Shoppes At Market Pointe (SEC 72 & Giles)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

michaelsjewel
Home Owners Association

Re: Shoppes At Market Pointe (SEC 72 & Giles)

Post by michaelsjewel »

and if women are treated so poorly - then why does a woman manage the north lincoln walmart - how come women are in the management sector there too - very interesting stuff

and no offense - you can't have a community unless u have people living in it - so therefore - what benefitis the individual is the most important thing of all - b/c they'll eventually move elsewhere and the community will fall apart - GET THE IDEA?
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

michaelsjewel wrote:and if women are treated so poorly - then why does a woman manage the north lincoln walmart - how come women are in the management sector there too - very interesting stuff

and no offense - you can't have a community unless u have people living in it - so therefore - what benefitis the individual is the most important thing of all - b/c they'll eventually move elsewhere and the community will fall apart - GET THE IDEA?
The list of how wal-mart is a poor corporate citizen is long and i won't beat it further, except for one area - their active bullying of suppliers which leads to atrocious human rights violations in places such as China - and the accompanying

I remember, maybe 15 years ago, Sams and Wal-Mart used to be very big about advertising "We buy american so you can too". They've long since abandoned that once they figured out they could make a lot more money by indirectly abusing chinese children.
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

michaelsjewel wrote:and let me ask you something here - do u really think that walmart is the only company that buys from china or elsewhere than the US? - not all of the stuff is walmart made -
Of course everyone buys from China... it's just most other retailers such as Target don't actively go out trying to bully suppliers into prices so unrealistic they result in human rights violations.

And yes, other companies that are active human rights abusers don't get my business either.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

michaelsjewel wrote:so therefore - what benefitis the individual is the most important thing of all - b/c they'll eventually move elsewhere and the community will fall apart - GET THE IDEA?
Sweet, well it benefits me if you give me all your money, so hand it over. :roll:
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Asten wrote:I remember, maybe 15 years ago, Sams and Wal-Mart used to be very big about advertising "We buy american so you can too". They've long since abandoned that once they figured out they could make a lot more money by indirectly abusing chinese children.
They abandoned that advertising because it simply wasn't true. I can't remember who ran the expose, but they went into many Wal-Marts and the percentage of foreign-made articles was higher than at other competing stores that didn't boast of American products.
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

icejammer wrote:
Asten wrote:I remember, maybe 15 years ago, Sams and Wal-Mart used to be very big about advertising "We buy american so you can too". They've long since abandoned that once they figured out they could make a lot more money by indirectly abusing chinese children.
They abandoned that advertising because it simply wasn't true. I can't remember who ran the expose, but they went into many Wal-Marts and the percentage of foreign-made articles was higher than at other competing stores that didn't boast of American products.
Hah, figures. Thx for that... I always wondered why that suddenly disappeared.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Swift wrote:Yeah, but economic benefits are clearly a trade off for cultural benefits. Specifcally when Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc. come into a market and close down all the small and historic businesses that can't compete with the low prices that wal-mart achieves by buying its goods from China.
Fine by me. I derive more happiness from spending time with family at a local park than walking to a shop. I will take the thousands of dollars I save and take them on a nice vacation. Frankly, seems like a double win for me.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

that's good, because your happiness is all I care about. :wink:
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I will take the thousands of dollars I save and take them on a nice vacation.
I agree that we can't blame Walmart alone for the trend. It has more become a symbol of it... that being the coming collapse (and as illustrated here, unforeseen by most naive consumers) of the American economy under the weight of these enormous and unsustainable trade deficits.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

http://www.jibjab.com/Home.aspx

Click on BIG BOX MART ---> then you will have to wait for commercial to play.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

jhuston wrote:
I will take the thousands of dollars I save and take them on a nice vacation.
I agree that we can't blame Walmart alone for the trend. It has more become a symbol of it... that being the coming collapse (and as illustrated here, unforeseen by most naive consumers) of the American economy under the weight of these enormous and unsustainable trade deficits.
The trade deficit is the biggest concern I have. However, so long as we continue to add more service based jobs to the economy (which, traditionally pay more), I think we are better off. While I enjoy visiting a quant little locally owned store, I would rather save money and be able to afford to have my wife continue to stay at home with our children.
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

joeglow wrote:While I enjoy visiting a quant little locally owned store, I would rather save money and be able to afford to have my wife continue to stay at home with our children.
How true! I'm with you on this statement joeglow.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

joeglow wrote:However, so long as we continue to add more service based jobs to the economy (which, traditionally pay more), I think we are better off.
Whoa now, let's not get carried away here. I think the guys getting laid off from their factory jobs at Ford and GM were making a whale-boat load of money more than your typical pool cleaner/gardener/house cleaner. If you think a service-based economy is going to carry clout in the world of the future.....yikes....
loyalomahan
Library Board

Post by loyalomahan »

joeglow, where do you think the money to pay these service jobs is going to continue coming from? All of our income is going out of the country. The only money coming in the country is foreign investment in treasury bills, enabling our government to continue the spiraling debt. Increasingly, as more and more pieces of the supply chain are outsourced, a tiny portion of the revenue earned from american 'designed' and 'marketed' goods stays in the United States. You can already see Chinese and Asian entrepreneurs in general figuring out that they can design and market these products on their own. We're getting to the point where the only thing the United States has of value, are it's tradenames. Even some of those are being sold off for nothing (the Bell and Howell nose hair trimmer??). The United States economy cannot sustain itself on sales and marketing jobs alone.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

