West Maple Super Wal-Mart

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Sodak
Home Owners Association

West Maple Super Wal-Mart

Post by Sodak »

The World Herald reports that Wal-Mart has purchased land in the Thomsen Mile development at 168th and West Maple. Looks like a Wal-Mart Supercenter will be built there (as previously reported).

How many more do you think Omaha can support?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

It does seem ridiculous with all the Wal-Marts. Is their no other large retailer like Wal-Mart to choose from for variety's sake? I ts good to see Wal-Mart thinks we can support one, but I would like something besides wal-mart.
DTO
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

DTO... you're not alone.
sokkerdewd
Home Owners Association

Post by sokkerdewd »

I suppose it's feasible that the area could support one more...perhaps in North Omaha at Main & McKinley or Pershing & Craig. The northeast side as a whole is very underserved retail & entertainment-wise, and the lower-middle class that makes up the majority demographic of the area would seem to match up well with that of a Walmart.
sokkerdewd
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

your right about it being underserved sokkerdewd. I used to live on 33rd and Ames and would go to CB stores because it is usually quicker thn to go out west somewhere.
DTO
Raraavis
Library Board

Post by Raraavis »

I have read that Walmart believes that in dense urban or suburban areas they can have a successful Super Walmart every 6 miles. Let's pray this is never the case.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I can just picture the westO walmart skyline now.
I think that is outrageous that their could be a walmart every six miles.
DTO
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Hello!? .. we're practically already there!

You've got the one at 180th and West Center... which would only be 5 miles from 168th and West Maple. 132nd and L will only be 4 1/2 miles from 180th and West Center. Blair High Rd and 680 is about 8 miles from 168th and West Maple. 72nd and Harrison will be about 6 1/2 miles from 132nd and L. The Bellevue store is only about 7 miles from THAT. And the Council Bluffs store only probably only 7-8 miles from there as the bird flies.

I guess that only leaves northeast Omaha alright. Look out Florence!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

J,

I had no idea it was that bad since I don't usaually go past 680. That seems unbelievable :o . Do these stores all look like Wal-Mart or has the over zeolous Omaha-By-Design army stepped in to cambat banality.
DTO
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I think the one at Blair High Rd and 680 doesn't look too bad with it's brick facade... but has anyone seen the 132nd and L store? (or is that the Sam's Club on the western most end?)... it's is horribly ugly... the painted blocks on the sides and rear.
Sodak
Home Owners Association

Post by Sodak »

Sam's Club is the westermost box at 132nd and L. The Super Wal-Mart is the middle box. Actually, I think that Super Wal-Mart will look somewhat similar to the Irvington store.

At least its earth tone, I guess....if that help soften a 200,000 square foot box! :wink: