Heartwood Preserve (144th Dodge/Pacific)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

RockHarbor
Planning Board

Re: Boys Town and farmland (144th Dodge) up for redevelopment

Post by RockHarbor »

I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Can the city just take over those farm parcels, or will they have to annex Boys Town all together? All that farm ground is incorporated.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
guest2016
New to the Neighborhood

Post by guest2016 »

jessep28 wrote:Can the city just take over those farm parcels, or will they have to annex Boys Town all together? All that farm ground is incorporated.
They will no longer be part of Boys Town, which will allow the parcels to be annexed at a point when it makes financial sense to the city. Boys Town proper will remain a separate entity within the city - just as it always has been.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Ben wrote:Plus, none of this land is "shovel ready" - its all pure farmland, with no water/sewer/electrical service. That's a relatively large expense that the developer will have to foot. Nevermind the timeline that this will take to accomplish. If this truly is HDR, as everyone's assuming, they'll really need to kick it into overdrive, as they were barely able to hit their required timelines downtown, and that was with all of the infrastructure relatively easily connectable.
^ This..

And it's a great point. Unless we have people who are "in the board room" during HDR's decision as to where they'll locate, all we can do here is purely speculate. I have no clue where they'll wind up. He!!, just 3 weeks ago, I was imagining how their new Downtown HQ building would look along the skyline next to the Capitol District..then that vision went "POOF"..

I still hold out hope, as faint as I believe it is, HDR will find their way back into downtown..

In any case, I predict we should know something within the next 5 business days (by next Friday)...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaOmaha »

This is where the mega mixed-use european village development will be.
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

OmahaOmaha wrote:This is where the mega mixed-use european village development will be.
Oh you.
yellowcolumbia
Home Owners Association

Post by yellowcolumbia »

yellowcolumbia wrote:
Coyote wrote:
guest2016 wrote:
OverlookedFarm wrote:There has been strong rumor for 2 years that this was going to be sold. However, the DeMarco property was the plot twist. St. Wenceslaus was in sort of a gentlemans agreement to buy part of that property to expand and build a new church. I guess that went out the window.
St Wenceslaus is building a new church. It's $27 million, $10 million was donated by Wayne and Eileen Ryan. They are having a ground breaking ceremony on May 5. That's on part of the DeMarco land.
The new St Wenceslaus would be on the land SOUTH of Pacific? Correct ?
That is correct, south of pacific, next to the existing compound.
I'm pretty sure that a May groundbreaking would have to do with the school addition that is coming first. The new church is further off.
This mornings bulletin confirms that the May 5th groundbreaking is for the school addition. Six new classrooms, to be open for the 2017-2018 school year.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Does that family still live on the farmhouse on that land? Here, I'm eyeing it closer when I'm in that area of town, and I just noticed a woody patch or section that looked like an area where a farmhouse sits within trees -- not too far from Millard North on Pacific. But, I couldn't get a good look from 144th. Anyways, so the church is getting started, but when is the rest of the land going to get streets & stuff?
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
OverlookedFarm
Home Owners Association

Post by OverlookedFarm »

RockHarbor wrote:Does that family still live on the farmhouse on that land? Here, I'm eyeing it closer when I'm in that area of town, and I just noticed a woody patch or section that looked like an area where a farmhouse sits within trees -- not too far from Millard North on Pacific. But, I couldn't get a good look from 144th. Anyways, so the church is getting started, but when is the rest of the land going to get streets & stuff?
Yes, the original OWH article updated to say that the Demarco's are still going to live on the property in the house. This was part of the arrangement.

I would imagine it would take 10+ years to get all of this developed, much like the FNB business park (new in 1997, still not fully developed, lots in front of Bank of the West and the east wing of First National Bank (graded, not completed). I can't see Boys Town and the Demarco's agreeing to anything that doesn't "fit" the neighborhood, which will limit the development to commercial office space, retirement communities, lower key retail.

Again, I think folks are a bit overzealous on how fast this will move along. There is a a lot of area still available in the general area. Sterling Ridge (Ironwood GC), Blumkin Farm (property next to Costco), The lots owned by AGP next to their building on Dodge, and the vacant space in Seville and Westside Church. And, if you go futher east, the entire 114th st corridor where Bag and Slave was. That is prime spot for office.

Let's also not forget that Miracle Hills GC has mulled sale for many years.

Getting too far south towards Center is getting low rent nowdays. Seems no amount of investment in retail and commercial space can turn that area around.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

OverlookedFarm wrote: Yes, the original OWH article updated to say that the Demarco's are still going to live on the property in the house. This was part of the arrangement.

I would imagine it would take 10+ years to get all of this developed, much like the FNB business park (new in 1997, still not fully developed, lots in front of Bank of the West and the east wing of First National Bank (graded, not completed). I can't see Boys Town and the Demarco's agreeing to anything that doesn't "fit" the neighborhood, which will limit the development to commercial office space, retirement communities, lower key retail.

