Shadow Lake Towne Center (72nd and 370)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Re: Shadow Lake Towne Center (72nd and 370)

Post by omaha79 »

debradomayer wrote:I was out there last month and counted 9 empty storefronts on the "main" street, not including the Gordmans building. That's quite a few!
It's too bad, but Shadow Lake truly has never quite lived up to expectations. The mall portion of Shadow Lake (not the perimeter grocery store and restaurants) now feels like it's in a death spiral. It opened right before the economy tanked in the mid 2000's and has endured the struggles of retail in the internet age. Even from the start, high profile bays were filled with things like Dollar Stores (which you know wasn't their intent). It's also suffered from the opening of the Gretna outlet malls which took several stores and attention from the mall. There are still bays that have never really been filled. There are parcels of land that have never been developed.

On another note, I've often heard complaints that the stores they did put in were too small. Almost "mini-me" versions of their counterparts at places like Westroads and Oak View. My wife has often complained about going there only to be told, "we don't have that here, but it's in stock at oak view." She heard that enough to the point where she simply doesn't shop at Shadow Lake anymore.

It's too bad, but Shadow Lake was and is a truly underwhelming project. I'm not even sure Shadow Lake can be saved at this point in terms of being a large scale shopping destination. May as well get rid of at least half of that center strip. They may never fill it, not with the development going in on 84th Street.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

The folks that created and developed the Shadow Lake shopping area clearly cooked up a winner. Sure they have got some empty bays and lots, but times are tough. I have been in just about every Hy-Vee in town and the one at Shadow Lake looks like the biggest of them all and it is always packed. The Texas Roadhouse at Shadow Lake is always busy as are many of the restaurants. Lots of cash is being dropped in a lot of those stores at Shadow Lake. The Dollar Tree at Shadow Lake is doing quite the business and they pay the same rent as everyone else. Shadow Lake is a success story. You want to see what a flop really looks like go look at Sorensen Park or this new Millard Lumber Yard strip mall. Those 2 malls are good examples of what dead malls look like.
lonnie
Library Board

Post by lonnie »

As long as "Chocolaterie Stam" remains in the central mall area, there is hope.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:The folks that created and developed the Shadow Lake shopping area clearly cooked up a winner. Sure they have got some empty bays and lots, but times are tough. I have been in just about every Hy-Vee in town and the one at Shadow Lake looks like the biggest of them all and it is always packed. The Texas Roadhouse at Shadow Lake is always busy as are many of the restaurants. Lots of cash is being dropped in a lot of those stores at Shadow Lake. The Dollar Tree at Shadow Lake is doing quite the business and they pay the same rent as everyone else. Shadow Lake is a success story. You want to see what a flop really looks like go look at Sorensen Park or this new Millard Lumber Yard strip mall. Those 2 malls are good examples of what dead malls look like.
I would tend to disagree. If you are basing it on having the development full and healthy as a whole, it's not been nearly as successful as other developments in the city. If we are trying to determine who the "winners" are, I'd say Westroads, Village Point, Gretna Outlets, and AkSarBen Village have positioned themselves for more as "winners" than Shadow lake.

I've lived in the area for the entire time Shadow Lake has been open. Even at it's absolute peak, the center area was only about 75% full, but it's probably closer to 50% now. There are bays on the perimeter that have never been filled. Some have turned over 2-3 times. There are lots that were planned to be restaurants on the perimeter that remain empty green space.

At best, the results of this development can be construed as "acceptable", but certainly not a home run and I think it could be even tougher in the future as La Vista's 84th Street project gets going.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

omaha79 wrote:
I would tend to disagree. If you are basing it on having the development full and healthy as a whole, it's not been nearly as successful as other developments in the city. If we are trying to determine who the "winners" are, I'd say Westroads, Village Point, Gretna Outlets, and AkSarBen Village have positioned themselves for more as "winners" than Shadow lake.

I've lived in the area for the entire time Shadow Lake has been open. Even at it's absolute peak, the center area was only about 75% full, but it's probably closer to 50% now. There are bays on the perimeter that have never been filled. Some have turned over 2-3 times. There are lots that were planned to be restaurants on the perimeter that remain empty green space.

