Canfield Plaza (84th & Center)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Blue Moon Fitness is opening a new Location at Canfield Plaza.

Also a new to Omaha business will announce an opening soon for the former Hollywood Video Space.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Hopefully they won't announce that Halloween Express will be occupying that bay until November.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

jessep28 wrote:Hopefully they won't announce that Halloween Express will be occupying that bay until November.
That wouldn't be a "New to Omaha" retailer...
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Some Trader Joes competitor I believe.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:Some Trader Joes competitor I believe.
If that is the case I wonder if it would be another location of the recently opened Natural Grocers in Lincoln.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:
If that is the case I wonder if it would be another location of the recently opened Natural Grocers in Lincoln.
You are correct.  "Akin's Natural Foods"
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Brad wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:
About time.  It's owned by Omaha-based Amcon.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Brad wrote:You are correct.  "Akin's Natural Foods"
I hear they have legitimate grapes.
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I think the new Blue Moon Fitness received their equipment yesterday.  There were 3 Semi Trucks in the parking lot unloading.
omadweller
Home Owners Association

Post by omadweller »

Cool, I'll have a location closer to me than the one I currently use.  $10 a month is all it costs me because I signed up during one of their promo's.  It's not too hard to work out when you can plug your earbuds in and watch Storage Wars or something while you run.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Brad wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:
Signs are now up.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

It looks like "Our Lady of the Strip Mall" or that ever that church was called in the Canfield Plaza (84th & Center) has moved and they are working on that space for something.

All jokes aside, I believe it was the Vineyard church?
nebugeater
City Council

Canfield's get a new owner

Post by nebugeater »

Canfield's get a new owner but still stays local and family owned.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20131209/M ... -fired-him

Canfield, 60, about to retire and move to Prescott, Ariz., will officially turn the keys over to the store's new owner, Scott Marble, 40, on Jan. 1.
Marble plans to bring the outdoor equipment and apparel store into the digital age with the addition of two dozen electronic kiosks and into the Jurassic age with the construction of an eight-foot in-store mountain  
The mountain will feature an interior cave so would-be campers can test headlights, flashlights and lanterns. Customers also will be able to try on and try out new running shoes or hiking boots on an indoor trail with a variegated surface —- smooth, rocky, rough — that will run the width of the store.

Renovations, which will begin next year, are expected to take 12 to 24 months. The store will be open during the remodeling and its open-door dog policy remains in effect. “Bring in your dog,” Marble urged a visitor.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Wow, that's awesome!
nebugeater
City Council

Re: Canfield Plaza (84th & Center)

Post by nebugeater »

I was in Canfield's today and there must be a LOT of things going on getting ready for the new owner. The volume of "stuff" in the store must have been about 1/2 of what it historically has been. The area the the East of the scouting stuff was completely cleared out and looking like it is ready for some work to begin. Overall it looked good and a lot less cluttered, the one thing I didn't like about going there. IT may have been this way a while as it has probably been 4 months since I had been in there.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Has the status on the Plaza and Canfield's changed? It sounded like the whole plaza is on the market right now.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Good time to sell? Trenton or Scott mentioned on GO a couple weeks ago that they just least the last bay and its 100 full!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

New retail activity revitalizes once-sleepy business corridor around 84th Street, West Center Road
South of Canfield Plaza, at Shopko-anchored Frederick Square, workers will break ground this spring on a 6,000-square-foot outlot building. Jimmy Johns will be a tenant, said Magid, whose firm handles leasing there.
“We see that there’s more demand,” he said, “and that’s why we are marketing the pad sites and building more retail there. It’s full-up.”
And to the southeast, at Westgate Plaza, home to craft store Mangelsen’s and Hancock Fabrics, the owners plan two new pad sites: one at 84th and Hascall and one at 84th and Grover. Randy Wieseler, president at First Management, which manages the plaza, said there is more parking than necessary there because the property used to be home to a grocery store.
On the southern end of Westgate, Wieseler is now marketing about 17,000 square feet of vacant retail space, after the property owner invested in improvements to the parking lot to bring it level with the retail entrances
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

This is good news for the corridor. There was a real chance that the entire area here could of gone really bad considering how poorly planned a lot of this area is and with an anchor like Cinema Center leaving. These smaller "infill" developments for the area really show a lot of strength for the older suburban areas of Omaha.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

More development at Canfield's... The Arby's is getting a huge makeover. I never thought of this location as bring a prime spot since it is really a Center St. east bound only ingress.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Coyote wrote:More development at Canfield's... The Arby's is getting a huge makeover. I never thought of this location as bring a prime spot since it is really a Center St. east bound only ingress.
Won't make their flimsy roast beef sandwhich taste any better.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Coyote wrote:More development at Canfield's... The Arby's is getting a huge makeover. I never thought of this location as bring a prime spot since it is really a Center St. east bound only ingress.
You'll be happy to know, you can get there from West-bound West Center Rd too. There's a left turn lane allowing access to the drive along the west side of Arby's.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

choke wrote:Won't make their flimsy roast beef sandwhich taste any better.
There are apparently a few Arby's, none around here, however, that have gone back to the real roast beef as opposed to the rubberish formed and pressed stuff.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Omababe wrote:
There are apparently a few Arby's, none around here, however, that have gone back to the real roast beef as opposed to the rubberish formed and pressed stuff.
I always wondered what a quality roast beef sandwich from Arby's must have been like. I don't think I was ever old enough or even born when Arby's used quality roast beef.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

GetUrban wrote:
You'll be happy to know, you can get there from West-bound West Center Rd too. There's a left turn lane allowing access to the drive along the west side of Arby's.
I like Canfield plaza because unlike a lot of "older" developments, it's actually connected to all the surrounding areas. Road to the neighborhood on the west, straight out of the back parking lot to the south, around the side by Taco Ball to the east an 84th.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

choke wrote:
Omababe wrote:
I always wondered what a quality roast beef sandwich from Arby's must have been like. I don't think I was ever old enough or even born when Arby's used quality roast beef.
There were two very similar sandwiches at one time, but I'm not sure they are the same now or even available as they were.

One was Lum's, and I'm not even sure if the Lum's in Bellevue (is it still open?) still has it on the menu. They did in about 1980, which, LOL, is the last time I remember eating there. :)

The other is another chain, Roy Rogers Roast Beef. Again, I have not eaten there for at least a couple of decades. I know they still have these sprinkled around the DeeCee area, but I don't get there that often. There is (was?) one right by Madison Square Garden (which is not a square, not a garden, and nowhere near Madison Square - discuss amongst yourselves!) but I'm not even sure that one is still there. I'll put on the do-it list to see if it's still there and if they still use real roast beef or if they too have gone to the rubbery processed loaf.
TheSeventhBrat
Home Owners Association

Post by TheSeventhBrat »

Omababe wrote:
choke wrote:
Omababe wrote:
There were two very similar sandwiches at one time, but I'm not sure they are the same now or even available as they were.

One was Lum's, and I'm not even sure if the Lum's in Bellevue (is it still open?) still has it on the menu. They did in about 1980, which, LOL, is the last time I remember eating there. :)

The other is another chain, Roy Rogers Roast Beef. Again, I have not eaten there for at least a couple of decades. I know they still have these sprinkled around the DeeCee area, but I don't get there that often. There is (was?) one right by Madison Square Garden (which is not a square, not a garden, and nowhere near Madison Square - discuss amongst yourselves!) but I'm not even sure that one is still there. I'll put on the do-it list to see if it's still there and if they still use real roast beef or if they too have gone to the rubbery processed loaf.

Lum's in Bellevue is still open. I drive by it twice a day.
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

The new owners of Canfield's look like they lasted about two years.

Closing the end of Jan

http://www.omaha.com/photos-canfield-s- ... 0a52d.html
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

nebraska wrote:http://www.omaha.com/money/canfield-s-s ... 1146a.html

Canfields is closing.
Beat my by "that much" searched and didn't see anything so posted and then see your post!
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

Yeah, it's weird. I just bought my carhart jacket from there earlier this year.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

nebraska wrote:Yeah, it's weird. I just bought my carhart jacket from there earlier this year.
I was just in there last nigh. I'm sorry to hear this!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

I always wondered how long they would last once Scheels and others broke into the market.
No posts exist for this topic
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

A lot of people in the internet comments were complaining about the prices.

Retailers will lose to the internet and big box stores every time unless they can provide value added services to make up for the price difference.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

Canfield's had a price matching policy with Amazon and I think other places on the internet too. I grew up shopping for outdoors gear at Canfield's and am sad this Westside mainstay is closing.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Received this today:
The End of an Era

Dear Mark,

This business, which LeRoy Canfield first opened in 1946, has grown to become Omaha’s largest locally owned rugged outdoor sporting goods store. Over the years the store has moved and changed. I was blessed to be an employee for 10 of those 71 years. And my association for the last 4 years as owner has been a wonderful and fulfilling experience.

Unfortunately, times change. The challenge of running a profitable business during uncertain economic times, warm winters, and competition from online shopping since I took ownership has caught up with us. While I have had an entire career in the outdoor industry that culminated with my ownership of this amazing legacy, it’s time to see what lies beyond.

But first we commence the biggest sale in our 71-year history. Our Going Out of Business Sale features our entire stock of clothing, outerwear, footwear, camping supplies, kayaks, Bicycles, travel accessories and sporting goods, with storewide reductions of 20% to 50% off. No exceptions. No exclusions.

We’ll be closed on Thursday to reduce prices and prepare.   Sale starts Friday, December 8th at 9 a.m. 

So whatever your outdoor needs, whether hiking, biking, camping or adventure, we’ve got it all and it’s all on sale. Shop early before the word is out to the general public and buy “the best stuff” at liquidation prices.

It’s been our great joy to have served our local community for so many years. Along with our wonderfully talented and loyal staff, we thank you for your friendship and support and look forward to helping you find the perfect outfit and gear in this final sale.

Sincerely,
Scott Marble
President

End of an Era Sale Begins Dec 8, 2017

Thank you for the wonderful 71 years. We will be closing Thursday, December 7th, 2017, to prepare for the Store Closing Sale.

We will be reopening Friday, December 8th, 2017 at 9:00 AM.

Thank you again for all your support over the years.

We look forward to seeing you in the weeks ahead!

Connect with us
Canfield's Sporting Goods
8457 W Center Road, 402-393-3363,
800-333-2263,
Omaha, NE 68124
OutoftheCanyon
Home Owners Association

Post by OutoftheCanyon »

This is a huge loss for the outdoor community in Omaha. They did have added value. Unbeknownst to some Scott was a huge sponsor of outdoor activities in Omaha, i.e. Goatz and Thor. When your vendors become your competitors it is almost impossible to survive.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

This closing is a loss both for Omaha as well as for the neighborhood.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Sad. I would always look here first. Bought my first Buck knife here in the late 70's. Still have it.
OverlookedFarm
Home Owners Association

Post by OverlookedFarm »

jessep28 wrote:A lot of people in the internet comments were complaining about the prices.

Retailers will lose to the internet and big box stores every time unless they can provide value added services to make up for the price difference.
True. And I support local whenever I can, but Canfields was waaaay overpriced on many items. People are willing to shop local to a point on a $50 item online, it's being asked $70 local. They were a non-starter for mil surplus, paintball, ammo and shoes.

I like the "new" store, bought some Kuhl and Sherpa there and hit their clearance racks. But I do miss the old army surplus stuff, Blaklader and actual shooting sports. They carried some unique items such as Hultafors axes.

From what I'm hearing, pulling of the Boy Scouts contract did them in.

Anybody remember Bahnsens? Kinda reminds me of that. Out of market specialty store with a lot of seasonality baked in.