Meta (Facebook) Data Center (Hwy 50 & Capehart)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Re: Facebook Data Center

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

Brad wrote:I used Google to count the cars a Google :;):

Google in Council Bluffs (newer, large facility)
300+ permanent parking stalls
500+ temporary construction parking stalls
On Sunday June 5, 2016, 200+ Cars in the permanent lot, 70+ Cars in the temporary construction lot

Google in Councl Bluffs (older, smaller facility)
200+ permanent Parking Stalls
On Sunday June 5, 2016, 80+ cars in the parking lot

However on that same Sunday 5/5/2016
Yahoo had about 2 dozen and Fidelity and Travelers each had about a dozen.

I guess it varies how many employees by company???
I work in the Data Center industry including having worked in the past in actual Data Centers. I can't possibly imagine what those 270 people are doing in the Google Data Center on Sunday unless they are construction workers building out new zones in the data center.

The Data Center I worked at (smaller than these facilities) routinely had 6 people in the Data Center at 10 am on a Tuesday who were doing any work that required them to be onsite. After hours or on weekends mostly there was one Security Guard. There were people configuring servers or such who sometimes were on site but 90% of the time, they just as easily could have been in Bennington or Beijing because their work does not require physical contact with any equipment.

Perhaps these companies are using their presence in Omaha to hire workers who are doing other non data center related jobs which would be a great benefit to the community. However every piece of modern IT and modern Data Centers are designed to function with as little human interaction as possible.
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

Some of these numbers from 2013/2014 and each of these facilities expanded multiple times. Does a facility with 2.5 million square-feet need 2x, 3x, 4x the number of employees as one a quarter of the size?

Prineville with about 600,000 square-feet had 150 full-time employees (Including contractors) not including construction.
Altoona with 476,000 square-feet had 75 employees.
Apple in the Prineville has a 338,000 square-feet site with 90 employees.

For the construction of one 600,000 square-feet facility they had 1,500 workers with an average of 250 on site each day.

For renewable energy and a wind far they use a credit system but still pull from the grid like a normal business. Over the course of the year the renewable energy produced should equal what they use.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Good luck Joe. People seem to think this will create lots of permanent jobs and the people will be making $100k+

I'm sitting a dozen feet from the doors to a data center. 98% of the time there is nobody in there.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

bmt wrote:
Trips wrote:Facebook also likes to be Carbon Neutral on everything they do. In Iowa they had wind farms built by a utility so the electricity they purchased could be considered Carbon Neutral.
A wind farm running running a data center sounds kind of risky. Does the Iowa site have some kind of energy storage system, or any other sources of carbon neutral energy(solar?) for when the wind is not blowing?
The FB data center in Texas recently built was mainly wind farm driven. I also believe the new FB Data Center in New Mexico is wind farm/ solar as well.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:Good luck Joe. People seem to think this will create lots of permanent jobs and the people will be making $100k+

I'm sitting a dozen feet from the doors to a data center. 98% of the time there is nobody in there.
So 1 permanent job then? Doesn't match the numbers given to the state when applying for credits. Are you sure?
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Erik wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:Good luck Joe. People seem to think this will create lots of permanent jobs and the people will be making $100k+

So 1 permanent job then? Doesn't match the numbers given to the state when applying for credits. Are you sure?
I don't understand what you are asking. I do not work for Facebook.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
Erik wrote:

I don't understand what you are asking. I do not work for Facebook.
Sorry. I was assuming that you could connect the dots. I need to spell it out here.

You stated that a data farm you are nearby is almost always empty. That, to me, means that noone is being paid to be present at the facility. However, these data farms apply for state credits with a number of permanent jobs ranging from dozens to hundreds.

I am digging for further clarification or a breakdown of your 98% empty statement.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Greg S wrote:What would qualify as an exciting data center?
Personally, I'd like to see Amazon.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I'm surprised they are building all these data centers. What if people stop using Facebook more & more? Myspace was so big at one time. Now, who even goes there?

I am using Facebook much less, personally...

Also, I was glad to reunite with people from my past, but I just don't feel I have to spend my entire life around people I went to HS & elementary school with. That's not natural, unless you stay in the same small town your entire life (imo). Most people don't, including me. I never wanted that, so why would I want it online?
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

RockHarbor wrote:I'm surprised they are building all these data centers. What if people stop using Facebook more & more? Myspace was so big at one time. Now, who even goes there?

Also, I was glad to reunite with people from my past, but I just don't feel I have to spend my entire life around people I went to HS & elementary school with. That's not natural, unless you stay in the same small town your entire life (imo). Most people don't, including me. I never wanted that, so why would I want it online?
Data continues to get bigger, photos and videos higher resolution, and with HDR and 4K coming closer and closer and to mainstream those will be big jumps in file size.

Data has to be stored redundantly.

