Aldi's

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Aldi's

Post by Coyote »

I drove past the new Aldi's being built out on Cleveland Blvd & West Maple (in front of Hobby Lobby), and it looks like the foundation is almost ready (sorry, didn't take any pics).

I've only been to the renovated Aldi's on 132nd and West Center, but does Aldi's usually take over bays instead of build their own? I don't know Aldi's practices enough to know if this is an unusual project...
image.jpg
image.jpg (205.45 KiB) Viewed 5305 times
nebugeater
City Council

Re: Aldi's

Post by nebugeater »

It has been qiete a gew years but when I was living in Cedar Rapids IA they built some new stores in that part of Iowa.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
lonnie
Library Board

Post by lonnie »

Aldi https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldi is a German based company, the same parent of Trader Joe's.

Interesting they decided to expand with Aldi and not Trader Joe's in Omaha.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

lonnie wrote:Aldi https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldi is a German based company, the same parent of Trader Joe's.

Interesting they decided to expand with Aldi and not Trader Joe's in Omaha.
Aldi and Trader Joe's serve very different purposes. Aldi tends to be much more low cost basics, and is very no-frills, whereas Trader Joe's is a niche, specialty and pre-prepared foods, and tends to cater more to the middle class up.

And in my experience, Aldi has always seemed to have their own buildings in Chicago.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Original
Home Owners Association

Post by Original »

I've been to a lot of Aldi's in the U.S. (and recently, Europe), and so I can answer the question about Aldi buildings -

In the Midwest, Aldi usually builds their own buildings, they rarely take over existing bays in shopping centers. In other, denser, East Coast states, they frequently take over bays. Actually, the one at 132nd and Center is the only non-freestanding one I've been in KS/NE/IA/MO (I'd guess I've been in 30+). The one I was recently in in London was not freestanding, but nothing really is there.

There are actually two Aldi corporations, as there were two brothers who split their company after a disagreement, and operate differently. There's Nord and Sud, and Aldi in the US is owned and operated by Sud. Trader Joe's is owned by the family that owns Nord, but is generally thought of as a separate company than Aldi Nord.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:does Aldi's usually take over bays instead of build their own?
The Aldi on North 90th, North 30th, and the Stockyards are all new construction. I guess I don't even remember one on 132.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:
Coyote wrote:Ibut does Aldi's usually take over bays instead of build their own?
The Aldi on North 90th, North 30th, and the Stockyards are all new construction. I guess I don't even remember one on 132.
At 132 & Center isn't it in the same building complex as Dave & Busters?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nebugeater wrote:
Brad wrote:
Coyote wrote:Ibut does Aldi's usually take over bays instead of build their own?
At 132 & Center isn't it in the same building complex as Dave & Busters?
Yes, to the south, towards the middle of the strip mall, which was recently renovated.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The 172 and Maple Aldi is just about finished. Sign is up, lights are on and they were just finishing up stuff in the parking lot last night. I'm sure they will be stocking the shelves before long.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

You don't have to look too hard at Aldis to find bugs, molds and fungus but they do have milk for less then 2 bucks a gallon. All and all the place is bad news and I should be slapped for going in there once in awhile. :yes:
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I'm happy to say that I enjoy shopping at Aldi. I only go a few times a year, as there are no locations near where I live. It is a little bit like mystery shopping, as you never quite know what might grab your eye.
And I have never found mold, fungus or bugs inside any of their stores. But then again, I take my meds.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I used to go to Aldi's very sparingly but now with a with and kid with another one on the way, I find myself there almost weekly. They have the cheapest produce by far of any grocery store. I commonly find whole pineapples for less than $1.50, whole cantaloupe for $.99 as well as peppers, tomatoes, and strawberries very cheap. One thing I have to say is that you have to eat the producer quickly though or it does seem to mold. It really is a fine line since many times the food isn't quite ripe, so you have to wait for it to fully ripen and then eat it before it goes bad. At any rate, I probably save 30-40% by buying produce here rather than HyVee.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

nativeomahan wrote:I'm happy to say that I enjoy shopping at Aldi. I only go a few times a year, as there are no locations near where I live. It is a little bit like mystery shopping, as you never quite know what might grab your eye.
And I have never found mold, fungus or bugs inside any of their stores. But then again, I take my meds.
It is impossible to go to Aldis and not find bugs fungus and mold. I got bugs for being a fool and shopping at Aldi's. I couldnt prove it was Aldi's but I knew it was them. So then I went back to Aldi's and started looking around and found the same type of bugs crawling around on packages in their store. Because once I started looking around ALdis I could see that it was clear to any fool that this store was a good place for civilized folks to stay out of if they knew what was good for them.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

