Flanagan Lake

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

EricHaley
Human Relations

Re: Dam Site 15A (168th and Fort)

Post by EricHaley »

Lakey McLakeface?
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

EricHaley wrote:Lakey McLakeface?
How about: That Dam Park?
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

ricko wrote:
EricHaley wrote:Lakey McLakeface?
How about: That Dam Park?
Taxpayers Park
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Lake Trees In or Lake Treason

or

Lake Artificial
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Lake Uffda

:D
EricHaley
Human Relations

Post by EricHaley »

I’ve got $20 on Lake Orozco
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

EricHaley wrote:I’ve got $20 on Lake Orozco
I support that name 100%
#gohawks
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Fixed the links to the older photos I posted on page 2.

Photo Update from 5/30/2017:

1. Downstream face of the dam was seeded

2. You can see the bike trail now on top of the dam and the rock rip-rap added to the upstream side of the dam. The lake level will eventually be in that rick rip-rap area.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

EricHaley wrote:I’ve got $20 on Lake Orozco
There's a five year waiting period after a person is deceased to be eligible, unless they gave a bunch of money (emphasis mine).
City ordinance 38803 specifically outlines the process for naming public property:

“Upon an application for a naming or renaming of a park property, any person or body reviewing, providing a recommendation on, or disposing of such an application shall take into consideration the following criteria:

(a) In naming or renaming city park property, consideration shall be primarily given to the following purposes: to honor and commemorate noteworthy persons associated with the city; to celebrate local history, places, events or culture; to strengthen neighborhood identity; or to recognize native wildlife, flora, fauna or natural features related to the community and the city.

(b) If an application is made to name or rename public park property after an individual,

this person shall have

(1) Demonstrated excellence of contributions to the city's development, community service, personal sacrifice for public service or national defense, or efforts to foster equality among the citizens of the city.

(2) Historical significance locally, nationally or globally with significant local or regional ties.

(c) Denial of an application may be appropriate if such naming or renaming may tend to bring disrepute upon the community for any reason, or would not be looked upon favorably by a majority of city residents.

(d) Titles, rank, or religious designations shall not be allowed on a public park property named for an individual. A nickname will also not be allowed, unless such person is best known by that nickname.

(e) In the case of naming or renaming a park or natural environmental feature after any person, such naming or renaming shall be prohibited until the person has been deceased for a period of at least five years. As an exception to this provision, the name of such person may be approved if such person shall have provided direct significant contributions of lands, funds, goods or services to the city, and/or parks and recreation department, or is being recognized for a foundation gift(s), and if such naming or renaming receives unanimous votes of approval by the parks advisory board and the city council.”

Other dam sites developed by the NRD and managed by the Omaha Parks, Recreation and Public Property Department include:

Zorinsky, named for former United States Senator and Omaha Mayor Ed Zorinsky

Standing Bear, named for Ponca Chief Standing Bear

Cunningham, named for former U.S. Congressman and Omaha Mayor Glenn Cunningham

Youngman, named for Omaha World-Herald war correspondent Lawrence Youngman. Youngman’s daughter was a principal donor to the park.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

I think it should be called: The Lake that should have been built to accommodate larger boats.

Also, anyone else notice that when Zorinksy was built, it was built so that houses could get closer to the water, while today it seems that all of our lakes are built with larger park areas surrounding them.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

mcarch wrote:Also, anyone else notice that when Zorinksy was built, it was built so that houses could get closer to the water, while today it seems that all of our lakes are built with larger park areas surrounding them.
I think once Prairie Queen gets built out, its going to seem a lot closer than it does now.
I also think the same is for Standing Bear, once the north side is developed.
Zornski also has a ton of green space on the west end. That area around 180th street goes all the way back to 189th Street
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

What’s in a name? A possible snub, say NRD board members miffed about naming of new park

http://www.omaha.com/outdoors/what-s-in ... de0e6.html
Natalia Alamdari / World-Herald staff writer wrote:The City of Omaha’s call this month for the public to suggest names for a new park came as an unexpected blow for some members of the Papio-Missouri River Natural Resources District board.

The board had already suggested a name to the city six months earlier.
Natalia Alamdari / World-Herald staff writer wrote:recommending that the site be named after Dr. Susan La Flesche Picotte
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I guess I have to agree with most of the comments with the story.

The agreement they made with the city in advance gave the city the naming rights.

The NRD quote says " we did all the work"

The City opened it to suggestions from the public.

Isn't it the public $$ paying for this so whats wrong with some public suggestions?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

nebugeater wrote:I guess I have to agree with most of the comments with the story.

The agreement they made with the city in advance gave the city the naming rights.

Isn't it the public $$ paying for this so whats wrong with some public suggestions?
I don't think there's anything wrong with public suggestions, but I really hope if the city names it after someone, it's a person of significant historical importance worthy of a landmark. I would be embarrassed if it was named after a football star or a mere politician. I think the idea of naming it after the first native American medical doctor is brilliant. I had no idea that she existed before I read the article. Omaha needs to embrace its native American heritage. I think we need to frequently remind ourselves that without the Omaha tribe, Omaha city would not exist.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

nebugeater wrote:I guess I have to agree with most of the comments with the story.

Exactly what I was going to say!
#gohawks
jlincoln
New to the Neighborhood

Post by jlincoln »

Sorry, that the name of the first Native American Woman doctor in the United States isn't good enough for Omaha. Oh Omaha, I wonder where that name came from?
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

jlincoln wrote:Sorry, that the name of the first Native American Woman doctor in the United States isn't good enough for Omaha. Oh Omaha, I wonder where that name came from?
If you read the whole article, it was noted that there is already a school and a park named for her here in Omaha. This is a pissing contest between the NRD and the city. The NRD built it, but then dumped all future maintenance, development, and security on the city and they think that their money should get them naming rights, even though they expressly gave that right to the city.

