Alamo Drafthouse Cinema (Southport)

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Alamo Drafthouse Cinema (Southport)

Post by Coyote »

126th and Highway 370, Papillion....
We are pleased to announce our new location in Papillion, Nebraska. Our venue will include a 8 screen cinema, a Restaurant and Lounge, large state of the art arcade, and an "out of this world" 3500 sq ft laser tag course for all ages. Stay tuned for updates throughout the process.

RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

This isn't too far from me. Definitely will have to check this out sometime!!
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Is this Alamo drafthouse Cinema?  ....because that would be awesome.
FrontlineOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by FrontlineOmaha »

is this "pennant place" or something else?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

FrontlineOmaha wrote:is this "pennant place" or something else?
Yes, On the lot south of Werner Park.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

WOWT will have a segment on this tonight at 6.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

How much space does 600 new homes take up? Seems like it would be a lot of the area down that way..
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

guitarguy wrote:How much space does 600 new homes take up? Seems like it would be a lot of the area down that way..
Did you mean to post this in the Drafthouse thread or somewhere else?

600 Homes depends if you are doing it Hearthstone style or a higher end neighborhood.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Brad wrote:
guitarguy wrote:How much space does 600 new homes take up? Seems like it would be a lot of the area down that way..
Did you mean to post this in the Drafthouse thread or somewhere else?

600 Homes depends if you are doing it Hearthstone style or a higher end neighborhood.
Celebrity could have all 600 in the size of a football field if you let them.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Varsity
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Varsity »

The old Pennant Place thread has apparently been dug up. Info on the residential development and the rest of the site plans can be found over there.

http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=10797
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Whoops wrong thread before..  :mrgreen:
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Linkin5 wrote:Is this Alamo drafthouse Cinema?  ....because that would be awesome.

Agreed, my heart almost stopped when I saw the title of this thread just because I thought it was associated with Alamo.
No posts exist for this topic
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Re: Drafthouse Cinema and Entertainment Center

Post by HskrFanMike »

Did anything ever come of this? The original announcements were taken down shortly after they went up, and there really hasn't been any word since.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

HskrFanMike wrote:Did anything ever come of this? The original announcements were taken down shortly after they went up, and there really hasn't been any word since.
A sound management llc was supposed to buy land there but I haven't heard anything, last I heard, Papillion community relations coordinator Darren Carlson said “there's still some work that needs to be done.”
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

HskrFanMike wrote:Did anything ever come of this? The original announcements were taken down shortly after they went up, and there really hasn't been any word since.
They will not be building there. They have decided to look at a different piece of ground.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

A $9.5 million combination movie theater, bar and restaurant — all under one roof — is planned in La Vista near Cabela’s.

The Alamo Drafthouse Cinema at La Vista's Southport West development would replace a similar venue previously planned near Werner Park, said Tyler Calabrese, senior vice president of Entertainment Management.
Calabrese said no groundbreaking date is set, but he plans to open the complex next year.

http://www.omaha.com/money/coming-to-la ... c80fe.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

As it says, good news for Southport... Time not yet for Pennant Place. Someone needs to be the first shop to land there...
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I think once the housing subdivisions to the north and south of Werner Park get built, that might change things.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I didn't realize that anyone was building theater complexes with only 8 screens once again. The worm seems to be turning.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

skinzfan23 wrote:I think once the housing subdivisions to the north and south of Werner Park get built, that might change things.

There's a bunch going up behind the free parking lot. That should help once they start getting people to move in. Drafthouse would have been a nice addition to Pennant Place. Southport got aggressive. They had lost out on Werner Park, the ice rink (with Lancers) and the outlet center.

Greg
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://drafthouse.com/blog/entry/omaha- ... -commenced
Even though you can’t tell what is what, I can give you some of the specifics of what you can expect to find within the walls of the building. Inside you’ll find 8 screens that’ll be able to seat over 800 people in total. Our big house with roughly 190 seats will be equipped to handle both 35mm AND 70mm projection. (Does that fact make you salivate like it does us?) Also available within the confines of the theater will be “built from scratch” menu items, craft beer and cocktails to really round out your movie going experience. All of these items are served to you by a staff of ninja servers dressed in nearly invisible all black whose ultimate goal is provide you with excellent service without being seen or being heard.

