Blair High Road progress

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

eomaha
County Board

Blair High Road progress

Post by eomaha »

Omaha World Herald wrote: Start of Blair High Road work to be done by summer

The first leg of a project to widen a key road between Omaha and Blair is on track to be finished this spring or early summer.

Work on Nebraska Highway 133, also known as Blair High Road, started in 2003.

The road is being widened from two lanes to four.

The first section runs between Interstate 680 and Pawnee Road and is open to four lanes of traffic except for the stretch between State Street and Rainwood Road. That last stretch will be completed in the next four to five months, according to the State Roads Department.

Hawkins Construction of Omaha is the contractor on the $12.9 million project.

The state hopes to widen the rest of Blair High Road all the way to Blair in two phases by 2011.

The state says the widening is needed because of increased traffic.

For example, a section of the road near Nebraska Highway 36 carried an average of 12,755 vehicles per day in 2002, up from 7,830 per day in 1992.

The road is popular with drivers who commute between Omaha and Blair because it provides a connection to Interstate 680.

Al Schoemaker, Blair's public works director, said the road project is important to his city because it will help residential and businesses development.

The drive between Blair and I-680 now takes 20 to 25 minutes. The new road will make the drive easier and safer, he said.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Blair High Road progress

Post by Coyote »

And they just had their ribbon cutting yesterday, the project is finally done.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

I don't really recall, but what was the reason for this project taking 12 years to widen a highway?
#gohawks
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Coyote wrote:And they just had their ribbon cutting yesterday, the project is finally done.
I ran into a friend last night who lives in Blair -- I said "it's done" He replied 'they cut the ribbon but it isn't done yet'
:shock:
Last edited by Uffda on Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EricHaley
Human Relations

Post by EricHaley »

Uffda wrote:
Coyote wrote:And they just had their ribbon cutting yesterday, the project is finally done.
I ran into a friend last night who lives in Blair -- I said "it's done" He replied 'they but the ribbon but it isn't done yet'
:shock:
Same thing when they “but the ribbon” a few years back on the reconstruction of I-80 between Omaha and Lincoln. It was several weeks before the new lanes were open to traffic…
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The first phase of the project started in 2003 just west of Interstate 680, Zelensky said. The second phase started in 2012 and continued the highway widening north into Washington County. The last phase started in January 2015 and was all in Washington County north to U.S. Highway 30. It’s scheduled to open to traffic Monday night.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

It is so nice now, and such a pretty drive, imo. It's called "high road" for a reason. That land feels so high through there. Blair is such a cute, tidy town anymore. I'm glad the Omaha connection is quicker.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.