NP Dodge Park

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

NP Dodge Park

Post by Coyote »

I thought we had a thread on this, particularly after the great flood...
But the city is building a 'Crows Nest' concessions in the park.
I thought that there was already a concessions building here, maybe I was wrong,
But does anyone know what this might consist of?
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Re: NP Dodge Park

Post by bigredmed »

They could make bank with a concession store on the weekends with the boaters and soccer games. I think the big building there now is an event space.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I think there was one over by the Softball Fields, but not sure it was even used anymore. Been a long time since I played softball and even longer since I played at Dodge Park.

Since they are calling it "Crows Nest" I would assume this would be for the boaters?
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

The building at the softball fields had a concession stand. Years ago when my friends had the contract to operate most of the city's concession stands, Dodge Park sat unused for years. When it was open, the place was never busy.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Get something convenient to the soccer area. Drive by on a Sunday and you will see why.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

After the 3rd flood of 2019, City Parks Director Brook Bench was on one of the local stations recently saying the sports fields were going to move and Dodge Park was going to go back to a more natural park.

Great plan by the city. That location could be a great wildlife park if it was converted back to a more natural setting.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

You mean the swamp it was when we were kids? Will the cops start using it as a gun range again? It could be a nice historic marker as it is close to Lone Tree ferry, the Mormon built ferry across the river. Now on dry land by the Corps/Coast Guard/Sheriff.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Well, since everyone who has their career invested in such issues seems to have come to the conclusion that the Missouri River is destined to become more of a wild, untamed river for the foreseeable future, more or less spilling out of its banks and flooding everything in sight, this is probably a necessary change. But has anyone indicated where these new futbol fields will go? You need a large flat area...like a river bottom. lol.
On a related note, too bad for the backers of Hanafan Park. It would appear it had a very short lifespan as a concert venue.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

It has been essentially useless for the past two years anyway, as far as the playing fields go. No sense in trying to start over every year, especially when the river won't even let you think about it.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

100 meter wide flat rectangular areas? Now we know why they flattened out Gene Leahy mall. Downtown soccer.