Heritage Plaza - Best Buy - BWW (75 & Dodge)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Re: Best Buy (75 & Dodge) former Toys R Us

Post by garyomaha »

I hope their TV and audio department is far from the common wall with Charleston's. Or that there's a triple-thick wall separating them.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Official opening date March 18th.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Not the best time of day for this shot, but all I have time for today:
BPHusker
Home Owners Association

Post by BPHusker »

When does this new location open?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Uffda wrote:Official opening date March 18th.

BPHusker wrote:When does this new location open?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
lisanstan
Library Board

Post by lisanstan »

We went to the new Best Buy on Thursday. They had a million employees working. The store was mostly complete. Not sure if the few empty display spots is due to the larger size and not having the inventory from the other store? It felt huge in there.
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

They had a million employees working.
Wow. Doesn't that make them the largest employer in Omaha?
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Funny how the Best Buy website shows the the store front for the Dodge Street location as looking like this. Was this how the front of the old location looked? I never paid attention to it. I like the look of this better than the "point."
Attachments
BB.PNG
BB.PNG (138.43 KiB) Viewed 3455 times
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Forgive me for briefly stealing this thread. I swear somebody mentioned what was going on at 72nd and Military, I can't find that post to save my life. Anybody?
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Busguy2010 wrote:Forgive me for briefly stealing this thread. I swear somebody mentioned what was going on at 72nd and Military, I can't find that post to save my life. Anybody?
Freddy's Frozen Custard and steak burgers...

http://eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f ... rd#p244232

Back to Best Buy....went there yesterday to by a VGA to HDMI adapter. Advice, don't go at dinner time. I'm not one to complain about parking, but spaces were almost non-existent with Charleston's right next door to the south and Buffalo Wild Wings to the North. Store was nice though, although smaller than the old one.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

GetUrban wrote:
Back to Best Buy....went there yesterday to by a VGA to HDMI adapter. Advice, don't go at dinner time. I'm not one to complain about parking, but spaces were almost non-existent with Charleston's right next door to the south and Buffalo Wild Wings to the North. Store was nice though, although smaller than the old one.
Yeah I have gone to BWW's on sundays to watch NFL and there is no parking. That is probably going to be the biggest downside from the previous location. They only have about 1/4 of the parking now.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Haha I drove by today and thought damn finally a fully used parking lot. That complex was full almost all the way to the gas station this afternoon.
schumatt
Home Owners Association

Post by schumatt »

I stopped into the new store Friday night. The layout seemed very disjoined and definitely unfinished. I don't remember any overhead signage for the departments, and it seemed like some of the items had little to no planning for where they were. I had to go to three different places to find various models of over-the-air TV antennas. PC software was in a random aisle next to the TVs. It really felt like they were rushed to get all the merchandise in, so hopefully it's just temporary as they get everything moved around.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

The parking situation will be really interesting come holiday time. People will definitely have to park across the street, and I bet Hobby Lobby, Verizon, and BK won't like that.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

schumatt wrote:I stopped into the new store Friday night. The layout seemed very disjoined and definitely unfinished. I don't remember any overhead signage for the departments, and it seemed like some of the items had little to no planning for where they were. I had to go to three different places to find various models of over-the-air TV antennas. PC software was in a random aisle next to the TVs. It really felt like they were rushed to get all the merchandise in, so hopefully it's just temporary as they get everything moved around.
I agree, it was a pain to find anything in there. Maybe that is their new strategy to get you to buy something you weren't necessarily looking for.

Does anyone know for sure how this new store compares in square footage to the old one? It seems smaller, but that might be because it is not as deep. It could be wider though. On DCGIS, it looks like the old one was about 46,000 sf. The new one looks to be 36,000 if you subtract out Charleston's.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Maybe merchandisers haven't been by yet to set the layout?
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Did they move because of the Crossroads development? That's what I always kind of thought... Anyways, I'm so glad that Charleston's butts-up against a much nicer-looking business now. I thought it looked HORRIBLE before (especially since it is a fancy joint).
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

