Leo & Rosemary Daly Acreage (96th & Dodge)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Re: Leo & Rosemary Daly Acreage (96th & Dodge)

Post by Coyote »

cdub wrote:Wow, what an awesome, eccentric place. Too bad it had to go.
There are so many things about this place that make it so dated (is it late 50's), not just the Dance Wallpaper, and Halloween fireplace, but the avacado green toilet and pink bathtube, to this floor tiles and funky green carpeting...
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Of all the things about this place, at least from the photos, the green mushroom carpet takes the trophy.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Just looked it up, built in 1952, renovated in '88
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Wow, while ugly as heck in some areas, that thing had a lot of cool features!
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Brad wrote:Wow, while ugly as heck in some areas, that thing had a lot of cool features!
Lots of ugly inside that place. Not really sure why, but when I was in college, I worked in Millard Lumber, and delivered lots of lumber to Regency and other upscale places. Interesting thing was that we brought crappy SPF framing lumber and sheeting like we did for tract houses, and very expensive, but not particularly useful and lethally trendy decorative items to these houses. I have made it a point to steer people away from buying houses in Regency for that reason.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

They just going to trash the fireplace? I mean, it's bizarre....but still. Who wouldn't want a fireplace with a witch on a broom?
Also, are they going to take the statue of the guy humping the dolphin to the dump too?

The main thing I saw that was an aha moment was the basketball hoop in the garage. Cool idea.

As to how long it's been vacant, the article in the owh said they lived in quite a few other states & traveled a lot. That and Mrs. Daly was 91. I'm guessing it's been at least a couple of decades since someone legally slept in the house. I could be wrong.
Last edited by NovakOmaha on Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Just really makes me wonder when that place was last occupied.

There is a shocking amount of decay there for a place that was once probably very nice. Maybe it was recently scrapped, but it's hard to picture someone living there in the last 10 years....but, at the same time, it's more likely that there was.

It makes me think of reading Great Expectations in high school. It's kind of what I picture Ms. Havisham's house having looked like. The place seems to ooze long lost hopes and dreams.
pigeonman
New to the Neighborhood

Post by pigeonman »

Here is some information for you all wondering about Rosemont - the home of the late Leo and Rosemary Daly. Leo passed in 1981 from a heart attack and Rosemary continued to live in the house until illness in approximately 2007-2008. At that time, I believe that her son lived there for a time, but other than that, the house was locked. Yes the house was dated, but the pictures that appear now are horrific! There has been major destruction to the house, and to me, (who was a close friend of Mrs Daly) am shocked (but not surprised) at the condition. In the pictures, the lot to the south of the house - with all the trees, was Not part of the estate. Their property ran from just south of where the gate was north 11+ acres. The interior has been ravaged, so it seems obvious to me, it will be demolished. Years back Stanley Slosburg had designs on the property as he owns the south property. I had hoped it would remain, but evidently the family had no interest in preserving it. This is very sad for me, as I had known Rosemary all of my life, and she was a very close friend of my mother, as they grew up together. She was a loving, caring, giving woman of grace, style and elegance. Additionally the house was last "technically occupied" by Mrs Daly until approximately 2008, and she passed in January of this year, 2015. My first contact/encounter/meeting was or around 1960 when I was about 12 years old. I then remember seeing her on TV when the Ak-sar-ben Coronation was broadcast from the old grounds. She absolutely set the standard for style and elegance, often flying to Paris for hew coronation/ball gown. Remembering that, she would remain at the forefront of the society scene until the early 2000's - 50 years!!! A very private person but was always ever the consummate "unrivaled queen of the Omaha society scene" for decades - she is sorely missed. RIP Rosemary - my dear friend.
Last edited by pigeonman on Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Thank you.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Thanks Pigeoman! Appreciate your recollections.
pigeonman
New to the Neighborhood

Post by pigeonman »

I am happy to help. I have much more information too, but it is honestly gut wrenching to me to see this home torn out all for the money! It is also a shame for so much criticism without knowing facts. Just to restate - No One lived in the house since at least 2008, except for the comings and going of family etc taking items from the house, and now the end. The Dalys were both amazing people and especially Rosemary - she treated me like the family. As I say they were Very private, but she was a volunteer at what was St Joe hospital near Creighton for nearly 40 years. Every day of the week she would go 4-8 hours - doing that, giving her time until well into her mid 80's Also giving time and financial gifts to her church St Leo as well. To all who read these, my sincere apology for my verbose responses, it is very difficult for me to lose the "old guard." Thank you
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

omaha79 wrote:That is amazing. The stuff that is right in the middle of the city that you never realized even existed.
Wonder what other places in Omaha exist like this right under our noses?
Guess where this is:
image.jpg
image.jpg (224.93 KiB) Viewed 6470 times
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

108th and I???
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

Coyote wrote: Guess where this is:
4039 S 108th St.?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Yes, this is the home of Harold K. Scholz Co. Founder (older southern residence) and his daughter Ann and Gary Hough (modern northern residence) whose son Gage Hough some people may know, a former Lancer and now a Soph. Forward at UMass.-Lowell.
I wish I had a photo of the older house, you can see it during winter, it is two buildings with a driveway going between the two.
image.jpg
image.jpg (232.59 KiB) Viewed 6392 times
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I always thought the two houses on 108th and I were the Oriental Trading people, Watanobe.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Brad wrote:I always thought the two houses on 108th and I were the Oriental Trading people, Watanobe.
They lived in Regency.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

bigredmed wrote:
Brad wrote:I always thought the two houses on 108th and I were the Oriental Trading people, Watanobe.
They lived in Regency.
The Watanabe that lived in Regency was the OTC guy, the one that upset his money away in Vegas, very eccentric guy. I think he spent a little time in jail for tax evasion if I remember correctly. Not sure where is now, Omaha or elsewhere.

The 2 houses on the south side of Pacific are the Nobbies side of the family. Cousins I believe. I think they were all together at one time at OTC until the group that now owns Nobbies left and started that company.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Can we get this thread back on topic?

Scottk145
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Scottk145 »

guy4omaha wrote:I think the Mercer Mansion is another hidden gem. At least I would like to be able to take a closer look in at it behind the trees on the north side of Cuming at 40th? Would love to be able to take a tour of that site.
Mercer mansion is super cool imo. I went and checked out mercer a while back. Was waking around and a guy in one of the apartments came out and talked to me. It was converted to apartments in 1923 and is still in use today. Funny you should mention that, I always thought the Daly mansion site and the mercer site were similar because of the abandoned looking driveways off of the main roads.
Scottk145
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Scottk145 »

guy4omaha wrote:I think the Mercer Mansion is another hidden gem. At least I would like to be able to take a closer look in at it behind the trees on the north side of Cuming at 40th? Would love to be able to take a tour of that site.
Mercer mansion is super cool imo. I went and checked out mercer a while back. Was waking around and a guy in one of the apartments came out and talked to me. It was converted to apartments in 1923 and is still in use today. Funny you should mention that, I always thought the Daly mansion site and the mercer site were similar because of the abandoned looking driveways off of the main roads.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

Here are a few photos from last year. The property was open for one of the garden walks.
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

nebugeater wrote:Of all the things about this place, at least from the photos, the green mushroom carpet takes the trophy.
You mean the guy masturbating riding on the fish didn't? OR the bottom naked man riding a horse?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:Can we get this thread back on topic?

Anyone check the building permits for this lately?
WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association

Re: Leo & Rosemary Daly Acreage

Post by WBR_Tom »

Joe_Sovereign wrote:Image
They've had a nursery out over the last week to ten days planting dozens of good-sized trees on the previously open hillside (visible towards the top side of the picture above) bordering 96th and Burt. The new trees have enough growth already (and are numerous enough) that they obscure the hillside from the road somewhat. Not sure what that means for any future development of the land, but my office is right around the corner so I'll try to get a picture later today.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Leo & Rosemary Daly Acreage

Post by Coyote »

WBR_Tom wrote:I'll try to get a picture later today.
Looking forward to seeing your pics!
WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association

Post by WBR_Tom »

This is the north end of that block, which has been a wide-open grassy field for as long as I can remember. All of the trees pictured here lining the perimeter on the north and east sides are new within the last week or two. I'm guessing the plan is to leave this hillside undeveloped, or to incorporate is as part of whatever replaces the now-demolished mansion.

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Mansion mystery: Future fate of Daly property unknown after shielded buyer files for demolition permits
Paige Yowell - World-Herald staff writer wrote:A new use most likely is in store for the property, purchased from the Rosemary Daly estate about a year ago for $7 million. The buyer is shielded by a limited liability company. Its name: Rosemary’s Baby LLC.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

:lol: :lol:
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Spatial77
Home Owners Association

Post by Spatial77 »

Rosemary's Baby LLC address is for the law firm of Fraser Stryker at 500 Energy Plaza. They do a lot of real estate work, and is the firm that was used to acquire most of the private parcels around the Henry Doorly Zoo.

Here is the page from the Nebraska Secretary of States Office. https://www.nebraska.gov/sos/corp/corps ... r=10082240 . It appears they have been around since 2006, and it looks like they had a different name prior to July 14, 2015.
"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." -- Niels Bohr
Desmoire
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Desmoire »

Resurrecting a dead thread because the future of this property fascinates me. Does anyone have an update by chance?
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Attachments
thread revival.jpg
thread revival.jpg (95.78 KiB) Viewed 4146 times
bmt
Home Owners Association

Post by bmt »

A surveyor was at this property this afternoon.
Desmoire
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Desmoire »

bmt wrote:A surveyor was at this property this afternoon.
I'm just so curious as to whether this will be commercial or residential. I highly doubt another mansion would be built there. It's such a large plot of land I am going to say either a large commercial building or apartments.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Desmoire wrote:
bmt wrote:A surveyor was at this property this afternoon.
I'm just so curious as to whether this will be commercial or residential. I highly doubt another mansion would be built there. It's such a large plot of land I am going to say either a large commercial building or apartments.
I would think more likely residential since there is only right turns at Dodge.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

There were a ton of pictures on the first page of this thread, but all of the links are broken. Does anyone know where I can find these pics on the web?
Chloe1562
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Chloe1562 »

Reviving this thread again because I’ve been investigating and IM SO CURIOUS. After looking into a few things I found that the land was technically sold to “Shelf LLC” even though the Douglas county assessors site states grantee as “Rosemarys Baby LLC” (attached document stating this). I’ve gone digging to find any records on Shelf LLC but have come up dry.

Edit: I FORGOT TO MENTION IT WAS SOLD FOR “$10” AND “other valuable consideration”