Cloisters on the Platte

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Cloisters on the Platte

Post by Coyote »

Joe Ricketts 930 acre Retreat Center just south of the Holy Family Shrine and east of Schramm State Park is breaking ground this week

GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Re: Cloisters on the Platte

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

That is going to be grand indeed. Maybe 150 years from now when they get done with it they will give it to the state of Nebraska and we can call it Ricketts State Park.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

What is it?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

daveoma wrote:What is it?
A Retreat Center.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:That is going to be grand indeed. Maybe 150 years from now when they get done with it they will give it to the state of Nebraska and we can call it Ricketts State Park.
You're probably not far off in that guess.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
vvindows10
New to the Neighborhood

Post by vvindows10 »

Coyote wrote:A Retreat Center.
A place where sick people return if they do not get well the first time? Or that thing people do on Twitter?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

vvindows10 wrote:
A place where sick people return if they do not get well the first time? Or that thing people do on Twitter?
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by either of those... :shrug:
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Coyote wrote:
vvindows10 wrote:
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by either of those... :shrug:
Patients who need to be retreated

'Retweet' (retreat) on twitter
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

I really like the look of this building! It feels old just looking at it and I want to go inside and explore, the greenhouse is also inviting particularly with our Nebraska climate. I reminds me very much of an old mission that I toured years ago I think it was in Phoenix or someplace in California maybe Santa Barbara, just cant recall. I think it needs a large interior courtyard with a fountain and a plank walkway. At least those are things I recall about the Old Spanish Mission.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Sounds like a place where people can go to rehab while going to church.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

Is this a jesus camp?
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Erik wrote:Is this a jesus camp?
Pretty much.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

https://www.omaha.com/news/metro/gretna ... b9d2a.html
The Cloisters on the Platte was 20 years in the making — and "really a lot of fun" to build, he said.

Ricketts, the founder of TD Ameritrade and father of Nebraska Gov. Pete Ricketts, won't say how much this undertaking cost him, but building permits filed with Sarpy County show that it cost at least $20 million. The property cost Ricketts an additional $13.6 million to purchase in 2014.

The completed retreat center, which is geared toward Catholics but open to all faiths, is akin to a country club mixed with an upscale summer camp. Guests will park in an underground parking garage designed to look like a cliff face. They'll take shuttles up the hill to the main retreat campus, featuring lakes, forest and sprawling, well-manicured lawns.

A chapel modeled after St. Margaret Mary Catholic Church in Omaha and massive main building sit on a small lake. Visible in the distance are seven guest lodges, each designed by a different architect. And across the lake, scattered throughout a 2,500-foot trail that winds through the trees and up and down hills, are life-size sculptures marking the 14 Stations of the Cross.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

That place looks amazing. Here are a few of the pictures from the article showing the stations of the cross:

PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

Why do they need that massive building for a summer camp? This whole thing just confuses me, is it going to be some catholic convention center?
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

PotatoeEatsFish wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:33 pm Why do they need that massive building for a summer camp? This whole thing just confuses me, is it going to be some catholic convention center?
It was built as a retreat center with private funds, so they should be able to do whatever they want.
OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaOmaha »

PotatoeEatsFish wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:33 pm Why do they need that massive building for a summer camp? This whole thing just confuses me, is it going to be some catholic convention center?
They call it a "retreat", but it's really a cult compound and Ricketts is the divine leader of the flock.
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

OmahaOmaha wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:58 pm
They call it a "retreat", but it's really a cult compound and Ricketts is the divine leader of the flock.
I freaking knew it, everyone will doubt us.
Stay woke.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I love the Mediterranean/Spanish look of that building! (Although Omaha probably doesn't justify that architectural style as much as Kansas City, Oklahoma City, or Dallas does, I've always wanted to see them build more of that style in Omaha. When you get from the Dakotas north into Canada and the Artic, then it is kinda out of place, imo. But, Omaha doesn't quite have that "far frozen North" feeling, and still can pull it off. Some of my favorite architecture is of that style.) At first I was confused what this really was to, until I read the explanations. I could totally tell that was a Catholic Church, at first glance, by the design cues & elements.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Coyote wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:59 amJoe Ricketts 930 acre Retreat Center just south of the Holy Family Shrine and east of Schramm State Park
Sure you don't mean east of Mahoney?

South of Holy Family Shrine would be (north)west of Schramm.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omababe wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:49 am
Coyote wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:59 amJoe Ricketts 930 acre Retreat Center just south of the Holy Family Shrine and east of Schramm State Park
Sure you don't mean east of Mahoney?

South of Holy Family Shrine would be (north)west of Schramm.
Attachments
cp.JPG
cp.JPG (68.49 KiB) Viewed 3685 times
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
FirebirdEngineer
Home Owners Association

Post by FirebirdEngineer »

Every time I hear about this project, it gives me nothing but sketchy feelings about the whole thing, especially with Ricketts being the founder for the whole thing. The amount of money pouring into this project doesn't make a lick of sense to me, either. Engineers I've talked to that worked on it told me it was treated as an "unlimited budget" project, allowing designers to do whatever they wanted.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Kind of weird that people feel creeped out by this place. I think it's gorgeous and a nice addition to the metro. Then again, I'm Catholic so religious places don't bother me, I guess.
FirebirdEngineer
Home Owners Association

edsas wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:39 pm Kind of weird that people feel creeped out by this place. I think it's gorgeous and a nice addition to the metro. Then again, I'm Catholic so religious places don't bother me, I guess.
It's not that it's a religious site that weirds me out, it's the stupidly immense sums of money being shoveled into the project.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

FirebirdEngineer wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:06 am
edsas wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:39 pm Kind of weird that people feel creeped out by this place. I think it's gorgeous and a nice addition to the metro. Then again, I'm Catholic so religious places don't bother me, I guess.
It's not that it's a religious site that weirds me out, it's the stupidly immense sums of money being shoveled into the project.
Lets call this thing what it is. Rich and powerful old people have been trying to buy their way into Heaven for thousands of years. :shrug:
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:15 am
Lets call this thing what it is. Rich and powerful old people have been trying to buy their way into Heaven for thousands of years. :shrug:
Exactly. Or maybe it’s some tax loophole thing.
FirebirdEngineer
Home Owners Association

Louie wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:05 pm
Exactly. Or maybe it’s some tax loophole thing.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's a little of column A, a little of column B.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

PotatoeEatsFish wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:15 pm
OmahaOmaha wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:58 pm
I freaking knew it, everyone will doubt us.
Stay woke.
I totally agree with you. Why do rich people need to go to a luxurious place far from poverty to find spiritual bliss? Maybe it's not spiritual, maybe it's a refuge away from people with REAL problems.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I KNEW YOU WERE ONE OF US GRANDPA!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D STAY WOKE!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Feudal Lords built dozens of monasteries throughout Europe so they would have people praying for the repose of their souls in perpetuity. Lord Ricketts is just following history.
FirebirdEngineer
Home Owners Association

daveoma wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:36 pm
I KNEW YOU WERE ONE OF US GRANDPA!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D STAY WOKE!
Never in my life did I think I'd be in agreement with Grandpa over anything! :lol:
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Nobody bats an eye when a city spends over $120 million in public tax money to build a baseball stadium that's largely used only two weeks out of the year. But when private funds are used to build a Roman Catholic retreat compound, that's crossing the line.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

jessep28 wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:06 pm Nobody bats an eye when a city spends over $120 million in public tax money to build a baseball stadium that's largely used only two weeks out of the year. But when private funds are used to build a Roman Catholic retreat compound, that's crossing the line.
It's his money, he can do what he wants. Who made you all in charge of his money???
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

AND, I am not Catholic!
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

I saw some of that Cloisters on the Platte bread but never bought any. Its just Rotellas. I wonder if that genius idea is dead yet or are they going to make millions off it :what:

Cloisters Bread Article- https://www.omaha.com/news/metro/joe-ri ... 663b9.html
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

I refuse to eat bread now.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

EastCB wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:09 pm AND, I am not Catholic!
Yet!

Fr. Ignatius O'Flaherty Loyola S.J., B.F.D.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

jessep28 wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:06 pm Nobody bats an eye when a city spends over $120 million in public tax money to build a baseball stadium that's largely used only two weeks out of the year. But when private funds are used to build a Roman Catholic retreat compound, that's crossing the line.
Bingeaux.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

ricko wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:46 am
EastCB wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:09 pm AND, I am not Catholic!
Yet!

Fr. Ignatius O'Flaherty Loyola S.J., B.F.D.
:lol:
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

They both can be bad.