Lots of suburban office construction activity

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

eomaha
County Board

Lots of suburban office construction activity

Post by eomaha »

There's ALOT of small scale office stuff going on right now... north of auto row at Westroads, west of Upstream in Legacy, 12809 West Dodge expansion, Home Instead Senior Care at 132nd and Dodge (haven't seen any renderings... looks like it could be somewhat large), along with 2 other buildings in the Commercial Federal Business Park... and I see a trailer has just been plopped down east of the new glass/brick Millienium Plaza at 156th and Dodge. It would be nice if some of these suburban developers would speculate a little more and build a little larger/taller (ala One Pacific Place at least)... rather than seemingly building a new one or two story structure as they receive each new tenant.
edsas
Human Relations

Re: Lots of suburban office construction activity

Post by edsas »

jhuston wrote:It would be nice if some of these suburban developers would speculate a little more and build a little larger/taller (ala One Pacific Place at least)... rather than seemingly building a new one or two story structure as they receive each new tenant.
Indeed. It would be great if Omaha one day has a small west-side skyline to greet people as they enter the city from the west.
sokkerdewd
Home Owners Association

Post by sokkerdewd »

I'm surprised we don't have more mid-rises out West. Look at South KC through Overland Park/Olathe... We're almost half the size, but have nowhere near half the buildings.
sokkerdewd
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Someone posted office space numbers for major midwestern metros... and KC seemed to rival even much larger metros like Minneapolis and Detroit. I think Omaha is somewhat unique in it's distribution of retail/office/residential. You'll drive mile after mile and see nothing but residential and strip malls in many metros (Phoenix is horrible)... whether you like suburban business parks or not... Omaha has a smattering of them buffering residential areas everywhere. I think this may be a contributing factor to Omaha 'scoring' well on a sprawl index which was published some time in the last year.
Last edited by eomaha on Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Exactly, Jeff. Omaha may lack height in it's burbs, but as far as planning goes, I think it is one of the more smartly designed cities in the country.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Some more info on what's going on at the Commercial Federal Business Park at 132nd and West Dodge... I now understand that all the activity here is in fact predominantly for the Commercial Federal headquarters. 97,000 square feet, 3 stories... I assume it will still resemble the rendering I've had for a while now...

Home Instead Senior Care will only occupy California Place...

The 3rd building... One California... 70,000 sq ft, 4 stories.

One of the Ted Turner's Montana Grill's will also be built nearby.

It will be nice to see this area filled in, if only with the usual west Omaha low rises. Although a couple of these are fairly large buildings.