Travelers insurance Data Center (Project Oasis)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

RNcyanide
Planning Board

Travelers insurance Data Center (Project Oasis)

Post by RNcyanide »

Project Oasis Data Center

Sarpy County is in the hunt to land new $200 million data center

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130730/N ... ata-center
Cody Winchester / World-Herald staff writer wrote:But the Sarpy County Board will decide today whether to apply for $750,000 in state incentives to help build roads, water lines and sewers to a data center that would sit on the southwest corner of 144th Street and Schram Road.
Cody Winchester / World-Herald staff writer wrote:Last year, it signed a two-year purchase option on the 140-acre parcel, according to county records. As competition for data centers has ramped up, local economic development officials have been trying to get sites ready.
Here we go, head to head with Iowa again on another data center. The data center would go near 144th and Schram Rd near Springfield. The identity is not known; only that it is a Fortune 200 company.

Hopefully we can redeem ourselves on this one.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

As much as local governments are willing to invest in these projects must just make a ton of property tax dollars.  The sure don't create too many jobs.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Brad wrote:As much as local governments are willing to invest in these projects must just make a ton of property tax dollars.  The sure don't create too many jobs.
I suppose some temporary jobs will be created in construction and engineering. The article mentioned that they needed to pave Schram Rd from 144th to 150th Sts and they needed to run water and sewer utilities to the area.

It sounds like a long shot in my opinion. I think Iowa might nail this one too.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I suppose it is a good excuse to extend your infrastructure.  I am sure a new sewer line will attract housing development.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

In the OWH article, they are asking for people to submit better project names. One of the submissions was Project Carlos Danger. lol
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

HR Paperstacks wrote:In the OWH article, they are asking for people to submit better project names. One of the submissions was Project Carlos Danger. lol
Well, that's a real Weiner!
Oidar
New to the Neighborhood

Project Oasis

Post by Oidar »

Could this be the new MLB data center?
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Project Oasis

Post by iamjacobm »

Oidar wrote:Could this be the new MLB data center?
No they are taking some space in the Scott Technology Center in Aksarben.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Isn't this possible the new 911 center.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The article said it was a Fortune 200 company.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

We are probably talking about two different centers then. I know I saw something a few days ago about a study for t 911 center - I will have to look for it later when I am on a computer...
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Coyote wrote:We are probably talking about two different centers then. I know I saw something a few days ago about a study for t 911 center - I will have to look for it later when I am on a computer...
Sarpy County just approved a study on its 911 system. One of the options being considered is a merged Douglas/Sarpy/Washington County 911 center.

Sarpy OKs paying up to $60K for consultant to study 911 call center

[youtube][/youtube]
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

That is the one I was thinking about. Were they not looking for land in Sarpy?
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

RNcyanide wrote:
Brad wrote:As much as local governments are willing to invest in these projects must just make a ton of property tax dollars.  The sure don't create too many jobs.
I suppose some temporary jobs will be created in construction and engineering. The article mentioned that they needed to pave Schram Rd from 144th to 150th Sts and they needed to run water and sewer utilities to the area.

The consume a ton of power so maybe they are profitable for the utilities.  They also could create a few local jobs at local carriers Cox, CenturyLink, etc.  I guess the thought could also be that the presence of a company data center may help the metro land some kind of back office jobs for the company, like with Yahoo opening a office in Omaha along with a data center.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Joe_Sovereign wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:

The consume a ton of power so maybe they are profitable for the utilities.  They also could create a few local jobs at local carriers Cox, CenturyLink, etc.  I guess the thought could also be that the presence of a company data center may help the metro land some kind of back office jobs for the company, like with Yahoo opening a office in Omaha along with a data center.
They are sexy!  You get to say "Hey World! We got a big a$$ Google building!"  Yeah there are some jobs that pay more than fast food.  And a lot of construction jobs building this big a$$ closet.  Here's one development that brought more than just some babysitting jobs.  Yahoo brought a data center but it also brought a call center.  

The PayPal development is an example of high tech jobs that grow.  A big variety of jobs and lots of them.

Anyway, whoever gets this latest data center gets to brag a bit.  Any new development can be good, unless you give away the farm in incentives.
lisanstan
Library Board

Post by lisanstan »

I saw somewhere that someone outed it as being Fidelity.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

lisanstan wrote:I saw somewhere that someone outed it as being Fidelity.
Fidelity already has a data center announced in Papillion.  It's code name was "Project Photon."
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Project Oasis secret revealed: Travelers insurance to build $200M Sarpy data center

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130913/M ... ata-center
Cody Winchester World-Herald staff writer wrote:The company planning to build a $200 million data center near Springfield is Travelers Cos., a global insurance group.

“Travelers is excited about the opportunity to build a new data center in Greater Omaha, and we look forward to next week's Sarpy County Board meeting,” company spokesman Delker Herbert Vardilos said in a statement to The World-Herald.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Positive news.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Travelers insurance Data Center (Project Oasis)

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Ribbon cutting was today.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I can't tell are these ultimately great for the local economy? They take up a lot of room a lot of energy and require very few employees.
15-17, 26, 32
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

That's a good point. Obviously the construction is nice. But once they get up and running, I wonder how much they add to the local economy, once you factor in the tax breaks they were given to land them.

Greg
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

A project like this is going to add maybe ten $60,000 to $100,000 a year jobs, and another ten $30,000 to $60,000 a year jobs. Then a couple contracts for diesel delivery, generator and HVAC maintence, lawn service, custodial, and trash removal. OPPD won't make much profit because the rate per KW will be low given the volume of power consumed. Out side of construction jobs and bragging rights there is little economic benefit to this kind of project.