Heartwood Preserve (144th Dodge/Pacific)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

OverlookedFarm
Home Owners Association

Re: Boys Town and farmland (144th Dodge)

Post by OverlookedFarm »

Yea. They took out all the mulberry treesin the fenceline and cut down the windbreaks at millard north. All the trees around the farm buildings are down. They havent done much more this week
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Looks like parking will not be an issue for the retailers.

http://www.omaha.com/money/west-farm-de ... b5dec.html
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Also, I thought they were going to try to keep all the farming buildings....which are still standing. This rendering shows that the buildings have all been demolished or moved.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:Looks like parking will not be an issue for the retailers.

http://www.omaha.com/money/west-farm-de ... b5dec.html
Wait. Is that a parking structure in the upper right of the draft pic, Yet surface parking stalls take up half this frame?
MKBK
New to the Neighborhood

Post by MKBK »

It looks like all of the residential north of pacific is designed to have alleys and the homes are all close together and 2 stories. Who do they think is going to want to live in these type of homes? Certainly not empty nesters. I would think that families would want more green space. Are there enough millinieals in Omaha to make something like this work? I was hoping that there would be ranch homes and villas. Looks like I'll have to stay put in my 2 story or look to build way out west. Disappointed.
OverlookedFarm
Home Owners Association

Post by OverlookedFarm »

Empty nesters that want to downsize space, and don't want to deal with downtown's unignorable issues.

Today, they have parked the earth moving equipment on the property along with the demo excavator. Some of the cottages are tagged for BTFD to burn, and some are being emptied out for demo. The cannery, barn, pavilion, office, horticulture shed and granary are not marked. I'm fearful the lead paint specter will eventually doom these since they are from 1926.

I expect the silt fence to be up this week and dirt to start moving.

They are cleaning up the existing trees along original property/pasture line.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

MKBK wrote:It looks like all of the residential north of pacific is designed to have alleys and the homes are all close together and 2 stories. Who do they think is going to want to live in these type of homes? Certainly not empty nesters. I would think that families would want more green space. Are there enough millinieals in Omaha to make something like this work? I was hoping that there would be ranch homes and villas. Looks like I'll have to stay put in my 2 story or look to build way out west. Disappointed.
You'll probably get a little bit of everyone. Personally my fiance and I don't believe you need a half acre of grass for every kid you pop out.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

MKBK wrote:It looks like all of the residential north of pacific is designed to have alleys and the homes are all close together and 2 stories. Who do they think is going to want to live in these type of homes? Certainly not empty nesters. I would think that families would want more green space. Are there enough millinieals in Omaha to make something like this work? I was hoping that there would be ranch homes and villas. Looks like I'll have to stay put in my 2 story or look to build way out west. Disappointed.
Where are you seeing this? Are there photos somewhere or a project website?
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

riceweb wrote:
Where are you seeing this? Are there photos somewhere or a project website?
About 12 posts before this one, there is a link to a PDF file which has all the information you could want.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Smaller lot homes with garages off of alley access rather than off the street is happening in a number of cities across the country. Even Lincoln has a neighborhood like that called Fallbrook.

The homes will be designed to look like the homes in Dundee most likely as well. Kind of a nod back to the streetcar suburb.
OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Re: West Farms/South Farms (144th Dodge/Pacific)

Post by OmahaFan »

Regarding the housing concern's if the house's are Below $200,000 you could see a younger family moving into those house's. I also really like the rendering that is shown above. Very sleek and modern. I think those Farm building's will be on the south farm if I'm not mistaken. It would be nice to have some of that history incorporated into the new development. Since they did get it from Boy's town.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

OmahaFan wrote: if the house's are Below $200,000
I'm hopeful that some of the housing is below $200,000 but I do not have my hopes up. Aksarben was really high on their presale prices.
OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaFan »

I'm 27 and I got my house for $105,000 it's off 42nd and Vinton. So there is nice house's for that price but rare. I think once they master 3D printing house's prices might go down? Either way we need to keep housing affordable in Omaha. We don't need house prices sky rocketing up like San Francisco. My house that I'm currently in if it was in California would probably be $500,000 to $700,000. Crazyness!
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