15-17, 26, 32
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Lunch breaks are for communists!!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Ironic how the posts here have stayed so far from the original topic, yet the title remains dead on > "Wal Mart Grading Begins." Many would grade it an F, some an A, and most of us somewhere in between. I prefer not to shop at Wal Mart, but the darn things are so convenient. Success breeds people wanting to bring you down. It's the American way.
djcrazyglow
New to the Neighborhood

Post by djcrazyglow »

Last edited by djcrazyglow on Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Wallmart managed to flatten another hill to fit their huge building.

joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Brad wrote:Wallmart managed to flatten another hill to fit their huge building.
-Did you really expect them to tunnel into the ground?
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

The wal*mart does what ever it wants and there is nothing the wal*mart can’t do. :evil:
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Did you really expect them to tunnel into the ground?
No,
I was joking around, I was just pointing out that they really changed the landscape of that area.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

pkiphd wrote:The wal*mart does what ever it wants and there is nothing the wal*mart can’t do. :evil:
Ya, no kidding. Did you know that Wal-Mart is trying to break into the banking business now? :shock: Could you imagine Wal-Mart giving themselves loans? :roll: Yuck, now they will never go away.

One more thing, I am suprised Wal-Mart hasn't tried to diversifiy their busniess at all, like creating concept stores or a store with a different name that carries different stuff. I don't know, there business and stores are just boring to me and they need to upgrade their poop(you know what I mean).
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I saw they where entering the medical business to.
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I saw they where entering the medical business to.
Great, I already have to wait in long enough at the Doctor, or they going to have self checkout, I mean checkups. :wink:
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

pkiphd wrote:I saw they where entering the medical business to.
Are you serious? That's just wrong and kind of ironic from what you here in the news about their health care short falls. What is this world coming too? -shakes head and walks away-
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

"I believe Tony has some Ribeyes on sale, 2 for $10, back at the Meat Counter. And Dr. Simmons just came up to say that he has pollup removal on special, 5 for $10...."
michaelsjewel
Home Owners Association

Post by michaelsjewel »

well - i heard there's tons of target's moving in as well to the omaha area - but i don't see anyone complaining about that either....

considering that target does the same practices that walmart does - just that target sells some more higher priced goods (higher quality 2) - doesn't mean they charge as much as they should on mussimo -

their high brands used to costs way more before they moved to target - same thing happened when joe boxer came to k-mart - those retail stores (target - kmart - walmart) - pushed for lowing pricing - and that's what u can get even @ target -

so when u say that target and kmart are less evil than walmart - i'd rethink what you're saying - all companies do this - not just walmart - walmart just seems to be the biggest company -
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Market Pointe slated for October opening
Papillion Times wrote:Crews have been working for several weeks on the 55-acre Market Pointe project at 72nd Street and Giles Road. Walls on the Wal-Mart Supercenter and Lowe's Home Improvement store are being constructed, and work on the Kohl's department store is scheduled to begin soon, said Owen Buckley, the project's developer....

Shadow Lake Towne Center, the significantly larger retail project at 72nd and Highway 370 will not be ready to open this fall, said construction manager Brian Krouse....

Shadow Lake Towne Center is slated for an early spring 2007 opening, Krouse said.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I have pictures of all of this I took Friday, hopefully I will have time Sunday to post all of them. The Kohls building suffered some serious damage in the Great Papio f0 tornado, I have a picture of that too.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Kohls is under way also, however suffered a setback as last weeks Tornado knocked part of one wall down (visable on the right), as well as some scaffolding.

The Tornado also knocked down this High Voltage line next to the Kohl's Building.

adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Nice shot's as always. They showed the scaffolding and part of the wall knocked down on the news. I guess they haven't got it cleaned up yet.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Yeah, I drove under that power line on the way home from work... I was kind of surprised they didn't divert traffic. We actually had a piece of our roof peeled back at work. If an F4 ever hits my building... we're all going to die. There were numerous cars with broken windows in our parking lot... from gravel being thrown off the roof.

Nice coverage Brad!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Once again - Thanks Brad. This tour of yours really turned into a gem for us!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

jhuston wrote:Yeah, I drove under that power line on the way home from work... I was kind of surprised they didn't divert traffic. We actually had a piece of our roof peeled back at work. If an F4 ever hits my building... we're all going to die. There were numerous cars with broken windows in our parking lot... from gravel being thrown off the roof.

Nice coverage Brad!
Where do you work, what kind of building is it?
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Your work is a nice looking building, too bad it didn't hit that bad looking area to the south where all those industrial buildings are, closer to 370.
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

MTO wrote:Where do you work, what kind of building is it?
I'm going to guess InfoUSA? Since I heard of the same damage happening there...
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Well apparently he didn’t want to tell me. Now I know he hates me but its not like am going to stalk him.
15-17, 26, 32
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

If I hated you Jake, I wouldn't even bother to reply to a one of the half dozen or so private messages you send me every day. :P

And yes... InfoUSA is correct.
djcrazyglow
New to the Neighborhood

Post by djcrazyglow »

Last edited by djcrazyglow on Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.