Nebraska Multisports Complex

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Re: Nebraska Multisports Complex

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

So we went from breaking dirt soon to were hoping to raise more money this year. Did I get that right or did I miss something. This project is chuck full of obvious Fake News mixed in with a strong lack of Transparency. Looks to smucks like me like the patient went FUBAR but still had enough pulse (Donor money) to give them hope that they could save the patient with a pacemaker :shock:
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:So we went from breaking dirt soon to were hoping to raise more money this year. Did I get that right or did I miss something. This project is chuck full of obvious Fake News mixed in with a strong lack of Transparency. Looks to smucks like me like the patient went FUBAR but still had enough pulse (Donor money) to give them hope that they could save the patient with a pacemaker :shock:
Stothert may have been smart not to bite on this one.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

choke wrote:
GrandpaaSmucker wrote:So we went from breaking dirt soon to were hoping to raise more money this year. Did I get that right or did I miss something. This project is chuck full of obvious Fake News mixed in with a strong lack of Transparency. Looks to smucks like me like the patient went FUBAR but still had enough pulse (Donor money) to give them hope that they could save the patient with a pacemaker :shock:
Stothert may have been smart not to bite on this one.
This seems like one of the things that is cooked up by a group of rich people who bit off more than they can chew. Now they want to keep it, but want the taxpayers to carry the heavy weight. Of course, their names will still go on the building.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Fwiw, signs touting the complex have been taken down at 120th & Giles and bare plywood left in its place. Looks like these plans drowned.
WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association

Post by WBR_Tom »

almighty_tuna wrote:Fwiw, signs touting the complex have been taken down at 120th & Giles and bare plywood left in its place. Looks like these plans drowned.
The signs were blown off by the wind during one of our January storms. I drive by them every day and saw the sign blowing around in the field one afternoon, leaving just the plywood base, as you said.

But yeah, I'll be totally shocked if this thing actually happens at this point. I think it's a dead project.
OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaFan »

I think its dead in the water but who knows?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Doesn't look good but I think it eventually happens just because of who is behind the effort.

Omaha really has fallen behind in youth sports facilities. Even if this were built we are stil far behind.

Greg
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

You have to love real estate developers, Trenton is still boastful about this. He admits the fūtball fields will open soon but the natatorium will open after 2020. That alone is enough for me write it off..
15-17, 26, 32
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Well there seems to be grading going on this site again. Won’t hold my breath for anything considering the past but it may be a positive sign.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

If it wasn’t near 123rd Plaza or Southport Parkway it’s probably for the soccer fields.
15-17, 26, 32
WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association

Post by WBR_Tom »

The dirt work is definitely on the sports complex property -- there was heavy machinery moving dirt around most of last week. I'm certainly no construction expert but it looks to me like they were creating some sort of temporary dirt road down the hill from Giles to allow easier access for trucks to get down there?
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

On Friday there were dirt trucks going down into the property on 120th and Giles. I also noticed that the sign that said "Opening Fall 2018, Nebraska MULTISPORT complex" with a picture was no longer there.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

I drove by today about 4pm and a flatbed semi was pulling in there with a load of sewer pipe. :sly:
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Construction fence has been set up around perimeter, this may finally be getting built.
WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association

Post by WBR_Tom »

With the October deadline for collecting the state turn back tax approaching and this place nowhere near done (and nothing but dirt work having been started), WOWT ran a follow up story on it, with the developers giving some mixed signals on it's future.
"In a statement, Mike Cassling, the board’s chairman, said, “Instead of building it all at once, the project is more cost-feasible by building the complex in phases.”

Lukas Partners said the soccer fields will be put up first and will then generate revenue for the next phase, which is set to be the natatorium. The complex has knowingly had an October 2018 deadline to collect the state’s turnback tax, which would give the project up to 70 percent of sales tax from neighboring business Costco. However, the building needed to be operating by at least two years after Costco’s opening date, which falls in October.

“The NMSC board of directors are not concerned about the Oct. 2018 deadline. The board created a more prudent approach to building the complex,” Cassling said in a comment.
https://www.wowt.com/content/news/Nebra ... 11251.html
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Who will open first this place or Jimmys All American Burgers :?: :lafcry:
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

They purchased this pool because Omaha is severely lacking in indoor/outdoor 50 meter facilities. The soccer fields and tennis courts should not even have been included in this plan in the first place. At this point I am guessing we will see the fields and courts built but never see a pool, what a completely inept terrible organization running this.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Nebraska Multisport Complex hires former Creighton soccer coach, delays opening again

https://www.omaha.com/news/plus/nebrask ... a7212.html
Reece Ristau / World-Herald staff writer wrote:Cassling says the fields should be ready for use in spring 2020, and the field house will open that fall.

In March, the project’s board hired Craig Scriven as executive director and vice president to oversee the field-sport portion of the project.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

It's gonna be so neat when it's done. They'll open it eventually...
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
dave1215
Home Owners Association

Post by dave1215 »

It will end up just being a field. The entire water component, which was the original lead project, my guess is will not come to fruition. Wonder what will become of the Olympic pool they originally acquired?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

dave1215 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:49 pm It will end up just being a field. The entire water component, which was the original lead project, my guess is will not come to fruition. Wonder what will become of the Olympic pool they originally acquired?
Sounds like the pool is headed to Colorado:

https://www.ketv.com/article/could-the- ... s/37466772

Greg
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Off to Projects Never Built I guess?
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Garrett wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:03 pm Off to Projects Never Built I guess?
No, I have it on good authority this project isn't dead, actually close to starting.... HOWEVER, it sounds like may be they shifted focus, and probably for the better. The pool is cool, but I think they have bigger and better ideas that are more mainstream...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Brad wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:43 pm
No, I have it on good authority this project isn't dead, actually close to starting.... HOWEVER, it sounds like may be they shifted focus, and probably for the better. The pool is cool, but I think they have bigger and better ideas that are more mainstream...
Trenton and Jeff mentioned on Grow Omaha this past Saturday that they are going to have a different pool, but not part of phase 1. Also said they could have a ground breaking as early as next month.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Brad wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:26 pm
Brad wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:43 pm
Trenton and Jeff mentioned on Grow Omaha this past Saturday that they are going to have a different pool, but not part of phase 1. Also said they could have a ground breaking as early as next month.
Whoa that’s great news.
TDHawks
New to the Neighborhood

Post by TDHawks »

Are multiple indoor/outdoor tennis courts still in the works? I recall at one time them wanting to place an emphasis on it to draw the NCAA Championships here. At least that was the rumor.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Lucy: “Come on Charlie Brown, kick the football. Trust Me. I promise THIS TIME I won’t take it away and make you look like a fool.”
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

9 years on? I wasn't even in Omaha when this was announced. The WH article is long dead. Wowza
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Earthwork began about two weeks ago at this site, ESE of Securities America. It's a huge site. No signs, so I don't know if it's still a sprots complex or not.
WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association

Post by WBR_Tom »

damonhynes wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:25 am Earthwork began about two weeks ago at this site, ESE of Securities America. It's a huge site. No signs, so I don't know if it's still a sprots complex or not.
I noticed that and didn't even put two and two together that it might be the sports complex they're working on -- I keep thinking about it as being closer to Giles, forgetting that the site is so big it actually extends clear to the NE of there.

The earthwork is happening fast, whatever it is. They're out at 7am when I drive by to drop my son off at daycare, and they're still working at 5 when I drive by to pick him up; the site has already changed significantly just in two weeks.
MadJack
Home Owners Association

Post by MadJack »

WBR_Tom wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:27 pm
damonhynes wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:25 am Earthwork began about two weeks ago at this site, ESE of Securities America. It's a huge site. No signs, so I don't know if it's still a sprots complex or not.
I noticed that and didn't even put two and two together that it might be the sports complex they're working on -- I keep thinking about it as being closer to Giles, forgetting that the site is so big it actually extends clear to the NE of there.

The earthwork is happening fast, whatever it is. They're out at 7am when I drive by to drop my son off at daycare, and they're still working at 5 when I drive by to pick him up; the site has already changed significantly just in two weeks.
I can confirm that this is indeed the Nebraska Multisports Complex. It will be built in phases over several years. The fields will be installed before the aquatics facility.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

After tornado ravages baseball village in Bellevue, property revitalized into softball

The new management is focused on youth softball, filling a need in the metro area.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Developers revive effort to bring youth sports complex to La Vista

In 2016, ground was broken around 120th and Giles for a new sports complex. It never was built. But now developers are seeking 12 outdoor soccer fields in the same spot.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Nebraska MultiSport Complex - A Victory for Nebraska

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

https://www.nebraskamultisport.org/wp-c ... 22-002.pdf

Nebraska Scores Victory: MultiSport Complex to Open in La Vista

Nebraska and the City of La Vista score a victory: the Nebraska MultiSport Complex will open this fall with all-turf, lighted multipurpose fields. Phase 1 of the project includes 12 fields that will be home to several sports, which include soccer, baseball, fast-pitch softball, lacrosse, flag football and rugby.

In addition, the facility will host national and regional tournaments and competitions, which will attract out-of-state teams and their supporters to Nebraska. Several fields will be ready for play this fall. All 12 fields will be ready by spring 2023.

The Championship Field Complex with 12 multipurpose fields is forecast to have an annual economic impact of $9.9 million with $401,000 impacting local sales and lodging taxes each year. The complex is expected to draw more than 32,000 overnight visitors plus 39,200 local visitors. The facility also will create jobs during and post construction.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Compared to the origin plan, meh.
15-17, 26, 32
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

New youth sports complex in La Vista could be open this fall

More than a decade after the project began, the Nebraska MultiSport Complex in La Vista near Interstate 80 is close to hosting its first competitions.

In its first phase, the complex will have a dozen artificial turf fields with lighting that can be used for soccer, baseball, fast-pitch softball, lacrosse, rugby and flag football. Many will be ready by this fall, and all 12 will be available by spring 2023 for local, regional and national competitions.

“Phase I is currently focused on the development of field sports (and) to create a championship complex,” Craig Scriven, executive director and vice president for the Nebraska MultiSport Complex, said at a Friday press conference. “The Nebraska MultiSport board of directors listened intensely to the community and their needs. And their needs were for a regional sports facility.”

Organizers say they expect the complex to be a “world class facility.” It is being developed near Giles Road and Eastport Parkway, near PayPal and across Giles from Cabela’s.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Turf is down on at least one field, visible when driving on Harrison street.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

First phase of long-awaited La Vista Sports Complex to open in March
The project has been in the works for over a decade.

They gave it a test in the fall on four fields of promise, but considering all they’ve been through to get to this point, it finally seems true. “I think when they finished all 12 fields and put the light stands up, and you can start to see that from Giles and over on Harrison, it kind of was like, ‘Yeah, this thing is really happening’,” said La Vista Mayor Doug Kindig. After failing to find footing in Omaha in 2011, ground finally broke in La Vista in August of 2016 on an ambitious and mildly ambiguous $125 million project. It took seven more years for it to evolve into the Nebraska Multisports Complex.