Nebraska Multisports Complex

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Nebraska Multisports Complex

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120622/S ... ts-complex
Organizers and city officials confirmed during a Friday press conference at the CenturyLink Center that the 50-meter pool would be staying in Omaha. It will be taken apart and placed in storage in Omaha by Myrtha Pools USA, which manufactured the pools for both the 2008 and '12 U.S. Trials in Omaha.

The pool eventually will be reassembled at the planned sports complex. Besides the pool, the new complex will include tennis courts, a soccer field and an eight-lane running track.

The money for the pool -- $1 million -- has been raised by a group of community leaders spearheaded by Mike Cassling and Lisa Roskens. The group is looking at four potential sites for the sports complex, but as of now there is no time frame for starting the project.

The pool structure would include seating for 1,800 to 2,000 people. It will be reconfigured into a 10-lane pool.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Wow this is awesome and it is long over due in both Omaha and Lincoln.  Theres still a lot of questions about this though, is pool going to be indoor or outdoor?

If the pool is indoors you can pretty much guarantee Nebraska state swimming championships will be moving to Omaha, which is another big event Lincoln is going to lose.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I hope the pool is indoors, would be a good opportunity to start hosting high school national swim meets.  It will never happen, but it would be really cool to have maybe clay or grass tennis courts.  Sort of set them apart from most courts in the country.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

It will suprise me if this IS NOT indoors.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Mixed use sports complex. Sweet.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

How about a roller hockey rink too?  There used to be one in Tranquility back in the day where the Olympic sheet of ice is currently located.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Awesome...now in keeping with the DT master plan, the UP land north of Cuming would be ideal.   The Union Pacific Natatorium and and Tournament Complex?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

nebport5 wrote:Awesome...now in keeping with the DT master plan, the UP land north of Cuming would be ideal.   The Union Pacific Natatorium and and Tournament Complex?
I like it!
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

It looks like it will be indoors.

http://omaha.com/assets/images/OW7422622.JPG

They also said one possible location is on the former Chili Greens golf course at 67th Street and West Center Road.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120623/N ... 39981/1685
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Glad to see they didn't cut corners and put a warmup pool in there.  Hopefully it will double as a diving well with towers.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Linkin5 wrote:Glad to see they didn't cut corners and put a warmup pool in there.  Hopefully it will double as a diving well with towers.
This.
Bomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Bomaha »

iamjacobm wrote:
nebport5 wrote:Awesome...now in keeping with the DT master plan, the UP land north of Cuming would be ideal.   The Union Pacific Natatorium and and Tournament Complex?
I like it!
How about we shoot for both? We could easily stay one of the sports capitals of the country for decades. Go big or go home!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I am doubting it will be this nice, but it would be awesome if they modeled this after U of Tennessee's aquatic center:

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Plans to buy Swim Trials warm-up pool floating along nicely
From the World Herald:
http://www.omaha.com/article/20120807/N ... ong-nicely
Organizers have raised about two-thirds of the money needed to buy the warm-up pool used by Michael Phelps, Missy Franklin and other Olympians during this summer's U.S. Olympic Swim Trials.

University of Nebraska at Omaha land south of Center Street is still a potential site.

Once they've demonstrated how it will cash flow, they'll begin raising the estimated $13 million — depending on costs of the 20-acre site and other variables — to erect the complex. They hope to start construction in 2014.

The facility would house a 52-meter pool with two movable bulkheads, allowing the pool to be configured at 50 meters, 25 meters or 25 yards.

Plans call for possible seating for 1,800 to 2,000 in the pool facility. That would allow Omaha to go after events on the scale of a USA Swimming Grand Prix, along with regional and national meets.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Remebered reading this story about a month ago and with the news that the Trials are comming to Omaha again for 2016 it gout me thinking about it again.  Found this from March 29 and a follow up on June 23 that said about the same.

It sounds like from this story that we will know where the pool that was purchased after the 2012 trials will be located on May 21.    RFQ went out in Feb and were do in Apr 5.  Wounder how many proposals they ended up getting?

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130329/N ... 79849/1123

The Omaha Multi-Sport Complex organization hasn’t received any specifics on bids for the pool, project manager Travis Stensby said Thursday afternoon.

However, Mike Cassling, the board chairman for the organization, has said he’s heard about interest from landowners with property in Bellevue, La Vista, Gretna and Omaha.

Last month, organizers announced they were putting out a formal request from landowners interested in the facility. The venue, which would go on a site at least 10 acres in size, would be used for state and national competitions in swimming and tennis.

Along with the Olympic-size pool would be 18 tennis courts, a smaller warm-up pool, seating for 2,000 swimming spectators and 6,500 tennis spectators, weight-training rooms, pro shops and other amenities.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120623/NEWS/306239981
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

A complex like this could really help in landing other Olympic Sports, or help the city to become a training ground for Olympic Athletes. It would be neat in the area just north of the Century Link Center.
No posts exist for this topic
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

MadMartin8 wrote:A complex like this could really help in landing other Olympic Sports, or help the city to become a training ground for Olympic Athletes. It would be neat in the area just north of the Century Link Center.
This would be a facility that most every city has comparable in size to Omaha, and actually quite a few smaller places.  If anything Omaha is finally catching up by having a quality indoor 50 meter facility (UNO has a 50 meter indoor but it is six lanes and has minimal deckspace).
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Linkin5 wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:A complex like this could really help in landing other Olympic Sports, or help the city to become a training ground for Olympic Athletes. It would be neat in the area just north of the Century Link Center.
This would be a facility that most every city has comparable in size to Omaha, and actually quite a few smaller places.  If anything Omaha is finally catching up by having a quality indoor 50 meter facility (UNO has a 50 meter indoor but it is six lanes and has minimal deckspace).

Rain meets parade :(
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Well tomorrow, Tuesday, Is May 21.  Anyone heard of any press conferance or anouncment for this potentail developmnet?

nebugeater wrote:Remebered reading this story about a month ago and with the news that the Trials are comming to Omaha again for 2016 it gout me thinking about it again.  Found this from March 29 and a follow up on June 23 that said about the same.

It sounds like from this story that we will know where the pool that was purchased after the 2012 trials will be located on May 21.    RFQ went out in Feb and were do in Apr 5.  Wounder how many proposals they ended up getting?

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130329/N ... 79849/1123

The Omaha Multi-Sport Complex organization hasn’t received any specifics on bids for the pool, project manager Travis Stensby said Thursday afternoon.

However, Mike Cassling, the board chairman for the organization, has said he’s heard about interest from landowners with property in Bellevue, La Vista, Gretna and Omaha.

Last month, organizers announced they were putting out a formal request from landowners interested in the facility. The venue, which would go on a site at least 10 acres in size, would be used for state and national competitions in swimming and tennis.

Along with the Olympic-size pool would be 18 tennis courts, a smaller warm-up pool, seating for 2,000 swimming spectators and 6,500 tennis spectators, weight-training rooms, pro shops and other amenities.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120623/NEWS/306239981
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Tranquility Park gets nod as site for new Omaha Multi-Sport Complex
Erin Golden: World-Herald staff writer wrote:One of the pools used in last summer's U.S. Olympic Swim Trials is headed for a new, permanent home: northwest Omaha's Tranquility Park.

The 50-meter pool will be a key piece of a larger sports complex that will also include tennis courts, weight-training facilities and seating for thousands of spectators
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Cool!  Great addition to the city.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

With all these great projects and events, 2015 and 2016 will be great years for the city.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Well if there is access to this from Fort, I hope that means that they will finally widen Fort to 4 lanes from the bridge just west of 120th to at least 132nd. This week traffic was backed up to almost 108th at 5:30 because of construction on Military and State had them closed
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Who's bright idea was it to close both Military and State street at the same time? Thats an awful lot of traffic for little Fort St to handle.. I experienced this the other day too..
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

guitarguy wrote:Who's bright idea was it to close both Military and State street at the same time? Thats an awful lot of traffic for little Fort St to handle.. I experienced this the other day too..
I think military is getting a major redoing from 126-144th. State street was closed to add Turing lanes into the new OPS middle school.  This should have been added a year ago
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

guitarguy wrote:Who's bright idea was it to close both Military and State street at the same time? Thats an awful lot of traffic for little Fort St to handle.. I experienced this the other day too..

