Nebraska Multisports Complex

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Professor Woland
Library Board

Re: Omaha Multisports Complex

Post by Professor Woland »

bigredmed wrote:Good luck to them. Glad its not in Omaha after recognizing how much money they wanted us to cough up.

This and the Crossroads project have me wondering.

If developers want our money, then why not offer stock like an IPO in the project? If I can drop a sum into it and 10 years from now, that sum is 200% bigger, great. They have their money and I have a reward for being forward thinking and picking a winner.

Taking tax money for these sort of things is basically armed robbery using the government as your hired thugs. They have heavily armed police that will do bad things to you if you don't pay the sum, and 10 years from now, the developers have gotten rich and I will be about to be stuck up for a new venture.
You nailed it. I don't have a problem with the city paying for road enhancements near a development, I don't even have a problem with TIF (given that even though I hate the government and don't think it is either good or necessary, I realize it might well be inevitable), but these sorts of "public private" partnerships reek of Mercantilism.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Multisport complex work in La Vista set to begin this fall
Cody Winchester: World-Herald staff writer wrote:Construction is set to begin this fall, with an opening scheduled for summer 2017.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

They expect a loss the first year but to become the second biggest destination after the zoo. That'll be a heck of a boost your our tourism sector. Maybe this can evolve into a mini OTC.
15-17, 26, 32
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Omaha is far behind in youth sports facilities. With this coming, along with new ice at UNO and Grover St. we are making up some ground. Lots of dollars flowing into other cities, will be nice to gain some back.

Greg
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

This group has continuously failed with timelines set, I'll believe it when I see construction start. This is a project that should have been built decades ago for a city the size of Omaha.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Not that it means much... But they were harvesting sod today.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

How do these things make money? Do you pay a monthly membership like a gym?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I know a lot of these complexes have deals with the hotels. So if your team is from out of town and playing in a tournament there, part of your entry requires you to book a certain number of rooms at a specific hotel.

The teams/tournaments that play there have to pay a fee as well. Plus concessions. They also sell sponsorships and naming rights. Scheels just opened up a new store at a massive lifestyle center in KC. They paid $625,000 for 5 years of naming rights at a soccer complex in Overland Park.

Greg
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

daveoma wrote:How do these things make money? Do you pay a monthly membership like a gym?
Memberships, teams rent it out for practice, you have to pay to rent it out for Swimming meets.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Trenton went into detail on this it sounds like it's goi g to be a first class facility. For example a showcase for the pool... Iamjacob should scribe it for us.
15-17, 26, 32
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

MTO wrote:Trenton went into detail on this it sounds like it's goi g to be a first class facility. For example a showcase for the pool... Iamjacob should scribe it for us.
What does a showcase for the pool mean?
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

It's some fancy pool from Milan, it will be their facility where they show it off to potential buyers. From what I gathered.
15-17, 26, 32
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

If I remember what he said... In normal pools the outside lanes are the worst places to be in competitive races, but in their pools this would not be a factor....
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Coyote wrote:If I remember what he said... In normal pools the outside lanes are the worst places to be in competitive races, but in their pools this would not be a factor....
So yeah pools with sophisticated gutter systems create less waves and make outside lanes faster, and in turn make the pool more desirable of a location.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Coyote wrote:Multisport complex work in La Vista set to begin this fall
Cody Winchester: World-Herald staff writer wrote:Construction is set to begin this fall, with an opening scheduled for summer 2017.
No sign of construction starting on this project.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

From the article in today's paper it sound like there's a lot of work to do before construction. But at least they still plan on opening in 2017.
15-17, 26, 32
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I love how they have about 200 soccer fields.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

That's a beast of an indoor turf area.
15-17, 26, 32
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I love that this is being built. I think this is a big win for the larger community.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

This project does look cool. As a tennis fan I think I am qualified to question the demand in this area for 10 more indoor tennis courts. I think a lot of tennis places have had a real hard time making a profit.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Places like this tend to create demand b
15-17, 26, 32
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I wonder if this will count as the new pool that LaVista has been trying to get built for years.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

jessep28 wrote:I wonder if this will count as the new pool that LaVista has been trying to get built for years.
That's what it sounded like in the article. Also, people from LaVista will get some kind of discount.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Linkin5 wrote:
Coyote wrote:Multisport complex work in La Vista set to begin this fall
No sign of construction starting on this project.
Not construction but at least with today's article we heard some good news that the land has been purchased this past week.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Between this and Frildhouse USA a total of 3 million people will attend these facilities per year. Even if a measly 10% were from out if town that's a heck of a shot into the economy.
15-17, 26, 32
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

MTO wrote:Between this and Frildhouse USA a total of 3 million people will attend these facilities per year. Even if a measly 10% were from out if town that's a heck of a shot into the economy.
I was just thinking that we don't have a good place with a ton of basketball courts, b/c the LaVista complex is geared more towards swimming, soccer and tennis. But with both of these projects coming on board, it will be nice.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

We'll be a regional sports Meca, so to speak.
15-17, 26, 32
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

These are much needed. Amazing how far behind Omaha has been on facilities for youth sports. Glad we are catching up. So much money there.

Greg
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Omaha could do really well for both of these. Being the largest city in IA or NE, we could easily capitalize on it between the hotel rooms, restaurant tax, and just general spending of money in the city.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

It will help Omaha. For hotels, I'd be willing to bet when you come in to town you will be required to stay at hotels that are sponsoring these complexes. I'm sure the ones at Southport will be all over this.

Greg
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Greg S wrote:It will help Omaha. For hotels, I'd be willing to bet when you come in to town you will be required to stay at hotels that are sponsoring these complexes. I'm sure the ones at Southport will be all over this.

Greg
How can they do that in a free country??
15-17, 26, 32
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

MTO wrote:
Greg S wrote:It will help Omaha. For hotels, I'd be willing to bet when you come in to town you will be required to stay at hotels that are sponsoring these complexes. I'm sure the ones at Southport will be all over this.

Greg
They can't. You can stay anywhere, but the sponsor hotels may have special rates setup for attendees.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:They can't. You can stay anywhere, but the sponsor hotels may have special rates setup for attendees.
Yeah, I would assume its no different than when a wedding gets a group rate, or a convention gets a group rate. Heck, even the Artists at Artsarben get a group rate at one of the hotels in Aksarben.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
MTO wrote:

Greg
They can't. You can stay anywhere, but the sponsor hotels may have special rates setup for attendees.

I know for the team events (assuming you do that with individuals as well) part of the registration for the sporting events includes reserving a set amount of rooms at the sponsoring hotels (who pay for part of the complex). If your team does not reserve and stay at the hotels you don't participate.

Greg
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Trenton mentioned this should kick off this spring.
15-17, 26, 32
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

MTO wrote:Trenton mentioned this should kick off this spring.
So this would be the first setback for the La Vista location, original timeline was this fall. I have very little confidence this actually starts this spring.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I feel you but there's already been investment in the area including a hotel...
15-17, 26, 32
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Linkin5 wrote:So this would be the first setback for the La Vista location, original timeline was this fall. I have very little confidence this actually starts this spring.
I don't know if it's really a setback. I think they were just too aggressive with the timeline since not everything was in place.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

There are some pretty big names locally behind this project. I think it gets done.

Greg