60th & Harrison LLC

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

60th & Harrison LLC

Post by Coyote »

As mentioned in another thread the NE acreage of 60th & Harrison is being developed. Right now this area is getting earth work done:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (73.62 KiB) Viewed 1391 times
There is an elevated road going E/W down the middle:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (56.18 KiB) Viewed 1391 times
And if you notice another high wall of dirt in the back.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (61.41 KiB) Viewed 1391 times
I presume this is in the flood plain, and so they are following certain guidelines for the development of...
BRoss
IT Director

Re: 60th & Harrison LLC

Post by BRoss »

It will be nice to fill in this area. But I can't imagine much more than a neighborhood to be developed since there isn't great access. I'd really like to see that whole area along the creek south to Cornhusker and beyond fill in someday. It's kind of a big hole in the metro.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

HR Paperstacks wrote:It will be nice to fill in this area. But I can't imagine much more than a neighborhood to be developed since there isn't great access. I'd really like to see that whole area along the creek south to Cornhusker and beyond fill in someday. It's kind of a big hole in the metro.
Yeah there is still a ton of land between 36th and 66th and Cornhusker and Harrison.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I totally agree. It is a "hole" in the metro between Papillion/LaVista and Bellevue, and thankfully, there isn't much left to fill-in there. And, it is slowly being developed.

I don't know about you, but the way that 60th street (with a nice exit on I-80) takes you straight south, but then turns into a series of strange, strong turns, finally ending at Harrison, really bothers me, as that area develops. Looking at a map, I was thinking it would be nice if they could straighten out those turns, and bring 60th Street downward straight south, and then angle it along that creek, finally connecting it at Cornhusker and 48th -- or something. 72nd Street is the only street down there that nicely connects you to I-80 and Dodge both.

I think ever straightening-out roads, or redoing a road's historic pattern, is probably a bigger ordeal (in real life) than I make it out to be. They hardly ever change any existing road pattern in this town -- even if something better would work. Yet, still...they've blocked-off and are taking out parts of the meandering Military Road in NW Omaha. So, it does happen.

I wonder what they are building there?
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Habits76
Home Owners Association

Post by Habits76 »

This will be a salvage yard owned by Pink Grading. I live nearby and seen all the dirt work being done and was hoping for something more than this.

http://www.omaha.com/sarpy/papillion/pr ... 10085.html
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

A good chunk of that farmland around 60th and Harrison is in a flood plain (dark blue). You also have the BNSF tracks to the North. People love to complain about train noise, so I speculate that any development will mostly be low density industrial like the Pink salvage yard, or non-retail commercial.

Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

A salvage yard makes sense there. Just north of there, it is the same thing. I've been to one of those salvage yards before. I hope they put a nice big wall around it.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I would like to see the floodplain south of Harrison become a giant park...like Fairmount park in Philadelphia.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Habits76 wrote:This will be a salvage yard owned by Pink Grading. I live nearby and seen all the dirt work being done and was hoping for something more than this.

http://www.omaha.com/sarpy/papillion/pr ... 10085.html
Maybe it will even have a pair of guard dogs :banger:
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

choke wrote: Maybe it will even have a pair of guard dogs :banger:
It's funny, I kinda thought of that when this post was started. I think because of that phrase: "He's/She's as mean as a junkyard dog." Those salvage yards are needed, but are so bleak. Seriously, when I was at one, and sitting in the dirty, dusty trailer office seeking a certain part, it just reminded me of that sci-fi movie District 9. (I don't suggest seeing that if you haven't.)

Anyways, I think: Why can't they just put all those junk yards into one main area outside of town, and then straighten out those curves on that 60th Street, and clean that whole area up? Those junkyards are likely the main reason for that "hole" in the metro, imo.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

RockHarbor wrote:
It's funny, I kinda thought of that when this post was started. I think because of that phrase: "He's/She's as mean as a junkyard dog." Those salvage yards are needed, but are so bleak. Seriously, when I was at one, and sitting in the dirty, dusty trailer office seeking a certain part, it just reminded me of that sci-fi movie District 9. (I don't suggest seeing that if you haven't.)

Anyways, I think: Why can't they just put all those junk yards into one main area outside of town, and then straighten out those curves on that 60th Street, and clean that whole area up? Those junkyards are likely the main reason for that "hole" in the metro, imo.

And ruin a perfectly good rural or suburban area? :;):
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

nebugeater wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:

True! Yet, I was kinda thinking of that landfield (or whatever it is I spot on Google Maps Satellite View) NW of Bennington, up near Arlington -- an area already scarred & blighted, way, way out of town. Something like that.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

RockHarbor wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:

True! Yet, I was kinda thinking of that landfield (or whatever it is I spot on Google Maps Satellite View) NW of Bennington, up near Arlington -- an area already scarred & blighted, way, way out of town. Something like that.
Maybe it will be an upscale junkyard with autos like Lexus, BMW and Porsche. The junkyard dogs will be Paris Hilton Chihuahuas in pink purses.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Ok. If I can re-direct your chihuahuas for a moment to address a real issue...
Here at the 60th & Harrison St. corridor and south, we have a flood plain issue, and the question of what COULD be built here.
It is a big island in the Metro, but I cannot remember a single project ever to have been proposed...
So, for what could this land actually be zoned?
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

choke wrote: Maybe it will be an upscale junkyard with autos like Lexus, BMW and Porsche. The junkyard dogs will be Paris Hilton Chihuahuas in pink purses.
lol That would be kinda a good idea! A lot of Lexus, BMW, & Porsche owners probably don't want to go to any salvage yards, so why not create an upscale one?

COYOTE: I just saw some video that showed they are going to fix that flood threat issue with reservoirs. The video showed a flood in the 1960's that was incredibly high for the Papillion Creek system. Where did I see that video? I can't even recall... Anyways, maybe that land will be buildable then. Because so many subdivisions are lining our big creek systems in Omaha, I guess I never knew that was the reason for the "hole" in the Metro down there.