Stepping outside of the theater rooms you will find our own bar, Glass Half Full, which runs independently from the movie theater. Here you’ll find 32 taps serving only hand picked local craft beer as well as specialty drinks and cocktails. On top of that, you’ll have access to all of the homemade menu items from our kitchen that are available in the movie theater. Whether you are seeing a movie or just interested in dinner and a night out, the Alamo Drafthouse Omaha has got you covered.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Can't wait for this place to open, easily the coolest theaters around and they'll kick noisy annoying people out of the place.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Linkin5 wrote:Can't wait for this place to open, easily the coolest theaters around and they'll kick noisy annoying people out of the place.

And the no cellphone policy is amazing. Can't even have them out to look at the bright screen.
No posts exist for this topic
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Reminds me a lot of the old 6-West theater at Weatroads Mall, which featured tiny theater auditoriums of only about 100 seats each. Barely a true movie experience, with smallish screens.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Finally this area is starting to come about... It'll be nice to have an entertainment venue within walking distance of my place.

The Bride
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

That looks great for the area.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

So the theaters are small? I just noticed someone comparing them to the old Six West at Westroads.

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Greg S wrote:So the theaters are small?  I just noticed someone comparing them to the old Six West at Westroads.
That was my first thought, it looks small, especially with the sports bar included into the design. I am not a big movie goer, but I was surprised at the remodeled Majestic Cinema in West Maple. Are theaters now going after a smaller venue with larger seats. I think the theater I was in had about 35-50 comfy chairs, and at the entrance it looked like they were trying to be a sports bar.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Yeah that is the way they remodeled Twin Creek Cinema in Bellevue as well. I think they are trying to compete with people who want to stay home in their recliners and watch movies on their big screen TV's. By offering the same comforts of home with the huge screen and better sound, they are hoping to still draw people out.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Movie attendance is down. Theaters are trying to compensate for reduced volume by extracting more revenue per visitor through a premium experience.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

jessep28 wrote:Movie attendance is down. Theaters are trying to compensate for reduced volume by extracting more revenue per visitor through a premium experience.
Probably because 99% of new movies Suck! The last several times I have been to the theater, there has not been one trailer where I have thought "I should see that", its usually more like "Who the heck watches this |expletive|?!?!"
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Brad wrote:
Probably because 99% of new movies Suck! The last several times I have been to the theater, there has not been one trailer where I have thought "I should see that", its usually more like "Who the heck watches this |expletive|?!?!"
I agree. Too many reboots, not enough original ideas. The stuff that plays at Film Streams, old and new, often sparks my interest more than what Hollywood cranks out.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Funny because Hollywood cranks out whatever makes the money...
15-17, 26, 32
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

MTO wrote:Funny because Hollywood cranks out whatever makes the money...
Over the years, Hollywood has been getting a smaller and smaller return on their investments. Look at the Lone Ranger, for example. They spent like, what, 500 million, and only pulled in about half that. 250 million is a good haul, but not when you spent something that's impossible to match.

The Bride
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

That is very true.. never before have I ever seen so many flops in one year as there were in 2013. Hollywood lost 100's of millions that year.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

To be honest, I think an implosion would suck for Hollywood, but it might lead to some influx of new talent and ideas.

The Bride
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

guitarguy wrote:That is very true.. never before have I ever seen so many flops in one year as there were in 2013. Hollywood lost 100's of millions that year.

If you count money from overseas box office, did they really lose that much? I've seen movies pegged as flops, but only using domestic box office. Once overseas box office is included, they turned a profit.

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

So, is this a new Foreign Policy funded by the CIA, the dumbing down of our adversaries through stupid |expletive| movies?