Tanners Bar & Grill

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

Tanners Bar & Grill

Post by nebugeater »

Drove past the "strip mall" development at 192nd & Q tonight. There has been a bunch of work going on in the empty SE corner of this building. There were signs up on two sides of the building that I noticed for the first time. Kind of a quik look but I am sure it said Tanners Bar & Grill.

Never been to their other Omaha location. What is it like?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
blueblood
Home Owners Association

Post by blueblood »

Kind of like a Clancy's.
stillafarmgirl
New to the Neighborhood

Post by stillafarmgirl »

I would agree - similar to Clancy's.  Good bar food, lots of TV's for watching games, and good specials.  It'll be nice to have another alternative to Two Fine Irishmen in the area - don't get me wrong, I really like Two Fine, it'll just be nice to have one more option!!
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Tanner's is the epitome of the cookie-cutter, Midwest sports bar. There is a bar, some casual seating, a bunch of flat screens, the ever annoying Golden Tee, dart boards, nachos, burgers and pizza, and average-looking waitresses.  :)

Ok, that was mean, but really, it is the same place you can find at any other strip mall or corner throughout all of Omaha. If you're just looking to have a few beers, eat some fried food and watch a game or two, then you're in luck.
Slowmaha
New to the Neighborhood

Re: Tanners Bar & Grill

Post by Slowmaha »

Yup.. Extremely cookie cutter.. People must love it though, a new one just opened by Big Freds off Pacific..
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

As opposed to what? All sports bars follow a theme. They are all cookies cut from the same cloth. The new Tanners by Big Fred's is a pleasant place with decent bar food.
Slowmaha
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Slowmaha »

Nothing is WRONG with it.. it's just like I/we said, cookie cutter.. very average, nothing special, no character. Though I'm sure you can get a cold beer and a burger and watch some TV. I admit it seems to be working, they are popping up all over the place.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Is Tanners local or a national chain? I agree it is very basic but as long as the beer is cold and they know how to make Burgers and Nachos and have enough TVs no sports bar patron cares.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

guitarguy wrote:Is Tanners local or a national chain? I agree it is very basic but as long as the beer is cold and they know how to make Burgers and Nachos and have enough TVs no sports bar patron cares.
I have never been there but I looked it up and it is a chain. They have several locations throughout the midwest (kanas, missouri, nebraska, wisconsin)
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Huh I always assumed it was local.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

It's been a local place in KC for years. In the last 10 plus years it's been branching out. Initially markets around KC, and I know they went into Wisconsin.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

14 total locations in Mo (4), KS (5), NE (4), and WI (1) per their web site.

1985 first location in Lenexa

http://www.tannersbarandgrill.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Tanners has opened a new location. They took over the Arena Sports bar on N 90th.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

I have been several times each to the Maple Street and the 192 & Q locations. There is absolutely nothing special about them at all. I am very surprised they are a regional chain. You would think they would have come up with some kind of gimmick atmosphere-wise or something to improve their generic bar food menu if you are up to 14 locations.

DJ's Dugout absolutely blows them out of the water, for food and atmosphere.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Joe_Sovereign wrote:I have been several times each to the Maple Street and the 192 & Q locations. There is absolutely nothing special about them at all. I am very surprised they are a regional chain. You would think they would have come up with some kind of gimmick atmosphere-wise or something to improve their generic bar food menu if you are up to 14 locations.

DJ's Dugout absolutely blows them out of the water, for food and atmosphere.

Agree at least 100%. After DJ's opened on Q by Hyvee I have not even been back to Tanners. That being said, their parking on Q is always pretty full.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I think the food is so much better at Tanners. Always thought the food at DJ's was below average Omaha bar food. My top 3 are:

Barrett's
Tanners
Clancys

Greg
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Greg S wrote:I think the food is so much better at Tanners. Always thought the food at DJ's was below average Omaha bar food. My top 3 are:

Barrett's
Tanners
Clancys

Greg
We like the burgers at the DJs on 114th better than at the Tanners on 119.
WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association

Post by WBR_Tom »

Greg S wrote:I think the food is so much better at Tanners. Always thought the food at DJ's was below average Omaha bar food. My top 3 are:

Barrett's
Tanners
Clancys

Greg
I'd agree -- Tanners' food is way above DJ's in my book. The burgers are good, I like that you have the option of tater tots or fries because I'm weird and sometimes tots just sound so good, their ranch is oddly delicious (I think it's scratch made, but I could be wrong), and the buffaloed & charred wings are my favorite. DJ's is a great place to get a beer and watch a game -- they did such an awesome job remodeling the old Clancy's on 114th -- but their food has consistently been underwhelming to me. I dunno. Food is so subjective, and obviously a ton of people disagree with my assessment given DJ's growth around the metro. That's great!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I Haven't eaten at a Tanner's in quite awhile. I'll have to revisit that place..