At best, the results of this development can be construed as "acceptable", but certainly not a home run and I think it could be even tougher in the future as La Vista's 84th Street project gets going.
Seriously now.....Shadow Lake has got to be pulling in at least 10 times more people and money as the Gretna Outlets!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
omaha79 wrote:

Seriously now.....Shadow Lake has got to be pulling in at least 10 times more people and money as the Gretna Outlets!
I think you would be surprised how many people the The outlets draw. Last Saturday afternoon I was there and the parking was overflowing onto the grass and along the street where there is no parking and that is fairly common on a weekend. The week days / evenings are busy all the time.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

omaha79 wrote:If we are trying to determine who the "winners" are, I'd say Westroads, Village Point, Gretna Outlets, and AkSarBen Village have positioned themselves for more as "winners" than Shadow lake.
I'm curious how Regency and One Pacific Place are doing? While neither is as big as the ones you mention they compete to varying extents. Are they full? Mostly full?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

NovakOmaha wrote:
omaha79 wrote:If we are trying to determine who the "winners" are, I'd say Westroads, Village Point, Gretna Outlets, and AkSarBen Village have positioned themselves for more as "winners" than Shadow lake.
I'm curious how Regency and One Pacific Place are doing? While neither is as big as the ones you mention they compete to varying extents. Are they full? Mostly full?
Ron Samuelson is putting another SamFam themed restaurant in Regency Court near Garbos, a French Champaign themed Eau de Vie, while Pig and Finch just left OPP.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
omaha79 wrote:

I would need to see solid numbers to know for sure that Shadow Lake pulls in "10 times more people and money as the Gretna Outlets".

But, even if that were true, a development could still bring in more money than a competitor and still underperform its own expectations. Conversely, a smaller development can outperform it's own projections and be more of a success than a larger scale competitor.

I will absolutely promise you that the developers of Shadow Lake didn't envision the center strip being half full roughly a dozen years into the developments life cycle. I'm also sure they didn't envision things like the Dollar Tree and a Cox Solutions Store taking up prominent large bays. I'm certain they didn't predict some of the anchor stores turning over multiple times in 10 years. They likely didn't anticipate Gordmans, Borders, Aeropostale, World Market, New York and Company, and American Eagle to fold as quickly as they did. Some bays have never been leased even once. And, I don't think they envisioned Spirit Halloween taking up a different marquee bay every year.

What will be the next to fold? My money is on JC Penney's. That company is circling the drain. God help that development if that happens. It's lights out for the retail portion of this development if that happens.

I want Shadow Lake to be vibrant and successful. I live 5 minutes away. Unfortunately, it's been thoroughly underwhelming. It's really only propped up by the grocery store and the handful of restaurants on the outer perimeter.
EricHaley
Human Relations

Post by EricHaley »

omaha79 wrote:
GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
omaha79 wrote:

I would need to see solid numbers to know for sure that Shadow Lake pulls in "10 times more people and money as the Gretna Outlets".

But, even if that were true, a development could still bring in more money than a competitor and still underperform its own expectations. Conversely, a smaller development can outperform it's own projections and be more of a success than a larger scale competitor.

I will absolutely promise you that the developers of Shadow Lake didn't envision the center strip being half full roughly a dozen years into the developments life cycle. I'm also sure they didn't envision things like the Dollar Tree and a Cox Solutions Store taking up prominent large bays. I'm certain they didn't predict some of the anchor stores turning over multiple times in 10 years. They likely didn't anticipate Gordmans, Borders, Aeropostale, World Market, New York and Company, and American Eagle to fold as quickly as they did. Some bays have never been leased even once. And, I don't think they envisioned Spirit Halloween taking up a different marquee bay every year.

What will be the next to fold? My money is on JC Penney's. That company is circling the drain. God help that development if that happens. It's lights out for the retail portion of this development if that happens.

I want Shadow Lake to be vibrant and successful. I live 5 minutes away. Unfortunately, it's been thoroughly underwhelming. It's really only propped up by the grocery store and the handful of restaurants on the outer perimeter.
Excellent pick, but my money is on Sears falling just before JCP does. Anyone have any other additions to the brick and mortar dead pool?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

EricHaley wrote:
omaha79 wrote:
GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
omaha79 wrote:

Excellent pick, but my money is on Sears falling just before JCP does. Anyone have any other additions to the brick and mortar dead pool?
Only issue with that pick is the post was projecting the next to close at SL There is no Sears there.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

nebugeater wrote:
GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
omaha79 wrote:

I think you would be surprised how many people the The outlets draw. Last Saturday afternoon I was there and the parking was overflowing onto the grass and along the street where there is no parking and that is fairly common on a weekend. The week days / evenings are busy all the time.

We stopped by the outlets last Saturday after going to the Air and Space Museum (or might now be SAC Museum again). The lot was essentially full. Seems to be doing very very well. I work near Shadow Lake. Seems to be doing fine, but never very busy.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
omaha79 wrote:

We stopped by the outlets last Saturday after going to the Air and Space Museum (or might now be SAC Museum again). The lot was essentially full. Seems to be doing very very well. I work near Shadow Lake. Seems to be doing fine, but never very busy.

