Oak View Mall (144 & West Center Rd)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

BRoss
IT Director

Re: Oak View Mall - Redevelopment Plan

Post by BRoss »

RockHarbor wrote:The owners do not care ENOUGH about it, nor are they aggressive enough, nor "fighters", like Westroads owners appear to me are.
They are actually both owned by the same people. I just think they have turned all their attention to Westroads at this point since Omaha can really only support one indoor mall.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Are they? Is it that Growth Properties, or something like that? My impression in there still is: They don't care enough about Oakview Mall. (I didn't say they don't care, I said I feel my impression there is they don't care enough.) I'm just being honest. If I were paying rents in that mall, would I want to walk out of my store and see a dying palm w/ hardly any graceful fronds? Would I want to see signage from the 90's flicked-off, but left there for years? (Did they flick it off because it is dated, or are they trying to simply save on their electric bill?) I mean, many shoppers don't want to see that either (imo). Unfortunately, with all the work it takes to maintain things, and keep them looking right, nobody seems to notice or appreciate it. It's only when things start to look bad, and people remark, and people start leaving, that one sees the value in maintaining something (imo).
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Also: Although the mall has sat there since 1991 (25 years), and been part of the Omaha scene for almost three decades, it still doesn't feel like it is fully ingrained deeply in Omaha history & culture to me -- like Westroads and Crossroads are. Why is that? Or, am I the only that feels that? (Maybe it just has to do with my own experience?) I've been thinking about that lately...

I was figuring it had to do with the span of shorter time it has existed, compared to Westroads and Crossroads. But, Westroads was only 25 (or so) years old when I was in high school and when Oak View was built, and Westroads didn't feel that way to me then. I can't put my finger on it. Maybe simply because Oak View broke away from the using "roads" in the name, which was a common theme in Omaha for mall (just like "dale" was in suburban Minneapolis). I don't know.

If it has to do with my own experience, than I ask: To the individuals who were in high school when Westroads was built in the late 1960's, that were used to Crossroads, did Westroads feel like the city's "odd mall" 25 years later to you? I can't imagine anybody felt that about Westroads. So, I'm just wondering why Westroads and Crossroads feel like they are more in Omaha's "Hall of Fame" than Oak View is (to me) -- or something. (Maybe simply because Crossroads was the first main suburban mall in town, and Westroads was the first major/mega one?)

Whatever: It is a beautiful mall still, and I hope it is kept up well, and it makes it, and does even better in the future. It is our one mall that has that "80's/90's glamour" look on the exterior, with all the peaks, mirror glass, and skylights.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

RockHarbor wrote:Also: Although the mall has sat there since 1991 (25 years), and been part of the Omaha scene for almost three decades, it still doesn't feel like it is fully ingrained deeply in Omaha history & culture to me -- like Westroads and Crossroads are.
I grew up in Millard and always felt like it was more of a local mall for that area of the city. Meanwhile Crossroads was the grandfather "mall of Omaha". Oakview just never compared to it.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Just thinking off the top of my keyboard... When Westroads was built it had novelty. I don't ever recall feeling that Oak View was ever 'novel'. My father would take me downtown in the 60's to experience Omaha at its essence. I remember 60's Crossroads, but in my childhood, it never meant the end of the city/rail service that my father might have experienced. It would be interesting to hear what different generational eras thought about those four centers... Downtown, Crossroads, Westroads and Oak View. For me it never really had significance other that shops in which I had no interest.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:Also: Although the mall has sat there since 1991 (25 years), and been part of the Omaha scene for almost three decades, it still doesn't feel like it is fully ingrained deeply in Omaha history & culture to me -- like Westroads and Crossroads are.
I grew up in Millard and always felt like it was more of a local mall for that area of the city. Meanwhile Crossroads was the grandfather "mall of Omaha". Oakview just never compared to it.
Yeah, I get what you're saying. And, I love hearing people's viewpoints as I figure these things out. Architecture and design, their effect on people, and certain buildings & malls, and their location & perception, is interesting.