Recently, I had a burger at the DJ's in AK Village and it was pretty good. The wings at the 114th/Dodge DJ's have always been solid..

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Oscar's in comparison.. That place is the bomb! :thumb:...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
yellowcolumbia
Home Owners Association

Post by yellowcolumbia »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: I'm surprised no one has mentioned Oscar's in comparison.. That place is the bomb! :thumb:...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I was thinking the same thing!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

yellowcolumbia wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote: I'm surprised no one has mentioned Oscar's in comparison.. That place is the bomb! :thumb:...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Great minds think alike :thumb: .. Hail Oscar's!...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
yellowcolumbia wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Oscars were good back in the day, but now they are not even in my top 3. They got cheap or lazy or something.

My top 3 in no particular order... Salty Dog, Addy's, Rays. All three absolutely blow the most recent two sets of Oscars wings out of the water. Oscars wasn't even close. I heard they got better, but I haven't been back.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
yellowcolumbia wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Oscars were good back in the day, but now they are not even in my top 3. They got cheap or lazy or something.

My top 3 in no particular order... Salty Dog, Addy's, Rays. All three absolutely blow the most recent two sets of Oscars wings out of the water. Oscars wasn't even close. I heard they got better, but I haven't been back.
Really? I was there about a month ago and got their char wings.. 2nd time I've had 'em. I thought they were awesome!...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Brad wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
yellowcolumbia wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Really? I was there about a month ago and got their char wings.. 2nd time I've had 'em. I thought they were awesome!...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Good to hear, like I said, I hadn't gone back after the two bad sets, but I heard the got better.
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

Since these are "Sports" bars I put extra value on being able to watch and see a game. I have Twin Peaks on as the best and Tanner's as the worst.

Twin Peaks
Atmosphere/TV’s: A+
Food: B+
Drinks: B+
Price: B
Overall: A

Brewsky’s
Atmosphere/TV’s: A
Food: B
Drinks: B
Price: C-
Overall: A-

DJ’s
Atmosphere/TV’s: A
Food: C
Drinks: B-
Price: C
Overall: B

Addy’s
Atmosphere/TV’s: D
Drinks: B
Price: B
Overall: C+

Tanner’s
Atmosphere/TV’s: D
Drinks: D
Price: D
Overall: C-
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

I like Tanner's. I wouldn't drive across town for it, but I'd say their food is on par with DJ's. Sometimes I prefer its more calm atmosphere. I can at least get a decent beer at Tanner's. At DJ's, I'm just happy if they have Lucky Bucket on tap. DJ's beer selection is kind of an embarrassment considering I think they are Omaha's premier sports bar.

The IceHouse is my favorite sports bar in town as I think it's the most well rounded establishment. They rate high in food and TVs and have a very good beer selection. I love their pizza. I just don't get there all that often since it's out of the way for me.

I used to like Brewsky's more than I do now. They changed some items on their menu that I used to like a lot. But I still like their food, and they have good beers on tap. I usually get poor service here though.

However, if I'm going to a sports bar for a specific game, I always pick DJ's. They have the best TV selection. I can watch other games in addition to the main game without getting distracted. I love that they put college hockey on, even if it's not UNO.
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

I was at the Tanner's at 192nd & Q last night and overheard the waitress talking to the table next to us and said that location would be closing soon and the employees were being redistributed to the other Tanner's locations. The guy at the table asked when and she said she thought it was about 2 months out. So, end of September?

Also, maybe move this thread to "Dining/Culture/Entertainment"?
cafereef
Home Owners Association

Post by cafereef »

this doesnt surprise me much, when I lived over there it was busy at times but not consistent, there is also the tanners on center now, so it doesnt seem to out of line.
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

Looks like they've closed. I was in that plaza yesterday and noticed their parking area was devoid of cars, so drove by and there's a sign in the window that says "Thanks for the Memories - Join us at our 176th & Center Location."
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

ChadJK wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:40 am Looks like they've closed. I was in that plaza yesterday and noticed their parking area was devoid of cars, so drove by and there's a sign in the window that says "Thanks for the Memories - Join us at our 176th & Center Location."
I believe their last day was Aug 10.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

ChadJK wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:59 am Also, maybe move this thread to "Dining/Culture/Entertainment"?
Better late than never..

Done :thumb:

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

The one on N. 90th was very short lived. That building is a funeral home now.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

bbinks wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:22 pm The one on N. 90th was very short lived. That building is a funeral home now.
The one that was in the old Arena Bar building?
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Uffda wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:52 am
bbinks wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:22 pm The one on N. 90th was very short lived. That building is a funeral home now.
The one that was in the old Arena Bar building?
Yes