OmahaFan wrote:I think those Farm building's will be on the south farm if I'm not mistaken. It would be nice to have some of that history incorporated into the new development. Since they did get it from Boy's town.
Looks like page 36 of the PDF shows the buildings staying in West Farm but being moved a few hundred feet south to that big park that borders 144th street.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
OmahaFan wrote:I think those Farm building's will be on the south farm if I'm not mistaken. It would be nice to have some of that history incorporated into the new development. Since they did get it from Boy's town.
Looks like page 36 of the PDF shows the buildings staying in West Farm but being moved a few hundred feet south to that big park that borders 144th street.
The building(s) are being moved. They have the large barn across from the post office ready to be moved. Some other smaller buildings have started to be demolished, however they are demolishing them slowly. Maybe they are salvaging the wood, or maybe they are trying to recycle the scraps, I don't know.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

They redesigned it?!?! I'm so happy!! It looks so much better, imo. I'm way happier with it now, and much more excited that is going in. I'm glad they revamped it. It needed to be redesigned, imo. Before, I just did not like the idea of it. Now, I can't wait for it to be finished. (I think it is better because there are still features found of urban-minded design, but now softened a bit with a traditional suburban design aspect incorporated, making it blend into the area better overall. I felt it was too insensitive to the surrounding area before -- too big of a "urban splash" within a rambling suburban-scape.)
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Another thing: Do you think Omaha will be able to support all this, the new planned shops on Giles, new planned shops at Southport, and the new LaVista development? Along with the indoor malls, Village Point & Shadow Lake, and the outlet mall, these new urban style developments (Aksarben Village, South/West Farm, LaVista City development, and maybe Crossroads), and all the big box stores & strip malls strung along Center & Maple, I just don't understand how they all make it. Just thinking about all this today...
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:The building(s) are being moved. They have the large barn across from the post office ready to be moved.
Correction, they are only moving the upper part of the barn, which is made from wood. The cinder block walls are being destroyed.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

RockHarbor wrote:Another thing: Do you think Omaha will be able to support all this, the new planned shops on Giles, new planned shops at Southport, and the new LaVista development? Along with the indoor malls, Village Point & Shadow Lake, and the outlet mall, these new urban style developments (Aksarben Village, South/West Farm, LaVista City development, and maybe Crossroads), and all the big box stores & strip malls strung along Center & Maple, I just don't understand how they all make it. Just thinking about all this today...
Nope. On top of "Amazonization" of retail, some of these are going to close down and be redeveloped or repurposed.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:Another thing: Do you think Omaha will be able to support all this, the new planned shops on Giles, new planned shops at Southport, and the new LaVista development? Along with the indoor malls, Village Point & Shadow Lake, and the outlet mall, these new urban style developments (Aksarben Village, South/West Farm, LaVista City development, and maybe Crossroads), and all the big box stores & strip malls strung along Center & Maple, I just don't understand how they all make it. Just thinking about all this today...
Nope. On top of "Amazonization" of retail, some of these are going to close down and be redeveloped or repurposed.
For example amazing is predicted to use some of their newly purchased Whole Foods store locations as warehouses, whether traditional warehouses or storage for food ordered online and picked up by the consumers.
#gohawks
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

buildomaha wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
For example amazing is predicted to use some of their newly purchased Whole Foods store locations as warehouses, whether traditional warehouses or storage for food ordered online and picked up by the consumers.
Interesting. I never thought of that. I love Amazon. Who doesnt?
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

RockHarbor wrote:
buildomaha wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
Brick and mortar retailers.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:
buildomaha wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
Brick and mortar retailers.
LOL. Good answer. Here I have the opportunity to transfer to another city, and I'm struggling, because it's hard for me to let go (at least partially) of Omaha. There's so much new stuff going in -- like this new project. Like my co-worker stated: "Omaha is up & coming." It is. You can feel it, imo. It's the most attractive it has ever been, imo.
MKBK
New to the Neighborhood

Post by MKBK »

I'm just surprised that there aren't going to be any ranch style homes. Two and three stories are great when you are younger but don't make sense as you age. As an empty nester, I'm certainly interested in a smaller yard but wouldn't consider these houses because they aren't all on one level. For years a number of my friends and neighbors talked about wanting to build in this area when it finally got developed. None of us have any interest now.

Also wonder about the garages in the alleys. Won't snow removal be difficult? It kind of looks like the large houses in South Farm (next to St. Wenceslaus) have deattached garages. Does that make sense in Nebraska?
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Lots of detached garages around here in Detroit. Alleys too. In some older areas near us no garages at all, just driveways. People deal with it. Not too different from apartment complexes with no garages.