Greg

What ever day it was this week, I think Wed, that H&M had their grand opening they had 700 people in line when the store opened. When I went by about 5:00 the lots were near full. Granted there was this opening but if it was so far of of peoples radar there wouldn't be the draw for the opening.
EricHaley
Human Relations

Post by EricHaley »

nebugeater wrote: Only issue with that pick is the post was projecting the next to close at SL There is no Sears there.
So I win then? :lol: :lol: :lol:
WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association

Post by WBR_Tom »

OfficeMax is closing at Shadow Lake, which brings the unofficial tally of empty storefronts into the double digits out there. With the groundbreaking for the new 84th Street development in La Vista a couple weeks back signaling that project is actually going to happen, it's looking like Shadow Lake is "on the clock" to turn things around...
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

WBR_Tom wrote:OfficeMax is closing at Shadow Lake, which brings the unofficial tally of empty storefronts into the double digits out there. With the groundbreaking for the new 84th Street development in La Vista a couple weeks back signaling that project is actually going to happen, it's looking like Shadow Lake is "on the clock" to turn things around...
Its not Shadow Lakes fault. The Office Supply chains are all doomed. The Office Supply Stores had there run and it now looks like they will all be going extinct. First.... you can't find a good deal in those places to save your life. That is they're biggest problem and always has been. Second.... as computers and tablets advance and proliferate there becomes a lot less need for staples and paper clips and ink pens.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

I really don't think Shadow Lake is going to continue to be very successful. Giant, exclusively retail developments like this aren't going to work for the 21st century. The projects that are successful are mixed use developments.
#gohawks
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
WBR_Tom wrote:OfficeMax is closing at Shadow Lake, which brings the unofficial tally of empty storefronts into the double digits out there. With the groundbreaking for the new 84th Street development in La Vista a couple weeks back signaling that project is actually going to happen, it's looking like Shadow Lake is "on the clock" to turn things around...
Its not Shadow Lakes fault. The Office Supply chains are all doomed. The Office Supply Stores had there run and it now looks like they will all be going extinct. First.... you can't find a good deal in those places to save your life. That is they're biggest problem and always has been. Second.... as computers and tablets advance and proliferate there becomes a lot less need for staples and paper clips and ink pens.
That is true abut the office supply stores, but if Shadow Lake was such a "winner" like you mentioned in a previous post, they'd have no issue filling the space; however, it looks like they have a huge problem on their hands. Honestly, I see this development in the opening stages of a death spiral. We've seen this play out at multiple retail developments in our lifetimes including The Center, Southroads, Crossroads, and most recently, Oak View.

The future looks bleak. As another poster stated, you now have double digit empty bays. You have bays that have never really been filled in the 10 years the place has existed. Retail is not doing well. So, the chances of filling these spots are slim. The rent is notoriously high down there and some of these bays like Office Max and Gordmans have high square footage. The center aisle of Shadow Lake is nearly half empty and has a bad layout.

The development continues to fight against other, often newer developments in Sarpy County like the Gretna Outlet Malls, the new 84th St. area in La Vista, 72nd and Giles (Wal-Mart), 126 and Giles, and Midlands Place.

Honestly, the only lynch pin keeping Shadow Lake even somewhat relevant is Hy-Vee and the few perimeter restaurants. The retail component of this development is dying a slow death. It wouldn't shock me if Best Buy leaves next. There is never anyone in there. They don't even typically have the main checkout counters open. They are constantly reconfiguring the store to try to get people to come in. The overall chain is still struggling too. If BB goes next, how does the saying go, "turn out the lights, the party's over." JC Penneys is also on the watch list.

I don't know what they will ultimately do with this development once it eventually does fail and turns into an eyesore, but Papillion can't afford to let it become a total blight on the community. They need to be thinking 10 years down the road right now.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Like most of these threads, it's interesting to read the first couple pages of this one from 12 years ago. Credit to Nativeomahan for seeing this eventually coming.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:The folks that created and developed the Shadow Lake shopping area clearly cooked up a winner. Sure they have got some empty bays and lots, but times are tough. I have been in just about every Hy-Vee in town and the one at Shadow Lake looks like the biggest of them all and it is always packed. The Texas Roadhouse at Shadow Lake is always busy as are many of the restaurants. Lots of cash is being dropped in a lot of those stores at Shadow Lake. The Dollar Tree at Shadow Lake is doing quite the business and they pay the same rent as everyone else. Shadow Lake is a success story. You want to see what a flop really looks like go look at Sorensen Park or this new Millard Lumber Yard strip mall. Those 2 malls are good examples of what dead malls look like.

