Active 55+ lifestyle community?

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

jlincoln
New to the Neighborhood

Active 55+ lifestyle community?

Post by jlincoln »

I am not old enough or immobile enough to even consider an assisted living facility. Stop trying to sell me a hospital lifestyle. I am soon to retire, I want to live (buy) an Omaha home/condo/townhome. I do not need someone to feed me. I do not need a concierge, or 24 hr. health care. Where are the new neighborhoods that appeal to my (healthy but aging) market? These neighborhoods exist all over the United States, there are several of these 55+ housing neighorhoods in all sections of the US.

What if I don't want to live in an apartment and eat a 3 square meal plan? Why not build a Sun City/Shea type housing area in Omaha? Kansas City has them, Iowa has them. There clearly is a market in the US for independent "adult" housing. Why do I need to move to Arizona? I can visit Arizona or Florida when I want. I'm jsut looking for a retirement "neighborhood" surrounded by active adults and like-minded people. The community HOA has to include healthy lifestyle amenities. If this already exists, then I've missed it in all of the research. Not looking for Immanuel type housing at all, not at all what I'm talking about. This is long past overdo Omaha.
Garrett
Planning Board

Re: Active 55+ lifestyle community?

Post by Garrett »

I think there is a community like that west of 168 and Pacific, but I'm not expert.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

There is a large "over 55" development under construction at 72nd and Hwy 370. Independent living, but with a movie theater and restaurant and who knows what else. I'm surprised more of these "active retirement" developments aren't popping up all over town.
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

Walnut Lake off 156th and Lakeside PL. It is smaller but really nice and they still have lots available.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

nativeomahan wrote:There is a large "over 55" development under construction at 72nd and Hwy 370.  Independent living, but with a movie theater and restaurant and who knows what else.  I'm surprised more of these "active retirement" developments aren't popping up all over town.
I think what you are referring to is here (Hwy 370 and 60th St):
http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... 12&t=16461" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

skinzfan23 wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:There is a large "over 55" development under construction at 72nd and Hwy 370.  Independent living, but with a movie theater and restaurant and who knows what else.  I'm surprised more of these "active retirement" developments aren't popping up all over town.
I think what you are referring to is here (Hwy 370 and 60th St):
http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... 12&t=16461" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oops. You are correct. Northwest of 60th and Hwy 370, all the way north to Cedardale.
jlincoln
New to the Neighborhood

Post by jlincoln »

Thanks for your responses. I think Omaha could use a community like this http://www.epconcommunities.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (I have no affiliation). It seems everything being built is connected to an an assisted living type facility. Clearly, there is major money in assisted living. But how about building smaller one-level houses in an area designed for healthy aging? Lots of me out there, across the country.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Probably not what you are looking for housing wise, but the Elmwood Tower is an independent retirement building.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

And they even change your lightbulbs for you! :mrgreen:
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

iamjacobm wrote:Probably not what you are looking for housing wise, but the Elmwood Tower is an independent retirement building.
Doesn't sound like what he wants, but for people who are in that market, the views from the upper floors are stunning. When my GM lived there, they also got Cox for free.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Would condos in some of the new mixed-use developments (e.g. Midtown Crossing) meet that category? Granted, they're generally higher-end and a bit up the price scale, but they're maintenance-free and have many surrounding amenities.