Again, I think folks are a bit overzealous on how fast this will move along. There is a a lot of area still available in the general area. Sterling Ridge (Ironwood GC), Blumkin Farm (property next to Costco), The lots owned by AGP next to their building on Dodge, and the vacant space in Seville and Westside Church. And, if you go futher east, the entire 114th st corridor where Bag and Slave was. That is prime spot for office.

Let's also not forget that Miracle Hills GC has mulled sale for many years.

Getting too far south towards Center is getting low rent nowdays. Seems no amount of investment in retail and commercial space can turn that area around.
Oh. I always think that is interesting when somebody sells their land for suburban development, but then end up keeping a small patch of land w/ their original house intact. They must be really attached to the place. I see that type thing here & there throughout suburban Omaha (like near Staple Chase Apts on Maple, like the house near 192nd & Harrison). However, I know of a family that lived out near Bennington on a farm (as a teen, I helped them spray beans), and once suburbia reached them, they sold off the land, and now live in a bigger, nicer house.

Yeah, it is a pretty big patch of land to develop, and I think 10 years sounds about right. I know the owner said something about not selling...unless people were "good stewards of the land." I get that concept, but I don't understand who wouldn't be "good stewards of the land", if sold for a typical office park, school, shopping center, subdivision, or apartments. Wouldn't any of those typical things qualify for "good stewardship?" I've been thinking about that since I read it. I'm just wondering what kind of examples he would object to. Just curious...
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Well, it's not HDR..

From the W-H:

"A part of Warren Buffett’s empire is behind the planned transformation of a nearly 500-acre tract that includes high-profile Boys Town farmland near 144th Street and West Dodge Road.

Applied Underwriters Inc., acquired a decade ago by Omaha-based Berkshire Hathaway, is finalizing a contract to buy the undeveloped land from Boys Town and the DeMarco family, Omaha developer Jay Noddle told The World-Herald.

On a piece of the vast farm area, Applied Underwriters intends to build a new hub for its local workforce of between 650 and 700. The rest is to become more offices, shops, housing, restaurants, hotel rooms, public space and more.

Said Noddle: “These are spectacular pieces of property that, developed together, will be a tremendous addition to the Omaha community.”

Noddle, whose firm was tapped to be master developer, said Applied Underwriters will retain an executive headquarters in the San Francisco Bay area but wanted an investment opportunity and updated digs for its main business operation, which has been in Omaha since 1998..."

The link:
http://www.omaha.com/money/applied-unde ... l?mode=jqm

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Boystown development

Post by Coyote »

Applied Underwriters, part of Berkshire Hathaway, is company planning to develop Boys Town farmland near 144th, West Dodge
Cindy Gonzalez - World-Herald staff writer wrote:On a piece of the vast farm area, Applied Underwriters intends to build a new hub for its local workforce of between 650 and 700. The rest is to become more offices, shops, housing, restaurants, hotel rooms, public space and more.
43county
Home Owners Association

Post by 43county »

This won't do anything to quiet the NFM rumors.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Great anchor.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I am glad it's all being developed together by someone with some with some good mixed use experience. It would be see this much open space pieced together with no real master plan.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

KETV's story on the Applied Underwriters announcement.

http://bit.ly/1TKqQYb
15-17, 26, 32
OverlookedFarm
Home Owners Association

Post by OverlookedFarm »

Planting the last crop this morning, cultivated last night. Btpd posted up at farm.
charlie123
Home Owners Association

Post by charlie123 »

HDR was offered (By Applied Underwriters) the corner/highest profile parcel (144th & Dodge) as Applied Underwriters wants to build further back on either parcel (DeMarco or Boystown). This was before they decided to build downtown...then since backed out of that deal. The article a couple months ago hinted that HDR still have the option. The land purchase had to first have Warren's approval. If and perhaps NFM is looking to relocate, as a BRK company, they would be given the option first as they would require a significant portion of either property. Applied Underwriters is planning on building 3 office buildings similar to those in the Old Mill Business Park which they leased after First Data vacated them over 12 years ago to move to Aksarben.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Re: Boys Town and farmland (144th Dodge)

Post by RockHarbor »

It's going to be nice to have 144th lined with office buildings, restaurants, businesses, ect., along there. I'm so used that gap of country through there, between NW Omaha and the Millard area. It will be nice to have it all connect as a continual suburbanscape. I met a lady here that moved here from California, and lives in suburban Omaha, and she thought this seemed like the countryside at first. You almost can't blame her with this big chunk of farm fields & trees & farm in the center of suburban Omaha.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Noddle with a rezoning request for the land SW of 144th and Pacific. Gears are cranking here.
zippy
Home Owners Association

Post by zippy »

I received an email telling about a "Developer Town Hall Meeting" on 10/3 at 6:30pm at St Wenceslaus Church. It reads "The purpose of this meeting is for Noddle Companies to present the details of the proposed development to adjacent home owners, community associations and stake holder, and to provide an opportunity to answer questions".

