Candlewood Hills (122& Dodge)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Candlewood Hills (122& Dodge)

Post by Brad »

Redesign revs up plan for West Dodge project

http://www.omaha.com/article/20140111/M ... ge-project" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cindy Gonzalez / World-Herald staff writer wrote:
A long-delayed commercial and housing project to be built on what's left of Blumkin family property northwest of 122nd Street and West Dodge Road has revved up again.

Grading and other site preparation on the now-vacant 27 acres just west of Costco could begin this year, said Bob Begley of Lockwood Development, which intends to develop the site.

As proposed, an apartment complex, a three-story office building, a 10,000-square-foot bank and a 5,000-square-foot retail area would occupy the area. Construction of structures would wait, Begley said, until tenants are secured.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Re: Candlewood Hills (122& Dodge)

Post by guitarguy »

Gosh with this filling in now I wonder how much longer there will be any undeveloped land along Dodge St.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

guitarguy wrote:Gosh with this filling in now I wonder how much longer there will be any undeveloped land along Dodge St.
Not that it will or should happen, but it would be interesting to see how much the land that Boy's Town has is worth.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

iamjacobm wrote:
guitarguy wrote:Gosh with this filling in now I wonder how much longer there will be any undeveloped land along Dodge St.
Not that it will or should happen, but it would be interesting to see how much the land that Boy's Town has is worth.
Their farm to the west of 144th used to be useful for teaching kids some basic mechanics and carpentry. Now with child labor laws and the revolving door at that place, the kids are never there long enough to stabilize and be trusted with tools, and they are not allowed to work on the farm for fear of violating that law. That land is probably worth a couple of million raw. Though they should keep it as the pendulum of child protection is bound to change back.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

122th and Dodge

Still land available at 128th & W Dodge:

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Historic Parcel on Council's Table
WOWT wrote:they don't want the back entrance to come out on Burt Street and into the Candlewood neighborhood, believing drivers will use it as a Costco shortcut.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Put in a couple speed bumps and call it good. If I lived in Candlewood,I would be all over this entrance. You could get to Menards, Costo, and HyVee without hitting a main street.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

This one is more silly than many similar neighborhood complaints that I have seen. Its a driveway to an apartment complex. Technically you can drive through to the Costco but its only really a shortcut if your already in the neighborhood.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Brad wrote:Put in a couple speed bumps and call it good.  If I lived in Candlewood,I would be all over this entrance.  You could get to Menards, Costo, and HyVee without hitting a main street.
I agree. Candlewood is not the most efficiently layed out development anyway and anyone who has gone there more than once knows that its better to just go around. It will be nice for them to go out. I could see others using it as a back up, especially on Saturdays when the frontage road gets congested around Menards and Costco, so I don't know that I would dismiss their concern out of hand.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Despite neighbors' protests, redevelopment of Blumkin property gets City Council's OK
Erin Golden: World-Herald staff writer wrote:Tuesday, the council voted 6-1 to approve plans for a 27-acre project on the Blumkin family property near 122nd Street and West Dodge Road. The development, located near the Candlewood neighborhood, will include retail space, a bank, an office building and an apartment complex.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Is something being built between Tires Plus and the Fox N Hound in front of Menard's?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:Is something being built between Tires Plus and the Fox N Hound in front of Menard's?
You mean Discount Tire?
Brakes Plus
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

This apartment complex calls for a total of 327 units. Per discussion in a zoning board of appeals meeting in July 2015 159 units on the west side and 168 units on the east. Remaining issues before a permit can be issued appear to be driveway locations, an updated wetlands analysis and a property line v parking lot issue.
Habits76
Home Owners Association

Post by Habits76 »

I noticed over the past few weeks there has been some activity on this property. There was some bigger equipment on site as of this morning.
apsteingas
New to the Neighborhood

Post by apsteingas »

Anyone have any other information on this plan? Image
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Love it when developments go ahead while NIMBYs protest. And given how heavy commercial is on a W. Dodge frontage road I'm surprised how much residential this will be.
15-17, 26, 32
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

MTO wrote:Love it when developments go ahead while NIMBYs protest. And given how heavy commercial is on a W. Dodge frontage road I'm surprised how much residential this will be.
The apartments will be a bonus if they stay good. Section 8 or blue hair specials will further drag down the area. The retail space is unnecessary given the gross square feet of empty store fronts all around that area. The office space is probably a push in terms of helping or hurting the area.

Sometimes NIMBYs make good points and sometimes they don't.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Awesome!! I was just wondering what they are building there, as I'm noticing earth being moved around near the Costco. Finally...that is all filling in.

Sometimes, lots are unbuilt upon for so long, that you almost forget it is land to still build upon. You just get used to it being part of the landscape. It's kind of like that with those Dodge lots. Until they built Costco, I almost didn't notice there were lots there anymore. They are more noticeable to me looking at Google Maps (satellite view). For example, I never noticed the empty lot next to the Marriott Hotel in Regency, until Google Maps. It has been there so long, that you grew up around it, and you just don't notice it ...
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

apsteingas wrote:Anyone have any other information on this plan? Image
The lot listed as retail two lots west of Chick-fil-A is going to be be developed soon.
Haven't found out what yet...
aaaron
New to the Neighborhood

Post by aaaron »

They gotta do something about that frontage road if there's going to be even more development here.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Yawn. 65,000 square feet. Uninspired. This property along with the rest of the north side of Dodge from 120th to 132nd could have been used for so much more. At some point west Omaha will sink into the pit of mediocrity and if it already has it should sink to the 7th level.

http://www.lockwooddev.com/projects/candlewood/
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (143.36 KiB) Viewed 4491 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (154.72 KiB) Viewed 4491 times
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Add Panera Bread to the out lots.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I'm soo glad that big, empty lot is finally getting built on. Its been vacant so long, that it just blends in to the cityscape to me now -- almost like it is already occupied w/ something. And, yes , that Candlewood is kinda a "mouse trap", a long, stretched-out neighborhood strung between two major N-S streets, the crescent-shaped lake beautiful but causing inconvenience to always go around -- and, even more so, a neighborhood oddly hemmed-in by those big commercial lots to the south along West Dodge Road.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Hmmm. I seem to recall that a portion of this land was going to be developed for multi family housing, either apartments or condos.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nativeomahan wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:35 pm Hmmm. I seem to recall that a portion of this land was going to be developed for multi family housing, either apartments or condos.
Apartments, they are in the design phase now.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

And add T Mobile to the out lots
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

https://www.omaha.com/money/development ... be6e5.html
Going eastward, at a long-vacant site near 125th Street and West Dodge Road just west of the Costco store, a retail center is on track to be completed later this year, said Lockwood Development’s Bob Begley.

Tenants include T-Mobile, Blaze Pizza and a Panera Bread with a drive-through lane. A three-story office building to the north, behind the retail center, is likely to be built in the future, Begley said, but only after an anchor tenant comes forward.

Lockwood sold ground just west of the retail center to McNeil Co., which plans a 301-unit luxury apartment community called Park125 W. Dodge.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

The builders for the proposed Park 125 move pretty quickly. They have also done Park 120 Oak Hills, Westport on the Lake, Tuscany Apartments, & Montclair Village. So Candlewood Hills Phase 2 at 327 units is out and Park 125 at 301 units is replacing them. Thanks for the update.

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Add a new restaurant here. I think it is called Oma O Poke, or something like that.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Park 125 just applied for permits for 21 buildings.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

The Park125 Apartments are marketing a June 2021 opening.