West Farms/South Farms (144th Dodge/Pacific)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: nebugeater, Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad

Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Re: Boys Town and farmland (144th Dodge)

Postby Turtle9160 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:57 am

OverlookedFarm wrote:Noddle did say they were going to do a tree survey, not sure what those reults were.

I looked like when I went past West Farm on 144th during the week, most of trees were done and in piles in various spots

OverlookedFarm
New to the Neighborhood

Postby OverlookedFarm » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:03 pm

Yea. They took out all the mulberry treesin the fenceline and cut down the windbreaks at millard north. All the trees around the farm buildings are down. They havent done much more this week

Omaha_corn_burner
Library Board

Postby Omaha_corn_burner » Mon May 22, 2017 1:42 pm

Looks like parking will not be an issue for the retailers.

http://www.omaha.com/money/west-farm-de ... b5dec.html

Omaha_corn_burner
Library Board

Postby Omaha_corn_burner » Mon May 22, 2017 1:43 pm

Also, I thought they were going to try to keep all the farming buildings....which are still standing. This rendering shows that the buildings have all been demolished or moved.

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Mon May 22, 2017 9:12 pm

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:Looks like parking will not be an issue for the retailers.

http://www.omaha.com/money/west-farm-de ... b5dec.html

Wait. Is that a parking structure in the upper right of the draft pic, Yet surface parking stalls take up half this frame?

MKBK
New to the Neighborhood

Postby MKBK » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:07 am

It looks like all of the residential north of pacific is designed to have alleys and the homes are all close together and 2 stories. Who do they think is going to want to live in these type of homes? Certainly not empty nesters. I would think that families would want more green space. Are there enough millinieals in Omaha to make something like this work? I was hoping that there would be ranch homes and villas. Looks like I'll have to stay put in my 2 story or look to build way out west. Disappointed.

OverlookedFarm
New to the Neighborhood

Postby OverlookedFarm » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:54 am

Empty nesters that want to downsize space, and don't want to deal with downtown's unignorable issues.

Today, they have parked the earth moving equipment on the property along with the demo excavator. Some of the cottages are tagged for BTFD to burn, and some are being emptied out for demo. The cannery, barn, pavilion, office, horticulture shed and granary are not marked. I'm fearful the lead paint specter will eventually doom these since they are from 1926.

I expect the silt fence to be up this week and dirt to start moving.

They are cleaning up the existing trees along original property/pasture line.

TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Postby TitosBuritoBarn » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:52 pm

MKBK wrote:It looks like all of the residential north of pacific is designed to have alleys and the homes are all close together and 2 stories. Who do they think is going to want to live in these type of homes? Certainly not empty nesters. I would think that families would want more green space. Are there enough millinieals in Omaha to make something like this work? I was hoping that there would be ranch homes and villas. Looks like I'll have to stay put in my 2 story or look to build way out west. Disappointed.

You'll probably get a little bit of everyone. Personally my fiance and I don't believe you need a half acre of grass for every kid you pop out.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert

riceweb
Home Owners Association

Postby riceweb » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:44 pm

MKBK wrote:It looks like all of the residential north of pacific is designed to have alleys and the homes are all close together and 2 stories. Who do they think is going to want to live in these type of homes? Certainly not empty nesters. I would think that families would want more green space. Are there enough millinieals in Omaha to make something like this work? I was hoping that there would be ranch homes and villas. Looks like I'll have to stay put in my 2 story or look to build way out west. Disappointed.

Where are you seeing this? Are there photos somewhere or a project website?

Omaha_corn_burner
Library Board

Postby Omaha_corn_burner » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:40 am

riceweb wrote:

Where are you seeing this? Are there photos somewhere or a project website?

About 12 posts before this one, there is a link to a PDF file which has all the information you could want.

iamjacobm
City Council

Postby iamjacobm » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:09 am

Smaller lot homes with garages off of alley access rather than off the street is happening in a number of cities across the country. Even Lincoln has a neighborhood like that called Fallbrook.

The homes will be designed to look like the homes in Dundee most likely as well. Kind of a nod back to the streetcar suburb.

OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Re: West Farms/South Farms (144th Dodge/Pacific)

Postby OmahaFan » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:37 am

Regarding the housing concern's if the house's are Below $200,000 you could see a younger family moving into those house's. I also really like the rendering that is shown above. Very sleek and modern. I think those Farm building's will be on the south farm if I'm not mistaken. It would be nice to have some of that history incorporated into the new development. Since they did get it from Boy's town.

Omaha_corn_burner
Library Board

Postby Omaha_corn_burner » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:04 am

OmahaFan wrote: if the house's are Below $200,000

I'm hopeful that some of the housing is below $200,000 but I do not have my hopes up. Aksarben was really high on their presale prices.

OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Postby OmahaFan » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:50 am

I'm 27 and I got my house for $105,000 it's off 42nd and Vinton. So there is nice house's for that price but rare. I think once they master 3D printing house's prices might go down? Either way we need to keep housing affordable in Omaha. We don't need house prices sky rocketing up like San Francisco. My house that I'm currently in if it was in California would probably be $500,000 to $700,000. Crazyness!

Omaha_corn_burner
Library Board

Postby Omaha_corn_burner » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:50 am

OmahaFan wrote:I think those Farm building's will be on the south farm if I'm not mistaken. It would be nice to have some of that history incorporated into the new development. Since they did get it from Boy's town.

Looks like page 36 of the PDF shows the buildings staying in West Farm but being moved a few hundred feet south to that big park that borders 144th street.

Omaha_corn_burner
Library Board

Postby Omaha_corn_burner » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:14 am

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
OmahaFan wrote:I think those Farm building's will be on the south farm if I'm not mistaken. It would be nice to have some of that history incorporated into the new development. Since they did get it from Boy's town.

Looks like page 36 of the PDF shows the buildings staying in West Farm but being moved a few hundred feet south to that big park that borders 144th street.

The building(s) are being moved. They have the large barn across from the post office ready to be moved. Some other smaller buildings have started to be demolished, however they are demolishing them slowly. Maybe they are salvaging the wood, or maybe they are trying to recycle the scraps, I don't know.

RockHarbor
Human Relations

Postby RockHarbor » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:26 am

They redesigned it?!?! I'm so happy!! It looks so much better, imo. I'm way happier with it now, and much more excited that is going in. I'm glad they revamped it. It needed to be redesigned, imo. Before, I just did not like the idea of it. Now, I can't wait for it to be finished. (I think it is better because there are still features found of urban-minded design, but now softened a bit with a traditional suburban design aspect incorporated, making it blend into the area better overall. I felt it was too insensitive to the surrounding area before -- too big of a "urban splash" within a rambling suburban-scape.)

RockHarbor
Human Relations

Postby RockHarbor » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:03 pm

Another thing: Do you think Omaha will be able to support all this, the new planned shops on Giles, new planned shops at Southport, and the new LaVista development? Along with the indoor malls, Village Point & Shadow Lake, and the outlet mall, these new urban style developments (Aksarben Village, South/West Farm, LaVista City development, and maybe Crossroads), and all the big box stores & strip malls strung along Center & Maple, I just don't understand how they all make it. Just thinking about all this today...

Omaha_corn_burner
Library Board

Postby Omaha_corn_burner » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:23 am

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:The building(s) are being moved. They have the large barn across from the post office ready to be moved.

Correction, they are only moving the upper part of the barn, which is made from wood. The cinder block walls are being destroyed.

TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Postby TitosBuritoBarn » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:56 pm

RockHarbor wrote:Another thing: Do you think Omaha will be able to support all this, the new planned shops on Giles, new planned shops at Southport, and the new LaVista development? Along with the indoor malls, Village Point & Shadow Lake, and the outlet mall, these new urban style developments (Aksarben Village, South/West Farm, LaVista City development, and maybe Crossroads), and all the big box stores & strip malls strung along Center & Maple, I just don't understand how they all make it. Just thinking about all this today...

Nope. On top of "Amazonization" of retail, some of these are going to close down and be redeveloped or repurposed.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert

buildomaha
Home Owners Association

Postby buildomaha » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:06 pm

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:Another thing: Do you think Omaha will be able to support all this, the new planned shops on Giles, new planned shops at Southport, and the new LaVista development? Along with the indoor malls, Village Point & Shadow Lake, and the outlet mall, these new urban style developments (Aksarben Village, South/West Farm, LaVista City development, and maybe Crossroads), and all the big box stores & strip malls strung along Center & Maple, I just don't understand how they all make it. Just thinking about all this today...

Nope. On top of "Amazonization" of retail, some of these are going to close down and be redeveloped or repurposed.

For example amazing is predicted to use some of their newly purchased Whole Foods store locations as warehouses, whether traditional warehouses or storage for food ordered online and picked up by the consumers.

RockHarbor
Human Relations

Postby RockHarbor » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:55 pm

buildomaha wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:

For example amazing is predicted to use some of their newly purchased Whole Foods store locations as warehouses, whether traditional warehouses or storage for food ordered online and picked up by the consumers.
Interesting. I never thought of that. I love Amazon. Who doesnt?

TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Postby TitosBuritoBarn » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:32 pm

RockHarbor wrote:
buildomaha wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:

Brick and mortar retailers.

RockHarbor
Human Relations

Postby RockHarbor » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:52 pm

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:
buildomaha wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:

Brick and mortar retailers.
LOL. Good answer. Here I have the opportunity to transfer to another city, and I'm struggling, because it's hard for me to let go (at least partially) of Omaha. There's so much new stuff going in -- like this new project. Like my co-worker stated: "Omaha is up & coming." It is. You can feel it, imo. It's the most attractive it has ever been, imo.

Return to “Suburban Omaha Development”