Is there a Texas Roadhouse that isn't busy?

I think the next place to close at Shadow Lake will be JCPenney's.

Greg
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

They ought to do what some much older centers are finally thinking about trying, get some residential incorporated IN the development. The advantage they have is that the commercial thats there is still new and nice looking so the residential products could be better than if it were a dying 70s strip. Lots of parking and other spaces available that could easily be sacrificed for actual development and driving more people near the remaining retail.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Garrett wrote:Like most of these threads, it's interesting to read the first couple pages of this one from 12 years ago. Credit to Nativeomahan for seeing this eventually coming.
Even a blind squirrel occasionally can find the nut. :)
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

With Charming Charlies slated to close, this leaves another huge hole in Shadow Lake Towne Center.

This development is dangerously close to a death spiral.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

omaha79 wrote:With Charming Charlies slated to close, this leaves another huge hole in Shadow Lake Towne Center.

Maybe folks just didn't like Charming Charlies. I can't say if I like Charming Charlies or I don't since I have never had the misfortune of a dingy dragging me into one yet! I can say as a fact that Shadow Lake is nowhere close to a death spiral. I was just there Saturday and business was booming. It looked like people were throwing a lot of money around. I ate at the Red Robin and they were pretty busy as was the Freddys across the street. Hy-Vee was packed and then some. I dropped a dingy off in front of Bath & Body Works and there was not a empty parking spot to be found so I parked up in Dicks Lot and walked down. As I was walking to Bath & Body the traffic was thick and a horse drawn carriage went by taking people for a Christmas ride. I get to Bath & Body and the place is packed. Its their annual candle day I quickly find out. They are selling 24 dollar candles for 8 dollars and there are hundreds of women in line. Were leaving I told the person I was with and she agreed that it was insane. We then went into a couple more stores and they were all doing a pretty good business. The whole shopping center was packed. I know I left there with my wallet a couple of hundred lighter and I bet a many of those people spent more then that.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
omaha79 wrote:With Charming Charlies slated to close, this leaves another huge hole in Shadow Lake Towne Center.

Maybe folks just didn't like Charming Charlies. I can't say if I like Charming Charlies or I don't since I have never had the misfortune of a dingy dragging me into one yet! I can say as a fact that Shadow Lake is nowhere close to a death spiral. I was just there Saturday and business was booming. It looked like people were throwing a lot of money around. I ate at the Red Robin and they were pretty busy as was the Freddys across the street. Hy-Vee was packed and then some. I dropped a dingy off in front of Bath & Body Works and there was not a empty parking spot to be found so I parked up in Dicks Lot and walked down. As I was walking to Bath & Body the traffic was thick and a horse drawn carriage went by taking people for a Christmas ride. I get to Bath & Body and the place is packed. Its their annual candle day I quickly find out. They are selling 24 dollar candles for 8 dollars and there are hundreds of women in line. Were leaving I told the person I was with and she agreed that it was insane. We then went into a couple more stores and they were all doing a pretty good business. The whole shopping center was packed. I know I left there with my wallet a couple of hundred lighter and I bet a many of those people spent more then that.
Keep telling yourself that...as more and more bays end up empty.

By my estimate, 25% of the bays sit empty. Gordmans, Wheatfields, Charming Charlies, Office Max, 40% of the center aisle, other bays and lots have never been filled at all. It's not a good situation, but keep telling yourself that everything is just fine.

It's not.

They also haven't filled a significant empty bay since Michael's and Carhart opened a couple of years ago. Yet, more stores keep closing. What's next? I predict either Best Buy or JC Penneys.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:

This would be because it is the holiday season. Anyone who works in retail can tell you that stores are more busy than they'll be any other time of the year- by a long run.

Shadow Lake is poorly designed as are many suburban retail developments and will honestly keep losing out to better shopping malls (Village Pointe, Westroads) and to internet sales. Hyvee and the restaurants will be perfectly fine, and I'm not too familiar with the stores there but unless there are multiple that have a huge draw for people the mall will continue to lose.
#gohawks
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

In the case of CC isn't the chain going into Bankruptcy?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

nebugeater wrote:

They are but not closing all of their stores. The one at L Street Marketplace and at Village Pointe (along with one in Lincoln) are staying open.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

They are but not closing all of their stores. The one at L Street Marketplace and at Village Pointe (along with one in Lincoln) are staying open.

