Facebook Data Center

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 6178
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Facebook Data Center

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:21 pm

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:The announcement: http://www.omaha.com/money/facebook-to- ... 0baa4.html

Looks like 100 or so workers after it is completed.


Another win for the "Silicon Prairie"..

Nice get for the Omaha metro :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

damonhynes
Home Owners Association
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Facebook Data Center

Postby damonhynes » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:39 pm

Greg S wrote:What would qualify as an exciting data center?


CoughcoughPornHubcough :shock:
https://www.facebook.com/OmaNews/

Joe_Sovereign
Library Board
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:57 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Facebook Data Center

Postby Joe_Sovereign » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:07 pm

From The OWH

Image

Greg S
County Board
Posts: 3610
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Facebook Data Center

Postby Greg S » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:19 pm

damonhynes wrote:
Greg S wrote:What would qualify as an exciting data center?


CoughcoughPornHubcough :shock:


Now that would qualify.

WBR_Tom
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:02 pm
Location: Papillion, Omaha, and Everything in Between

Re: Facebook Data Center

Postby WBR_Tom » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:17 pm

Some more background info from the Papillion Times:

Work on the site is expected to begin immediately. Dan Madrigal, who works on acquisitions for infrastructure for Facebook, said if weather cooperates, they expect the facility to be completed in two years. He anticipates there will be "a couple hundred" permanent jobs once the facility is complete.


http://www.omaha.com/sarpy/papillion/fa ... 559f5.html

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 6082
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Facebook Data Center

Postby nebugeater » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:27 pm

WBR_Tom wrote:Some more background info from the Papillion Times:

Work on the site is expected to begin immediately. Dan Madrigal, who works on acquisitions for infrastructure for Facebook, said if weather cooperates, they expect the facility to be completed in two years. He anticipates there will be "a couple hundred" permanent jobs once the facility is complete.


http://www.omaha.com/sarpy/papillion/fa ... 559f5.html



Pretty good growth already. Went from 100 permanent jobs in the first announcement I read to a couple hundred in less than 8 hours.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

NovakOmaha
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1553
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

Re: Facebook Data Center

Postby NovakOmaha » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:05 pm

nebugeater wrote:
WBR_Tom wrote:Some more background info from the Papillion Times:

Work on the site is expected to begin immediately. Dan Madrigal, who works on acquisitions for infrastructure for Facebook, said if weather cooperates, they expect the facility to be completed in two years. He anticipates there will be "a couple hundred" permanent jobs once the facility is complete.


http://www.omaha.com/sarpy/papillion/fa ... 559f5.html



Pretty good growth already. Went from 100 permanent jobs in the first announcement I read to a couple hundred in less than 8 hours.


Well, as big as it looks there will be a lot of dusting and mopping and general cleaning to do, not to mention the bathrooms. In addition, big lawn to mow and lots of shoveling in the winter.

User avatar
Stargazer
County Board
Posts: 3927
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:06 am
Location: west Omaha

Re: Facebook Data Center

Postby Stargazer » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:13 pm

This data center will employ little more than 100 network/hardware admins in the end.

Once upon a time, a facility this size would employ several thousand (with a high school education).

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20616
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: Facebook Data Center

Postby Coyote » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:03 pm

Stargazer wrote:This data center will employ little more than 100 network/hardware admins in the end.

Once upon a time, a facility this size would employ several thousand (with a high school education).


What would be the salary differences?
Image

OmahaFan
Home Owners Association
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Facebook Data Center

Postby OmahaFan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:06 am

I'm excited to see that Facebook is investing in the Omaha Metro area. We have Great data center's already in the Metro area. We have 3 Google data center's, Yahoo, Travelers , Tier Point , First Data, Scott's (UNO) and now Facebook! If we can keep enticing companies to build their data center's in the Metro area or even to relocate their headquarters's to Nebraska it would be a big win for Omaha and Iowa all around! Job wise the most jobs will be for Security and janitorial staffing. Idk if Facebook has in house security or contracted security but a Data center that size needs a good size security force to make sure data isn't taken out. As for actual Facebook jobs it wouldn't be much. As far as salaries they make a good amount of money I'd say probably the average salary there would be $60,000 to $80,000 year if you worked for Facebook there.

Also this should be a wake up call for OPPD to invest heavily into wind energy and possibly Solar energy as well. If you want to get tech companies you need to entice them with clean energy. Most companies love gloating that they run on 100% clean energy.

michaelt
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:28 am

Re: Facebook Data Center

Postby michaelt » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:13 am

Now if only a creative person could setup a camera near the site, and take a time lapse video over the next few months. It would be interesting to see how quickly the site is developed. I heard on the last episode of Grow Omaha that construction is already well underway in less than a week of the announcement, impressive!

User avatar
Brad
City Council
Posts: 28470
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Re: Facebook Data Center

Postby Brad » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:26 am

michaelt wrote:Now if only a creative person could setup a camera near the site, and take a time lapse video over the next few months. It would be interesting to see how quickly the site is developed.


If its anything like the travels data center, it won't even be visible from the road.
Image
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

NovakOmaha
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1553
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

Re: Facebook Data Center

Postby NovakOmaha » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:00 pm

From todays owh story about the 6 year journey to landing the Facebook data center a couple of things are clear.

1) The Greater Omaha Chamber stumbled in preparing shovel ready land for large developments. Over the years they did. Why not recently I just don't understand.

2) With all the bloviating about clean energy it appears that this wasn't that big an issue.

damonhynes
Home Owners Association
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Facebook Data Center

Postby damonhynes » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:41 pm

You can see Springfield from the construction site, but the sign on the corner at NE-50 reads "Papillion Data Center". Sigh.
https://www.facebook.com/OmaNews/

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20616
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: Facebook Data Center

Postby Coyote » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:51 pm

damonhynes wrote:You can see Springfield from the construction site, but the sign on the corner at NE-50 reads "Papillion Data Center". Sigh.

Papillion city limits are just west of Springfield (see the map I just posted) hence, closer to the Data Center. Springfield had a lot to say about that annexation, but ultimately lost. Springfield will be Papillion's Ralston.
Image

damonhynes
Home Owners Association
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Facebook Data Center

Postby damonhynes » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:29 pm

Coyote wrote:
damonhynes wrote:You can see Springfield from the construction site, but the sign on the corner at NE-50 reads "Papillion Data Center". Sigh.

Papillion city limits are just west of Springfield (see the map I just posted) hence, closer to the Data Center. Springfield had a lot to say about that annexation, but ultimately lost. Springfield will be Papillion's Ralston.


Better than Papillion's Richfield, lol!
https://www.facebook.com/OmaNews/

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20616
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: Facebook Data Center

Postby Coyote » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:14 am

Better than Papillion's Richfield, lol!

Oops, that's what I meant
Image

damonhynes
Home Owners Association
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Facebook Data Center

Postby damonhynes » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:54 am

Coyote wrote:
Better than Papillion's Richfield, lol!

Oops, that's what I meant


:-)
https://www.facebook.com/OmaNews/

Greg S
County Board
Posts: 3610
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Facebook Data Center

Postby Greg S » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:23 am

I did see that Facebook recently crossed the 2 billion users mark.

Greg

Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations
Posts: 522
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:16 pm

Re: Facebook Data Center

Postby Omaha_corn_burner » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:34 am

Greg S wrote:I did see that Facebook recently crossed the 2 billion users mark.

Actually, 2 billion monthly active users


Return to “Suburban Omaha Development”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests