Heartwood Preserve (144th Dodge/Pacific)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Busguy2010
County Board

Re: West Farms/South Farms (144th Dodge/Pacific)

Post by Busguy2010 »

Is 144th being widened to three lanes around Pacific? That would make more sense but it looks too narrow, more like parallel parking width. Kinda scratching my head about it.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Busguy2010 wrote:Is 144th being widened to three lanes around Pacific? That would make more sense but it looks too narrow, more like parallel parking width. Kinda scratching my head about it.
Yes, from Eldorado to Pine.

http://www.keepomahamoving.com/144th.html
KeepOmahaMoving.com wrote:As part of the 144th Street Improvements and the West Farm and South Farm Development efforts, roadway improvements will be made on 144th Street, Pacific Street, and the off ramps to West Dodge Road.

144th Street will be widened from a 4-lane divided roadway to a 6-lane divided roadway from FNB Parkway/Eldorado Drive south to Pine Street. The 144th and Dodge interchange off ramps will be widened to add dual right turns, and Pacific Street will be reconstructed to allow for dual left turns into both West and South Farm developments.

Additionally, there will be some miscellaneous median work to allow for new entrances along 144th Street and Pacific Street into West Farm and South Farm and new traffic signals will be installed along the corridor.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

I heard a rumor last weekend I absolutely hate and many on here will too. I hope to God it isn't true.

Rumor is Mutual of Omaha is relocating its headquarters here. Not just the bank. Everything.

Depression/anger commence.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:I heard a rumor last weekend I absolutely hate and many on here will too. I hope to God it isn't true.

Rumor is Mutual of Omaha is relocating its headquarters here. Not just the bank. Everything.

That doesn't surprise me in the slightest to be honest. I was wondering what Downtown company would move out west to be 'closer to their workers' to this land.
No posts exist for this topic
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

Wow that would be such a huge letdown and terrible timing on their part. People are starting to move back into the city and with them moving out to the suburbs they will end up being further from the educated workforce they will need in the future.
#gohawks
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:I heard a rumor last weekend I absolutely hate and many on here will too. I hope to God it isn't true.

Probably true. For whatever reason the need for sustainability, progress, and emulating great cities doesn't seem to catch on much in Omaha. They might as well also build an adjacent enclosed shopping mall and connect everything with a series of limited access, elevated highways. Then they can demolish their old headquarters and fill it in with about 7 Celebrity built houses on 1 acre lots - a development that will have a geographically descriptive name but be the literal opposite of that name, like Palm Mountain or Pleasant Estates.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

Its hard to believe that they have woke up and realized it would be so nice to get out of the hood. I don't believe it. I say it flat out aint happening! The bank is a really small part of the whole business and the banks are located around town just like any other banks. Seems to me that if Mutual was moving out west they would buy their own land and develop it themselves.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:

Its hard to believe that they have woke up and realized it would be so nice to get out of the hood. I don't believe it. I say it flat out aint happening! The bank is a really small part of the whole business and the banks are located around town just like any other banks. Seems to me that if Mutual was moving out west they would buy their own land and develop it themselves.
You really do look at the world through a very small keyhole don’t you...
#gohawks
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

buildomaha wrote: You really do look at the world through a very small keyhole don’t you...
I look at this rumor that Mutual of Omaha is moving to West Dodge to be full of huge holes not just little key holes. I would like to see Mutual move out West but I don't see it happening. I don't see how Mutual abandons their current campus along with MidTown without losing a fortune. If Mutual can figure out how to bail out of downtown to West Dodge without taking a huge haircut then they would be fools not to do it. If that makes me the bad guy for agreeing that it would be a good idea if they could pull it off then so be it.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I don’t really believe they would bail on midtown after investing so much into the area. If anything they’d move to the development east of Turner Park.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

HR Paperstacks wrote:

I don’t really believe they would bail on midtown after investing so much into the area. If anything they’d move to the development east of Turner Park.
The building is old and designed for an insurance paradigm that no longer really applies to them. They are renting out more and more of the space and maybe have figured out that they could be more profitable in a smaller streamlined HQ and rent the rest of the old space out to others. Midtown Crossing is a maturing investment and they are not likely to see much more profit from it as the cost of maintenance and the ongoing costs of recruiting business tenants continues to climb. This could be a sign that MofO is looking to cash out.
OverlookedFarm
Home Owners Association

Post by OverlookedFarm »

144th and dodge might as well be considered midtown for many west omahans. Easy to lose sight that a large amount of residential and far west north and south of this crossroads.

I for one, welcome any major business relocating to West Farm. The commute from downtown to Overlook Farm is appalling at night. I've been commuting 20 years and it's never been this bad as it has the past few years. I'll jump at the chance to work where I live. The downtown business district is fragile at best. Gavilon, UP, FNB shedding jobs. High vacancy rates abound, stunted developments and low to midrise killing the master plan hopes and dreams. Millenials that crave the "gig economy" refuse to commute if they dont have to. They want to skinny jean next door to the office 2 times a week.

Did a quick tour of the property last weekend. All the barnwood is stuffed in the astro building pavillion. Surprised they can save this. Its gotta be coated in lead paint. They also a have large large stonework on pallets. Im guessing that the stonework is remnants from "old Main" after it burned down in the 1930s. I need to look at photos to confirm. They also moved the Model T ford truck to the shed.

Boys town has since moved their garden to "south farm" on Farm road. It's restricted to walk or drive on the road if you are non-resident. They also put up a new astro building north of the existing building.

On the "Grow Omaha" podcast, Noddle said that they found asbestos in the AO Smith Harvestore silo which is stalling their plans to move and repurpose it. Sounds like and excuse. I've been up and down the silo and it's nothing but steel, the unloader motor, chain, left over silage and bat |expletive|.

Fun GIS website to look at old aerials of Douglas County. Be sure to utilize the "Historic" zoom button on the bottom left.

https://www.dogis.org/Html5Viewer/?viewer=dogis

They have overseeded the graded areas to prevent runoff.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

OverlookedFarm wrote:Millenials that crave the "gig economy" refuse to commute if they dont have to. They want to skinny jean next door to the office 2 times a week.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

Mutual of Omaha is behind all the development underway east of Turner Park. Midtown crossing is doing fine, all of Park avenue went from ghetto to posh in the last decade, Blackstone District is filling in fast to the West, and The Landing is under construction to the North. There offices have gone from an island in a sea of despair, to prime real estate. If anything I could see them move into new office buildings they are building around their campus and tearing down or redeveloping their existing buildings for more mixed use space.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Obviously I'm aware of that. Just posting what I heard.
Omahanerd
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Omahanerd »

Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

"Developer Noodle (yes, that’s right)"

Tee-hee, I like how they misread Noddle and reaffirmed that it is, indeed, Noodle.

I won't lie, a while when by when Aksarben first started, that I legitimately thought it was Noodle.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

I don’t really understand why this project was included next to those two given they’re much larger projects, especially the one in LA, I’ve been following it for a while and it’s very impressive.
#gohawks
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

This kind of senior living is going to be huge in the coming years. Seems to be a perfect fit for West Farm for people wanting to downsize and cut out responsibilities and get a ton of amenities in return.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Wow....sounds like "West Farm" is turning into "Best Farm" (To Be In). Sounds successful.... That's great.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

144th & Pacific will be closing tomorrow night to replace the signal. Will re-open Saturday.

Then starting Monday, Pacific will be moving to head-to-head traffic. This will last three months.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Is there shopping & stuff built there yet? Google Maps doesn't update their satellite aerials as frequently as they used to (it seems to me), so I've been unable to keep up with the current state of things.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
FirebirdEngineer
Home Owners Association

Post by FirebirdEngineer »

RockHarbor wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:36 pm Is there shopping & stuff built there yet? Google Maps doesn't update their satellite aerials as frequently as they used to (it seems to me), so I've been unable to keep up with the current state of things.
They're only doing site work on the West/South Farm developments right now.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Thanks for letting me know. I've been curious... :)
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I went to our annual HOA meeting tonight and they had Noddle present the plans. I wish I could have gotten some pictures of the boards, but I got there a little late and they left before the meeting was over.

Anyways, they said there will be a high-end H&H dealership right at 150th & Dodge and east of there to 144th will be big box stores. I'm not too impressed with that aspect, but they did say they could plant some decorative things between them and Dodge so you don't see the back ends of them from Dodge.

In the main part of the development just south of there, there will be a couple office buildings - one six stories and the other 10. Then there will be a street with a wide median along what will be Farnam with some stores in the median. This area will be more like Aksarben Village but with residential on top. In fact this whole area alone is the size of Akvil.

On the east side, there will be a pretty decent sized park which will have a dog park section.

On the west side by Applied Parkway will be a high-end hotel but that will probably be build a little later.

West of Millard North will be a senior living center along with some smaller lot single family houses.

South of Pacific will be custom built houses and bigger lots. Applied Underwriters will be in South Farm closer to 144th.

Most of the infrastructure will be done this fall and they will start building phase one then.
Doctor Fate
Human Relations

Post by Doctor Fate »

HR Paperstacks wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:40 pm I went to our annual HOA meeting tonight and they had Noddle present the plans. I wish I could have gotten some pictures of the boards, but I got there a little late and they left before the meeting was over.

Anyways, they said there will be a high-end H&H dealership right at 150th & Dodge and east of there to 144th will be big box stores. I'm not too impressed with that aspect, but they did say they could plant some decorative things between them and Dodge so you don't see the back ends of them from Dodge.