Greg
Thanks

I thought I had heard they were all closing but I guess not and I guess it wasn't something I bothered to go look up.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Did I hear that Shadow Lake is for sale?
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

anyone have a synopsis of the OWH article from today?

"New owner seeks brighter future for Papillion's struggling Shadow Lake shopping center"
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

My synopsis: shadow lake has a lot of vacancies, much more than it should. This new company who has helped struggling malls elsewhere by adding more lifestyle features (gym instead of shopping) and converting indoor malls into outdoor malls (not relevant here) purchased shadow lake, but they haven't announced anything yet. I would expect more substantial news in the coming months, though I can't imagine a big facelift for shadow lake given how young it is.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

omaha79 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:04 pm anyone have a synopsis of the OWH article from today?

"New owner seeks brighter future for Papillion's struggling Shadow Lake shopping center"
Here is an unrestricted article from Morningsky concerning the sale of Shadow Lake.

https://morningsky.com/omaha/posts/near ... -new-owner
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

After seeing the current owners cut and run by selling out to this new company..........I must concede to all the nay sayers in this thread that I was wrong and they were right about this Shopping Center. This is going to get ugly no doubt.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

It will be tough. It will take some serious creativity to pull out of this.

I would honestly start by maybe bulldozing at least 1/4 if not 1/2 of the center ring (probably the side opposite of Nebraska brewing. Subsidize the existing businesses on that side to move to the other side to open things up more. I'm not for a sea of parking lots, but the center ring of Shadow Lake immediately suffered from an "out of sight, out of mind" issue. The development was dominated by an outer ring of big box retailers like JCP, Best Buy, Bed Bath, Dicks, Hy-Vee, and an orbital ring of restaurants. This stifled any flow of traffic to the inner ring. Yes, this opened during the recession and the subsequent demise of retail, but even in a solid retail environment, this would have always been an issue with this poorly thought out set up.

Also, you can go to JCP or Best Buy and not even realize there are retailers down the center aisle. Unlike Village Point, which has a natural flow and openness to the center aisle with some of their top retailers in that center aisle, Shadow Lake was built outside in with the top retailers on the outside and everything else in the middle as an afterthought.

Bulldozing the South side of the center aisle (or somehow reconfiguring it) would allow you to see what's there. They will also have to be aggressive with lease terms to try to entice niche retailers to decide that they can make a go of it.

Use that newly opened space for a couple of upscale freestanding restaurants. Things that aren't burger joints or sports bars (i.e. things Sarpy County doesn't have a plethora of already). A nice steak house would work. A decent seafood joint. An Italian restaurant.

The big box stores were also built too small compared to their Westroads and Village Point counterparts. I can't tell you the frustration I'd have when the Shadow Lake store of Best Buy or Dicks wouldn't have something I'd want and they'd tell me to go to Westroads or Oak View. That defeated the purpose of having a development in Sarpy. I don't know if this issue is fixable but you could try by lowering rent and consolidating the bays to allow decent versions of retailers to exist here.

It's mostly a management and configuration here, IMO.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

I like what I'm hearing from the business plan. It's solid, but it remains to be seen if they can pull it off. I agree that the future of retail is smaller boutiques, service oriented places like salons, bars, and restaurants, and overall just places that sell products you cannot buy on Amazon or Wal-Mart's websites.

I think they will have to subdivide the bigger box bays. I also think they need to solve the parking problem down the center aisle. If that means tearing down one of the 4 stips, then so be it.

There may still be a chance of success here, but they need to show way more creativity than they've shown in the past. I'm thinking of a dvelopment like Countryside Village. It was declared dead about 10 years ago and has rebounded nicely. The developers can't continue to treat Shadow Lake as just a mall. It really needs to be the "lifestyle center" that they advertised it as.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I had no idea Shadow Lake was struggling. It's sure a nice shopping area. But, in their boredom with the same ole' old shopping areas, and the need to design and construct something new, they probably build too many new shopping centers everywhere, especially in an age w/ that threat from internet sales. Is West Farm even wise to build? I dont know... I think they're gonna have to figure out this "internet sales stuff", before too much havoc happens across the landscape. There's already new talk about possible new laws restricting Amazon.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Cermak
Parks & Recreation

Post by Cermak »

I’ve wondered if we even need West farms. I’m
Thinking maybe it will get built out real slowly and won’t move along as quickly as AK Village did.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

It's off topic, but I've wondered about West Farms as well. It seems like every time one of these new developments is built, it takes away from something else existing. Village Pointe started the death spiral of Oak View to an extent, etc.