Plus Blondo being closed at the same time.  Traffic was brutal.  

Greg
Linkin5
County Board

Re: Omaha Multisports Complex

Post by Linkin5 »

Omaha Multi-Sport Complex, aiming to draw 1.2 million visitors a year, now includes plans for 5 pools

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/omaha-m ... e399e.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
After months of meetings with local sports clubs, organizers expanded the project to include five pools: the indoor 50-meter pool, a warm-up pool and diving well, a therapy pool, a “learn-to-swim” pool and a second, outdoor 50-meter competition pool.

Tennis courts still are part of the plan, but now they’ll sit next to an expanded and improved soccer complex. Tranquility Park is already home to several soccer fields, but Multi-Sport Complex organizers want to overhaul them all into more durable artificial turf fields.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

We have been long overdue for something like this in Omaha. Should bring in a lot of visitors for competitions.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Another huge by product of having the national swim trials in Omaha. It all started with obtaining the 50m pool... Can't wait to see what eventually evolves at this location.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

According to the May article in the World Herald, they were hoping to break ground on the project this fall. Anyone heard anything about it lately?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I have not. Seems like it's been real quiet on that front lately.

Greg
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/plan-to ... 146e8.html
A proposal to build a multisport complex at Omaha's Tranquility Park has been nixed.

The private group that had planned the project asked the City of Omaha for $20 million, according to a press release from Mayor Jean Stothert.

Stothert said Monday that she couldn't agree to that and other requests from the Omaha Multisport Complex Board of Directors.

The release does not say what will become of the pool that is left over from Omaha hosting the 2012 U.S. Olympic Swim Trials.

"We worked hard to make this project a success at Tranquility Park," Stothert said in a statement. "In the end, it became cost-prohibitive."
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Well that's a kick in the nuts.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Wasn't there a second (backup) plan for that pool, or am I thinking of another project?
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Coyote wrote:Wasn't there a second (backup) plan for that pool, or am I thinking of another project?

I believe the first thought was they were going to put it in a complex that would have been right next to the UNO arena.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Linkin5 wrote:
Coyote wrote:Wasn't there a second (backup) plan for that pool, or am I thinking of another project?

I believe the first thought was they were going to put it in a complex that would have been right next to the UNO arena.
Does UNO have a swim team? If so , where do they practice?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I believe there was a Sarpy Co group that was looking at a proposal near Gretna. Don't know how far that got
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

The article indicated they have closed the door on any sites in Omaha. My money is on somewhere in Sarpy County. This project could fill hotel rooms on weekends.

Greg
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

WOWT wrote:According to the Mayor, the OMC Board has asked the City for a $20 million cash contribution for the project and other conditions including a 99-year lease.
Do the numbers seems funny? I honestly don't know, just what I "remember" reading in the paper...

Seems like a lot of projects around here have had a 20-30 year lease (Storm Chasers and CWS both went for 25 years), they want 99 years.
The also want $20 Million in CASH... Usually projects like this want the city to help build a little infrastructure, not chip in cash? Cash can disappear, Infrastructure could be used for a new project if this one fell apart.

I could be completely wrong, but it seems like if the numbers really did all add up, the city would be more supportive.

This reminds me of that "World Baseball Village" that had huge plans. All said and done it ended up being a small softball park in Bellevue and has now filed for bankruptcy.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I also thought it was weird that they were putting conditions on what the city could add out there as far as other sports stuff.

That being said, Omaha has really fell behind in this area. Kansas City has so many facilities that are used for out of town youth tournaments. They have some awesome soccer, baseball and now hockey facilities (including an outdoor rink the kids love).

Sioux Falls also has added some great ones for basketball and hockey.

Greg