If Facebook went under the day after the center the center was built, you can bet some hosting company or someone would love to pick up a discount datacenter like that.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Erik wrote:I am digging for further clarification or a breakdown of your 98% empty statement.
It's a room full of computers. Humans are not needed most of the time. Occasionally the filters for the air conditioner need to be changed. Occasionally new servers are installed or old ones are moved around. Otherwise, an admin sitting in California can do all the other work.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

RockHarbor wrote:I'm surprised they are building all these data centers. What if people stop using Facebook more & more? Myspace was so big at one time. Now, who even goes there?

Facebook is not just www.facebook.com They have other businesses also. They are moving into video now too
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kathleencha ... 69d5d635ee
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
Erik wrote:I am digging for further clarification or a breakdown of your 98% empty statement.
It's a room full of computers. Humans are not needed most of the time. Occasionally the filters for the air conditioner need to be changed. Occasionally new servers are installed or old ones are moved around. Otherwise, an admin sitting in California can do all the other work.
Not only do they not need people on site. The Admin in California is spending his time refining the automation tools that allow deployment, monitoring, patching, and trouble responses to happen with zero human interaction.

There are Data Center models were Ocean Container sized Pods of servers are hermetically sealed and designed never to have a human inside of them. These pods are shipped to the data center, then plugged into power, network and cooling and run for 3 to 5 years without any physical interaction with anyone at the site. If Servers inside the pod fail they are simply shutoff and the rest of the pod functions as normal. The pod would then be shipped back for disassembly and salvage. Replaced with a new pod of the latest and greatest hardware.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Interesting. The TV now, too? Facebook has been fun in the last decade, but I'm growing tired of it all, personally...
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:

Facebook is not just http://www.facebook.com They have other businesses also. They are moving into video now too
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kathleencha ... 69d5d635ee
"As of the fourth quarter of 2016, Facebook had 1.86 billion monthly active users. In the third quarter of 2012, the number of active Facebook users had surpassed 1 billion. Active users are those which have logged in to Facebook during the last 30 days."

As for Myspace, here's their story...
http://www.forbes.com/sites/adamhartung ... 048d2c7023

I don't see facebook dying any time soon, with or without your participation. People said McDonalds was a fad.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

NovakOmaha wrote:
I don't see facebook dying any time soon, with or without your participation. People said McDonalds was a fad.
For sure, Facebook is still a hot item. I agree. I just mean that... Just like Facebook came along and "stole the show" from Myspace, making it dwindle, so something else could come right along someday and do the same thing to Facebook. Yet, I think Facebook is tied-in with "powers that be" more so, and is important (on a grander scale) for a variety of reasons...beyond our social connection & enjoyment.

Thanks for the link to the Myspace ordeal. I'll have to read that. Gotta run...
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

RockHarbor wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:
For sure, Facebook is still a hot item. I agree. I just mean that... Just like Facebook came along and "stole the show" from Myspace, making it dwindle, so something else could come right along someday and do the same thing to Facebook. Yet, I think Facebook is tied-in with "powers that be" more so, and is important (on a grander scale) for a variety of reasons...beyond our social connection & enjoyment.

You are dead right. Something will come along and replace Facebook. The odds of that happening have got to be well over 1000 to 1 :yes:
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:

You are dead right. Something will come along and replace Facebook. The odds of that happening have got to be well over 1000 to 1 :yes:
Facebook keeps messing with people with its news manipulation and bans of right wing groups.

The novelty of seeing other peoples' cat photos wears out.

I think that Facebook is fading in our generation and in the teens, it is what they use to talk to Grandma. I would put the odds at 25:1 of it going to its own MySpace. I would put the odds of declining, but still be big at 6:5.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

GrandpaSmucker: Are you serious? Do you actually think that Facebook will last forever -- and ever and ever? What has, btw?

Notice I said "someday." I don't know when "someday" will be. I also brought up the point that Facebook, with all its success for a decade now, seems tied-in more with the "powers that be", so I'm sure with their help, and all the money & riches the leaders make, it has more power to stay "ahead of the game" and "stay in the game" more than other social media sites -- like MySpace. For example, I believe Facebook bought Instagram.

I can remember when MySpace was the place to be, and Facebook was this "odd new site" that people were slowly jumping on, and I was reluctant. Then, I did jump on Facebook... And, more & more & more people jumped on it. The momentum was definitely building as time unfolded. It is amazing, actually -- imo.

