Fidelity Investments Data Center (Project Photon)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 9038
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Fidelity Investments Data Center (Project Photon)

Postby iamjacobm » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:34 am

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120919/NEWS/709199889/1685#paving-the-road-for-project-photon-in-sarpy-county

Tuesday, the Sarpy County Board accepted the low bid of nearly $2.9 million from Vrana and Son Construction of Omaha to pave portions of 114th Street and Cornhusker Road near the site of a proposed 100,000-square-foot data center known as “Project Photon.”


County Administrator Mark Wayne has told the County Board that Project Photon involves a $225 million building and 25 initial jobs, but the company has long-range plans to build a headquarters on the 152-acre site, which could bring thousands of additional jobs.

Erik
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1204
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:55 am

Re: Project Photon

Postby Erik » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:21 pm

iamjacobm wrote:http://www.omaha.com/article/20120919/NEWS/709199889/1685#paving-the-road-for-project-photon-in-sarpy-county

Tuesday, the Sarpy County Board accepted the low bid of nearly $2.9 million from Vrana and Son Construction of Omaha to pave portions of 114th Street and Cornhusker Road near the site of a proposed 100,000-square-foot data center known as “Project Photon.”


County Administrator Mark Wayne has told the County Board that Project Photon involves a $225 million building and 25 initial jobs, but the company has long-range plans to build a headquarters on the 152-acre site, which could bring thousands of additional jobs.



They say that luring any type of headquarters is tough to do and often not a common way of job growth.  Most job growth is getting expanding businesses to expand in your area or to foster new businesses.  

I have to admit that I am quite pleased to see Omaha not only do well in fostering new businesses (still has room to grow) and getting businesses to expand here, but the late 1990s and 2000s trend of luring regional or corporate headquarters (obviously heavy in favor of regional versus corporate, too be expected)here seems to be growing into a more consistent role here.  I am beginning to be convinced that Omaha is not only marketable for this type of job growth, but appears to be in the picture of the business world.

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 9038
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: Project Photon

Postby iamjacobm » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:05 pm

Erik wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:http://www.omaha.com/article/20120919/NEWS/709199889/1685#paving-the-road-for-project-photon-in-sarpy-county

Tuesday, the Sarpy County Board accepted the low bid of nearly $2.9 million from Vrana and Son Construction of Omaha to pave portions of 114th Street and Cornhusker Road near the site of a proposed 100,000-square-foot data center known as “Project Photon.”


County Administrator Mark Wayne has told the County Board that Project Photon involves a $225 million building and 25 initial jobs, but the company has long-range plans to build a headquarters on the 152-acre site, which could bring thousands of additional jobs.



They say that luring any type of headquarters is tough to do and often not a common way of job growth.  Most job growth is getting expanding businesses to expand in your area or to foster new businesses.  

I have to admit that I am quite pleased to see Omaha not only do well in fostering new businesses (still has room to grow) and getting businesses to expand here, but the late 1990s and 2000s trend of luring regional or corporate headquarters (obviously heavy in favor of regional versus corporate, too be expected)here seems to be growing into a more consistent role here.  I am beginning to be convinced that Omaha is not only marketable for this type of job growth, but appears to be in the picture of the business world.


Although I think data centers can get a little overrated in their impact I am really glad to see another one in the metro, fantastic news.  And that talk of a HQ relocation which could bring "thousands" of jobs is immensely exciting.

I am curious as to know who's data center it is.

User avatar
Brad
City Council
Posts: 28673
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Postby Brad » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:43 am

Fidelity Investments


Papillion Mayor David Black's FB Page wrote:Papillion Announces "Projet Photon":
I along with Gov. Heineman & Fidelity Investments announce a new Data Center. Fidelity becomes the third company to build a data center in Papillion joining Cabela's and Co-Sentry.

"We believe the site we’ve chosen will provide us with the flexibility to build to our specifications in a location that will accommodate our needs now and in the future." said
Steve Scullen, President of Corporate Operations for Fidelity Investments.

Fidelity will start construction immediately and expects the new facility to be operational in 2014. The design and construction of the facility will be in accordance with Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) standards and will be designed to attain LEED certification.

“This project and the associated infrastructure are significant to Papillion's growth,” said Mayor David Black, Mayor of Papillion. “Not only are we adding a good business and industry, but the water and sewer extensions can help accelerate the natural growth in the western part of our jurisdiction.”
Image
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 9038
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Postby iamjacobm » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:02 am

Great news for Papillion.  I wonder if that talk of long range headquarters plan is more like Gallup where their operational HQ is here, but not their designated HQ.

NovakOmaha
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1641
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

Postby NovakOmaha » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:27 am

iamjacobm wrote:Great news for Papillion.  I wonder if that talk of long range headquarters plan is more like Gallup where their operational HQ is here, but not their designated HQ.


That was the first thing that jumped into my head.  Fidelity is going to move from downtown Boston?  Not out of the realm of possibility but they have thousands of employees in Boston and are privately owned by the Johnson family.  Closet Husker fans?  I'd say iamjacobm may be onto something.  Back office?  Sales?  Who knows?

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 9038
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Postby iamjacobm » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:43 am

NovakOmaha wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Great news for Papillion.  I wonder if that talk of long range headquarters plan is more like Gallup where their operational HQ is here, but not their designated HQ.


That was the first thing that jumped into my head.  Fidelity is going to move from downtown Boston?  Not out of the realm of possibility but they have thousands of employees in Boston and are privately owned by the Johnson family.  Closet Husker fans?  I'd say iamjacobm may be onto something.  Back office?  Sales?  Who knows?


How about a regional operation center?  Found this as their current structure.  Headquartered in Boston, Fidelity employs over 38,000 people with 11 regional operations centers across the United States and Canada: Cincinnati, OH; Covington, KY.; Dallas, TX; Marlborough, MA; North Carolina; Merrimack, NH; New York/New Jersey; Salt Lake City, UT; Smithfield, RI; Jacksonville, FL; Albuquerque, NM; and Toronto, Canada.

http://jobs.fidelity.com/ourcompany/locations/index.shtml

If you click on the cities on the right hand side they all show what their offices concentrate on.  I think something along those lines is very possible in Papillion.

almighty_tuna
County Board
Posts: 4468
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
Contact:

Postby almighty_tuna » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:12 pm

iamjacobm wrote:I wonder if that talk of long range headquarters plan is more like Gallup where their operational HQ is here, but not their designated HQ.


Not a bad situation in the case of Gallup. The ops headquarters here is far and away the biggest office worldwide, maybe even by 4 or 5x the next largest; DC "HQ".

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 21081
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: Project Photon - Fidelity Investments Data Center

Postby Coyote » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:42 pm

Image

Image

Image
Image

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 21081
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: Fidelity Investments Data Center (Project Photon)

Postby Coyote » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:16 pm

Image
Image

User avatar
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board
Posts: 2118
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: Fidelity Investments Data Center (Project Photon)

Postby TitosBuritoBarn » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:50 am

Is that a green roof I see? Impressive.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 21081
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: Fidelity Investments Data Center (Project Photon)

Postby Coyote » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:41 pm

Crane is back...:

Image
Image


Return to “Suburban Omaha Development”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest