Central library at Do Space (72 & Dodge)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Re: Do Space (former 72nd St. Borders Store)

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:Can't wait to see the board installed...the exterior hasn't really changed at all in 2 months.
... And it's going up right now!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:Can't wait to see the board installed...the exterior hasn't really changed at all in 2 months.
... And it's going up right now!
ask and you shall receive.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I noticed that this morning too. They had 2 or 3 segments of the huge video display panel up on the corner of the building. Can't wait to see it in action. They've been finishing up the exterior metal and translucent panels the last few weeks.

I hope the Crossroads sign on the NW corner of 72nd & Dodge goes away soon...it blocks the view of Do from south-bound 72nd, north of the intersection.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

GetUrban wrote:I noticed that this morning too. They had 2 or 3 segments of the huge video display panel up on the corner of the building. Can't wait to see it in action. They've been finishing up the exterior metal and translucent panels the last few weeks.

I hope the Crossroads sign on the NW corner of 72nd & Dodge goes away soon...it blocks the view of Do from south-bound 72nd, north of the intersection.
What that awesome sign from the 80's. I would never want to see that thing removed. :lol:
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

skinzfan23 wrote:
GetUrban wrote:I noticed that this morning too. They had 2 or 3 segments of the huge video display panel up on the corner of the building. Can't wait to see it in action. They've been finishing up the exterior metal and translucent panels the last few weeks.

What that awesome sign from the 80's. I would never want to see that thing removed. :lol:
I've noticed that the eastbound portion of the digital board has not worked for a while now. If they can't get it to work, then they should just remove it. It probably looked really cool back in the day, but now just looks run down like the rest of Crossroads.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

It's an analog in a digital world, surprised the don't-tear-it-down crybabies aren't here defending it.
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update:

MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

So are those black panels being installed components to the Dotmatrix board?
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

MTO wrote:So are those black panels being installed components to the Dotmatrix board?
LOL… And the big box of perforated paper goes right up behind it on the roof
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

They are matrix panels!
15-17, 26, 32
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

15-17, 26, 32
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

15-17, 26, 32
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Noticed on my way home that they had an image on the video board. I was going east, so didn't get that good of a look at it, but from what I saw from the portion facing north, it looks really cool.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

They were showing the rendering. It's amazing how good the image looks in person. Super crisp.

View from northbound 72nd at Dodge. Sorry for the crappy, rainy pic...I didn't roll my window down.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I saw it lit up last night too...it does look very sharp and clear. It will be interesting to see what kinds of things the put on the video board.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

They literally have red carpet rolled out in the parking lot, velvet crowd control ropes, and valet parking going on tonight at the do space.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Some kind of VIP event, apparently. Red carpet, velvet ropes, and brass. How tacky next to that slick-designed cutting-edge building renovation. Funny how that is always the default decor for VIP events. :roll:
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I have driven by a couple of times recently. I am glad how the exterior of the building looks. I think a few more windows would have helped, but I am glad to see this corner put to use again. I still wish we could have seen something similar to the grand design that was proposed for that intersection 10 years ago. Instead we ended up with a bunch of fast food restaurants and a pet store remaining.
msauers
New to the Neighborhood

Post by msauers »

Hello everyone. We've unlocked the doors and you're welcome to come in, take a look, and help us beta test the space this week. We're open 9am-9pm so stop on by when you get a chance.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

msauers wrote:Hello everyone. We've unlocked the doors and you're welcome to come in, take a look, and help us beta test the space this week. We're open 9am-9pm so stop on by when you get a chance.
Fantastic!

Thanks for stopping by :)
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

msauers wrote:Hello everyone. We've unlocked the doors and you're welcome to come in, take a look, and help us beta test the space this week. We're open 9am-9pm so stop on by when you get a chance.
Thank you for the invitation Travelin Librarian! You may just see me there! Soon. I hear the Grand Opening is on Saturday?
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

A workshop for people to learn and create...

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/a-works ... l?mode=jqm
lonnie
Library Board

Post by lonnie »

I find this "Do Space" idea quite interesting, and Kudos to those risking a lot of money to try to encourage people to learn.

Though I am somewhat puzzled by their evolutionary approach of creating a "library of computers" rather than a revolutionary approach of incubating projects.

The only real new idea the "Do Space" offers is a 3D printer lab.

I'd like to see less computers (people can bring their own) and more Make: style projects http://makezine.com where project parts would be available to play with as well as purchase to take home.

Wouldn't it be cool if the "Do Space" was an Omaha "Adafruit" https://www.adafruit.com where all kinds of cool parts and gizmos were available to play with and purchase. Users can create videos documenting their project's progress.

Being a not for profit, how about the "Do Space" offering a Kickstarter-like donation page where patrons could support projects. This process teaches real-world skills; English language, web layout, video creation, formulating design goals in addition to the actual project.

I personally spend many hours every day collaborating on open source software projects with people from around the world, no multi-million dollar "Do Space" required. Though when it comes to learning about hardware and making physical gizmos, a place to meet like the "Do Space" can be vital.