skinzfan23 wrote:I used to go to Aldi's very sparingly but now with a with and kid with another one on the way, I find myself there almost weekly. They have the cheapest produce by far of any grocery store. I commonly find whole pineapples for less than $1.50, whole cantaloupe for $.99 as well as peppers, tomatoes, and strawberries very cheap. One thing I have to say is that you have to eat the producer quickly though or it does seem to mold. It really is a fine line since many times the food isn't quite ripe, so you have to wait for it to fully ripen and then eat it before it goes bad. At any rate, I probably save 30-40% by buying produce here rather than HyVee.
Shame on you for insulting Hy-Vee and comparing their first class produce section to Aldis third world produce section. You can not be serious :what:
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

No, I was saying the HyVee's produce is better but much more expensive. For bananas, however, I might as well get them at Aldi's. HyVees bananas are always so green and I like them so I can eat them in the next day or so.
Original
Home Owners Association

Post by Original »

We do most of our grocery shopping at Aldi, and I will agree that if you aren't cautious about your selection of produce there, sometimes it will spoil quickly or have issues. But the quality/cost trade off is usually worth it, as Aldi produce isn't that much worse than the aforementioned-in-this-thread Hy-Vee, and is significantly cheaper. We do buy some produce at Fareway when it is on sale, but I can't think of the last time I shopped for produce at Hy-vee. I don't understand why you'd throw your money away there.

But really, the best consistent place for green produce in town is the Asian Market off 75th and Dodge. Cheap, quality, abundant and regularly stocked. I've bought lots of produce there, and never had a single issue with it. In my experience in Omaha, any store that is owned by and caters to first or second generation immigrants from East Asian countries has great produce, and is cheaper than almost everywhere except Aldi.
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

I buy a lot of produce at Aldi's. The fresh greenbeans are so much better than any other grocery. Also, the fresh garlic, and peppers are great. I have never had any problems with mold, and I have kept them fresh for more than a week. I do go to HyVee but i don't want to be priceraped!!!Fareway is pretty good too.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

The main thing I have had a problem with is the strawberries having mold. If you eat them in 3 days or so you are fine....any longer and they always seem to mold. The only other frustrating thing is the bananas that are packaged in a bag, so you can't take any off if you don't like one in the bunch.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Omaha is blessed with having a huge selection of grocery chains, as well as a few decent independent stores. Then there are the farmer's markets in season.
While the selection is much better west of 72nd Street I appreciate having so many options, as no one store has everything I like. And don't forget the ethnic bakeries that are beginning to reemerge in the city. Several grocery stores are now emphasizing artisan bakeries, which is long overdue.
An interesting story on Omaha's grocery trends appeared in the May 6th World-Herald.
http://m.omaha.com/money/all-around-tow ... l?mode=jqm
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

171st and Maple Aldi Photo update

guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Grand Opening is Thursday morning. This Aldi junky is stoked to have one of these in his neighborhood. My understanding is that this one will sell beer and wine too. Loving me some Aldi booze.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

guy4omaha wrote:My understanding is that this one will sell beer and wine too. Loving me some Aldi booze.
This could actually be a big deal. They might bring in some hard to find German beers and wines, or at least it could be a place to buy German beer at a lower price.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
guy4omaha wrote:My understanding is that this one will sell beer and wine too. Loving me some Aldi booze.
This could actually be a big deal. They might bring in some hard to find German beers and wines, or at least it could be a place to buy German beer at a lower price.
Actually, they have beers and wines listed on their website. Looks like several mediocre Belgian and German beers. Hopefully the price is right.
https://www.aldi.us/en/grocery-home/beer/
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
Actually, they have beers and wines listed on their website. Looks like several mediocre Belgian and German beers. Hopefully the price is right.
https://www.aldi.us/en/grocery-home/beer/
Not every single Aldi store sells alcohol though. For example, 90th and Maplewood does. 132nd and Center does not. This new one on west Maole reportedly will. Some of their beers and wine are good for the money and some others are not. But they are frequently expanding or rotating the line-up. Some experimenting at a cheap Aldi price-point is part of the fun.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I am not impressed by their beer selection at all...
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Coyote wrote:I am not impressed by their beer selection at all...
20 new check-ins on Untappd :D I'm working towards 1500.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I love Aldi, but I would never even think to buy beer there. And the only bottle of wine I ever bought cracked while being opened. Never again.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Agreed. It's weak. Very weak...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Agreed. It's weak. Very weak...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Exactly. Giving the consumer a wide selection is not in the Aldi business model whatsoever. If you want pickles, it's pretty much one or two choices in terms of brands and sizes. If you want vanilla wafers, at Aldi it is one brand, one size box.