The Mayor's office opened up naming to the citizens who all really paid for it and who really will pay for it going forward. Frankly, we should name this "Taxpayer's Park."
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

bigredmed1 wrote:
jlincoln wrote:Sorry, that the name of the first Native American Woman doctor in the United States isn't good enough for Omaha. Oh Omaha, I wonder where that name came from?
If you read the whole article, it was noted that there is already a school and a park named for her here in Omaha. This is a pissing contest between the NRD and the city. The NRD built it, but then dumped all future maintenance, development, and security on the city and they think that their money should get them naming rights, even though they expressly gave that right to the city.

The Mayor's office opened up naming to the citizens who all really paid for it and who really will pay for it going forward. Frankly, we should name this "Taxpayer's Park."

Yeah, the Mayor got hammered a bit during the election for not being more open with the taxpayers. I think this in part is a reaction to that (as well as more dollars going to street repairs in latest budget).

Greg
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Greg S wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote:

Yeah, the Mayor got hammered a bit during the election for not being more open with the taxpayers. I think this in part is a reaction to that (as well as more dollars going to street repairs in latest budget).

Greg
I don't know about that. Not enough data. I do feel that the NRD is run by good ol boys who think that they get some fed money and can build a dam where ever their Eminent Domain and fear of flooding will take them and then either give it some odd name like "Prairie Queen" or name it after one of their buddies (Wehrspann) and get away with it. In this case, they want the citizens of Omaha to eat the park costs now and forever, but still get to pull the strings on it. They lost. Time for them to move on.

LaFlesche was a remarkable woman and physician. She is a role model to a lot of people. We have a park and a school named for her. We should have scholarship funds at CU and UNMC in her honor (if we don't already), but naming this after her just doesn't connect. How about naming it after the family screwed out of the most land to build this large pond?
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

bigredmed1 wrote:
Greg S wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote:

Greg
I don't know about that. Not enough data. I do feel that the NRD is run by good ol boys who think that they get some fed money and can build a dam where ever their Eminent Domain and fear of flooding will take them and then either give it some odd name like "Prairie Queen" or name it after one of their buddies (Wehrspann) and get away with it. In this case, they want the citizens of Omaha to eat the park costs now and forever, but still get to pull the strings on it. They lost. Time for them to move on.

LaFlesche was a remarkable woman and physician. She is a role model to a lot of people. We have a park and a school named for her. We should have scholarship funds at CU and UNMC in her honor (if we don't already), but naming this after her just doesn't connect. How about naming it after the family screwed out of the most land to build this large pond?

I'm not real up on the story but I think the Wehrspann's owned a big farm and donated most of the land where Wehrspann Lake and Chalco Hills Recreation Area is. If that is the case then that lake was named well.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote:
Greg S wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote:

Greg

I'm not real up on the story but I think the Wehrspann's owned a big farm and donated most of the land where Wehrspann Lake and Chalco Hills Recreation Area is. If that is the case then that lake was named well.
Fair enough
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

To echo some early sentiments: I can't believe that they are whining about the naming rights. Did they forget who pays for not only the site but also their salaries? I can't stand people like this that find it so easy to spend someone else's money and then take credit for something that came out of it. People like this really get me fired up. The money comes from taxpayers, let them decide.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I like the suggestion in today's OWH, name it after Father Flanagan. Flanagan Lake.

Greg
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

Greg S wrote:I like the suggestion in today's OWH, name it after Father Flanagan. Flanagan Lake.

Greg
This seems like an easy winner.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Lake Flanagan sounds better.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Coyote wrote:Lake Flanagan sounds better.
I agree
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I had some co-workers tour the new lake yesterday, I was too busy so I didn't join them. The lake was originally scheduled to be done today (open next spring), but they are still finishing up some punch list items. Funny story, apparently they stopped working this spring for a week because of all the rain. When they came back after the week off, a robin had built a nest on the new bridge so then they were not allowed to work on the bridge until the eggs hatched and the robins left. However after a couple weeks a coyote got the nest so the got back to work on the bridge.

They stocked large mouth bass today:
15A.JPG
15A.JPG (99.99 KiB) Viewed 3905 times
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Flanagan Lake is being proposed to the City Council
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Coyote wrote:Flanagan Lake is being proposed to the City Council
good call!
Brad
City Council

Re: Flanagan Lake

Post by Brad »

Photo Update:

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Brad wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:38 pm It opened like a month ago?
So what are you saying?
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I would drive out there and check on that lake last summer. Glad to see it is all done finally. I like that area. That flood control is so important. I read that lake lowers people's flood insurance rates in the area.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Brad wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:38 pm It opened like a month ago?
Article is from the end of June.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

578 multifamily units NW of 168th and Fort, right by the lake.

https://cityclerk.cityofomaha.org/image ... -0324a.pdf
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

319 Units Flanagan Pointe. Five buildings of townhomes. Each unit described as a 4 story townhome over a 2 car garage. 180th & Fort.

U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

My google maps insists on calling this area "Jefferson Nebraska". It calls areas south of Ida St. Bennington. Areas to the west Elkhorn and occasionally pops up McArdle Nebraska. I haven't seen the Jefferson or McArdle references before. Were there towns here or is a a goggle glitch?
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

2 car garages plus all that extra parking? Not very attractive
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Taco wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:35 am 2 car garages plus all that extra parking? Not very attractive
Well, if you have company come over they wouldn't have anywhere to park. Plus its West-ish Omaha, you're gonna get parking whether you like it or not.