I guess my main desire, though, is to feel that Oak View clearly deserves and justifies a picture hanging in Omaha's "Hall of Fame." Maybe they need to make it bigger, maybe they need to keep it the same. I don't know.

I know I don't want it renamed to "Southwestroads" or "Millardroads" or "Oakroads", though. I like "Oak View Mall." I like mall names with the word "Oak" in them -- like the big Oak Park mall in KC, or something like "Oakdale" or "Oakridge." It always sounds so pretty & prestigious, or something. I like seeing an oak tree or oak leaf used in the signage of the mall. So, Oak View has the great name going for it, imo!

COYOTE: Ok, good to hear... "Novelty." OK, I need to think on that awhile, and think on that word. Westroads had "novelty" to you, Oak View didn't. Thanks for you input. This is interesting.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

From the W-H:

"The turmoil among national retailers has hit Oak View Mall especially hard over the past two years. The mall was about 80 percent occupied at the end of 2015, according to its owner, Chicago-based General Growth Properties, the country’s largest mall operator, with 128 centers in 40 states.

That puts Oak View at No. 127, second from the bottom, among General Growth’s retail properties in terms of occupancy. (General also owns Westroads, which is about 97 percent occupied — the same occupancy rate as the companywide average, according to its 2015 annual report.) Oak View was about 88 percent occupied at the end of 2014.

At the same time as Oak View and other centers are facing challenges, other malls and shopping destinations have found new ways to draw in shoppers with fresh entertainment and dining options, and new-to-market retailers that can’t be found anywhere else in town.

Oak View’s general manager, Ted Harris, and Jim Sadler, senior general manager of Westroads Mall, both declined to comment. A General Growth spokesman didn’t return multiple requests for comment."..

The story link-
http://www.omaha.com/money/is-oak-view- ... TNNoMobile

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

When they first built Oak View it was really nice but essentially brought nothing new to the scene. And it was smaller than Westroads. Younkers built a store smaller than what they had at the other two malls (but a really nice store), Dillards was the same as Crossroads, and both Sears and JCPennys built stores smaller than what they had at Crossroads and Westroads.

When Crossroads remodeled they brought in new stores to Omaha and Dillard's. Westroads brought in Von Maur plus had the best location and was the biggest mall.

At the time I thought General Growth should have used more of the land out there to make the mall bigger and not used so much of it on the outisde stores (like Hy Vee). Made it the go-to mall. They made it smaller and Westroads did a great remodel not too long after Oak View opened and solidified itself as Omaha's premier mall. I remember though the biggest buzz for the whole place was that the Hy Vee out there was going to have a Taco Bell in it (I don't think it even lasted a year).

Greg
lonnie
Library Board

Post by lonnie »

Well said Greg, and given that Westroads is the winner, it makes no sense to me that Crossroads would be redeveloped with any sort of retail focus.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Definitely not enclosed retail for Crossroads. I'm sure there will be a retail component but I'm sure it will stay in the mixed use category.

Greg
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

The population shift out West also moved a lot of high income shoppers closer to Village Pointe.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Well the city is growing and there'll soon be more and more roof tops out that way as well as the NMC. But maybe it should be office blocked so Crossroads can get off the starting block.
15-17, 26, 32
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

jessep28 wrote:The population shift out West also moved a lot of high income shoppers closer to Village Pointe.

You've always had the growth out west, though the central area has pretty much retained what it's always had-thinking of Fair Acres, Dundee, Country Club, and District 66 mainly. I don't think those types of areas have declined at all.

Greg
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

What is the ultimately solution for Oak View Mall? There has to be one, I would think. You put enough minds together, you usually can come up with something. You just have to understand all the details about everything going on (in the market, in the town, in the economy, in the shoppers' minds, in the retailers' minds), to come up with the best solution, I would think.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

There are those firms that you can pay a butt load of money to for a solution. And even though the city collective can come up with the same solution it doesn't count unless you pay a couple hundred thousand for it.
15-17, 26, 32
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Agreed. You can brainstorm ideas all you want, but it takes millions of dollars and know-how to develop large tracts of land to actually do something.

I think I already posted my idea in this thread. It's on the first page with photos.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I know I'm just being sarcastic because often they do comeback with what we've come up with but they put the statistical analysis, infrastructure considerations, building codes, demographics etc with engineers, lawyers, accountants etc and the whole nine.
15-17, 26, 32
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

Last year I had to stop at Nebraska Ortho. With low profile tires on my car I had to drive 2mph on the outer road there because of the potholes. A month later when I stopped back they were still not fixed. It almost seemed like they had given up on the mall. If I am scared that I am going to ruin my car driving in the parking lot I am not going to pick that as a place to shop.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Trips wrote:Last year I had to stop at Nebraska Ortho. With low profile tires on my car I had to drive 2mph on the outer road there because of the potholes. A month later when I stopped back they were still not fixed. It almost seemed like they had given up on the mall. If I am scared that I am going to ruin my car driving in the parking lot I am not going to pick that as a place to shop.
Agreed. There is this "feeling in the air" that they've kinda given up on the mall, imo, although it sits there still fairly nice & pretty, and still has somewhat of a daily buzz. I think it comes down to this:

1) Omaha has too many malls for its size, and is saturated with too many shopping centers. It's overbuilt. They know this. 2) You can't just pick up a mall like that and move it, or bulldoze it. It is too new & nice. So, it is easy to look away and not think about what to really do with it. 3) It looks to have a "global crowd" in there now. There is not a respect enough for the shoppers that go there, or something, when that is a wrong, wrong attitude. 4) It is squeezed-in and small enough that is difficult to take the mall too seriously. It sits far from a freeway. There isn't hardly room to expand it, nor is the economic climate right for any expansion.

I think it is probably overwhelming, a bit, what to really do. That's one reason, I think, the owners don't comment. Just my perception. Not sure if that is accurate, or not.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

It would need to be a destination ares for people it used to be arcades but that is long gone. What a mall needs is not only locals to visit the mall but out of town folks. It is not too far from baseball fields for state tournaments and sure there are many more events

Perhaps a destination hotel, could be added and attached to the mall. Having a great Wolf lodge, rainforest cafe, lego store ,elephant bar could bring more people to the are and shop on their down time.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

That's actually not a bad idea -- at all. Yes, put an attraction there that locals and out-of-towners are drawn to, and book themselves in, then they naturally shop at the adjacent mall. That is one of the best list of ideas I've heard so far...to help boost that mall. I really think Oak View is a pretty mall, and something like what you suggested would help not only keep the mall busier, but make that whole area more exciting, imo. It just needs a boost. It has that Barnes & Noble, and AMC movie theater, and bowling center already. But, I think it needs something, like you mentioned, that will give the feeling of out-of-towners visiting in the area. Then, it wouldn't feel like this boring, suburban mall that a ring of locals are shopping at. Perfect!! Maybe you should contact the owners!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Not exactly in Oakview, but the BP station at 140th and West Center is getting renovations to include a car wash.
Original
Home Owners Association

Post by Original »

CityLight Church is planning to buy the old HyVee near OakView.

http://citylightomaha.org/westmidtownvision/
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

Malls are already dying, Omaha only needs Westroads. Adding a hotel and making Oakview a destination would kill Westroads then we'd have to close it. They should invest in Westroads and redevelop Oakview into something else.
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
BPHusker
Home Owners Association

Post by BPHusker »

Original wrote:CityLight Church is planning to buy the old HyVee near OakView.

I thought a Cheer place was going in there.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

BPHusker wrote:
Original wrote:CityLight Church is planning to buy the old HyVee near OakView.

I thought a Cheer place was going in there.
Those coming soon signs have been there a LONG time. Elite Cheer I believe. Didn't they end up elsewhere.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Elite Cheer is listed as 2410 S 140th Cir. which is currently on the market.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Elite Cheer is listed as 2410 S 140th Cir. which is currently on the market.
They built that building brand new about a decade ago. I worked on the plans for it way back when.

Here is the thread for Elite and Trampoline City:
http://www.eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.p ... ilit=Elite
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

OK, it is now official, Elite Cheer just submitted a $1M renovation project at Oak View....
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Toys R Us has announced that they are closing up to 180 stores starting in Feb as part of their bankruptcy announced earlier. The only store in Nebraska that is listed on the list of those closing is the one at Oakview. (This is the Babies R Us Address) Not sure how many Toys R Us or Babies R Us stores their are in Nebraska but I know this is not the only one. Another blow to the Oak-view area There are two closing in Iowa, both with Des Moines addresses

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/24/toys-r- ... he-us.html

Nebraska

3505 S. 140th Plaza, Omaha NE

Iowa

1211 E. Army Post Rd., S. Des Moines IA

8801 University Ave., Des Moines IA
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

So I am assuming the actual Toys R Us store at Oak View is staying open and only the Babys R Us is closing?

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:So I am assuming the actual Toys R Us store at Oak View is staying open and only the Babys R Us is closing?

Greg

That is the way I read it.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Heard last nigh that Village Inn by Oakview closed. Not on my go to list so will not miss it. Check the VI web site and it is no longer listed. Google shows it as permanently closed and has reviews as recent as 10 days ago.

The other part I heard was that someone else has bought the property. Anyone know anything about this?
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

nebugeater wrote:Heard last nigh that Village Inn by Oakview closed. Not on my go to list so will not miss it. Check the VI web site and it is no longer listed. Google shows it as permanently closed and has reviews as recent as 10 days ago.

The other part I heard was that someone else has bought the property. Anyone know anything about this?
Some old timers and hard core types are crushed about this we can be sure. Personally I don't care for Village Inn at all. My Mom complains all the time because her new husbands favorite place to eat is Village Inn and its the only place he ever wants to go. That would suck why in the world would you marry someone like that? :lol:
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Not surprising considering the retail decline in the area.

It's probably been close to 20 years since I've stepped foot in a Village Inn, but that place is kind of sentimental. My late great aunt and uncle who were like grandparents to me used to take us kids to that location, and previously the one on 90th, North of Maple all the time in the 1990's.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nebugeater wrote:Heard last nigh that Village Inn by Oakview closed. Not on my go to list so will not miss it. Check the VI web site and it is no longer listed. Google shows it as permanently closed and has reviews as recent as 10 days ago.

Interesting and somewhat surprising news..

This Village Inn was not a place I frequented by any means (maybe 6 or so times since the place opened).. But I did eat there pretty recently.. Right after a late movie night on Dec 30th (Star Wars-The Last Jedi), we went to this Village Inn for a bite to eat and it was pretty good. Nothing spectacular..Village Inn rarely is.. But the place was nearly half full at 11pm at night..

This entire Oakview mousetrap area is definitely experiencing what can best be described in Yoga terms as- A Downward Facing Dog...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

jessep28 wrote:It's probably been close to 20 years since I've stepped foot in a Village Inn, but that place is kind of sentimental. My late great aunt and uncle who were like grandparents to me used to take us kids to that location, and previously the one on 90th, North of Maple all the time in the 1990's.
Me too! I don't like Village Inn whatsoever these days, but I'll always remember the times my Dad and I rode the bus to the 90th location around 2000. He used to work more than a full week and he'd still take me out for Saturday breakfast whenever I wanted to, and I still appreciate that when it pops into my head every who knows how often. Especially because those trips took over an hour each way. Anything to get away from mom, I guess. I don't know.

But yeah, Village Inn's not good.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I still like VI. I can eat breakfast any time of the day. I work by one in Bellevue and it still does really well.

Greg
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Greg S wrote:I still like VI. I can eat breakfast any time of the day. I work by one in Bellevue and it still does really well.
VI is not bad. I've been exposed to the restaurant business and in the case of VI it's about getting people in and out as quickly as possible with a satisfactory experience.

I make better bacon, pancakes, breakfast sandwiches. But I'm not good at all at making runny eggs, pies, breakfast skillets. I've tried. And they are consistently good at making these food items. We just need to remember this is a big food business... The end product is good, but the underlying quality is not that good.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Dick's Sporting Goods at Oak View closed.