GetUrban wrote:
Does anyone know for sure how this new store compares in square footage to the old one? It seems smaller, but that might be because it is not as deep. It could be wider though. On DCGIS, it looks like the old one was about 46,000 sf. The new one looks to be 36,000 if you subtract out Charleston's.
I was told by someone that has worked there for quite awhile that the new one is bigger than the old one.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

The car audio installation department went from 2 bays in the old store down to just 1 bay in the new place.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nativeomahan wrote:The car audio installation department went from 2 bays in the old store down to just 1 bay in the new place.
Are car stereos really as big as they were 10-15 years ago?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:The car audio installation department went from 2 bays in the old store down to just 1 bay in the new place.
Thats what I was wondering...I can't imagine that many people get aftermarket stereos installed in their cars these days.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

skinzfan23 wrote:
Brad wrote:
Thats what I was wondering...I can't imagine that many people get aftermarket stereos installed in their cars these days.
Exactly - I've always put in an aftermarket stereo in order to connect my iPhone. But now that they come with this connection standard, there's really no reason for me to do it next time around.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Uffda wrote:
GetUrban wrote:
I was told by someone that has worked there for quite awhile that the new one is bigger than the old one.

That's interesting. I know Best Buy has actually been decreasing the square footage on their stores as they go forward. I big part of it is they no longer need the space for cd's and such from what they used to have.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Went there last night. Definitely good sized for a newer Best Buy. Surprised they are claiming it's bigger than it's predecessor though, seemed about 20-25 per cent smaller to me though.

When they opened the original I had just graduated from college and took a part time job there from pre opening through that Xmas. They kept trying to get me to go full time and make a career out of it. Was not for me but it was cool. Best Buy was just getting ready to go national. They were talking about how cell phones were going to blow up, home computers and such. They were so accurate.

I had a friend at NFM. They predicted that Best Buy would not last. That they be gone in 6 months to a year. Thought they'd be like the furniture stores that they had driven out of business. NFM could not have been more wrong. Best Buy made NFM up their game. Brought electronics out of their basement and MegaMart was born.

Greg
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Greg S wrote:Went there last night. Definitely good sized for a newer Best Buy. Surprised they are claiming it's bigger than it's predecessor though, seemed about 20-25 per cent smaller to me though.
I'm pretty sure it is smaller. I do not work there though.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
Greg S wrote:Went there last night. Definitely good sized for a newer Best Buy. Surprised they are claiming it's bigger than it's predecessor though, seemed about 20-25 per cent smaller to me though.
I'm pretty sure it is smaller. I do not work there though.
36,000 SF new, 46,000 SF old...if you look at the square footages given on the DC treasurer's site (subtracting out Charlestons.)
Coyote
City Council

Re: Heritage Plaza - Best Buy - BWW (75 & Dodge)

Post by Coyote »

The Buffalo Wild Wings north of Best Buy is getting a major 200k+ renovation.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

There appears to have been some storefront added to the southeast corner of the Best Buy/Charlseston's building. One was something "Grill & Poke" and I couldn't tell what the other said. Far as I remember there weren't any storefronts on that corner before. Maybe they added them during the Best Bur remodel and I never noticed them since they never been occupied.

Anybody know anything about these/how long they've been there?
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Busguy2010 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:12 pm There appears to have been some storefront added to the southeast corner of the Best Buy/Charlseston's building. One was something "Grill & Poke" and I couldn't tell what the other said. Far as I remember there weren't any storefronts on that corner before. Maybe they added them during the Best Bur remodel and I never noticed them since they never been occupied.

Anybody know anything about these/how long they've been there?
They are both fairly recent. One, like you said is another poke place, bit they also have grilled item in addition to the traditional raw fish. The second place is freezing moo a rolled ice cream place.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Poké is becoming either very popular or just very trendy. Last year it was ramen.
ScrattyB
Library Board

Post by ScrattyB »

nativeomahan wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:12 pm Last year it was ramen.
Ramen, trendy? It's just that we didn't really have any ramen options in Omaha. Now we do. For some reason they decided to build several in a short time span. IMO, the ramen at Westroads is still the best.
I can't comment on Poke though. I think the demographics for poke and ramen are completely different.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I like both ramen and poke. When it comes to food there is not much I don’t like. Okay, fondue.