In the main part of the development just south of there, there will be a couple office buildings - one six stories and the other 10. Then there will be a street with a wide median along what will be Farnam with some stores in the median. This area will be more like Aksarben Village but with residential on top. In fact this whole area alone is the size of Akvil.

On the east side, there will be a pretty decent sized park which will have a dog park section.

On the west side by Applied Parkway will be a high-end hotel but that will probably be build a little later.

West of Millard North will be a senior living center along with some smaller lot single family houses.

South of Pacific will be custom built houses and bigger lots. Applied Underwriters will be in South Farm closer to 144th.

Most of the infrastructure will be done this fall and they will start building phase one then.
Awesome! Thanks for the update. I've heard they are wanting higher-end retail, possibly new to the area, for the big box stores. Any idea if that is true?
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

HR Paperstacks wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:40 pm I went to our annual HOA meeting tonight and they had Noddle present the plans. I wish I could have gotten some pictures of the boards, but I got there a little late and they left before the meeting was over.

It sounds unimpressive in writing, just because I saw this as a great opportunity to build a new old-style neighborhood, and that's sort of what the earlier renderings were suggesting, at least to me. Thank you for the insight, and this is definitely better than corn fields. I just took some vague looks at the vague renderings in the past and put together that this might be sort of like the Sterling neighborhood in Denver. It sounds like it'll be different from Sterling and maybe I'm wrong for expecting that type of work to be done in Omaha. No problem.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Sounds okay..

I'm not sure why developers are still pursuing the big box retail concept when trends in retail show the industry is quickly getting away from that. At the very least they should build the stores on top of the parking lots so they'll be more efficient with space and it'll be easier to repurpose them in the future.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

Did they say anything about a tech company with 500+ employees building there or is that still just a rumor?
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

CyborgKen wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:20 pm I've heard they are wanting higher-end retail, possibly new to the area, for the big box stores. Any idea if that is true?
I think they said something about new to the area stores. They were unable to tell us much more about it since they are still negotiating.
TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 9:43 am I'm not sure why developers are still pursuing the big box retail concept when trends in retail show the industry is quickly getting away from that. At the very least they should build the stores on top of the parking lots so they'll be more efficient with space and it'll be easier to repurpose them in the future.
Yeah, that's something that disappointed me too. But the inner part centered around Farnam will be really cool.
Trips wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 3:28 pm Did they say anything about a tech company with 500+ employees building there or is that still just a rumor?
I didn't hear anything about that.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

I drove up the gut of this thing on Pacific street today and its one of the biggest dirt-tastrophes I have ever seen in Omaha. Dirt is just blowing everywhere. Its been blowing around like that for the past 2 months. Anyone that lives anywhere near there must just about feel like they are living through the dust storms of the 30's. It don't seem right that they should be allowed to let that dirt blow around like that.
ryan311
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ryan311 »

What "high end" brand does H&H handle? It would make much more sense for Woodhouse to relocate Porsche or put the rumored Bentley dealership there.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

ryan311 wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:23 pm What "high end" brand does H&H handle? It would make much more sense for Woodhouse to relocate Porsche or put the rumored Bentley dealership there.
They said what the brands were, but I can't really remember anymore. One was some sports car and another was Hummers.
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

H&H has BMW, Mini, Jaguar and Land Rover that will all need a new home when Top Golf takes over there land.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Trips wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 3:12 pm H&H has BMW, Mini, Jaguar and Land Rover that will all need a new home when Top Golf takes over there land.
Those sound like what they told us.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Sounds like a typical suburban neighborhood in one section, an "L Street Marketplace" with some big box stores in another section. Throw in the park at the end.

Bummer, but this means less cannibalism from the other true entertainment/districts.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

MadMartin8 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 5:08 pmSounds like a typical suburban neighborhood in one section, an "L Street Marketplace" with some big box stores in another section. Throw in the park at the end.

Bummer, but this means less cannibalism from the other true entertainment/districts.
Well that with an AkVil in between it all.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

HR Paperstacks wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 5:33 pm
MadMartin8 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 5:08 pmSounds like a typical suburban neighborhood in one section, an "L Street Marketplace" with some big box stores in another section. Throw in the park at the end.

Well that with an AkVil in between it all.
AkVil? When did we start shortening the name to be that? :( *groans*

Anyways, I'd be curious to see how much like Aksarben village it truly is. From the earliest renders posted, it didn't very close, but those probably have changed a bit.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Tons of info in the article about the CB riverfront, but mostly newish info on West Farm.

https://morningsky.com/omaha/posts/nodd ... ng-to-take
"Two office buildings are anticipated to start this fall on Davenport Street: a 125,000 square foot six-story building and a 200,000 square foot eight-story building with a 1,200 stall parking structure situated between. Negotiations are ongoing with two major tenants.