Development in and around Gretna

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

Development in and around Gretna

Post by nebugeater »

With the Outlet Mall on track to open this fall and the Hwy 370 project of how many years from I 80 to Gretna being completed this fall there is a lot of buzz about things happening in the Gretna Area.  Thought I would start a thread to track some of the more noticeable ones.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Looks like the Owner of Blair auto mall is building a new used car outlet in Gretna. All indoors. Going to be built near where the Goodwill store is now going up.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130719/N ... -in-gretna

Gretna Auto Outlet, which aims to call Gretna home by the start of 2014.
He said his used car dealership will be unique to the area as it will be inside a 20,000 square foot building. While construction has not begun, the building will stand just south of Highway 6 and west of Brian Street near the new Goodwill development.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Goodwill opeing a retail outlet in Gretna.  Could almost predict this before it was announced because they have had a staffed donation trailer in Gretna open during most reg business hour for nine months or so before this anouncment.

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/Good ... 28961.html
Number sixteen and counting.

Goodwill Industries is spreading its wings to Western Sarpy County.

A new store is under construction in Gretna on Highway 31 --- the main drag through town.

This will be the area's 16th store.

The structure of the more than 15-thousand square foot store is in place.

It will house a retail store, production room, donation area and training room.

The store created about 25 jobs for the area
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Children's Hospital and Medical Center has a facility that building is just underway in Gretna.  It looks like it will be identical to the one that is new in Bellevue near 48th and Hwy 370.

Children's Physicians, Gretna     Opening Fall of 2013

http://www.childrensomaha.org/FindanOffice
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Any housing projects popping up out there?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

iamjacobm wrote:Any housing projects popping up out there?
There seems to be a bunch of activity in Standing Stone and Lincoln Place that were not full and had been sitting empty.  There is a new development just being graded along Hwy 370 that I cannot remember the name of right now but I think it was mentioned elsewhere on here a few weeks back.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Gretna Goodwill Retail progress as of July 21 2013

Gretna Development July 2013 Goodwill by nebugeater, on Flickr
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Just getting started on the Children's Hospital Physicians location in Gretna.

Gretna Development July 2013 Childrens by nebugeater, on Flickr
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

New NAPA opening in Gretna this week.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130906/N ... s-saturday
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

nebugeater wrote:Gretna Goodwill Retail progress as of July 21 2013

Gretna Development July 2013 Goodwill by nebugeater, on Flickr

New Goodwill retail store set to open in October

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130905/N ... hiring-now
gretnares
New to the Neighborhood

Post by gretnares »

Has anyone heard anything about the Ace Hardware that is supposed to be in Gretna?
There is a banner on the old D&K Cafe location that is part of the Philips 66 gas station along hwy 6.
The banner just has the Ace Hardware name and Coming Soon.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

gretnares wrote:Has anyone heard anything about the Ace Hardware that is supposed to be in Gretna?
There is a banner on the old D&K Cafe location that is part of the Philips 66 gas station along hwy 6.
There has been construction going on for a couple weeks or more.  I first saw a sign about a month ago when I passed by the side of the building to go to the Car wash.  There is now a sign along the hwy too.  I have heard they are targeting an end of November opening but have no idea if that is accurate.   It looks like they are taking all the space that is behind the convenience store, the Old D&K along with a couple of offices that were there too.  I wonder how parking will be handled?  There is not a lot there and when there was D&K and they were just open in the AM and noon  parking seemed to flow over across the street into the Subway lot.  Don’t think that is the same owner and probably will not be acceptable if there is not enough for the Ace Hardware.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

gretnares wrote:Has anyone heard anything about the Ace Hardware that is supposed to be in Gretna?

By the Way, WELCOME TO THE FORUM.  Feel free to join in anywhere!!!!!  

:cheers:
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

The OWH has a story today on the Progress, or more accurately the SLOW progress of the Hwy 370 project from I80 to Gretna.  This has been a three year project to rebuild 3 1/2 miles of the highway.  How it has taken three years in impossible to figure out.  Watching and drive through this for three years, and having a little knowledge about construction, I cannot figure out what process they used to schedule this work.  There has been no flow to the work.  IT seem it is more of a "what should we work on today" process.  jumping all over the entire stretch and starting and never finishing any portion of the road.  Set up cones, move them, sometimes doing work where they are set up and often setting them up and then not working in the area for weeks.  The number of accidents and cars off the road because the cones do not make since or are incomplete has been crazy.