BigRedMed: I almost feel like Facebook is fading a bit, too. (In fact, I bet that's why they are attempting to jump on the TV now. I bet they can see their usage is down, and they are trying to be everywhere we turn, and keep their relevance. Who knows...) For us older people, I think our "sweet reunions" with past faces is long over, and we just want to live our own lives -- especially us guys. I'm not speaking for everybody, of course. There are plenty of girls from HS/elementary connected, and they all support each other. It almost feels just like HS to me, and that's why I'm done. I had mostly a good HS experience, but still, I seriously was filled with way too many thoughts of HS (and HS people) for somebody my age. It feels good to be away, personally.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Girls make more long term friendships and talk on FB a lot. HS is a good metaphor. From my perspective High School is 4 years of |expletive| that you had to wade through in order to go to college. I was one of the outcasts in school and don't miss these people. I try to establish current era connections, and sometimes it works, other times it seems artificial.

The current teens are into other sites like Snapchat. That is why I think FB is heading for a fall.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

bigredmed wrote:Girls make more long term friendships and talk on FB a lot. HS is a good metaphor. From my perspective High School is 4 years of |expletive| that you had to wade through in order to go to college. I was one of the outcasts in school and don't miss these people. I try to establish current era connections, and sometimes it works, other times it seems artificial.

The current teens are into other sites like Snapchat. That is why I think FB is heading for a fall.
I always hear about that Snapchat, but I've never been on it. I think Instagram is fun, as it is a great way to even see daily pictures of different cities and architecture. But, they all take too much of my time. They are distracting...

I know what you mean about current connections. It's not that current people I meet nowadays are somehow more important than people I knew back in HS, it is just new connections aren't a reminder of a time of my life that is long over -- one that isn't healthy to dwell on too much.

I like many people I went to HS with, and think well of them. But, on Facebook, after not seeing any of them for almost 15 years, I was surrounded by them all again online (for almost a decade now). Because of enough commenting & "liking", I was almost fooled on a certain level, like I had relationships with them that were authentic & meaningful -- rooted in the past, with history to them. But, at the end of the day, they aren't "real relationships." (Same with many I went to college with -- people I don't even know all that well.) After the pivotal reunion, we never get together. We never see each other. And, I don't really think any of us really want to. But, we are forced to see each other, and keep in touch, on a surfacy level, at a "safe distance" from each other, on FB. It's kinda weird, actually...

I almost think it can possibly even hinder people from moving on, moving forward (vs. being stuck in the past), and meeting new people.

I'm sorry your high school experience wasn't the best. You know, who really cares about HS. It was only 4 years. It doesn't have to define entire lives. Some people had their "glory years" then, some may have them later. I'm glad it sounds better for you now.

As far as me: I was kind of "everybody's friend" in HS. I'm not cliquey. I was that way through elementary, and then I went on to a new middle school, and was pulled into the "popular group" dating a girl. Suddenly, I was forced to be more stuck-up acting, to be cliquey & exclusive. I even pushed away certain people. Instead of drawing & designing in my room after school (which I always enjoyed), I was suddenly expected at Godfather's Pizza later, or at some party, with the right clothes on, the right hair, the right attitude -- all at just 12 years old. I just didn't like it, so I wiggled my way out of it. Plus, I broke up with that girl, and some of them turned on me anyways... I thought: "NEVER be cliquey again." So, although I had close friends, I went back to being "everybody's friend" overall (everybody & anybody, from the "popular" to the "nerd"), and having my "creative time" alone after school, which was very important to me.
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

bigredmed wrote:Girls make more long term friendships and talk on FB a lot. HS is a good metaphor. From my perspective High School is 4 years of |expletive| that you had to wade through in order to go to college. I was one of the outcasts in school and don't miss these people. I try to establish current era connections, and sometimes it works, other times it seems artificial.

Even Instagram is getting dated already. I deleted mine, I only have a Snapchat now.
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Facebook is not going away any time soon. It may not be the hip trendy app which seems to be snapchat now, but it does seem to have serious staying power right now. It's got widespread use among all ages and demographics.

Greg
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Greg S wrote:Facebook is not going away any time soon. It may not be the hip trendy app which seems to be snapchat now, but it does seem to have serious staying power right now. It's got widespread use among all ages and demographics.

Greg
I'm sure you're right -- for sure. I keep my account there, even though I'm not as involved anymore. When you aren't on there entirely, you almost feel "out of the loop." In many ways, it is like an email system, with more bells & whistles. Like almost anything, it has pros & cons, and positive & negative effects. (For example: Many people have been fired due to Facebook, simply for being attached to co-workers, and posting a negative comment about their job/company within a hard moment on a hard day -- a comment they could have just mumbled to themselves within their cubicle.)

If it does fade away, and something else replaces it, I'm sure it will have to be a system with the same powerful "share your life" and "share your views" and "stay in touch" dynamics -- plus more.

I've heard everything you post on there goes into your file within a database south of Salt Lake City. I've heard that for years now. That doesn't effect me, as I don't have anything to hide. Yet, I'm not crazy about the idea of that either. It is something to keep in mind.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Greg S wrote:Facebook is not going away any time soon. It may not be the hip trendy app which seems to be snapchat now, but it does seem to have serious staying power right now. It's got widespread use among all ages and demographics.

