Boys Town Campus

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Finn
Parks & Recreation

Boys Town Campus

Post by Finn »

From OWH:
Boys Town breaks ground for new hospital
OWH wrote:BY RICK RUGGLES
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

Girls and Boys Town broke ground Thursday on a 22-bed hospital to treat children with a combination of physical disability and behavioral problems.

Dr. Patrick Brookhouser, Girls and Boys Town's health care director, said the hospital, called Boys Town National Research Hospital West, will serve children from around the nation.

The hospital, to be completed in late summer 2006, is the first major new construction on the Boys Town campus in west Omaha since the late 1980s.

Many children with physical disabilities also have behavioral problems because they have been neglected and abused, Brookhouser said.

Surgery and medical treatment for their disabilities will be provided at the hospital. New strategies for dealing with their behavioral problems also will be developed.

The hospital will contain 50,000 square feet of space and will be mostly on one level.

Boys Town National Research Hospital at 555 N. 30th St. works with children who have communication disabilities. That hospital has 170,000 square feet of space, including research areas, and currently functions with 24 beds.
OhioStreetKid
Home Owners Association

Post by OhioStreetKid »

Girls and Boys Town broke ground Thursday on a 22-bed hospital to treat children with a combination of physical disability and behavioral problems.
Sounds like a specialized hospital that does not have full service ER or OR capabilities hence the need for only 22 beds.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

I'm acctually begining to wonder if this isn't something different than what I was talking about. I'll have to confur with my source to see if we should be expecting commercial developments with this as well (see: the thread I previously linked to).
omahapropertymanager
Home Owners Association

Boys Town

Post by omahapropertymanager »

Anyone know what is going on at the Boys Town land along Pacific Street between 144th and 138th? I drove by there just a little bit ago and they were moving dirt. They were about to put up a sign, but I didn't have time to wait and see what it was.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Merged in to the Existing thread:
Boystown's new Hospital
omahapropertymanager
Home Owners Association

Post by omahapropertymanager »

Ah, ok... THANKS!
Asten
Human Relations

Boys Town building?

Post by Asten »

I noticed at thanksgiving and again today, there's some building going up right off of Pacific street at boys town. I haven't found anything with a couple quick searches - anyone know what this is?
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

boystownhospital.org wrote:Girls and Boys Town broke ground on Thursday, March 31, to build a 50,000-square-foot specialized healthcare facility for children with disabilities. Located in the world-famous Village of Boys Town, Neb., the new Boys Town National Research Hospital West will include a short-stay surgical hospital, radiology center, and an outpatient medical facility.

The new facility will house the National Treatment Center for Abused and Neglected Children with Disabilities. This center will offer medical, surgical and behavioral health services that address both a child’s physical disabilities and the behavioral consequences from prior injuries. It will be designed to accommodate the physical, educational and emotional needs of these youngsters.

Dr. Patrick Brookhouser, Director of Health Care for Girls and Boys Town, said, “This new facility will enable the Hospital staff to broaden their range of care and treatment for childhood disabilities, encompassing potentially crippling disabilities and deformities. A significant percentage of these have resulted from trauma, including physical abuse sustained by these children earlier in life.”

“The Girls and Boys Town National Board of Trustees is very proud of this much-needed facility,” said Board Chairman John J. Gillin, of Atlanta, Georgia. “It will greatly enhance Girls and Boys Town’s mission of helping more children across the United States.”

Dr. Brookhouser also announced the recruitment of a nationally renowned pediatrician, Dr. Thomas Tonniges, a native Nebraskan, as Director of the newly formed Boys Town Institute for Child Health Improvement. He is currently Associate Executive Director in charge of International and Interprofessional Activities for the Chicago-based 60,000-member American Academy of Pediatrics. The goal of the Institute, also located in Boys Town National Research Hospital West, is to develop and disseminate better models of comprehensive care for children with special physical and behavioral healthcare needs.

“Children with special health needs constitute about 13 percent of the U.S. pediatric and adolescent population but the services they require consume nearly 60 percent of all expenditures for child healthcare in this country,” according to Dr. Brookhouser. “The new Institute for Child Health Improvement will develop more cost-effective strategies for primary healthcare providers to use in caring for this segment of the population.”

“In a sense, the Center and the Institute are the culmination of a vision of Monsignor Nicholas Wegner, Girls and Boys Town’s second Executive Director, to establish a facility on the Girls and Boys Town Home Campus to help children with disabilities,” said Father Val Peter, Girls and Boys Town’s Executive Director.