It will be great to see this finally DONE.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130926/M ... 70-project

The Highway 370 widening project meant to boost economic opportunity in Gretna is choking the flow of customers to some businesses. And with the Sept. 1 completion date having come and gone, business owners are frustrated that it's still not wrapped up.
Surfacing on medians finished this week, and lane striping is planned for completion by Friday morning. After that, electrical and a few small items are left, including adding permanent signals between 204th Street and Highway 6 and also between 168th Street and Wickersham Boulevard.
City Administrator Jeff Kooistra said “everybody's looking forward to seeing (the project) done,” notably developers interested in pursuing projects along Highway 370. Aspen Creek, a new subdivision near 192nd Street north of Highway 370, has already started grading.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

There has to be a better way to incentivize these Construction companies to work faster.. I remember the joke that was Fort St from 108th-120th being the same..

But.. from what I can tell here this will most likely truly establish 370 as a true corridor with Gretna, Papillion and Bellevue as the anchors.. I see no doubt that 370 will be completely developed in the next 10 years.. this area of growth is what will most likely push Omaha over the 1 million mark too  :mrgreen:
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

guitarguy wrote:There has to be a better way to incentivize these Construction companies to work faster.. I remember the joke that was Fort St from 108th-120th being the same..

But.. from what I can tell here this will most likely truly establish 370 as a true corridor with Gretna, Papillion and Bellevue as the anchors.. I see no doubt that 370 will be completely developed in the next 10 years.. this area of growth is what will most likely push Omaha over the 1 million mark too  :mrgreen:
Anybody know the details on the fine or such that Vrana had to pay Kiewit for the excessive delays on 132nd street?  If I recall, the city stung them for large dollars that were then used to pay Kiewit to complete the work.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

bigredmed wrote:Anybody know the details on the fine or such that Vrana had to pay Kiewit for the excessive delays on 132nd street?  If I recall, the city stung them for large dollars that were then used to pay Kiewit to complete the work.
132 from Dodge to Blondo?  That as WBE Co. of Valley, Not Vrana.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Varna is the ones doing 370. Not the best track record on time either from what I gather.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

nebugeater wrote:The OWH has a story today on the Progress, or more accurately the SLOW progress of the Hwy 370 project from I80 to Gretna.  This has been a three year project to rebuild 3 1/2 miles of the highway.  How it has taken three years in impossible to figure out.  Watching and drive through this for three years, and having a little knowledge about construction, I cannot figure out what process they used to schedule this work.  There has been no flow to the work.  IT seem it is more of a "what should we work on today" process.  jumping all over the entire stretch and starting and never finishing any portion of the road.  Set up cones, move them, sometimes doing work where they are set up and often setting them up and then not working in the area for weeks.  The number of accidents and cars off the road because the cones do not make since or are incomplete has been crazy.

I would speculate that budget reasons forced the project to be completed in stages. The article stated that they ran into utility problems, and depending on the issue, stuff like that can significantly slow down a project.

I like how the OWH article said "business owners" but they only interviewed one.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

jessep28 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:The OWH has a story today on the Progress, or more accurately the SLOW progress of the Hwy 370 project from I80 to Gretna.  This has been a three year project to rebuild 3 1/2 miles of the highway.  How it has taken three years in impossible to figure out.  Watching and drive through this for three years, and having a little knowledge about construction, I cannot figure out what process they used to schedule this work.  There has been no flow to the work.  IT seem it is more of a "what should we work on today" process.  jumping all over the entire stretch and starting and never finishing any portion of the road.  Set up cones, move them, sometimes doing work where they are set up and often setting them up and then not working in the area for weeks.  The number of accidents and cars off the road because the cones do not make since or are incomplete has been crazy.

I would speculate that budget reasons forced the project to be completed in stages. The article stated that they ran into utility problems, and depending on the issue, stuff like that can significantly slow down a project.

I like how the OWH article said "business owners" but they only interviewed one.
Budget or not there is no reason for the path of progress that they followed. NOTHING was done in an orderly fashion.  

They actually interview two business owners for the story. D&K cafe and the grocery store  owner.  That is all I will say about that.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

nebugeater wrote:

Budget or not there is no reason for the path of progress that they followed. NOTHING was done in an orderly fashion.  
Do you have the expertise in road construction to make that determination?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

jessep28 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

Based on what? Armchair observations?

As if much of the observation mentioned on here isn't?  

Sure that has some to do with it but I do have construction experience.  Granted it is not roads but logic still applies. And yes, from observation it has not made sense.   It was also reported in the Gretna paper, I believe between yr 2 and 3 that they changed overall Forman for the project because of the patchwork (my word) approach. By the time that change was made the course had been set and (IMO). It was  too late to really change the progress.
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

I work in Gretna. It is unbelievable. This is just dragging on. No excuse for it!!! I drive the extra miles to Highway 31
just to avoid it!!!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

jessep28 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

Do you have the expertise in road construction to make that determination?
All it takes is some common sense and a decent grip on reality to realize this was not done right.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Linkin5 wrote:
All it takes is some common sense and a decent grip on reality to realize this was not done right.