Greg
I agree with this..

But I will say, the experience of Facebook today vs the experience in 2008 when I created my profile.. Is a much LESS satisfying experience. I'm still pretty active on that site, but not anywhere near as active as 7-8 years ago.. some of this is because of annoying FB posts by "friends".. most of it is because my newsfeed has become a de sheveled, unorganized ode to advertising...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Greg
I agree with this..

But I will say, the experience of Facebook today vs the experience in 2008 when I created my profile.. Is a much LESS satisfying experience. I'm still pretty active on that site, but not anywhere near as active as 7-8 years ago.. some of this is because of annoying FB posts by "friends".. most of it is because my newsfeed has become a de sheveled, unorganized ode to advertising...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I remind: Nobody said it was going away anytime soon. Some of us simply said that we feel it is fading a bit -- which you reinforced by sharing your experience nowadays compared to the past. To me, it feels like more people are backing away from it, growing tired & disinterested of it, and some are even turning their back on it.

I acknowledged the fact that "nothing lasts forever" (as far as earthly trends & fads go). I don't know who could argue that. McDonalds' staying power was mentioned, but that is a restaurant that feeds people food -- and they continue to aggressively advertise on TV, and continue to revamp their menu & style to "stay in the game." Also, like Micky D's, it is not uncommon for a good company to be founded way, way back -- like Ford.

Facebook is free. On their site, they say they always will be. Why is that? Well...as long as they keep millions tuned-in, they will have the major advertising dollars that make them filthy rich. Also, I think the "powers that be" likely want a tool like that keeps tabs on people -- tabs they can utilize if they need to, if they focus-in on somebody. (On news stations, if somebody is guilty of a crime, like a school shooting, they will feature their Facebook posts sometimes.) Not sure all the reasons, but those are two I can think of.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omaha Chamber President David Brown's take on Data Centers:
http://kfab.iheart.com/media/play/27642348/

its at the 23:40 part of the show
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

Did anyone hear that this is now going to be 3 buildings instead of 4? Still a massive project but in typical Omaha fashion it is being scaled down.
Somedude
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Somedude »

Trips wrote:Did anyone hear that this is now going to be 3 buildings instead of 4? Still a massive project but in typical Omaha fashion it is being scaled down.
Looks to be 2 building on the west side of HWY 50 and 1 on the east side.
Jrinehary
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Jrinehary »

Somedude wrote:
Trips wrote:Did anyone hear that this is now going to be 3 buildings instead of 4? Still a massive project but in typical Omaha fashion it is being scaled down.
Looks to be 2 building on the west side of HWY 50 and 1 on the east side.

Has anyone heated when the buildings ate going to be constructed or finished?
Jrinehary
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Jrinehary »

Anyone heard** when the buildings will be constructed or finished?
Somedude
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Somedude »

I heard from a contractor that work might begin in the next month.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Somedude wrote:I heard from a contractor that work might begin in the next month.
Raven Northbrook LLC
McGrath, North, Mullin & Kratz, PC LLO
Olsson Associates
Any guesses at who will be the general contractor?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (203.82 KiB) Viewed 4112 times
Somedude
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Somedude »

Coyote wrote:
Somedude wrote:I heard from a contractor that work might begin in the next month.
Raven Northbrook LLC
McGrath, North, Mullin & Kratz, PC LLO
Olsson Associates
Any guesses at who will be the general contractor?
image.jpeg

I noticed that Turner Construction had ad's in the paper looking for workers.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

[quote="Coyote"][/quote]

Oh, shoot. This means a new cut-in street onto NE-50? There goes that 65MPH racetrack into work. :-( Mebbe it'll wind up like the traffic light at ACI on US-6 in Gretna--tarped over due to lack of traffic.
WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association

Post by WBR_Tom »

There will be a press reference tomorrow morning at Papillion City Hall officially announcing the project, with the governor and an unnamed Facebook rep in attendance:

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/faceboo ... behavioral
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

WBR_Tom wrote:There will be a press reference tomorrow morning at Papillion City Hall officially announcing the project, with the governor and an unnamed Facebook rep in attendance:

I'll be very interested in the size/scope detail of this project. Great "get" for metro Omaha...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Somedude
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Somedude »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
WBR_Tom wrote:There will be a press reference tomorrow morning at Papillion City Hall officially announcing the project, with the governor and an unnamed Facebook rep in attendance:

I'll be very interested in the size/scope detail of this project. Great "get" for metro Omaha...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Building #1 which will sit on the north side of the west side of hwy 50 will be about 600K SF, as of right now that is the only building that is moving forward.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

The announcement: http://www.omaha.com/money/facebook-to- ... 0baa4.html

Looks like 100 or so workers after it is completed.