Heritage Plaza - Best Buy - BWW (75 & Dodge)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Heritage Plaza - Best Buy - BWW (75 & Dodge)

Post by Brad »

According to KETV, the Toys R Us at 76th and Dodge is closing.
lisanstan
Library Board

Re: Toys R Us is closing

Post by lisanstan »

I was surprised last weekend to see the people on the Dodge holding "Closing Sale" signs for Toys "R" Us. maybe with Charleston's in place they can make that area look a little less trashy. that is just a dirty looking strip mall.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

If/when Crossroads gets redeveloped I expect that entire strip mall except for the new Charleston's to go away fo something better.
Brad
City Council

Best Buy Moving in???

Post by Brad »

At the very end of the Grow Omaha Radio program, Jeff and Trenton mention that Best Buy could possibly be taking over the Toys R Us spot to make room for Crossroads Mall Renovations.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

lisanstan wrote:I was surprised last weekend to see the people on the Dodge holding "Closing Sale" signs for Toys "R" Us. maybe with Charleston's in place they can make that area look a little less trashy. that is just a dirty looking strip mall.
Toys R' US probably sold the store to an asset liquidation firm. People holding shaker board signs and whatnot is standard operating procedure when a liquidation firm is running the show.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
BPHusker
Home Owners Association

Re: Best Buy Moving in???

Post by BPHusker »

Brad wrote:At the very end of the Grow Omaha Radio program, Jeff and Trenton mention that Best Buy could possibly be taking over the Toys R Us spot to make room for Crossroads Mall Renovations.
I was wondering what they'd do with the Best Buy when the Crossroads stuff starts. I guess this is an option. I was hoping they'd take over the old Bag N Save building and expand to make some Super Best Buy store, but it never happened. I did see they were moving the store on 48th and R in Lincoln to 70th and O to move to a 'smaller' store. Not sure why they would do that since that 48th and R store is probably the Best one I've been to because of the size of it.
Greg S
City Council

Re: Toys R Us is closing - Best Buy Moving in???

Post by Greg S »

You won't see Best Buy doing any more of their large format stores like the one on 70th in Lincoln. They are phasing those out. They were built that way in the 90's to accommodate large media sections for CD's and DVD's. With iTunes, movie streaming and such, that space just isn't needed anymore. With Amazon and on-line sites attacking them, Best Buy just can't compete on price and maintain such large stores and pay rent on that amount of square footage. Too bad, I enjoyed shopping in them back in the day.

Greg
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Greg S wrote:You won't see Best Buy doing any more of their large format stores like the one on 70th in Lincoln.  They are phasing those out.  They were built that way in the 90's to accommodate large media sections for CD's and DVD's.  With iTunes, movie streaming and such, that space just isn't needed anymore.  With Amazon and on-line sites attacking them, Best Buy just can't compete on price and maintain such large stores and pay rent on that amount of square footage.  Too bad, I enjoyed shopping in them back in the day.

Greg
I am amazed that Radio Shack is still around.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Since Radio Shack has their own brand (Tandy) I have to wonder if that keeps them afloat, but does Best Buy? Sears has their own, which probably is their only saving brand.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Coyote wrote:Since Radio Shack has their own brand (Tandy) I have to wonder if that keeps them afloat, but does Best Buy? Sears has their own, which probably is their only saving brand.
I believe that Best Buy has Rocketfish, Dynek and Insignia.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Well what I just heard was that the crossroads developer wants all the land that has Applebee's best buy toys r us etc is on. I guess sears is a issue because of their 100 year lease they are demanding the developer build them a new building.
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

MTO wrote:Well what I just heard was that the crossroads developer wants all the land that has Applebee's best buy toys r us etc is on. I guess sears is a issue because of their 100 year lease they are demanding the developer build them a new building.
It was announced a while ago that Sears would move in to a Temporary location during construction

Its been know they want the rest of that land, that's why they denied that Hobby Lobby that was going to build next to best buy.

Not sure what Applebee's would do. Its the biggest store in Omaha and back in the day, one of the busiest too. However the building is 20 years old now and they do build different style stores. Most locations are also a lot smaller now too. Wonder if they price is right, they wouldn't build a new location within the new development?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Best Buy is moving here.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

iamjacobm wrote:Best Buy is moving here.
A little more visibility from Dodge Street might help them get more business.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I would imagine the space is smaller too.

Now we need to find a use for the old Bag & Save.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

iamjacobm wrote:I would imagine the space is smaller too.

The place looked horrible inside and out, and the lot is kind of weird. I think they'd be better just tearing the place down and making a new little strip mall in there.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

RNcyanide wrote:

The place looked horrible inside and out, and the lot is kind of weird. I think they'd be better just tearing the place down and making a new little strip mall in there.
I thought that the Best Buy/Bag N Save building was going to be part of the Crossroads redevelopment and that it would be demolished?
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Sorry I meant the Bag and Save that closed that was I further west behind the Burger King.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:

I thought that the Best Buy/Bag N Save building was going to be part of the Crossroads redevelopment and that it would be demolished?
Not that I'm aware of.

