370 North (I-80 & 370)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

370 North (I-80 & 370)

Post by Brad »

Sad day, the old Barn that has proudly sat on top of the hill over looking Highway 370 and I80 is being dismantled. That really could have been a signature part of a new development. All the walls are already gone, only leaving the roof and the framing.
Brad
City Council

Re: NW of I80 and 370

Post by Brad »

Here is a photo I took several years ago.

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I posted on Facebook too, but that is a beautiful picture.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:I posted on Facebook too, but that is a beautiful picture.
Thanks! Its a fake. :;): This is a really old photo. I was out shooting with the1wags when he still lived in Omaha and he has been gone for 6 years. I am guessing this is closer to 7 or 8 years old now. It's not something I normally do, but I was looking through the photos and noticed one where the wind had blown enough the that auto focus had jumped to the foreground so I tried blending them together to create a larger depth of field. If you look close at the flowers on the left, you can see the horrible job I did blending. Anyways, I always told myself to get out an re-shoot this, but today, i realize I waited too long... It was really windy that night so I had a shallow depth of field to increase the shutter speed. Now days I would have bumped up the ISO and been more patient with the wind and waited for the right moment to click the shutter. While I sometimes cringe when I look at my old photos, its good to see stuff like this and realize my technical skills have improved over the years. My goal is to keep learning and keep improving. I have also become a lot more patient as a photographer. I use to run around an take as many photos as I can. Now days my goal is to take the best photos I can.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Wow... I knew someday that old barn would go (of course). Yes, great picture of it, Brad, with those prairie sunflowers...

And, that barn: Almost anybody could get a picture of that picturesque barn at that angle, it seems, and people would like it. And, the funny thing was it never looked like a busy I-80 and encroaching Omaha suburbia was just beyond it. I'm gonna miss that old barn. I'm glad that area is getting developed, though.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

The really sad part of seeing this go is that it is not a solo event. If you get off the beaten path onto the rural highways and gravel roads these grand old barns are falling apart all over the place. I get that this one, because of location, may have had some opportunities that many do not but it is far from the only piece if this type of history going away.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Brad: I don't know how important ALL barns are to you -- or not. But, the ole' red one at the corner of 192nd & Maple is about to go...along with the house...because of development. Just FYI.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Rumor has car dealerships/Auto Malls taking up this corner, possibly moving from the Westroads area.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

This story in the OWH today says it will be commercial development

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/century ... d9e43.html
The land where what’s left of the barn sits is owned by Dowd Grain Co.
Duane Dowd, an Omaha attorney, said his family bought the property in the early 1970s. Last year was the final year that it will be used for farmland, he said; the property is being graded and will be developed for commercial use.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

nebugeater wrote:This story in the OWH today says it will be commercial development

Duane Dowd, an Omaha attorney, said his family bought the property in the early 1970s. Last year was the final year that it will be used for farmland, he said; the property is being graded and will be developed for commercial use.
Oh, I was just coming here to post this same article. You beat me to it! (You know it was a special barn if there was an article in the paper about it. I'm trying to figure out what made that barn so special to everybody -- including me. Location? Design?)
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Fantastic drone video from Facebook's Nebraska through the Lens

Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

RockHarbor wrote:
nebugeater wrote:This story in the OWH today says it will be commercial development

Oh, I was just coming here to post this same article. You beat me to it! (You know it was a special barn if there was an article in the paper about it. I'm trying to figure out what made that barn so special to everybody -- including me. Location? Design?)

location because it has been seen for a few years since the trees came down
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

$200 million development plan for land off I-80 includes auto dealerships, retailers

Dowd has brought in prominent developer Jay Noddle to lead development of the property, and plans are moving forward for a project that could attract at least $200 million in investment.
Auto dealerships, retailers, distribution centers, warehouses and wholesalers are all part of plans for the more than 350 acres.

The plan is for auto dealerships and retailers to go north of Highway 370. To the south, there’ll be more retailers as well as wholesalers, distribution centers and warehouses. A limited service hotel also would fit easily, Noddle said.

While roads and sewers for the development should be finished this year, it will take a number of years for the project to be fully built out, Dowd said. Once it is, the area could employ up to 2,000 full-time and part-time employees.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Why is the thread NW of I80 when the barn and developments are to the south of 90?
15-17, 26, 32
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

MTO wrote:Why is the thread NW of I80 when the barn and developments are to the south of 90?
it should really be NE of I-80 and 370 because it is on the NE intersection of I-80 and 370.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Dowd Property (NE of I-80 & 370)

Post by Coyote »

So it is.
MTO
City Council

Re: Dowd Property (NE of I-80 & 370)

Post by MTO »

Whaaaaaa no protestors.
[youtube][/youtube]
15-17, 26, 32
Coyote
City Council

Re: 370 North (I-80 & 370)

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (164.43 KiB) Viewed 723 times
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Re: 370 North (I-80 & 370)

Post by RockHarbor »

Sad. That barn is/was special. I hope they develop some office parks off I-80 through there, and not just industrial -- almost like what Johnson County, KS did preparing for Corporate Woods and Overland Park a sufficient time beforehand.