“In 1967, Monsignor Wegner made front-page news breaking ground on the former Girls and Boys Town property north of Dodge Street for a facility to care for children with handicaps,” said Father Peter. “In Monsignor Wegner’s remarks, he said the new facility was for ‘homeless boys who did not have the capacity to learn regular academic subjects. These boys should, and must, be given special instruction to enable them to earn a livelihood and live a useful life.’”

At the event, Vice President Hubert Humphrey turned over the first spade full of dirt, and his wife, Muriel, gave the groundbreaking address. The project was put on hold when its newly appointed director, a Christian Brother, was killed in an auto accident and his Order was unable to provide replacement staff.

“Monsignor Wegner’s vision of helping handicapped children then found new expression in 1972,” Father Peter said, “when he announced what was then called the Boys Town National Institute for Communication Disorders in Children. To serve as the Institute’s founding director, Dr. Brookhouser was recruited from Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.”
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

jhuston wrote:Image
Dang, I even was hunting around there and somehow missed that. Thanks!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Wow. I had forgotten that this was being built - I haven't been in that area for a while.
Great photos - thanks for posting them Brad!
iamjacobm
City Council

Boys Town Construction

Post by iamjacobm »

Anyone else see the project from Dodge recently?  Looks like a 3 floor steel structure is going up.  They had boards highlighting the project, but I couldn't catch them as I went by.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I have noticed it too, but I have no idea what it is.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Which side? Actually in Boys Town or the office park across the way?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

OSILayer8Support wrote:Which side? Actually in Boys Town or the office park across the way?
In Boystown.  You can see it from 132nd and Dodge.
charlie123
Home Owners Association

Post by charlie123 »

I think it's a clinic of some sort.  there are boards up showing an image.
cvvorst
New to the Neighborhood

Re: Boys Town Campus

Post by cvvorst »

charlie123 wrote:I think it's a clinic of some sort.  there are boards up showing an image.
This. I thought it had something to do with mental health? (could be way off, I do seem to remember the word clinic)
charlie123
Home Owners Association

Post by charlie123 »

If eastbound and exiting on 132nd, you can see the sign better.  It's the "BoysTown Behavioral Clinic"
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Some work at the Boystown Hospital West (on the Boystown campus) has begun to prepare for the eventual move out from CUMC. Here's how I understand things from talking to a couple of folks with knowledge of the situation:
-Freestanding clinics / buildings down near the CUMC campus will continue to operate. That includes the Leid Learning center, and associated programs - Center for Childhood deafness, cochlear implant clinic, preschool.
-Anything physically within the CUMC building, including all surgical services, will relocate to the Boystown Hospital West campus.

What does this entail for the west campus?
-construction currently underway for additional access road (going behind the building), and more parking to the West of the building
-once additional parking is complete, there will be an addition off the front of the building on the hospital end. This will allow for construction of several additional surgical suites to make up for the additional volume that will be moving from CUMC site.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Looks like an addition is going on to the west side of the Boystown Hospital.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Boys Town announces plans to build $30 million, three-story education center
Boys Town officials said Wednesday that a three-story, $30 million education center will be built on campus.

Demolition of the current Boys Town High School will begin immediately to make way for the 110,000-square-foot facility. The new building is expected to open in August 2023 and will bring all approximately 350 students on campus under one roof.

“This new education center will help Boys Town continue to provide a safe and inspiring learning experience for our students,” said the Rev. Steven Boes, Boys Town’s national executive director. “We continue to make improvements on our campus as the needs of our children change.”
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

ita wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:28 pm Boys Town announces plans to build $30 million, three-story education center
Boys Town officials said Wednesday that a three-story, $30 million education center will be built on campus.

Demolition of the current Boys Town High School will begin immediately to make way for the 110,000-square-foot facility. The new building is expected to open in August 2023 and will bring all approximately 350 students on campus under one roof.

“This new education center will help Boys Town continue to provide a safe and inspiring learning experience for our students,” said the Rev. Steven Boes, Boys Town’s national executive director. “We continue to make improvements on our campus as the needs of our children change.”
Dumb question that I didn't see in any of the news coverage on this new High School. Tear down will happen immediately. New school opening in Aug '23. Where will the kids go to school for the next 2 years?
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Ben wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:16 am
ita wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:28 pm Boys Town announces plans to build $30 million, three-story education center

Dumb question that I didn't see in any of the news coverage on this new High School. Tear down will happen immediately. New school opening in Aug '23. Where will the kids go to school for the next 2 years?
Based on the article, it sounds like students attend classes throughout the classes, so, there shouldn't be any disruptions. I am not super familiar with how Boys Town works, that's just what I gleaned from the article.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Boys Town celebrates opening new education center for students