I'm hoping to attend. Does anybody have any useful questions to ask?

There also a meeting on Thursday, 10/6, at 6:30pm at Common Ground called "Mayor Town Hall Meeting". It seems like it will focus on District 6.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

zippy wrote:I'm hoping to attend. Does anybody have any useful questions to ask?
Do they plan to widen 144th street?
OverlookedFarm
Home Owners Association

Post by OverlookedFarm »

From the meeting;
1. Boulevard will connect 150th dodge to pine street at 144th.
2. Will be east bound off ramp from dodge, reconfig intersections.
3. Grading will be done in one swipe, start may 2017, finish following year.
4. Ped bridge like the one on memorial park will cross pacific on west edge of boys town propperty
5. Additional access to mnhs off boulevard through existing fb practice fields
6. Applied underwriters will be in center of south farm, built for room for expansion
7. Noddle plans to try to maintain or move some west farm buildings (granary and harvestore where depicted) as part of a new farm-market concept. Garden will be move to where the apple trees are now.
8. 2600 total new residents from condos, apts, senior living, mansion single fam houses
9. 4 star hotel, operator yet to be named
10. Green space will remain on western edge of west farm and be expanded. Trees and path on 144th on south farm will remain
11. 10mi of trails, parks.
12. Water retention ponds on all low lying areas you see today.
13. Community green space directly north of mnhs baseball diamond with pond, amphitheater
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

This is a rumor obviously but I had heard Boystown placed a restriction on the land not allowing big box retail.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Thanks for the info! I walked to school at St. Wenc for 5 years when I was a kid so I basically grew up right around all of this. Not a lot has changed in that area in the almost decade since I moved out. Very interested to see how this comes together.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Thanks Overlooked Farm! Keep us informed if you hear anything else.
zippy
Home Owners Association

Post by zippy »

OverlookedFarm wrote:From the meeting;
Thanks, OverlookedFarm! I was at the meeting, and appreciate the summary. I was impressed by the amount of green space and the fact that it was a complete plan, rather than vaguely-described sections and phases. Can't wait for the renderings to be made available online!
OverlookedFarm
Home Owners Association

Post by OverlookedFarm »

Ill post a pic of the plan shortly
OverlookedFarm
Home Owners Association

Post by OverlookedFarm »

Hard to see, so I MSPainted it.

-Black circle is hotel
-Red lines is boulevard
- Orange circle is pond greenspace, amphitheater
-Gray circle is AU HQ
-Yellow Circles are single fam homes
-Purple line is the ped bridge
-Blue Circles are other office buildings
-Red circles are mixed use condo/apt/1st floor retail, etc Ak village type stuff
-Green is the farmers market area. The green spot to the right in the circle is the new garden

Noddle expects that 85% buildout by 8 years time. The project is 6 times larger than the FNBO-LindenEstates-CommFed project. Streets and utilities going in first. 10mi of trail is to circle and cross the property. Trying to get trail connections through Peidmont-Wycliff and Harvey Oaks. All road stubs in place now will be utilized. They want to keep as much greenspace as possible. The creek area directly south of pacific at about 150th is going to be a park area.
Attachments
Boystownreplat.jpg
Boystownreplat.jpg (62.29 KiB) Viewed 19337 times
Last edited by OverlookedFarm on Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OverlookedFarm
Home Owners Association

Post by OverlookedFarm »

Here is a rendering of the farm buildings farm-garden area

One thing to point out is, the area between MNHS and Wycliffe, is like the 3rd highest point in Douglas CO. Should be spectacular views. my only concern is how the amphitheater will "fit" next to MN and Boys town.

My property backs to the west farm, I think it will be great for me. Boys Town kinda stopped caring this year.
Attachments
farmmarket.jpg
farmmarket.jpg (84.41 KiB) Viewed 19335 times
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

That's amazing! I wish that was around when I was at Millard North.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Wow looks great!

EDIT: Also I am just curious, did they mention if there was a name for the development? You know something with Village or Crossing or Pointe in the name?
OverlookedFarm
Home Owners Association

Post by OverlookedFarm »

iamjacobm wrote:Wow looks great!

EDIT: Also I am just curious, did they mention if there was a name for the development? You know something with Village or Crossing or Pointe in the name?
No mention by jay noddle. He said there was more emphasis on working in the historical element of boys town west farm than demarco. I would imagine it would have a name referencing that.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

OverlookedFarm wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Wow looks great!

No mention by jay noddle. He said there was more emphasis on working in the historical element of boys town west farm than demarco. I would imagine it would have a name referencing that.
Boystowne Weste ?
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Boys Towne Pointe
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Boys Towne Centre Pointe

Let's see if we can get 2 bedroom condos for under $200,000 and monthly fees around $200
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Looks like it will be really good! Here's hoping they stick to the plan.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Dang the article said $1.2 billion in assessed value. No mention of TIF as well...
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

The original Legacy rendering reminded me of this. I do like Legacy, but it's a far from cry from the grandiose plan which was originally presented.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.