I would agree on the lack of ranch houses. While not necessarily popular in newer suburbs as I age I become less of a fan of stairs. There is a lot to be said for getting up from the couch or easy chair and stumbling down the hall to the bed. I get the feeling that at 58 I'm older than two or three of you put together. Well, except for Jeff.
MKBK
New to the Neighborhood

Post by MKBK »

And not older than me! Maybe there will be a market for this. I just don't see it. My kids might like it but they can't afford it.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

NovakOmaha wrote:There is a lot to be said for getting up from the couch or easy chair and stumbling down the hall to the bed. I get the feeling that at 58 I'm older than two or three of you put together. Well, except for Jeff.
Gosh. I'm 55 and this passage actually made "The Don" feel quite young..

Thanks Novak :;): ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

MKBK wrote:And not older than me! Maybe there will be a market for this. I just don't see it. My kids might like it but they can't afford it.
I see a market for residential elevators in this development...
http://remihomeelevators.com/101.41
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:There is a lot to be said for getting up from the couch or easy chair and stumbling down the hall to the bed. I get the feeling that at 58 I'm older than two or three of you put together. Well, except for Jeff.

Ciao..LiO...Peace
It's really not the years. It's the mileage. I got a million on me. You? You're still young & damn handsome. Clean livin' brother.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

GetUrban wrote:
MKBK wrote:And not older than me! Maybe there will be a market for this. I just don't see it. My kids might like it but they can't afford it.
Don't knock it. Lately I can really see the value in those stairlift commercials.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I think many would be surprised of the number of people that frequent here that are on the + side of 50.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

nebugeater wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I think many would be surprised of the number of people that frequent here that are on the + side of 50.
Is that because we all cry like children when a tower goes from 20 stories, to 15? :D
No posts exist for this topic
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

nebugeater wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
You guys are the ones with the experience and knowledge!
#gohawks
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

NovakOmaha wrote:
GetUrban wrote:
Don't knock it. Lately I can really see the value in those stairlift commercials.
Can't disagree with this point, lol..

Now excuse me, as our friend MadMartin8 has pointed out, I need to have as solid cry.. As I'm sure there is some highrise development proposal in Omaha that has been cut from 20 to 8 stories :lafcry: ..

Great responses guys. Carry on :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
OverlookedFarm
Home Owners Association

Post by OverlookedFarm »

Im sure many of you have seen the news articles and passing by on the progress

1. Cottages are completely removed and burned and backfiled.
2. Windbreak pens and knocked down. All the posts pulled up and concrete removed.
3. Horse barn roof removed by Scrib's and placed next to the pavillion
4. The Cannery and Garage are taped off for asbestos. Likely shingles. I bet they get demolished.
5. Granary and feed barn are coming down board by board, not sure if they are trying to rebuild or barnwood something.
6. Old Farm office was flattened 2 weeks ago
7. One of the modern grain bins was taken down bolt by bolt a month ago.

Heavy scraping along new new boulevard. Raccoons are running wild. I notice the manufacture date on the heaps of barbed wire and fence posts left on the property. November 1987. Thats when the easement was likely build for the new pasture.

Sad in a way. History is slipping away.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

OverlookedFarm wrote:Sad in a way.
I'm pretty excited.

They've really seemed to have picked up the pace on grading this week. They are making a lot of progress.

In other news, the are widening the intersection at 132nd and Pacific.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I was looking at Oak View today and thinking about the impact all this will have on a slightly struggling mall. Then, it hit me: Maybe it will help Oak View overall. For example, if people are at West Farm shopping, and a family member all of a sudden says she needs to go to Bath & Body Works at Oak View afterwards, it may bring people to the mall, the area, the vicinity, that might not have if just Oak View was there. As long as they offer different stores & restaurants, then maybe it will boost the mall.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

yellowcolumbia wrote:From Sunday's bulletin:
St Wenceslaus is purchasing 16 acres for the new church. Proposed floor plan available after masses 12-13November. Groundbreaking 24September2017.
http://www.stwenceslaus.org/giving/737-new-church-plans

Renderings for the new church at the link.
Spork
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Spork »

I am very excited for this project and truly hope that it pans out they way they are planning. Omaha is in desparate need of this kind of development thats uses styling from the older neighborhoods and makes it (hopefully) more affordable.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

West Farm will be tweeting updates:
https://twitter.com/WestFarmOmaha