I can be a real idiot sometimes and lack both.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

jessep28 wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:

Well, me too.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

jessep28 wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:

Nice edit on your post before this one. Your original is captured in my quoted reply.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

nebugeater wrote:
jessep28 wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:

Nice edit on your post before this one. Your original is captured in my quoted reply.
Yeah, I was trying to reword that so I didn't sound like a jerk, but you had replied already. I was too lazy to change it back.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

jessep28 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
jessep28 wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:

Yeah, I was trying to reword that so I didn't sound like a jerk, but you had replied already. I was too lazy to change it back.
All is good
:;):
Gretna G
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Gretna G »

Never mind all that, Gretna needs more restaurants! I've been to all the ones here, and they're getting old. I am stoked about the new outlet mall, but was deflated that yet ANOTHER Subway was going in out there. There's already one in Gretna proper, and one at the WalMart at I-80/Hwy. 370. One can only tolerate so many sub sandwiches, along with Runza, Arby's, McDonald's, Sonic, Pizza Hut, Godfather's, BBQ, mediocre chinese, greasy spoon, etc. Dunno what I'd like to see, but I think Gretna could easily accommodate more, even if it were chain restaurants.  

Also, it's agonizing that the finishing touches on Hwy. 370 are taking so long. It's tough to maintain 45 mph (35 mph from Hwy 6/31 to 200th St.), and the NSP / SCSD know this, and are lying in wait for my lead foot to reveal itself! Regardless, it's nice that the end of the road construction (in this area) is near.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

The other year my friend's mom got ticketed for doing 3 over on 370. Those cops are unnecessarily vicious.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
blackcows
New to the Neighborhood

Post by blackcows »

Gretna G wrote:Never mind all that, Gretna needs more restaurants! I've been to all the ones here, and they're getting old. I am stoked about the new outlet mall, but was deflated that yet ANOTHER Subway was going in out there. There's already one in Gretna proper, and one at the WalMart at I-80/Hwy. 370. One can only tolerate so many sub sandwiches, along with Runza, Arby's, McDonald's, Sonic, Pizza Hut, Godfather's, BBQ, mediocre chinese, greasy spoon, etc. Dunno what I'd like to see, but I think Gretna could easily accommodate more, even if it were chain restaurants.  

Also, it's agonizing that the finishing touches on Hwy. 370 are taking so long. It's tough to maintain 45 mph (35 mph from Hwy 6/31 to 200th St.), and the NSP / SCSD know this, and are lying in wait for my lead foot to reveal itself! Regardless, it's nice that the end of the road construction (in this area) is near.
I've lived in Gretna for over 30 years and it wasn't that long ago our only choices were the local bars or the bowling alley.  Restaurants don't seem to survive for very long in town, especially those that aren't fast food.  There are far too many choice within 10 or 15 miles of town for people to consistently support a local restaurant.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

New NAPA store that opened this fall in Gretna.  

NAPA Oct 20 2013 -1 by nebugeater, on Flickr
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

The recently completed addition to the Gretna High School.  Guessing this will be the last addition and when more space is needed another High School will be built.

Gretna High School Oct 20 2013 -14b by nebugeater, on Flickr

Gretna High School Oct 20 2013 -7b by nebugeater, on Flickr

Gretna High School Oct 20 2013 -3 by nebugeater, on Flickr
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Work is well under way on the new Ace Hardware location that will be opening in Gretna.  

Ace hardware Oct 20 2013 -7b by nebugeater, on Flickr

They are doing an addition onto the back of the building for this project.  ( maybe this is the side ;))

Ace hardware Oct 20 2013 -4 by nebugeater, on Flickr
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Children's Hospital and Medical Center Physicians Clinic is coming along nicely and should be open before years end based on their stated schedule and what things look like.

Childrens Physicians Clinic Oct 20 2013 -2 by nebugeater, on Flickr

Childrens Physicians Clinic Oct 20 2013 -3b by nebugeater, on Flickr
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Goodwill retail store and donation center that opened about a week ago.

Goodwill Oct 20 2013 -13b by nebugeater, on Flickr

Goodwill Oct 20 2013 -1 by nebugeater, on Flickr

Goodwill Oct 20 2013 -2 by nebugeater, on Flickr
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Gretna Auto Outlet, owned by Blair Auto Mall has started construction.  Grading complete and footing poured.  Steal is sitting off the the side of the construction site.

Gretna Auto Mall Oct 20 2013 -3 by nebugeater, on Flickr
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Alegent Creighton Clinic in Gretna is nearly complete with a building addition that will double the size as it looks.

Alligent Healthcare Oct 20 2013 -7 by nebugeater, on Flickr
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

It looks like something is going on with the former American National Bank building.  It has been sitting empty for a long time.  The For sale / lease sign is gone. They did some concrete work outside the entrance, it looks like some interior work is going on.  Some of the items from the building have been for sale on Craigslist including the Bullet proof glass from the drive through window.

Former American Bank Oct 20 2013 -2 by nebugeater, on Flickr