I look forward to see the "Do Space" evolve and grow, and hopefully the founders are not satisfied with being just a "library of computers".
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Got new library cards specifically for this location last week, was kind of surprised.
Jason4225
Home Owners Association

Post by Jason4225 »

I took my kids there on Saturday and I was impressed with the space. MCC had a lot of demos set up on the second floor that were interesting. My 11 year old son was very excited about the 3d printing lab and the teen space that had PS4 and Xbox One available to play on 4 screens. He said it was a place that finally "got" him. I agree with Lonnie in that it will be interesting to see how the space evolves. They said there will be a Dunkin Donuts attached in the future and you will be able to bring drinks and food into the building. I like that they will be offering free classes on many subjects including the 3d printing.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

I guess I am a bit confused and need to visit the property. I am not sure what is revolutionary; it has computers and a 3d printer.... perhaps more I'm just not aware. I took my kids to the CB library and we printed a few things on their 3d printer they have had for a while. I guess I am not sure as to why that is the focal point for DO. Maybe it is bigger than the one in CB?
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

Interesting...So will the Dunkin Donuts be outside of the current building and kind of right up against one of the walls and connect inside?
lonnie
Library Board

Post by lonnie »

Jason4225 wrote:... My 11 year old son was very excited about the 3d printing lab and the teen space that had PS4 and Xbox One available to play on 4 screens. He said it was a place that finally "got" him.
Great to hear this interested your 11 year old, but there is a significant difference between being a consumer of tech and creating (projects), I hope the focus can be on creating.

How many parents out there have heard of the Raspberry Pi or Arduino and have no clue how to enable their kids to explore creating projects with these modern day "erector sets". Keep in mind the the finished project is not the big prize, it is the process from where all the learning comes from.

Sadly, I'm not aware of any place in Omaha that fosters this kind of learning.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

lonnie wrote:I find this "Do Space" idea quite interesting, and Kudos to those risking a lot of money to try to encourage people to learn.

Though I am somewhat puzzled by their evolutionary approach of creating a "library of computers" rather than a revolutionary approach of incubating projects.

The only real new idea the "Do Space" offers is a 3D printer lab.

I'd like to see less computers (people can bring their own) and more Make: style projects http://makezine.com where project parts would be available to play with as well as purchase to take home.

Wouldn't it be cool if the "Do Space" was an Omaha "Adafruit" https://www.adafruit.com where all kinds of cool parts and gizmos were available to play with and purchase. Users can create videos documenting their project's progress.

Being a not for profit, how about the "Do Space" offering a Kickstarter-like donation page where patrons could support projects. This process teaches real-world skills; English language, web layout, video creation, formulating design goals in addition to the actual project.

I personally spend many hours every day collaborating on open source software projects with people from around the world, no multi-million dollar "Do Space" required. Though when it comes to learning about hardware and making physical gizmos, a place to meet like the "Do Space" can be vital.

I look forward to see the "Do Space" evolve and grow, and hopefully the founders are not satisfied with being just a "library of computers".

I know there are meetings come up with a bunch of the different IT User Groups about how the local IT community can get involved. I'm going to hold off on any judgments to see how this evolves.

Greg
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Dunkin Donuts is now open in the Northeast corner of the Do Space....FYI.

A free-standing one just opened last summer, down the street on the east side of 72nd near Jones. Seems there will be enough traffic at both locations to keep them going.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

GetUrban wrote:Dunkin Donuts is now open in the Northeast corner of the Do Space....FYI.
Might be easier to get in and out of than the Scooter's and Starbucks across the street in the parking lot from heck.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

jessep28 wrote:
GetUrban wrote:Dunkin Donuts is now open in the Northeast corner of the Do Space....FYI.
Might be easier to get in and out of than the Scooter's and Starbucks across the street in the parking lot from heck.
Especially if you're south-bound on 72nd or east-bound on Dodge. Scooter's and Starbucks really do get backed-up. I'm amazed at how much traffic they get.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

GetUrban wrote:
jessep28 wrote:
Especially if you're south-bound on 72nd or east-bound on Dodge. Scooter's and Starbucks really do get backed-up. I'm amazed at how much traffic they get.
If I'm forced to go to go there on a weekend, I'll just park at Crossroads and walk.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

the parking lot has been slowly swelling and anymore the place looks quite busy. :thumb:
15-17, 26, 32
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

You can go to an old teck petting zoo at the Do Space today...... unless the whole thing is an April Fools Joke.....

http://www.omaha.com/living/do-space-to ... f4172.html

For April Fools' Day, Do Space is going back to the past.
On Friday, the community technology library at 72nd and Dodge Streets will provide access to vintage tech, including a hands-on tech petting zoo that will feature items like classic Apple computers, typewriters, record players and more. Do Space will also set up an arcade-style room with playable game of "The Oregon Trail," "Zork" and more.
The free event will take place from 1 to 6 p.m. Friday.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I think it looks really cool. I love that flashing signage stuff -- almost like 72nd & Dodge has a slight feel of Times Square/NYC now, or something. The Dunkin Donuts adds a nice touch, I feel, as well. I still need to stop in there.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

One year in, Do Space's 30,000 members show 'Omaha is interested in this project'
It has recorded 171,000 visits and more than 30,000 members. The space gets 500 to 800 daily visits and has 80 to 100 new members signing up each day.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:One year in, Do Space's 30,000 members show 'Omaha is interested in this project'
It has recorded 171,000 visits and more than 30,000 members. The space gets 500 to 800 daily visits and has 80 to 100 new members signing up each day.
I was hoping the article would mention whey they bought the building next to them last year. The old Verizon, then I believe it was a mattress store. The "COMMUNITY INFORMATION TRUST" bought it in October 2015, same owner as the Do Space building.
dospace.JPG
dospace.JPG (149.68 KiB) Viewed 5428 times
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

^^ I noticed that space was being gutted the other day when I went by there.

EDIT: To be torn down for more Do Space parking.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

iamjacobm wrote:^^ I noticed that space was being gutted the other day when I went by there.

EDIT: To be torn down for more Do Space parking.
Being torn down today.