Holiday Inn 72 St.)

Another note:  Even with many tenants already opened or in construction; I would guess that the mall area is only 50%-60% occupied, much like Village Point when it opened.  So I anticipate many great announcements over the next year.  Hopefully a Gap, as they seem to enter late (Village Point, and Jordan Creek), and some more eating options.  There is a great spot along the amphitheater for a Paradise Bakery or bakery type place.

(Sorry about the badly spelled words and abbreviations here, but the spelling checker isn't allowing posts with words it doesn't know today)
lonnie
Library Board

Post by lonnie »

j sheets,

Thanks for the great info.

Lonnie

PS: Spelling Cow sucks, I hope Admin dumps it.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

lonnie wrote:PS: Spelling Cow sucks, I hope Admin dumps it.
I LOVE it, but I also think I am the only one that does not have a problem using it, but I also think I am the only one that uses Internet Explorer.

If the Admin does dump it, I hope they replace it with another spell checker.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

You can disable it in your profile.
lonnie
Library Board

Post by lonnie »

Coyote wrote:
You can disable it in your profile.
Thank you, thank you, I did look at my profile earlier, but missed it.

Firefox 2.0 (OS X) does inline spelling, works great for me.

Lonnie
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

lonnie wrote:Firefox 2.0 (OS X) does inline spelling, works great for me.

Me too, on Windows.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Lack of highway access tarnishes Gold Coast businesses

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10055448
First the access from Gold Coast Road to Highway 370 closed. Then Farmer B's Steak House followed.

The restaurant at 1406 Gold Coast Road in Papillion has a "For Sale" sign in front of it.

Mimi Janda, a co-owner of Farmer B's, said the highway access was a factor in the decision to close May 21.

The party business was booming, she said. "We had prenups (wedding rehearsal dinners), we had anniversaries. We had all that stuff."

But regular business was slow.

"Basically, the faucet was slowly shutting off as construction started, and when they actually closed the road, the faucet just went totally off," Janda said.

Janda and her husband, David, did not own the restaurant when the Papillion City Council decided to remove the access from Gold Coast Road to Highway 370.

"We bought it (in 2005) knowing full well, but not realizing, the impact it would have," she said.

At Naber Chiropractic, owner Dr. Troy Naber said lack of highway access has reduced traffic to businesses along that section of Gold Coast Road. Naber's office, 1410 Gold Coast Road, looks out over the Farmer B's parking lot.

The closure reduced the number of cars in the parking lot by at least a third, he said. "And . . . you're going to have Texas Roadhouse going in down (at Shadow Lake) with main access. . . . It's just going to be a nightmare."
joebob12
New to the Neighborhood

Post by joebob12 »

Farmer B's closed for reasons other than traffic and the reduced Highway access. Mrs. Janda had put Farmer B's in trouble long before that.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I finally had the chance to drive down and check out Shadow Lake.  

Pretty standard "mall faire" (But great for Papio and Sarpy Co, as I've said), but I have to say, at least along the "main street," I really like the design way better than that of Village Pointe.  Although its mere cosmetics and a bit contrived, I like a lot of the architecture ("mockitecture?") and some of the little touches of urban design, like the billboards on top of some of the buildings.

*note: I was being overly critical of the architecture to the desired end of a calculated comic effect.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I still can not comprehend why people get so upset when someone trys to re-create past architecture.  I don't want every building in town to look new, "state of the art design"  who knows what they are going to look like in time?  But we do know from the old market people are attracted to the historic looking structures.  I completely dis agree with the "Disneyland Architecture" and you new one "mockitecture"

I would rather see 10 more re-creations of old buildings than one more modern building that looks like heck 2 years after it is completed.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I tend to agree with you, Brad.  I LOVE a lot of the architectural movements of the past, and recreation of the styles is fine and GREAT, but it comes down to a level of quality.  That's why I say it's mockitechture.  It's fake, meant to "look" like stone, etc.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

yeah Brad... as opposed to the truly urban 'Slowdown' development, for example ... which uses real concrete.

Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I see what you guys are saying but I would much rather see Mockitecture as opposed to this:

Besides, I am sure a lot of it has to do with Cost.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I guess I should have added a wink or smiley emoticon or something.

You had me at "I still can not comprehend why people get so upset when someone trys to re-create past architecture" :)
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Those bricks at Shadow Lake are just as real as the ones at Slowdown (aside from the absence of the fake weathering).  Calling the pre-cast concrete walls a 'contemporary touch' is a bit of a stretch... but whatever.  You're the urban aesthetics guru.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Like I said, I actually like the architecture at SLTC.  I guess it just all seems like a lie to me.  The architecture could be art deco, neo-classical, beaux arts, whatever.  The point is, it's just a front.  No matter how much you make the mall "feel" like it has a sense of place, it's still just strip malls lined up facing each other in a sea of parking.  That's what frustrates me.  It's like taking a chunk of poop and painting it to look like gold.  For me, in the end it's not as much about the architecture as it is about the nature of the development.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

...for no reason other than I like the quote...

"You can nail antlers on a mouse and its still a mouse..."
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Larry's still upset that developers have been forced to update their stucco and concrete block architecture with 'mockitecture' to keep up with the RED Development's of the world. :)
papiostud
Home Owners Association

Post by papiostud »

Has it been announced that DSW is another tenant??  I was searching to see if Urban Outfitters started hiring and I came across store manager for DSW in Papillion.   This is grrreat news.    Kansas City only has 3, now so will we.     Still dont know why we have no Jamba Juice.[/justify]
j4nu
Home Owners Association

Post by j4nu »

SLTC has a nice aesthetic appeal and I too am a fan of revival of some architectural styles.  This has been going on for a very long time and is part of design and general.  Every aesthetic, at least the good ones, have a habit of coming around.  Just look at the resurgence of mid century modern now for example.  Ten years ago you couldn't give those properties away, now they are in demand.

Omaha must maintain a respect to the past while looking at the future.  The styling of VP and SLTC are nice and generally well done.  I rather like them.  To balance that, we have the contemporary designs of Aksarben Village and Mutual's new development.
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

More stores for SLTC:
http://www.papilliontimes.com/site/tab6 ... 7008&rfi=6
Fatburger, Finish Line, American Eagle, Complete Nutrition and New York & Company
I have never been to a Fatburger, what are they like?

Of already announced tenants:
Hallmark and Wheatfield's will open Aug. 15, followed by Chico's Aug. 20 and Tropical Smoothie Cafe, GNC and Gordman's at the end of the month
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Here's a link to FatBurger.

http://www.fatburger.com/home/
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Jeff beals said that Fatburger is a major get for the midwest

http://www.fatburger.com
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

jsheets wrote:More stores for SLTC:
http://www.papilliontimes.com/site/tab6 ... 7008&rfi=6
Fatburger, Finish Line, American Eagle, Complete Nutrition and New York & Company
I have never been to a Fatburger, what are they like?

Of already announced tenants:
Hallmark and Wheatfield's will open Aug. 15, followed by Chico's Aug. 20 and Tropical Smoothie Cafe, GNC and Gordman's at the end of the month
A Complete Nutrition AND a GNC? wth? Do they really see that market area as being in need of that much to offer? I don't even think they'd toss in a Starbucks and a Scooters in the same center!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

djc311 wrote:I don't even think they'd toss in a Starbucks and a Scooters in the same center!
There are places in the US where you can look out of the window of one Starbucks and see the signs of 2 more.  All you need is a Super target and a grocery store, both with Starbucks in them and then a free standing Starbucks in the parking lot.  It happens all over.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

There are virtually no areas in lower Manhattan where you can not see at least two Starbucks at the same time.

-Big E
Stable genius.
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

Big E wrote:There are virtually no areas in lower Manhattan where you can not see at least two Starbucks at the same time.

-Big E
That's my point! If the center doesn't attract a Starbucks & a Scooters, or even just one brand with multiple stores, then why locate two companies which significantly overlap one another in the same place? As a matter of fact, the GNC's in Omaha were all owned at one time by the guy who started Complete Nutrition.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Gordmans opening at Shadow Lake Towne Center set for Thur
Omaha World Herald wrote:Gordmans' opening caps a busy month at Shadow Lake Towne Center. A Hallmark store, Chico's, and locally owned Wheatfields restaurant opened earlier this month. GNC is set to open next week. Tropical Smoothie Café and Sweet & Sassy are scheduled to open before the end of September.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Two new retailers, restaurant coming to Shadow Lake
Omaha World Herald wrote:Retailers New York & Company and ULTA, and the Nebraska Brewing Company restaurant will open this month at Shadow Lake Towne Center in Papillion. Other retailers and restaurants scheduled to open early next year include Texas Roadhouse, American Eagle, Fatburger, Finish Line, Sally Beauty, Top Q Nails and Complete Nutrition.