West Maple Rd. area?

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

tas82
New to the Neighborhood

West Maple Rd. area?

Post by tas82 »

As a newcomer to Omaha, I've been asking pretty much everyone I meet or can strike up a conversation with about what the best part of town is to live in (where I can also find a decent apartment).  I know tastes and opinions vary, but the answers I get pretty much boil down to two options: either live in Midtown like Askarben Village or Midtown Crossing, or go with Southwest Omaha towards Oak View Mall, Legacy Crossing, Q Street, etc.  But after doing some exploring I stumbled upon what I guess is called the West Maple Rd. Corridor in NW Omaha (I am talking about the area generally between 132nd and 171st).  Looks like a nice area with some newer apt. complexes, lots of newer homes, decent retail base, etc.  I was just surprised no one mentioned this area as an attractive area of Omaha to live.  What are people's thoughts on this area?
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Nice area.  You have to drive everywhere.   You would have a bunch of chain restaurants, and arguably the best Chinese food in town in your area.  StVincent DePaul has a problem with economic divide, with lots of people who live in modest homes and lots of people who live in starter mansions all sending their kids to that school.

In short, its an OK neighborhood for what it is.   You will not find a lot of people on this board who have anything kind to say of any part of Omaha west of Dundee.   You are better off asking other people.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

It's suburbia. Not *bad* nor a whole lot of character, IMO, but it has the basics. Target, Home Depot, fast food, yadda yadda.
FrontlineOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by FrontlineOmaha »

I grew up in Northwest Omaha, actually at the time it was out in the country (168th and Maple).  I love that area because I am familiar with it.  3 years ago, I moved from 168th and Blondo to 99th and Pacific.  I didnt move that far, but I feel so much more a part of Omaha now.  If I was going to move again, I would strongly consider moving east, but you would have to push me pretty hard to move back west again.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I live north of 151st and Fort (Stone Park).  I had lived most of my life in Omaha (went to Lincoln for college) east of 72nd and my first house was only as far west as 78th.  That being said, I love it out here.  Lots of stuff is very handy.  Great to have Standing Bear Lake so close.  Shopping and restaraunts/bars are very close.  The joint community center/school/library that OPS, Omaha Parks and Recreation, and the Omaha Library built in Saddlebrook is awesome.

I'm catholic and I agree on the St Vincent De Paul deal.  We actually go to Elkhorn (or far west Omaha) to St. Pats.

Traffic flow in NW Omaha is a lot better than SW Omaha.

If you are looking out west I would highly recommend it.

Greg
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Greg S wrote:Traffic flow in NW Omaha is a lot better than SW Omaha.
Except for going north-south. Most of those streets are still 2 lanes and get pretty congested. Hopefully once 144th is done things will be better, but I know 156th and 168th are still terrible.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Yeah it will definitely improve once 144th opens.  I've had a lot of luck lately on 132nd.  120th would be OK but turn lane on to Maple screws it up.

Greg
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

156th is also being widened to 4 lanes.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

iamjacobm wrote:156th is also being widened to 4 lanes.
Eventually...

They said 168th would be widened between Pacific and Q five years ago. So I don't know how soon that will happen.
tas82
New to the Neighborhood

Post by tas82 »

Thanks for all the replies.  I am going to look around NW Omaha more this weekend and probably at a few apts up that way.  Seems like a nice area.  Since posting this I've met two people at my job who live up that way and love it.  One stressed the same type of environment as SW Omaha but more house for your money.

What is the best way to get downtown from that area?  Is it wise to get on 680 North and loop around to 75 south or to just take local roads?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

680 is not a bad way.  I also used to go on Sorensen Parkway and sometimes took Military to NW Radial.

Greg
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I recently switched schools and now teach in S. Florence or N Omaha depending on which way you look at it. Any way I take 680 to N 30th exit and was surprised at how many cars take that route to I am guessing downtown. Many head along the river route and others go through Florence.  Yesterday the morning traffic was backed up onto 680 to exit, which didnt feel totally safe