The Bride
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

I'm trying to remember what that Bag/Best Buy building originated as. I do remember that it closed down, and then they build two additions on the ends, and split it down the middle. The Bag and Save side used to be the Brandeis furniture store, back before Younkers bought out Brandeis (and Mrs. B plundered the furniture market in town).

If someone is going to demolish the Sears store and build new, the Best Buy/Bag building would be an obvious candidate for tearing down and building new.
BPHusker
Home Owners Association

Post by BPHusker »

HskrFanMike wrote:I'm trying to remember what that Bag/Best Buy building originated as. I do remember that it closed down, and then they build two additions on the ends, and split it down the middle. The Bag and Save side used to be the Brandeis furniture store, back before Younkers bought out Brandeis (and Mrs. B plundered the furniture market in town).

If someone is going to demolish the Sears store and build new, the Best Buy/Bag building would be an obvious candidate for tearing down and building new.
I think Best Buy was "Children's Palace." I remember going there as a kid. Does anyone remember when Best Buy moved in?
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

The current best buy building and the empty store next to it are slated to be part of the new crossroads. The strip mall where best buy is going will not be part of it.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Hobby Lobby wanted to build on the Bag N' Save lot, but Crossroads' owner blocked it.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

jessep28 wrote:Hobby Lobby wanted to build on the Bag N' Save lot, but Crossroads' owner blocked it.
Nice to see there's still a pulse on this project.

The Bride
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

RNcyanide wrote:
jessep28 wrote:Hobby Lobby wanted to build on the Bag N' Save lot, but Crossroads' owner blocked it.
Nice to see there's still a pulse on this project.
This was back in 2013 and Crossroads Redevelopment version 1.0.
TheSeventhBrat
Home Owners Association

Post by TheSeventhBrat »

BPHusker wrote:
HskrFanMike wrote:I'm trying to remember what that Bag/Best Buy building originated as. I do remember that it closed down, and then they build two additions on the ends, and split it down the middle. The Bag and Save side used to be the Brandeis furniture store, back before Younkers bought out Brandeis (and Mrs. B plundered the furniture market in town).

I think Best Buy was "Children's Palace." I remember going there as a kid. Does anyone remember when Best Buy moved in?
The building was originally Gulf Mart - kinda like a KMart/Target, then it became Handy Dan's. Gulf Mart and Handy Dan's were owned by the same company. The building that houses Pendleton on Fort Crook Road in Bellevue was also a Gulf Mart/Handy Dan's.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

Handy Dan's....that's a brand name I haven't heard in years. I remember that plaza then being a Children's Palace / World of Food combo, before becoming Best Buy / Bag and Save.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I remember that Gulf Mart place. We also bought furniture as a kid from the Brandeis Furniture store there.

Greg
TheSeventhBrat
Home Owners Association

Post by TheSeventhBrat »

NEDodger wrote:Handy Dan's....that's a brand name I haven't heard in years. I remember that plaza then being a Children's Palace / World of Food combo, before becoming Best Buy / Bag and Save.
Remembering Handy Dan's brought back bittersweet memories of tagging along with my dad on Saturday mornings to get whatever for his honey-do list. If I was good, he'd buy me a Mr Pibb out of the pop machine.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

TheSeventhBrat wrote:
NEDodger wrote:Handy Dan's....that's a brand name I haven't heard in years. I remember that plaza then being a Children's Palace / World of Food combo, before becoming Best Buy / Bag and Save.
Remembering Handy Dan's brought back bittersweet memories of tagging along with my dad on Saturday mornings to get whatever for his honey-do list. If I was good, he'd buy me a Mr Pibb out of the pop machine.

Mr Pibb. Your dad didn't like you ??? :;):
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
TheSeventhBrat
Home Owners Association

Post by TheSeventhBrat »

nebugeater wrote:
TheSeventhBrat wrote:

Mr Pibb. Your dad didn't like you ??? :;):
Dr Pepper wasn't available.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Greg S wrote:I remember that Gulf Mart place. We also bought furniture as a kid from the Brandeis Furniture store there.

Greg
You are bringing back long forgotten memories.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Back in the day, Brandeis has a toy department on 1st floor at Crossroads. When Christmas season arrived, they would expand it big time. I think the area they went in to for the expansion was sealed off the rest of the year. Later they would do it on the 2nd floor in the area above where you would drive under the mall on the north side of the building.

Greg
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

$1.2M remodel.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Construction has begun! Photo later today.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update:

Brad
City Council

Best Buy (75 & Dodge) former Toys R Us

Post by Brad »

They have the "Best Buy Point" on the front of the building now.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Best Buy (75 & Dodge) former Toys R Us

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Best Buy (75 & Dodge) former Toys R Us

Post by iamjacobm »

Signing up.