Oak View Mall (144 & West Center Rd)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:Dick's Sporting Goods at Oak View closed.

They keep falling
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

nebugeater wrote:

They keep falling
No loss. Another big box outdoor store selling price point |expletive| instead of holding to a quality level.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

bigredmed1 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

They keep falling
No loss. Another big box outdoor store selling price point |expletive| instead of holding to a quality level.

In the big picture it is a pretty good loss for them as it creates another vacancy along with Babys R Us. In the current environment, these spaces are difficult to replace.

Greg
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Oak Views death spiral is accelerating.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

omaha79 wrote:Oak Views death spiral is accelerating.
The Oak View Mouse Trap development area has certainly been on Red Alert mode since, and I’m being kind, the late 2000’s (say 2007-2009 ish)..

It’s spiraling pretty close to Crossroads level depths. Once shoes begin to fall, they, subsequently, begin to fall VERY quickly. And I don’t think that’s an overreaction. The significance of the losses have far outmatched the number of gains the development has seen within the past decade...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
OverlookedFarm
Home Owners Association

Post by OverlookedFarm »

The panera moved out too in the outlying tract for thier new place in orchard plaza.

One thing that is overlooked is yes, the population moved west... but it is a bulk of the young families with disposable income moved with them.

What changed is the neighborhood demographics. More empty nesters. Empty nesters dont Champs Americana-Mr Bulkys-Arcade like thier kids did in 1994.

You see this in other "bands" of westO. For example, hyvee on 132nd and dodge, same deal. Demographics changed. 114th as well, so too for 132nd maple or bel air plaza..

These are nice areas of suburbia, lets hope they do t right. However, my bet is the density wont support as developers will overlook the demographic element
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

I have heard that Toys R Us is going to close out at Oak View as well, was on there list of store closings so far for 2018
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

OverlookedFarm wrote:The panera moved out too in the outlying tract for thier new place in orchard plaza.

One thing that is overlooked is yes, the population moved west... but it is a bulk of the young families with disposable income moved with them.

What changed is the neighborhood demographics. More empty nesters. Empty nesters dont Champs Americana-Mr Bulkys-Arcade like thier kids did in 1994.

You see this in other "bands" of westO. For example, hyvee on 132nd and dodge, same deal. Demographics changed. 114th as well, so too for 132nd maple or bel air plaza..

These are nice areas of suburbia, lets hope they do t right. However, my bet is the density wont support as developers will overlook the demographic element
Other than K-Mart and Blockbuster, 132nd & Maple is pretty solid from where it was 10 years ago. They failed because they chose to not adapt to changes in the needs of the demographics. And that is K-Mart and Blockbuster as a whole.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

OverlookedFarm wrote:The panera moved out too in the outlying tract for thier new place in orchard plaza.

The HyVee on 132nd and Dodge is busy. 114th is busy except for one strip mall whose owners seem intent on emptying it for redevelopment. The strip mall on the east side is packed. South of Dodge to Burke Blvd is hopping. Bel Air sat too long allowing Bakers to eat their lunch after Food City closed. It's now pretty busy with successful bars, businesses, and restaurants.

The chain restaurants that infested Oakview are dying off Nationwide because many of us look at them as serving plastic food. I can spend the same at Saigon and get home made central highlands Pho' or at Shucks and get a custom prepared meal as I can at some chain place where I will get the food prepared by some high school kid reading off a plastic instruction card and mixing flavo-pak 1 with meat-pak C to create the "famous" rootin tootin steakzilla. Why in a city full of ready better options would any sensible person do that?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Turtle9160 wrote:I have heard that Toys R Us is going to close out at Oak View as well, was on there list of store closings so far for 2018
They WERE NOT on the list that was published a couple of weeks ago. The Babies R us was but NOT the Toys R Us. Could have changed but not announced with the other closings across the nation that were made public.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Oakview has a variety of things going against it: it doesn't have the stores that draw people, nor the location to really attract them, and it's built around an old model of an indoor shopping mall.

Take NEX. It arguably has a bad location for most metro Omaha shoppers relative to Shadow Lake, Oak View, etc. But, it outdraws them because it has those destination stores that people want, and affordable prices with the outlet model.

Take Westroads. Sure, it's an indoor mall, but it's in a great location with strong destination stores and food options as well. It's well positioned to continue to prosper for years to come as is because of where it is and its demonstrated ability to change to market forces pretty rapidly.

And finally, Village Pointe. Its store lineup isn't particularly impressive as far as unique destinations go, but it has the location and the outdoor model on lock, and of course some good restaurants as well.

My bet, and I'm sure this is pretty supported, is that Oakview will reach Crossroads status within the next 5-10 years. Just as Village Pointe was the final nail for Crossroads, and even hobbled Westroads for a while, West Farm is going to absolutely slaughter Oakview.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I agree on Oak View and that it's going to completely fail in the next 5-10 years as Crossroads did. In this day and age, Omaha only needs one enclosed mall. Westroads is larger, more up to date, has a better location, and better stores.

I disagree on Village Pointe. I think Scheel's and Apple are two distinct and fantastic draws for it. It also seems to have some stores on the women's side that appeal as well.

Greg
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Greg S wrote:I agree on Oak View and that it's going to completely fail in the next 5-10 years as Crossroads did. In this day and age, Omaha only needs one enclosed mall. Westroads is larger, more up to date, has a better location, and better stores.

I disagree on Village Pointe. I think Scheel's and Apple are two distinct and fantastic draws for it. It also seems to have some stores on the women's side that appeal as well.

Greg
Regarding Village Pointe, I completely agree. Many restaurants/stores at VP, are high end and the only location of said stores in the metro- Like Apple, Scheel’s, Kona Grill, Johnny’s Italian Steakhouse etc..

One thing to consider, as it relates to Oakview, is not just the enclosed mall part, but the entire (what I like to call) Oakview Mousetrap area.. A couple of things it does have going for it, is a busy AMC 24 location with an IMAX theater.. And a pretty steady and busy Barnes & Noble Bookstore location.. I believe the death nail for the enclosed mall, would be the announcement that Dillard’s and JC Penny’s are closing.. If and when that happens, you can say “Crossroads Mall, here we come” to the Oakview enclosed mall component. I’m really interested in what can and will happen to the non enclosed mall component of Oakview.. If that part can at least tred water and start to gain ground, there is hope for the enclosed mall...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Greg S wrote:I agree on Oak View and that it's going to completely fail in the next 5-10 years as Crossroads did. In this day and age, Omaha only needs one enclosed mall. Westroads is larger, more up to date, has a better location, and better stores.

Greg
Regarding Village Pointe, I completely agree. Many restaurants/stores at VP, are high end and the only location of said stores in the metro- Like Apple, Scheel’s, Kona Grill, Johnny’s Italian Steakhouse etc..

One thing to consider, as it relates to Oakview, is not just the enclosed mall part, but the entire (what I like to call) Oakview Mousetrap area.. A couple of things it does have going for it, is a busy AMC 24 location with an IMAX theater.. And a pretty steady and busy Barnes & Noble Bookstore location.. I believe the death nail for the enclosed mall, would be the announcement that Dillard’s and JC Penny’s are closing.. If and when that happens, you can say “Crossroads Mall, here we come” to the Oakview enclosed mall component. I’m really interested in what can and will happen to the non enclosed mall component of Oakview.. If that part can at least tred water and start to gain ground, there is hope for the enclosed mall...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I had forgotten about Apple when I wrote the post, so fair enough. I don't think Dillards or Sears have too long left, and I'm not certain about JC Penney. Department stores as a whole are struggling these days. I went to JC Penney a few days before Christmas and it was essentially empty. I think the only ones that will be able to survive are the more major ones like Macy's, Nordstrom, along with regional powerhouses like Von Maur.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Greg

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I would still argue that AMC Oak View 24 probably isn't doing well. It may be busy, but it's only because they have 24 screens and have basically become a discount theater. They are the only theater in the metro showing evening first run shows, including weekends, for $6.49. No one else is doing this. Everyone else is charging $9 plus. This remains a huge red flag for me. Why is AMC doing this? It can't be out of the kindness of their hearts. It wouldn't shock me if that theater closes in the next few years.
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

nebugeater wrote:
Turtle9160 wrote:I have heard that Toys R Us is going to close out at Oak View as well, was on there list of store closings so far for 2018
They WERE NOT on the list that was published a couple of weeks ago. The Babies R us was but NOT the Toys R Us. Could have changed but not announced with the other closings across the nation that were made public.
I must have miss read it, from the looks of it article updated mistakes from the original article. I honestly didn't know that Babies was still out there
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Garrett wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Greg

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I had forgotten about Apple when I wrote the post, so fair enough. I don't think Dillards or Sears have too long left, and I'm not certain about JC Penney. Department stores as a whole are struggling these days. I went to JC Penney a few days before Christmas and it was essentially empty. I think the only ones that will be able to survive are the more major ones like Macy's, Nordstrom, along with regional powerhouses like Von Maur.
This Dillard’s is one of only 2 left in the metro (the other is in The Bluffs).. If it were to close at Oakview, it would be a crippling loss to the enclosed mall. Dillard’s has a ton of presence with store locations in 29 states within their footprint.. We’ll see what the future holds...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

omaha79 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Greg

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I would still argue that AMC Oak View 24 probably isn't doing well. It may be busy, but it's only because they have 24 screens and have basically become a discount theater. They are the only theater in the metro showing evening first run shows, including weekends, for $6.49. No one else is doing this. Everyone else is charging $9 plus. This remains a huge red flag for me. Why is AMC doing this? It can't be out of the kindness of their hearts. It wouldn't shock me if that theater closes in the next few years.
Regarding AMC Oakview 24-

Using the only “scientific” measuring stick in my repertoire, my eye test, every time I attend a movie there, the parking lot is usually pretty full and business brisk. To my eye, it appears to be doing just fine. But beyond what I see, who knows.. If it were to close, it would be a HUGE loss for the Oakview development. That Oakview 24 has an IMAX is a positive sign.. I can’t imagine this theater rolling up the carpet anytime soon. Like I said in a previous post, we’ll see what the future holds...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
omaha79 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Greg

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Using the only “scientific” measuring stick in my repertoire, my eye test, every time I attend a movie there, the parking lot is usually pretty full and business brisk. To my eye, it appears to be doing just fine. But beyond what I see, who knows.. If it were to close, it would be a HUGE loss for the Oakview development. That Oakview 24 has an IMAX is a positive sign.. I can’t imagine this theater rolling up the carpet anytime soon. Like I said in a previous post, we’ll see what the future holds...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Last time I was there it was really busy too. Of course that was at least 7 years ago. All of the movies in theaters that I attend any more are at VP or at Alamo Draft-house. Maybe I should try the Oakview theater again but it really doesn't even cross my mind any more when I think of seeing an in theater movie.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

It's been a few years since I was at AMC 24. It seemed kind of run down when I was there last time. The only concession stand open was the center one. I've been hoping it would be cleaned up and upgraded like they've donw with a bunch of other AMC's.

Greg
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Greg S wrote:It's been a few years since I was at AMC 24. It seemed kind of run down when I was there last time. The only concession stand open was the center one. I've been hoping it would be cleaned up and upgraded like they've donw with a bunch of other AMC's.

Greg
It could definitely do with some upgrades. It was my family’s main go to back in the day, even for a bit after Village Pointe opened. I remember when 20 Grand was the dead theater, but now as the Majestic it’s the go to for us.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I probably see about 3-5 movies per year at AMC Oakview 24..I wouldn’t call it run down, but it could use some sprucing up. Certainly not a major overhaul imo..

I agree regarding The Majestic. That’s a great place to see a movie and much improved since it’s 20 Grand days...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
zippy
Home Owners Association

Post by zippy »

I think losing the day-to-day traffic from the HyVee has made a huge difference in the area. How long has it been since it moved to Stony Brook?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

zippy wrote:I think losing the day-to-day traffic from the HyVee has made a huge difference in the area. How long has it been since it moved to Stony Brook?
That’s an excellent point. I’ll throw in the closing of Best Buy, which was basically next door, to your comment regarding day to day traffic within the Oakview Mousetrap..

Without checking the dates, I’m certain that Best Buy closed first, once the Village Pointe location opened. I’m thinking that was around 2006-2007.. The Oakview HyVee closed when Stoneybrook opened and I think that was in 2010...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
omaha79 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Greg

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I think you have to look beyond the eye test and look t the subtext of what's going on there. Keep in mind, it's a 24 auditorium theater. By its sheer massiveness, it's going to generate a fair amount of traffic and the parking lot should look relatively full. It's size is also part of its problem. It's a white elephant. Theater companies simply don't build 24 audiorium theaters anymore like they did in the 90's. Most new theaters going forward are going to be 8-12 screens at most.

It has to cost quite a bit to keep the lights on in that building. So, they simply have to generate a fair amount of traffic. I've still not found anyone who can explain to me why AMC Oak View has essentially become a discount theater. No other theater is resorting to this tactic. Considering how little movie theaters keep of ticket sales, it appears to me that AMC may be showing movies at Oak View either for free or even at a loss when you factor in how much they have to turn back of the ticket cost to the studios. Why would they do that? My guess is they probably have a lease on this property that they are trying to limp along with. If nothing else, it tells me they simply cannot charge the same mount at Oak View 24 that they can at their other locations. The only way to get people out to that location is to show movies at a discount. That isn't a winning formula, if you ask me. They are trying to keep it float with concession sales mainly. Seriously, look at the cost of a ticket at AMC Oak View vs. Westroads or Council Bluffs.

I've also noticed the issues with the building. It hasn't had a major renovation in 20 years. Most of the concession stands are shut down nd covered with curtains with things like claw machines. There are issues with the restrooms, etc.

Overall, I think it's in a death cycle. We will see.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Turtle9160 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
I must have miss read it, from the looks of it article updated mistakes from the original article. I honestly didn't know that Babies was still out there
Apparently they are going bankrupt and closing all of their stores.
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

Coyote wrote:
Turtle9160 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
Apparently they are going bankrupt and closing all of their stores.
Read a article from CNN Money today saying just that, it reported that they could close all there stores as soon as next week
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Turtle9160 wrote: Read a article from CNN Money today saying just that, it reported that they could close all there stores as soon as next week
NBC nightly news just teased a story that Toys-R-Us told employees they are going to close or sell all of their stores.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote:
Turtle9160 wrote: Read a article from CNN Money today saying just that, it reported that they could close all there stores as soon as next week
NBC nightly news just teased a story that Toys-R-Us told employees they are going to close or sell all of their stores.
The story I read on KETV.com said the Toys-R-Us demise will effect 33,000 employees nation wide...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I was thinking we could use a Halloween super store in this part of town.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

another blow to this area. The demise hastens.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

If this closed and became another vanilla lifestyle center the west roads could continue to prosper and grow. I’ve learned recently how many people from around the region come in to shop. The west roads could swell to 1.5 or 2 million we could land more of that tourism coin. Even though it’s just consolidation of our indoor mall sq/ft it would matter to out of town shoppers. I think we could do it, if I recall Jordan Creek is 3 million sq/ft.
15-17, 26, 32
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

MTO wrote:If this closed and became another vanilla lifestyle center the west roads could continue to prosper and grow. I’ve learned recently how many people from around the region come in to shop. The west roads could swell to 1.5 or 2 million we could land more of that tourism coin. Even though it’s just consolidation of our indoor mall sq/ft it would matter to out of town shoppers. I think we could do it, if I recall Jordan Creek is 3 million sq/ft.
I assume you mean Westroads? But according to Wikipedia Jordan Creek has either 1,340,000 sq/ft Gross Leasable Area or 2,000,000 sq/ft total floor area, with Westroads at 1,200,000 sq/ft.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Garrett wrote:
MTO wrote:If this closed and became another vanilla lifestyle center the west roads could continue to prosper and grow. I’ve learned recently how many people from around the region come in to shop. The west roads could swell to 1.5 or 2 million we could land more of that tourism coin. Even though it’s just consolidation of our indoor mall sq/ft it would matter to out of town shoppers. I think we could do it, if I recall Jordan Creek is 3 million sq/ft.
I assume you mean Westroads? But according to Wikipedia Jordan Creek has either 1,340,000 sq/ft Gross Leasable Area or 2,000,000 sq/ft total floor area, with Westroads at 1,200,000 sq/ft.

I did see where Jordan Creek is going to expand one more time. They are adding a Von Maur close to Younkers. I am assuming Jordan Creek was one of the last large enclosed indoor malls built in the US.

Greg
WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association

Post by WBR_Tom »

Article in this morning's OWH says Younkers is likely to close stores at Oak View and Westroads in the coming months. The death spiral for Oak View continues...

http://www.omaha.com/money/younkers-may ... b7191.html
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Yeah, supposedly they have an investor that may come in and prevent this but if that falls through they were required to give advance notice on the closures.

Reuters, citing people familiar with the matter, reported that Namdar Realty Group, of Great Neck, N.Y., and Washington Prime Group, of Columbus, Ohio, could bid to acquire Bon-Ton out of bankruptcy.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/money/bu ... 494950002/

Greg
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Yes, the death spiral continues. I'm confident that Westroads will find a way to fill the space if they lose Younkers. Oak View doesn't stand a chance.

I predicted a couple of years ago that the next major step would be for them to lose an anchor tenant. They've been bleeding regular tenants in the mall and in the outlying strips for years, but the true sign of the inescapable death cycle is to lose an anchor tenant. For a struggling mall, there is basically no going back from it. We've seen it at The Center, Crossroads, and Southroads before.

I'm surprised to hear it's Younkers. I figured it would be Sears or JC Penneys. It really doesn't matter which one it is in the end. If Younkers closes, I could see another anchor store following shortly after.

Then, I still see the theater, which is on life support, IMO, going next.

I could see a scenario where Dillards closes up shop at Oak View and moves to the vacated spot in Westroads which would make the most sense. That's the only Dillards location in Omaha and literally the only thing that keeps Oak View even somewhat relevant.

We will see.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Yes, the death spiral continues. I'm confident that Westroads will find a way to fill the space if they lose Younkers. Oak View doesn't stand a chance.

I predicted a couple of years ago that the next major step would be for them to lose an anchor tenant. They've been bleeding regular tenants in the mall and in the outlying strips for years, but the true sign of the inescapable death cycle is to lose an anchor tenant. For a struggling mall, there is basically no going back from it. We've seen it at The Center, Crossroads, and Southroads before.

I'm surprised to hear it's Younkers. I figured it would be Sears or JC Penneys. It really doesn't matter which one it is in the end. If Younkers closes, I could see another anchor store following shortly after.

Then, I still see the theater, which is on life support, IMO, going next.

I could see a scenario where Dillards closes up shop at Oak View and moves to the vacated spot in Westroads which would make the most sense. That's the only Dillards location in Omaha and literally the only thing that keeps Oak View even somewhat relevant.

We will see.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Dillard's is a nice store... it would be a shame if they didn't at least re-locate to Westroads.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

omaha79 wrote:I predicted a couple of years ago that the next major step would be for them to lose an anchor tenant. They've been bleeding regular tenants in the mall and in the outlying strips for years, but the true sign of the inescapable death cycle is to lose an anchor tenant. For a struggling mall, there is basically no going back from it. We've seen it at The Center, Crossroads, and Southroads before.
The Oakview Mall is in a good neighborhood and is faltering due to dealing with a bad economy and the national failure of retail chains. The Center and the Southroads and even the Crossroads failed because they were in bad ends of town. There is little comparison between those 3 and the Oakviews situation now.