For the last 12 years or so that I have shopped there, if you wanted beer, you had three choices, some German import knockoff, a Heineken knockoff and Monterrey which is a Corona knockoff. Years ago I tried their German import but didn't like it. (Might possibly like it now as I am slowly developing a palette for more styles of beer over time.) I haven't tried a Heineken since college and didn't try the Aldi knockoff either. The Monterrey is not too bad of an imitation of Corona IMO. And besides a lime can cover up quite a bit of imperfection. If one likes Corona, they might like Monterrey. I have served it at parties and it makes quite the conversation starter as guests arrive, go to grab a cool one out of the cooler and ask you "What the heck is this?" haha. (Now I do stock the usual suspects also in the cooler for my guests. I am not that rotten.)

Recently Aldi does seem to be adding several craft beers. And by several I mean probably one example each of a few of the major styles.

By contrast, wine is perhaps the one item at Aldi where they offer something more than an absolute bare bones minimum in terms of selection. Not huge by any means but more than just one or two. And they seem to have maybe three tiers with their wines. And with the wines they have some constants plus an orbital grouping where they rotate wines in and out. Over time I have found three or four that are good IMO at their price points. And as I said before I like the adventure of the possibility finding a gem. Probably not everyone's cup of tea (uhhh, booze).

Anyway, Aldi is never going to be the place you stop in to see what their selection is on anything. I kind of like that I can be in my pantry at home and mentally visualize what is in each of their four aisles and accurately make out a grocery list. Aldi is designed to be a place where you can be quick, have no need to worry about making decisions on which jar, brand, etc. of baked beans to buy, and most of all to help you can save a large percentage on your staples. Just bring your quarter or you ain't getting a cart.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

I was there for the grand opening. It was nice and clean. There were quite a few people there.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:
Coyote wrote:does Aldi's usually take over bays instead of build their own?
The Stockyard Aldi's is getting a $700k+ renovation.
OverlookedFarm
Home Owners Association

Post by OverlookedFarm »

Aldi is owned by the same group that owns Lidl. For our socially conscientious bargain shoppers, might want to research that.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

OverlookedFarm wrote:Aldi is owned by the same group that owns Lidl. For our socially conscientious bargain shoppers, might want to research that.

I thought theywere rivals?
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Greg S wrote:
OverlookedFarm wrote:Aldi is owned by the same group that owns Lidl. For our socially conscientious bargain shoppers, might want to research that.

They are rivals, idk where overlookedfarm got that misniformation.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Greg S wrote:

Aldi and Trader Joe’s are the related ones, though I don’t believe they’re owned by the same company anymore.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association

Post by WBR_Tom »

Yeah, they're both German but Aldi and Lidl are bitter rivals, not partners. Here's an article talking about Lidl's announcement of an entrance into the U.S. market, and how Aldi not-so-coincidentally decided to greatly expand their U.S. footprint around the same time.

And this Bloomberg article nicely explains how Aldi and Trader Joe's came to be:
Aldi was founded more than a century ago when Anna Albrecht opened a small store in Essen, Germany. Her sons, Karl and Theo, took over in 1948 and quickly expanded. In 1962, the name became Aldi, shortened from Albrecht Discount. That same year, the brothers split the chain into two companies --Aldi Süd and Aldi Nord -- following a dispute about whether to sell cigarettes. Aldi Süd oversees the U.S. operations, while Aldi Nord runs the popular private-label grocer Trader Joe’s.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I love shopping both at Trader Joe’s as well as at Aldi’s. Must be evidence of my multiple personalities. :P
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Also from the Grow Omaha Radio Show "Uncut" video:

Aldi's taking 1/2 the Shopko on 144th and Center. This is in addition to the new store currently under construction at 192 and Center.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Brad wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:03 am Also from the Grow Omaha Radio Show "Uncut" video during the commercial breaks:

Aldi's taking 1/2 the Shopko on 144th and Center. This is in addition to the new store currently under construction at 192 and Center.

[youtube][/youtube]
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Good to see Aldi’s expanding in the Omaha market. I haven’t listened to Trenton’s Grow Omaha Uncut yet, but I’m wondering with their 144th and West Center expansion, what will happen with their current 132nd off West Center location :?: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!